“Siliguri as a base for Darjeeling, Sikkim and Bhutan” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Sarovar Portico

Royal Sarovar Portico
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Siliguri
Chennai
“Siliguri as a base for Darjeeling, Sikkim and Bhutan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

Royal Sarovar Premiere is probably the best hotel in Siliguri. It's bang on the Sevoke Road where the town ends to give way to the beautiful road to the hills. The hotel gym is average, but the swimming pool is lovely. Maybe because there was none else using the pool, I thoroughly enjoyed my solo non-stop swims for 20-30 laps at a time. The buffet breakfast and dinner were good and healthy. I didn't try non-veg. The restaurant staff were courteous. So were the front desk people. Overall an enjoyable stay, despite the town being very dull. Please drive to the picturesque Teesta river.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Kolkata
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

I usually stay at this hotel on my trip to Siliguri, but this time I wasnt satisfied at all. The staff acted in a very funny way. I called from phone before checking in and they told me that rate is Rs 6000 + tax for superior room. I usually get a corporate rate of Rs 3500 + taxes. I booked it through the internet makemytrip.com and got it for Rs 3800 + tax. When I mentioned about my corporate rate they told me the hotel was sold out. I must say, pathetic behaviour to make more money, which isnt well defined by hotel of this repute.

Secondly, they gave me a superior room where electronic card system wasnt working. It took me 5 mins for me to open the room by the different key. They dont know how to take care of their guests for sure, neither did they arrange anyone to fix the same.

Thirdly, the cabs arranged from the hotel are very expensive. They are twice the price of what you get outside in the town. They say its the travel agents rates , but its their rate. I paid Rs 800 + taxes for airport drop whereas the rates are Rs 400 + taxes.

Confused staff, not realising what guests want in a 5 star hotel. They treat them like 2 stars hotel do.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2010

On our return from Darjeeling, my husband and I decided to stay at this hotel on a friend's recommendation. The rooms were spacious enough and the hotel is very modern, but the only thing I can recommend to others about this place is the great restaurant.
The hot water in the bath room did not work at all, even after the "technicians" ran it for 30 minutes. The drainage in the bathroom was so poor that the whole of the slippery marble floor was deluged by cold shower water.
The Manager and the Housekeeper appeared to be locked into a tussle over the question of our changing rooms. The Manager finally prevailed and we moved to another room with hot water from a hand-held shower and very poor drainage in the bathroom.
Staff were offhand and reluctant to act on our polite request to change rooms. The advertised fruit platter never materialised, nor did the cookies....though that was a very minor matter compared to the need for reliable hot water in winter. The Manager advised we could take a hotel taxi to the Post Office to post a parcel home, but that the cost of this 2 km journey would be 800 rupees. We opted for a share tuk-tuk at a cost of 40 rupees!
Wifi internet was also advertised but was inaccessible in the rooms and the so called "business centre" was one of the office computers, which offered no privacy at all.
We were so glad to leave this hopeless and rude place, though the restaurant food was excellent!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Marie B
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

We came to this hotel late in the evening, after gruesome 11 hrs' drive from Thimphu, Bhutan, and felt so welcome! The premises are excellent, and the staff was so nice and polite, without being pushy as often happens in India. There are a lot of little things that make such a difference, like a small box of candy waiting on your bed, and a tray of frech fruit and bicuits on the coffee table. The breakfast was awesome, with a lot of Indian and western dishes, and the staff again so friendly. We can highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tuovi
Kolkata
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed last time in Siliguri tour. The hotel room service is very good. Foods in the restaurant is just superb but overall the hotel is very expensive. Good to stay if pocket or company permits. I enjoyed massage in the spa. Which is very refreshing.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank knightrider7
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

We stayed here for a night before going to Darjeeling. It was convienently located but it was expensive for waht you recieved. It advertised that the hotel had a swimming pool, when we arrived we were informed that although the hotel had a swimming pool it was not filled with water! The staff were not very appologetic about this. When we went for a walk outside the hotel, the village is very busy and there was not much to do.
The hotel also organised a car to take us to the railway station but it was expensive.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank scotlandgirl100
India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for first time in April 2010. I got a good deal, and I would say they have one of the best rooms in Siliguri.
The restaurant has a lavish Lunch and Buffet spread, and the food is delicious. I have eaten there 3 times, and found the food to be very nice!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business