“Los Alisios - Los Avoidos”
Review of Los Alisios

Los Alisios
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Scotland
“Los Alisios - Los Avoidos”
Reviewed June 26, 2009

My wife and myself are seasoned travellers to the Canaries, going 2-3 times a year during the past 12 years. Not through choice but other factors we have holidayed in either Gran Canaria or Lanzarote exclusively during the last 4-5 years. So it was with a certain amount of child like excitement we found ourselves revisiting Tenerife and Los Cristianos for the first time in five years.

We travelled with Globespan for the first time and would recommend them and use them again, found them to be better in all aspects compared to Thomas Cook and Thomson. Especially may I say with regards legroom.

Thereafter we found ourselves at the Los Alisios apartments. I extensively review any accommodation via the Internet and in particular Tripadviser. One cannot escape the fact that “one mans poison is another mans elicitor of life”. So every one is allowed their opinion.

Nevertheless we were disappointed with the accommodation and even more disappointed with Tenerife.

First of all the accommodation, I can imagine when this complex first opened in 1997, it would have been very grand and most impressive. The Canarian style is most impressive and the rooms, balconies and terraces are large and well built.

However when they say this accommodation was renovated in 2007, there are joking. It was given an outside paint job only. The inside is dated, so much so, you would to take a DNA sample to locate the exact year of some of the items in the apartments.

The kitchen area is worn, old, marked and uninviting. The doorframes have nails sticking out of them. The window frames have gaps, and they even have duck tape on the bottom of the doors to conceal gaps. Chipped and broken tiles are scattered about the apartments as well.

The bedroom and bathrooms are the best areas of the apartments. The insides need drastic renovation immediately.

As previously mentioned noise is and can be an issue. There are three blocks A-B-C and each comes with its own poison chalice.

Block A usually has families and groups of younger people, such as stag and hen parties. Therefore you can have the rowdy noise before bed and during the night.
Or as I experienced you may bump into Paul Gascoignes, pal Jimmy 5 bellies, Uncle Geordie 7 bellies. Who thinks it is alright for their sprogs to shine laser lights into people’s eyes at 12.30am. When you approach them they give you a phrase obviously picked up from the Karma Sutra, the only book they understand due to it having pictures in it. A most charming individual….NOT….

Block B is mainly residential, and therein lies the problem when Hotels start to sell off parts of the accommodation. Once sold, their authority and power over the occupants of the residential areas disappears and they have limited control.

Block C is part residential and part holidaymakers.

We stayed in Block C. We were given a top floor room, as we had requested, so plus points there, however we were above room 404C, which houses one of the dogs which some people have previously referred to. If you find yourself in Block C, good luck. The residents of the aforementioned have an Alsatian. Now not knowing their full details, they seem to work and also have days and nights off. If you find yourself staying during any of the nights they go out to party, may your God be with you. This dog is trained as a killer guard dog. We stayed above their apartment, when it is left in, if anybody uses the lift, is or is within 100 feet of the apartment the dog goes mental. It actually bounces itself off the door and walls whilst barking CONSTANTLY!!!!.

The owners sometimes did not return until 5.00am we had nights from hell from 10.00pm until 05.00am, fortunately only a couple. When you report to reception their response is to shrug there shoulders and even suggests there is no dog. The following morning when again addressing the noise, reception offer a room change to below the dog, HELLO!

As for Tenerife and Los Cristianos I saw someone recently say this was on a comparison with Puerto Del Carmen. I think not, any one who uses the La Penita and then visits here, will find the contrast for two supposedly 3* accommodations to be quite overwhelmingly obvious.

Los Cristianos is full of looky looky men thrown out of Gran Canaria and Lanzarote, shop owners trying to add “TAX” to any price on the shelves and taxi drivers who try to shaft you.

Tenerife had its chance to entice my wife and myself back into the fold. It failed, not miserably, the weather was fantastic, but nevertheless its back to Gran Canaria and Lanzarote for us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CanaryboyScotland

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Finnish first
rotherham
Reviewed June 17, 2009

when we 1st got to alisios i wasnt too keen but as the holiday went on i enjoyed it the only problem was its quite far from the beach but the walking did me good. i really enjoyed it at alisios and in tenerife very freindly staff and nice facilities. also i advise down the road theres a little cafe next to the tenerife sur called munchies try that place absolutly lovely food and the people who work there are spot on
overall good apartment would recomend
one improvement needed is tv channels

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank gillyRotherham
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My wife, 12 year old son, 3 and 1 year old daughters and I stayed at Los Alisios at Easter this year.

We loved it and had none of the complaints mentioned by previous correspondents.

Yes the rooms are dated and the pool is cold, but apart from these minor problems I thought the holiday as a whole was excellent. We didn't want to leave.

The staff worked tirelessly keeping the public areas clean and tidy. We had ample clean towels every day, and the bar and cafe prices were reasonable.

If you want somewhere to laze by the pool by day and just a short distance from a wide choice of bars, shops and restaurants then Los Alisios is ideal. One word of warning though, the apartments are built on an incline.

Los Cristianos is fantastic, very family orientated. Don't bother buying food to cook as it is just as cheap to eat out for every meal. We found a spot where you could have a full English breakfast for 1 Euro!!!! and a pint of local lager for 90 cents!!!!

We walked into Playa de las Americas (about 1/2 hour's stroll) along the front which was very pleasant with the sea breeze blowing. Americas has changed for the better since I was last here in 2002. Gone are a lot of the 'Blackpool' style shops and in their place is shopping and restaurants to put many a city centre to shame. It is bigger and brasher than many resorts, but stick to Los Cristianos and you won't be disappointed.

We went to the new 'Siam Kingdom' water park, great fun for all ages, and to the 'Jungle Park', which again we all loved.

We are lucky enough to be able to go on holiday 3-4 times a year and can honestly say this was one of the best spots we have been to. We love Puerto Del Carmen, but I must admit that Los Cristianos is not very far behind. It's that good.

If you think this part of Tenerife is only for bucket and spade brigade families, our next holidays are to a eco-resort off the coast of Cuba in July, Vegas in October (just my wife, friends and I), and then Puerto Del Carmen at Easter next year. There's something for everyone here.

All in all, if you are looking for reasonable accommodation in a fantastic resort at a good price than Los Alisios in Los Cristianos won't disappoint.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My Mum and I stayed in Los Alisios last weekend for 3 nights - worst 3 nights ever. When we arrived, I explained to the receptionist that I could not print out my confirmation booking email because my printer was broken -but I had the email booking confirmation number and photo ID, but she was so ignorant - she told me I we could not book in until I had the email printed!! She sent us down to the complex 'poolbar' to print it out - so I paid to go online and was then told that their printer was broken - so they sent me back to reception and the receptionist let me use her computer to print out the email! Why couldnt she just let me do that in the first place! It took only 30 seconds.
When we finally got the key of the apartment about 1 hour later after sitting around waiting for their cleaner to finish, the first thing we noticed is that the door of the apartment was forced in the past - and the wooden oanel with the door handle was just stuck back on with silicone!! Disgraceful! The windows inside the apartment also had no locks whatsoever, so anybody would have just walked into the apartment in the middle of the night - ridiculous! I spent every night barricading up the door and windows with chairs - we did not feel one bit safe! I certainly do not recommend staying in this hell-hole!

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank Suntraveller123

Travelers are raving about these Los Cristianos hotels

west midlands
Reviewed May 4, 2009

loved the apartment very spacious and very clean towels changed every day staff lovely and helpful ,pool area really lovely, had read some reviews that wern't too good but i cant fault anything a great break,,, suppose you cant please all of the people all of the time,,,me i'd go back tomorrow.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed April 23, 2009

we have just returned from a great holiday at los alisios. the apatment and very spacious and clean. the whole hotel was clean and beautiful kept plants around. pool was lovely but a bit cold, this apartment was excellent value for money. some of the other hotels around did not appear as nice nor did they have big balconys. the staff were friendly and helpfull. the only down side is it is quite a walk from the beach, and a long walk up hill back. there are great resturants around catering for all, good value and good food. a good day out is the jungle park. ther is no entertainment at this apartment, this did not bother us as it was such a relaxed atmosphere. all in all a relaxing break!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Having spent a fantastic week at Los Alisios I decided to write and tell other prospective guests about our stay there.

The apartments are quite large and cleaned regularly but we didn’t spend that much time in them anyway as there was so much to do in the local area. There are many bars and restaurants to visit and many have entertainment on in the evenings also. We also decided to take a couple of tours in that were advertised in reception at the hotel which filled the days and we also spent the occasional evening by the pool drinking at the pool bar they have at the hotel.

The pool area at the hotel is quite large so even on the days that we spent by the side of the pool we didn’t feel claustrophobic at all and because of it’s position the pool actually gets sun almost all of the day, even in winter.

The staff were friendly and most spoke English which makes your stay a lot easier and they also helped with their exceptional knowledge of the island and the places to visit. Los Alisios is definitely worth another visit.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple