“Fantastic Hotel”
Review of Hotel Mar y Sol

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Los Cristianos
Hotel Mar y Sol
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel the facilities for wheelchair users and other disabled people young and old where very good . The food was lovely a very good choice catering for most tastes . We were welcomed on arrival by a lovely young man called Kevin he continued to chat to us during our stay all staff were very friendly and helpful I wish I could name them all but there are too many Well done

Room Tip: The only comments I can make would be upgrade to a larger room if u can and pre order all additional...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank stuartbongo

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel for its facilities for our daughter who is in a wheelchair. It also has the advantage of a facility next door where equipment for disabled travellers can be hired/delivered to this hotel. We organised holiday through holiday company Enable. On arrival, there was no welcome and indeed we had to queue to register. Equipment hired in advance was not all in one room and electric wheelchair was missing altogether. This was all sorted out by us but when wheelchair came, it had controls on wrong side so we had to wait one day for this to be resolved. Enabled advised prior to travel that towels for pool were available but we were advised at cost of €35 per week for 5. We complained vociferously and got this reduced to that price for 2 werks. We had to pay to get TV on in room, for safe and also had to pay deposit for hairdryer. Rooms, pool area and restaurant were all in need of refurbishment as they were all very spartan and 80s like. Food was plentiful but ordinary. There were hoists to get disabled visitors into pools which was the main reason for going there. We were advised by other guests not to travel with Enable in future as they hsd done so previously costing £300 more than other travel companies. All said, we had a good holiday but given excessive cost of ttop, we failed to get any luxury from hotel itself which was money-grabbing and in need of updating. In future we will look for better quality hotel with facilities for our daughter.

Room Tip: Opt for poolside room or non standard option above reception.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Neillands18
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My sister and I took my brother (who is cerebrally palsied and uses a wheelchair) to Mar-Y-Sol for the 3rd time in June 2013.
It is absolutely fantastic. Sis and I are not getting any younger and staff could not have been more helpful - from Rueben on reception (who slips easily and admirably into at least 4 languages!) to the restaurant staff (who will bring you anything if you can't carry it) to cleaners (regular clean linen and towels and scrupulously clean apartments and public areas) to sports and entertainment staff and therapy centre (we all had a back massage by the very able and professional Sara)
You can hire ANYTHING from Lero hire centre to help with disabilities, from pool floats to electric scooters to special beds and even care help. Your choice of shower chair comes free with the booking, There is a pick up service from the airport and free shuttle down to the beach daily.
The food is fantastic - full international cuisine(we even got a normally burgers and chips bro. to eat vegetables and salad!) but they also had special theme nights(Asian and Spanish) and also chefs on hand who cooked specials in front of you at breakfast and evening meal.Every salad, fruit veg and cereal you could wish for, yoghurts, juices, deserts and more than 8 choices of main in the evening (even the odd burger and pizza if you just refuse to be adventurous!)

There are loads of lifts (all working when we were there!) lots of little patios with sunbeds at various levels, wide accessible corridors, 3 fab pools with hoists. a gym, a sports hall, outdoor chess, snooker and table tennis, a wifi room and free library - i could have stayed a month easily!! In fact, prices were so reasonable, my partner and I are going again for a week later in the year. It is great value for disabled people who have to also pay for a carer place - 1/2 the price of others we have visited - and twice the value.

Although Mar-Y-Sol is billed as a hotel - (we have been going since 1998) we regard it as a perfect package with all the amenities needed for disabled people and their families. They also welcome non-disabled people and it is an excellent deal for older people as everything is so accessible and staff are so friendly and helpful.

55 stars!!!!! well done Mar-Y-Sol

Denise

Room Tip: ask for one overlooking the pools - the light is wonderful and you can see the sea from most rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank deneecy
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have been to this hotel 4 times and cannot fault it. The facilities available are really good for wheelchair users and also able bodied. It's a lovely walk from Los Cristianos to las Americas and there is good access to the disabled beach. They have very tasty lemonade which quenches your thirst on a summers day once you have one you have to go back for more! The staff are very friendly and help out with all your needs. The are 3 pools and one pool has a hoist which allowed me to get out of my wheelchair to go in and swim. The pool is heated and has good water features to massage your body. There is a ledge which allows people to sun bathe in the water. The hotel rooms have nice accessible balconies to relax on. They have different themes at the restaurant each night and they provide accessories to fit in with the theme. Cocktails are available at the cocktail bar.

I really enjoy going to this hotel and am hoping to return some time this year for my 5th time. I would highly recommend it for anyone who has a disability. There are doctors and nurses on site and equipment such as hoists and beds available to hire. I have not found anywhere else as good as this in any other country.

Andrew Fraser

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

we stayed in victorla court 1 and our apt was a few yards from mar-y-sol. we stayed for 3 weeks in may 2013. our holiday was ruined by the noise of renovation work coming from the mar-y-sol complex. work went on from 9-00 til 17-00 six days a week -- the builders took sunday off. there is hammering, drilling and the awful scream of the tile-cutting machine all day long. these renovations seem to be going on all round the complex. the noise is mentioned in the guest book from august 2011 so it seems like an ongoing long-term project, running for months or even years. if you are considering staying at mar-y-sol it may be prudent to check you are not near any of this work as you would not want to go through the racket we had to endure.

Room Tip: avoid renovation work
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank thommoblackpool
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights back in April. 4/5 days were great, handy location & the pool is top range, however on our last day the assistant manager was very rude to myself and my partner when I inquired (subtly) about finding something unpleasant in our room. Her attitude was highly defensive. I've traveled the world with my partner and have never encountered such hostility towards a customer. Whilst the location of the hotel is great, for those who use manual wheelchairs the hill it is situated on is fairly steep.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Leo27_13
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I visited this hotel with my mother, who uses a manual wheelchair and is able to walk short distances. We were absolutely amazed by how well accessibility has been considered at this hotel, not to mention elsewhere in Los Cristianos! All walkways have ramps and there is a free transportation from Mar y Sol to an accessible beach, Las Vistas.

Right next to Mar y Sol, there is an equipment rental agency LeRo, from which we rented e.g. an electric wheelchair and other equipment to complement our holiday. LeRo also handles the accessible transportations from and to the Tenerife South airport.

Mar y Sol provides all sorts of activities. The heated pool was great for doing physio exercises and the gym hall provided a chance to play boccia, for example. In the evenings, there was always program at the restaurant (karaoke, quizzes, live music). The buffet was wonderful both for breakfast and dinner: there was always a large selection of food to taste. The staff was friendly and very easy-going.

The only downsides I can think of are the uphill location of the hotel and some glitches with internet connections. Pushing a manual wheelchair from the beach avenue up to the hotel was hard - consider renting an electric wheelchair from LeRo or taking a taxi, which is cheap. With internet, the connections were rather slow at times. Note that there is a free wi-fi available and two PCs (with a fee of few euros).

All in all, we will definitely visit Mar y Sol again in the future for easy vacationing that caters for special needs!

Room Tip: Already when making your reservations, you can ask for a shower chair to be delivered to the room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family