“Very Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Manchester
“Very Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at Villa Mandi and I'm really surprised by the number of 5 star reviews for this hotel. It is a good clean 3 star not the 4T as rated by Thompson. The rooms are pretty good spacious and kept very clean. Cleaning and maintenance staff very friendly which is more than can be said for the arrogant man on reception I think he thought he was in Claridges. The first week hot water was off/on/off/on again very frustrating. Especially as it seemed to go off between 3pm and 7pm (when most people want to shower/bath) The outdoor pool is supposed to be heated but it wasn't while we were there it was freezing despite assurances from reception that maintenance would look into it - it was never fixed. There was a real shortage of parasols around the pool. This is supposed to be a family hotel not good when the sun is scorching and you cannot find shade for your child. It seemed like you had to get up ultra early to do the whole reserving of sunbeds/parasol thing which I hate. The child play area was below average for a family resort just a small plastic climbing frame with slide. I cannot believe that anyone thought the food here was good never mind OK. It was terrible. The children’s menu was worse than terrible it was appalling. Burger/chips, chicken nugget/chips, hot dog/chips. The meat quality was dire I actually felt like a bad parent watching my daughter eat it. The restaurant manager should review the ‘Watermelon’ restaurant in Los Christianos (and the other restaurants on the same row) to see what good quality food and surroundings are and take a leaf out of their book. Don’t even get me started on the number of drunk eastern Europeans’ on their balcony’s @ 2 in the morning. We stayed in the ‘Viva Tropic’ in Alcudia last year and this place does not even come close to comparing (plus they didn’t charge for towels and TV!) We had a great time in Los C but mainly because we ate out and spent most days at the beach and on trips. We wouldn’t go back and I wouldn’t recommend to my friends with families like I have with other resorts in the past.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank louise&andy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wallsend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

just got back this morning from Villa Mandi (11th may) and me and my partner had a fantastic stay here. Room 341 was ours and is in a lovely position with late afternoon and evening sun to relax on your balcony.Apartment very spacious and lovely and clean and of high standard apart from the kitchen area needs a bit of tlc although we dont go on holiday to cook! The whole complex is tended to daily and its so hard to find any faults at all. Pools great but a little cold even though it was 27-30 degrees daily. We would definetely stay here again without hesitation and the reception staff and bar staff were great and id like to say an extra thank you to the waiter whos name i dont know( bald head and lives in Las Galletas) What a great guy

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WENDY J
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a 2-bed apartment, which was very spacious with three balconies and even had a circular sunken bath! Let down a wee bit by the kitchen which was tiny and really a bit inadequate for a proper self catering holiday. We ate at the on site restaurant most nights, which was ok. Food wasn't amazing but reasonable value at €10 for steak. €3 for a pint of beer. Staff were great with the kids, always quick to produce a pacifying lollipop if one got upset! Thomson staff were great at keeping them entertained, with kids club during the day, games by the pool and evening entertainment too. Villa Mandi is very pretty with a nice setting, and views of surrounding hills, but it's a shame it's 25 minutes walk to the beach. Our kids aged 3 and 4 didn't like that! Would consider going again but wonder if it might feel a bit crowded in peak season.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank tain76
wirral
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at Villa Mandi over the May Bank holiday. The accommodation is very comfortable and clean. The view from our room number (number 331) was beautiful overlooking the pool and golf course. The staff are very friendly and polite (apart from the Manageress who was arrogant, ignorant, blatantly rude and unprofessional, we had a few issues when we first arrived and she was so unhelpful, it was finally resolved by the Thomson Rep who informed us that there were many others who had the same experience). However that didn't stop us enjoying our break away. The hotel is about a twenty minute walk from Los Cristianos and a bit out of the way, but the hotel does have a shuttle bus that will take you into town. The food was average, nothing spectacular but fairly priced. The hotel is really suited for families with young children, or people who wish not to be in the centre of everything. We would return to this hotel for a short break as it had a good friendly family atmosphere.

Room Tip: 331 has roof terrace, large balcony and overlooks pool and golf course
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank djes7
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the Villa Mandi for two weeks. We were situated next to the kids playground, which was brilliant for our 4 year old son. It was shady round this area from about 12 noon until 4pm so if it was too hot by the pools we were able to go and read on our balcony while he played.

The on-site supermarket was small but well stocked and had English newspapers first thing in the morning.

Reasonable priced food at both the restaurant and the bar. Very clean and the staff were great. Alcohol was on the pricey side, but with a little on, we didn't drink too much anyway. Glasses were kept in the freezer so they were icy cold!!!

The entertainment at the hotel was really good, something different every night. The barbecue nights were good and the Thomson's kids club was great.

Some reviews on here feel that the hotel was in a poor location, but for us it was great. About 15 minutes to walk into Las Americas and then we got a tax home for around 8 Euros. Pretty close to Siam Park. Los Christianos was around 15 minute walk also. As it was away from the hustle and bustle of the night life of both these towns, we never heard any noise at night. This was brilliant for our family.

The hotel provided excursions and information on touristy things. They had good knowledge of the whole island and spoke very good English, which was nice, as our Spanish is pretty awful....

Overall, a brilliant trip!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Haberdashery
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Here at the moment. Top floor room with roof balcony, paid 25 Euro per night extra on arrival for this. Perfect so we can sunbathe. We are next door to the golf course with nice views. The flowers are well tended and the outside areas are well looked after.

Plenty of cleaning going on. Our room is spacious with good sized bathroom. The floor was filthy though. When I showed a member of staff a photo of the bottom of my foot which was black, they went to clean it immediately and it was the evening. The wallpaper is peeling in places, not sure why they dont glue it back on. As well as our roof terrace we had a balcony with a table and chairs.

We had a kettle and toaster, 2 hotplates and a fridge. There is four of each item in the cupboards. Things you might want to take with you:

Paper plates
Kitchen roll
Washing up gloves
Washing up liquid
J cloth
Kitchen roll
Tea towel
Tupperware or cling film
We also take toaster bags with us (Lakeland) so we can make toasties in the toaster

Unfortunately there are extras some of which we felt should be included in the price we paid (nearly £2000 for a week for 2 adults and 1 child)

UK TV 14 euro a week
Internet 20 euro a week for one device only
Safe 15.75 euros a week
25 euro a day for room upgrade
1.30 euros per day for pool towels (6 euro deposit)

We found the internet to be patchy unless we stayed near the front desk. Each time we wanted to use the internet we had to put in a code and code password which was a complete pain.

You really need a car at this resort it is a bit far to walk into town. We found the price of the buffet food reasonable. We had breakfast included, a large spread including most things you could think of. The ice cream was expensive. The supermarket is quite expensive so we just bought newspapers and bread there really.

The main pool was heated and in the evening there are colour changing lights, a nice touch. We were not disturbed by any noise at all but I dont think the hotel is full.

In all a nice resort. The golf course next door is stunning, not cheap for a round though - 60 euro with hotel discount.

Please give me a helpful tick if you found this useful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
28 Thank WindsorHillsPad
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have been to this resort twice on a large family holiday. The first time we went was fantastic, the staff just couldn't do enough for you and the restaurant manager and his team were just excellent with the children and the food was really good if slightly expensive, however the little touches were worth it. Every evening that we ate there the children were amused by the waiting staff and the manager who were wonderful and we were given a few jugs of sangria on the house a few nights at the end of the meal and some chef creations to test drive in nibble size. Just little touches but made all of the difference to our stay. The accommodation was spotless and the grounds were lovely, I had absolutely no criticisms whatsoever with anything. Because of this we decided as a family to go back the following year. This time it just wasn't the same. The apartments etc were spotless, but room service was less and without request I doubt our sheets would of been changed. The restaurant manager and some of the lovely waiting team were still there as lovely as ever but with the addition unfortunately of a surly young waitress. One night in the restaurant I ordered a pizza and asked to leave the capers off. Everyone's meal arrived except for mine which came 10 mins after everyone elses, on top of it were... wait for it.... yep you guessed it...capers. I politely explained to the waitress that I had asked for no capers and she began to argue with me that I hadn't to the point other diners were looking over. I ended up having to be rather firm and insist I asked for the capers off and could she please make sure the capers were off this time and actually serve me what I had ordered and would be paying good money for. She stormed off, yes she literally snatched my plate up and stormed into the kitchen with my order and this time 20 mins later arrived back with a half raw egg on my pizza. The white of the egg just had a layer of clear jelly across it and I could not physically stomach it. I know this is not how it is served as I had this order many times before and it has never been like this. I was so fed up and hungry at this point and everyone else had finished eating that I just got up and left and had a wander to burger king on the sea front. A good 20 minute walk. Needless to say I didn't eat in the restaurant again during my stay and wont be going again. nine times out of ten the staff at a resort help make your holiday, and it was the staff as much as anything else that made Villa Mandi so special. It only takes one bad apple to rot the whole cart, in this case the surly young restaurant waitress. It really has put us off going back to this resort anytime soon and as such we're having a change and visiting Sharm el Sheikh instead this year. My three star rating gives an average only because of the previous visit to Villa Mandi.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Green Garden Resort & Suites
Green Garden Resort & Suites
#4 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,596 reviews

Been to Villa Mandi Golf Resort? Share your experiences!