“Another lazy decadent lunch at the Le Dupleix!”
Review of Governor's Lounge

Governor's Lounge
Ranked #218 of 370 Restaurants in Pondicherry
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chennai
“Another lazy decadent lunch at the Le Dupleix!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Sunday summer afternoons in Pondicherry have to be spent indoors in cool air-conditioned comfort with a cold glass of rose in hand - and there is no where better to spend it than at the Governor's Lounge at the Le Dupleix!

We made a rushed booking for a group of 12, and expecting pandemonium at lunch - we found that the chef and his team coped quite well. The kids ordered their food quite quickly, and the dishes came out fast - a well done classic tenderloin for my son (the missing mushroom sauce and steak knife, quickly brought after!). A bottle of Sula Zinfandel Rose took a while to come, and it perhaps was not as cold as we would have liked - but we were not in a hurry, so the bottle cooled while we drank it.

For mains, my wife and I ordered the basha (sic. bassa) with parchment - tender and subtle, while I had the red snapper fillets. Both dishes were delicious, and I got to enjoy my son's leftover steak too! The steak's accompaniements were excellent - caramellised sweet carrots (that tasted like dried mango!) and beetroots! Desserts were a bit disappointing - they had run out of tiramaisu, so we settled for crumbly brownies and a sweet vanilla ice cream - that kind of did OK (more about where we went for desserts is in another review).

Service was good, considering the size of our group, and the pressure it put on the staff. Manivannan was unflappable, and remained calm and composed through the service, as was Visbeino - always smiling and gracious.

This is the best meal in Pondicherry by a mile, and they do it in style - I love the small pampered touches like the cold towels and small breads and dips.

Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2012

Wellington, New Zealand
“Delicious food in a classy courtyard”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Considering the very classy travel-magazine-level surroundings, the food is quite reasonable (250-350 Rs per entree). The food is delicious, the service is great. Perfect for couples. Be sure to get a table in the courtyard.

• Visited February 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“great ambiance and amazing food”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

This bar claims to be Pondicherry's first bar. Though I'm not sure of this, this however don't affect my opinion on this bar. They have some of the amazing cocktails besides the regular collection of spirits.

The hotel is a restored heritage building and the interiors of the bar is intricately beautiful. The adjoining restaurant that is interestingly located in the courtyard has some delectable food to offer. The gnochi I had there was definitely one of the best I have ever had and so was the French onion soup.

1 Thank Saarthak_Mahapatra