Just returned from 10 days at Arona Gran. We booked with Thomson on a late flight which got us into the hotel at just after midnight. Initial impressions are good, as the hotel has a very impressive foyer and it looks like the pictures on the website. We were offered Cava on arrival (food would have been better though!), although the staff told us that as we missed dinner, we would get a free lunch on our final day - which was actually very helpful.
The welcome meeting was supposed to be 15 minutes, but the rep still managed to drag it out to half an hour, basically trying to sell you their excursions. Most people would prefer more useful local information.
We did 2 excursions, but didn't book through Thomson. We got a slightly better deal. Siam Park is great fun and we did a yacht trip and saw dolphins and red turtles which was great.
Our room was a partial sea view, which was fine. The room itself was clean and spacious enough. It was occasionally a bit noisy with the karaoke bar over the road (music done by 11:30pm) and delivery truck on the service road in the morning. But these things didn't really affect us (I always sleep with ear plugs anyway!)
The food was good overall. They try to vary the dishes and generally do quite well. I wouldn't want to be full board though, because the one lunch we did have was very disappointing and to be honest, you'd just get bored of the same food.
The pool area is just like the pictures on the Thomson website. We always got a sunbed and there were plenty available, in spite of those who are intent on reserving their space as early as possible (who ARE these irritating people?!). Mercifully, there's no music by the pool except for the half hour pool aerobic session which is on late morning.
What lets this hotel down is the location. The "beach" behind the hotel is just rocky and unsuitable for bathing. The hotel looks onto a port, so you wouldn't want to swim there anyway.
A bit annoying that they won't accept cash - everything is charged to your room, so keep an eye on that.
On our last day, we had to be out of our room by 12 noon, but they let us use a room later in the afternoon to change and shower in before our coach pick up, which we appreciated.
Overall, we enjoyed the holiday, but wouldn't return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Spring Arona Gran Hotel, it's located in a privileged position on the seaside promenade, facing the island of La Gomera, offers spectaculars views of the bay and the old fishing port of Los Cristianos and is only 3 km from the golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Spring Arona Gran Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Arona Gran
- Arona Gran Los Cristianos
- Arona Gran Hotel Tenerife
- Arona Gran Tenerife
- Spring Arona Gran Hotel Tenerife/Los Cristianos