“No sleep...wont be going back.”

Apartamentos Aguamar
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We just got back from a 7 night stay on half board basis at this hotel, was our first and will be the last time.
The staff are polite enough.
The Apartments are clean but do need updating, please be aware that the corner apartments are very small so avoid if you can. There is no air con but you can hire a fan in reception at a charge. In the room you have 2 single beds pushed together which wouldn't be a major problem if the mattress were comfortable but they are not, and if you are unlucky enough to have to sleep on the sofa then you really will have a bad night sleep, the pull out bed is just bearable but the sofa itself has a mattress of a couple of inches thick, very uncomfortable even for our 8 year old.
The restaurant was very disappointing, again there was no air con, so you are best to grab one of the few tables outside if you want to have your meal without sweating. The food is poor, almost everything comes from a can, and there isn't a great choice. On half board basis you get breakfast and dinner but you have to pay for your drinks at dinner an average of 10 Euros for 2 cokes and 2 juices. I recommend The Orange Tree run by Karen & Stuart, just a couple of mins down the road, lovely food and cheap, we went there every day for lunch.
The swimming pool area...oh dear! Please be aware that the pictures are very deceiving, the swimming pool is a lot smaller than it looks and it needs updating, there are loose and broken tiles, my 8 year old cut her foot and we informed reception but they couldn't care less. Lets start with about 8.30 in the morning where you have to go and join the madness that is trying to get a sun lounger, these are chained at night so everyone gets up and marks their spot with their towels while they wait for the sun loungers to be unchained and then all hell breaks loose as people grab sun loungers as if their lives depend on it and by 9.15 all you see is all these sun loungers with towels on but not a soul in sight, this is despite the fact that there are notices everywhere asking guest to not reserve sun loungers, no one cares! On a busy day sun loungers are literally so close together you can't put a foot between them. If you want a mat for your sun lounger you have to hire one at reception for 1.5 euro per day, the same goes for a parasol, this is 2 euros per day.
The hotels wi-fi is a totally wast of money, we paid 20 Euros for the week and we could not get nothing in our apartment on the 4th floor, signal was a bit better by the pool but we still kept getting disconnected every few minutes.
There is a launderette with a couple of washing machines and a tumble dryer, I used the dryer and it cost me 4 Euros for 45 mins.
As far as location and cleanliness cant fault it but for comfort forget it, we came back home more physically tired than before we went on holiday.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at this hotel, avoid corner apartments, they are much smaller.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank zita1975
There are newer reviews for Apartamentos Aguamar

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed half board for a week, found it to be good value, no frills accommodation and food. Basic and tidy rooms with a nice and clean pool area. Location good, and while there was not a massive rage of options, the food quality was good. Would have ranked this hotel as good, but can only class average or very good on Tripadvisor!, so would rate it 3.5 out of five. Would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stephen m
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I returned today from a 7 night stay at the Aguamar apartments with my husband and two year old son. I booked this hotel having read the goods reviews on trip advisor. However, i think before you book this hotel you need to consider what standards you expect from a hotel. I don't want to sound snobbish in anyway but I do like to shop in sainsburys occasionally m&s don't tend to buy the value range as I like a fair standard of quality. I felt from reading the reviews this would be something that would be offered having paid a fair price for the holiday.

However, I was very wrong. On arrival I can't fault the woman receptionist as she managed to get us a ground floor pool apartment but I was not aware of the tired looking condition this was in. The room looked nothing like the pictures, it was very run down, the cupboards in the kitchen didn't close due to the poor fitting and it generally needed totally revamping.

There was no air con at all and possibly this was my fault for not researching prior to booking but it was unbearably hot in the room and very uncomfortable. The pool looks nothing like the pictures at all in anyway much much smaller. It again is very very tired looking and in the child's pool the mosaic tiles are coming loose therefore this resulting in my two year old cutting his knee when climbing out of the pool. I can say the cleaners work very hard cleaning the pool and rooms everyday and it always looks clean just very run down.

It is the same old story with the sun beds,you have around 100 people waiting to get a Sunbed for when they release them at 9am, all the beds are gone within 5-10mins and then by 9.10am there is not one single person sat on them!! I even took photos as it just proved how selfish the people were. What was more frustrating, which may not be entirely the hotels fault but something they need to address was families/couples were taking up beds especially around the small child's pool and then going out for the day. This was noticed as we went down to the beach everyday and decided as it was our last day we would spend half at the beach and half at the pool so I could pack. We were sat getting some lunch on the beach front which is around 30minutes to the playa vistas beach from the hotel and the family that had taken around 8 Sunbed were down the beach. Thinking they would of gave there sun beds up as they were now down the beach as it was around 1pm oh no when we returned to the hotel all 8 beds still had an odd garment or towel on. This therefore resulting in me having to lay my towel on the pool side as there was no sun beds (the family returned around 5pm!!).

Where do I start with the food!! On arrival we asked the waiter the procedure for dinner and he showed us the options. We then poured our child a very watered down orange juice from the machine. suddenly we had a family complaining that we had got a drink from the machine and was abruptly told by the female waitress that we were jot entitled to this. We ordered two drinks in which were slammed down on the table almost knocking them over not a good experience at all. I know I must sound like I never stop moaning but I feel people need an honest opinion. If you don't mind shopping in farmfoods/icelands etc which is what some families survive on then this maybe ok? There is a lot of tinned veg, tinned sausages not my cup of tea. The fruit looked battered and old and after the first night (we were half board) we didn't return again for an evening meal. There is however some lovely restaurants which offer some lovely quality food balti balti, monkey, overseas were just a couple.

A few tips for the holiday despite the negative experience from the hotel which we tried not to let ruin our holiday. Loro Parque and Siam Park are a must if you have ever been to Florida they are on the same par as them. Siam park is amazing and both parks very busy but worth every single penny.

Playa las vistas beach is the best beach takes about 15 minutes at a steady rate to the first beach from the hotel but if you carry on along for another 10minutes it's def worth going playa las vistas.

Also another point the sir Anthony hotel and Mediterranean palace hotel (sister hotels) which are situated along from the playa las vistas beach looked amazing and having now depressed myself I just checked the price and the Mediterranean palace is coming up the same price we paid and its a 5 star definitely worth a look!

If you have already booked this hotel don't panic just try and ignore the some of the selfish people that this hotel attracts and make the most if the beach and parks :)

Room Tip: If you have a small child try and choose a ground floor pool room as its accessible when you have th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LandAMoore
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed two weeks at the end of July with my husband and 18 and 13 year old. Hotel and pool kept very clean. Receptionists very helpful. This hotel would benefit from air con as it is very stuffy and expensive to hire fans. The pool area is not big enough for this hotel at peak times and you have to get up very early to secure a sun bed, first week this was 8.45am for the unlocking of the sunbeds at 9am but the second week this became more like 8.15am, which is a joke when on your holidays. Would recommend the breakfast at The Windsor and evening meal at The Shires which are just around the corner at the Apollo Centre. Worth a visit to RnBs on the prom in front of the harbour, an English bar run by Rich and assisted by Ben who was such a good laugh and very entertaining. He even checked that we had arrived home safely which was a nice touch. Great places to eat around the harbour area and would also recommend Mamma Mia in Playa de las Americas for a great pizza. Will definitely return to this resort.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the ground floor. All rooms face the pool area
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed in this apartment for ten nights and I don't think I got one decent nights sleep. Firstly the "double" bed was too singles pushed together and one was higher up than the other if u went near the middle of the bed you'd make a massive gap. I was woken religiously every morning at 8.30 by running and screaming children which was awful and there was no air con which made the room very stuffy!. The staff were very nice and helpful though.
If you want a sun bed next to the pool , you have to be up at 8am or you have no chance it was ridiculous especially as there are signs everywhere saying do not reserve sun beds the staff will remove your towels - this was not followed by neither guests or staff. So we ended up at the beach everyday which was much more peaceful than the screaming children chaos of the pool.
It says your apartment is cleaned 5 days but she didn't really clean it. Just tided up changed your towels etc.

I wouldn't stay here again just rubbish

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Me, my partner & two children aged 12 & 9 stayed at the Agua mar 6th-13th Aug and was pleasantly surprised as this is a 3 star establishment, the rooms are nice and clean, the staff are very helpful, the cleaning staff are to be commended, i would just say that they should have a rota system, first come first serve for the sunbeds as there was a scramble for them every morning, and a little more entertainment for the kids, but overall it was a nice stay, and will be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Aguamar apartments for one week (self catering) and enjoyed the trip very much.

The apartments were well equipped for cooking, nice and clean (maid service everyday apart from Friday and Sunday) and it appears that all rooms have a balcony that overlook the pool. All staff were friendly, could understand English perfectly and happy to help.

Unfortunately our apartments were located near a metal staircase which is used by eager sun lounger hoggers at the crack of dawn, so unfortunately we were woken everyday around 8am by the running up and down of adults with their children. If you can, I suggest you ask to be located away from the staircase.

The sun loungers around the pool are usually reserved with towels by around 8.30am. if you are eager to get a spot near the pool then I suggest you join in the with 'sun lounger carnage' very early in the morning. Alternatively there is a more than adequate solarium roof top terrace where you can relax (minus young kids) and a shower to keep you cool. We found this to be the most relaxing place in the apartment block and has some nice views of the volcanoes, etc.

We were self-catering, so often took a trip to the supermarket which is a 3-4 minute walk from the apartments (take a right outside the main entrance) and head up some stairs. Also located near to the supermarket is a lovely Angus Steak House. We HIGHLY recommend you take a trip there. The steak and chicken dishes are amazing and extremely cheap! Sirloin steak, chips, jacket potato and veg for under 7 euro!! The owners are lovely and extremely accommodating.

If you are looking for clubbing and drinking then I suggest you had to Los Veronicas (7 euro taxi ride from the apartment). The best bar we went to was a beach club right at the end of the strip called Papagayo beach club. If you don't want to be hassled by 18yr old touts as soon as you get out of the taxi then I suggest you ask the taxi driver to drop you off right there. The cocktails are amazing! We also took a trip to Magic club/lounge in Playa De Las Americas (5 euro taxi ride). There is a great guy who sings and plays the piano from Derbyshire and two guys who sing RnB, etc. Worth a trip - it also has amazing shisha and cocktails are 7 euro before 10pm.

All in all a great trip, minus the sun lounger carnage and noisy awakening!!

Room Tip: If you want a good sleep then asked to be situated away from the metal fire escape stairs!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Checkin Bungalows Atlantida
Checkin Bungalows Atlantida
#11 of 13 in Los Cristianos
The Suites at Beverly Hills

Been to Apartamentos Aguamar? Share your experiences!