“Hotel needs to up it's game a little, adults only would be a start!”

Spring Arona Gran Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Reviewed December 24, 2010

I am writing this review having stayed at this hotel many times in the past few years. I have just returned from a 1 week stay at the Arona Gran and although I did enjoy my holiday here, there are a few things I feel should be pointed out. Overall the hotel has not changed much since I started holidaying there over 10 years ago - some may say this is not a bad thing, but with all the new hotels springing up in Tenerife, and the high prices the Arona Gran charges, I think it is only fair to expect some improvements for this hotel to be in keeping with it's 4 star label. The hotel itself was very tastefully decorated for Christmas, and staff made the hotel have a very pleasant ambience, always very helpful and cheery. Rooms are standard with lovely sea views which are definitely worth paying the extra for. However, there are 2 things that really did annoy me on my stay this time. Firstly, the quality of the food in the dining room. Breakfast was excellent, but evening meals were a big let down. Cheap cuts of meat, weird and wonderful concoctions, and cold/bland overcooked dishes were served up. Secondly, I found the number of poorly behaved children staying in the hotel very irritating. There were several famillies staying, and I do appreciate that in the run up to Christmas, it is a time for children, but this hotel simply does not cater for them, with no facilities, therefore they run around bored as the parents don't care what they get up to. This was very noticeable in the dining room. Most people staying at thie hotel are mature couples, and I am sure they don't want to be annnoyed with kids, doing laps of the dining room, shouting and screaming, and putting their hands into the food. In my opinion, this hotel should be made adults only throughout. Having said all that, I did enjoy my stay there, there is something nice about returning to a hotel that never changes, although next time I think bed and breakfast would be a better option, as there are so many nice restaurants to try in Los Cristianos.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank xlynnbx

Reviewed December 22, 2010

I have just returned from Arona Gran having had a nice stay and enjoyed lovely winter sunshine.
The hotel caters for disabled people really well but the number of mobility scooters around meant that traffic lights were needed in the resteraunt. What it will be like when an invasion of children as well as scooters arrive i dread to think.
The food was ok but improvements could be made. I have had much better and was bored with the frequency of pork after a week. The hotel is well run and resteraunt staff polite and helpful I am unable to say the same about the bar staff one particular individual being rude and ignorant. When challenged about his manner he gathered other bar staff to him and pointed me out, after which servile and patronising are my words to describe their conduct. Therefore i did not use the facility again. Worth a visit but i will not return. There are friendlier places to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Having been to the Arona Gran a few times before, we knew what to expect. The hotel is nice and clean, quiet but well located for a stroll either into Los Cristianos, or a more extended walk along the much improved promenade to Playa la Vista, or further if you so wished. The grounds are well kept, and the pools kept in good condition. The rooms are typical of southern European tourist hotels, although this one has decent sized wardrobes. The beds are 'firm', with a slatted base and a mattress that feels as if it has seen many a long year, and over the week, my body became well acquainted with each of the springs and knobbles that distorted the once-smooth surface. The room boasts a personal safe, but for some odd reason, you are expected to pay extra for the privilege of using it. Also, they don't tell you that if you are staying for a week or more, they will provide tea and coffee making facilities in your room [as I was checking out, a gent was asking where his was, as he asked for it the day before and it still hadn't arrived - I'll try and be him next time!]. Some of the furnishings are really showing their age now, with a lot of the woodwork chipped, scratched and dented, the upholstery faded and in a few places threadbare, but all more in the style of a slightly whiffy favourite aunt who really should know better, but you forgive her her sins because of all her other attributes.
The food is on a buffet basis, and is generally quite good, with a lot of choice for both breakfast and evening meal. This visit noted that the cooked breakfasts offered very British tasting bacon and sausages. The waiters could be slow in taking your drinks orders, but generally it wasn't too bad - queues formed when 'good' dishes were on, or in line with eating patterns [queuing for soup at the start, then mains, then pudding] but if you came in out of 'sequence', it was fine.
The friendliness of the staff seems to be in inverse proportion to their levels, with the chambermaids and porters being cheerful and smiling, the restaurant waiters smiling when they remembered, the reception staff smiling when you walked away from the desk, and the management not smiling at all. Service was haphazard: a lunch in the outside restaurant started off with a 15-minute wait for a menu, although the grub was fine.
The pools could have been warmer - the hotter one regularly showed up as 24C but didn't feel anything like it, and the sunbeds were generally squeezed into any space available on the sundeck – it was all a bit claustrophobic if you are that way inclined. Age profile was generally just north of retirement, although there were some bodies there that had yet to succumb to the more desperate ravages of gravity.
All in all a decent [and very popular] hotel, but the owners should take the opportunity to give it a bit more of a makeover than just the odd coat of paint.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I wasn,t quite sure how to review the arona gran so take from it what you will
Hotel spotless ,rooms decent quality with flat screen tvs and plenty of uk channels if thats what you want
Although I tend to stay away from hotels with loads of noise and children I found myself thinking maybe thats not such bad thing as the average age of the clientele must be about 70!!
The pool area didn,t seem to get any sun due to the trees surrounding them and are actually quite shallow. I felt I had to whisper around the pool area as it was deatlhy quiet with no atmosphere
I was impressed with the qualtiy of the food but thought the standard of service in the restaurant was as poor as i have experienced and it would have been nice to see a bit of lightness and smilng from the staff as it was all very serious and brusque
The fruit juices were out of a machine and were awful-not what you would expect for a four star hotel
The resort is good in parts but it did feel like we were in the uk with the amount of british people and bars around the place-if you like that sort of thing thats fine but i like to feel i am in a different country and not be bothered by blokes from essex trying to persuade me to go into british pubs for drag acts and roast dinners!!!It didnt, bother me too much as i guess wherever you go people tout for business but normally natives of the country
We had a nightmare getting back as there was a strike but thomson who we went with were excellent in my opinion and we spent a day at playa arena in los gigantes due to this
The entertainment was truly awful-the resident band looked bored and were quite depressing but then maybe too much noise might have given the clientele seizures!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2010

We travel extensively in Europe and further afield and this hotel is as good as it gets within the rating and price scale. We stayed on a half board basis and the food was excellent, both at breakfast and dinner. There was always a wide choice of good quality, well cooked, food. The hotel is immaculately presented and the service throughout was excellent. Bar prices compared favourably with local establishments. The area is the only thing that is not 100%. This part of Los Christianos is a little run down but this is not a reason to avoid this hotel. We will revisit!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank RollestonNottingham
Reviewed December 2, 2010

A very good hotel which has is nice & clean, large bedrooms, good food and heated swimming pools.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We like Spring Hotels very much. We have stayed at Playa la Arena several times but as that hotel has changed hands we tried the Arona Gran. The hotel was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful except when we arrived later than planned because our flight was delayed and found that the snack bar couldn't serve us any hot food as it was just after 15.30 and only cold sandwiches were available. We were disappointed also with breakfast; the cereal selection was very poor and often soggy. Playa la Arena had for example, flaked oats and seeds plus nuts etc to make one's own muesli, on the other hand we were offered Buck's fizz on two occasions. Dinner was good, steak and smoked salmon were frequently on the menu, but we always appreciated the 'themed' evenings at la Arena. However these are fairly minor points, our overall experience was excellent and we will be back. If you pay attention to these points then you will be upgraded from a 4* to a 5* in our estimation.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Labranda Reveron Plaza
#2 of 13 in Los Cristianos
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Colon Guanahani - Adrian Hoteles

Been to Spring Arona Gran Hotel? Share your experiences!