“Perfect holiday”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Perfect holiday”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My partner and I spent our first holiday here together in June this year (apologies for late review) .. We are in our early 40's and must admit majority of other holiday makers here are retirement age ...But ... we met some lovely people here and could tell that lots were regulars ...
The staff were friendly , attentive , and worked extremely hard ...
Our room was spotless
The food was fantastic
Now i'm one to plough through trip adviser before I book , because I don't want to be surrounded by drunk idiots ! I love to walk , and visit surrounding bars and restaurants , and this was ideal ..
Was the best holiday i've ever had , and definitely the best hotel i've ever stayed in ....
The entertainment wasn't our cup of tea , but we had a few good nights at a karaoke bar across the road where we met lovely people .
We went on two trips which we booked along the seafront ....One was a 2hr boat trip to see whales and dolphins , this was fantastic thoroughly enjoyed and took some great pics ...
The other was a coach trip to the North of the island and rainforest .. The coach journey itself was very scenic all along the coast , but the trip as far as I was concerned was dangerous , up a very steep mountain , tight bend after tight bend , surrounded by sheer drops , no one seemed to dare look out the window at the scenery ...!! but hey wanted to hi five the driver for getting us there and back in one piece ....
Walking to Playa Vista for a couple of the evenings was a hi light , what an amazing place, great for people watching and spoilt for choice with restaurants ...
Sorry , back the hotel .....ooops .... The pools were spotlessly clean and perfect temperature ... We saw some great sunsets too ...
Overall a fantastic hotel ....Will definately return .... !!!

Room Tip: We had part sea view room which was fine
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jules19702013
springhoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Spring Arona Gran Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again and thank you very much for your nice comments. Regards, Stefanie Dechert, PR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,322)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have visited this hotel many times since it opened over twenty years ago. In 2005 it became part of the Spring Group of hotels and their policy has been one of continuous ongoing improvement.

Hotel: Quiet and relaxed. Excellent, helpful reception staff. Wheelchair friendly. Electric wheelchairs can be hired from a concessionaire on the premises (180 euro per fortnight?). No problem with chair use into Cristianos and beyond. Free WiFi is available in the reception area and is obtainable for a supplement elsewhere in the hotel. There is a small arcade with good quality shops and a pharmacy and medical center share the hotel premises. There is a Sunday morning market adjacent to the sun bathing area of the hotel but the noise is not obtrusive.

Rooms: The hotel is "room critical" and you basically get what you pay for. Rooms with a sea and pool view carry a 9 euro supplement and receive afternoon sun. There are also 6 suites available at an extra 43 euro prpd. Avoid rooms on the side of the hotel which are overlooked by a skyscraper apartment block and a supermarket., and are also adjacent to the hotel kitchens/delivery areas. Rooms are well maintained although the dark wood furniture is looking a little dated. Balcony chairsand footstools are provided and there is an adjustable sun blind. Room safes are available at 30 euro per fortnight. Bed sheets and towels are changed daily.

Pool area: Clean and well maintained. Two large heated pools and a small children's splash pool. Lifeguard on duty up to 5pm. Snack bar, and also a la carte or ta-ble d'hote restaurant mainly for lunchtime use with excellent food. Daily activity program. Free pool towels provided which can be changed on a daily basis. Adequate sun beds and brolleys although the latter are of varying quality. From May the hotel has operated a "warn and remove possesssions" system to discourage early morning "sunbed bookers" which has always been a problem at this hotel. Gymnasium, indoor golf and squash is also available which I did not use during my visit. There is direct access from the pool area to the promenade using the room key card.

Entertainment: Resident group and live shows every night. Apart from the bar areas there is an outside terrace which I found to be very smoky and therefore unusable for me. Elsewhere, the hotel is a non smoking establishment. Pool tables are available at a cost. Bridge players are catered for in quiet side rooms.

Food: A wide range of hot and cold dishes are available for both beakfast and dinner. Freshly cooked eggs, bacon, omlettes and flapjacks at breakfast, pasta, fish and meat at dinner. Plate clearance can be "patchy" but is usually good. The food quality is very good to excellent for the star rating of the hotel.

Service: Generally good although the pool snack bar can be slow at times, and the drinks ordering system for the bar can be frustrating. The staff are helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Looking at the hotel from the promenade the front of the building is an extended "C" shap...
1 Thank Richard B
springhoteles, Community Manager at Spring Arona Gran Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review on your thorough review on your last holiday at Spring Arona Gran Hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you appreciate the continuous improvement or our chain and look forward to seeing you soon!!

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Having visited Tenerife before and staying in one of the top hotels in Playa Las Americas I was very interested to see how the Arona Gran (I am led to believe the first large hotel to be built in Los Christianos) compared. I was pleasantly surprised. There is of course the usual OTT splendid entrance, foyer and reception area that one expects in Spain and North Africa, but here we had the extra bonus of staff who really wanted you to enjoy your stay.

I was on the top floor which meant that I had good views - half sea, half pool area. The balcony was relatively private with relaxor chairs, table and foot stools, and drying rack provided. The beds with top sheet, thin cotton blanket and bedspread were very comfortable with a selection of a long harder bolster pillow or a softer fibre filled small continental pillow. There was also a "pillow menu" provided. If you didn't find the supplied head rests to your satisfaction you could "order up" something fresh!.. Blankets were also provided should you find it a little chilly. A very nice touch was the slippers and robe - very handy for covering the balcony chairs (the robes that is - not the slippers!)

I took a travel kettle and plastic mugs and bought coffee, creamer etc after arriving as I've found in the past that this is by far the easiest thing to do. I also take along a travel iron - old habits die hard!!

The food at the Arona is so varied that even after 14 days of half board I still hadn't tried everything. The quality of the food is excellent, although personally I would have preferred something with a little "pep", but do understand that hotels have to cater for the least adventurous guests and that seasoning can be added but not taken out. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful without being over friendly. Another great idea is the wine storage in the dining room. Should you want a glass of wine with your dinner, but not a full bottle you can recork the bottle and ask for it tot be kept until the following day. It is then labelled with your room number, logged and stored in the chiller until you request it.

The housekeeping staff are polite and friendly and cannt be faulted. If they run out of something, be it towel, shampoo or shower gel, or even tissues etc.

The

The electronic system used throughout the hotel for all transactions is brilliant as it means that you don't need to carry any money on you as your room keycard is equivalent to a credit card from the Bank of Arona Gran. Wonderful idea.

The animation team do a good job of getting the "bodies" moving throughout the day, although I have to admit to being one of the "unmovable"!!

The evening entertainment did leave a lot to be desired, but when one considers that it's free and not costing anything then it's up to the individual to decide whether to take part or not, and the WiFi is limited - bt if it's a matter of life and death to have WiFi there are a couple of local restaurants with free service.

I would highly recomment this hotel for a relaxing holiday/getaway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Carri W
Dear Carri,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your kind review.

I am so pleased to hear that you had a relaxing holiday with us and hope you to see you in the very near future.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed at Arona Gran in september (room 342). Lovely room with superb views from balcony of pools and sea.Went half board and found the buffet style breakfast and evening meals excellent with option of fish, steaks and your breakfast egg being cooked fresh in front of you.
We found all the staff friendly and helpfull and they seemed to enjoy our attempts at speaking spanish.
It was lovely to be welcomed by smiling staff with a glass of cava at check in (which took about 5 minutes) and our luggage was brought straight up
to our room.
The pools were spotless,no problem getting sun loungers and pool area tidied nightly and early morning.
Enjoyed evening drinks by the pool listening to the live pianist.
The reception area sofas were very comfotable to relax on while using the hotels free wi fi or just chilling out.
There is direct access to the promenade from the hotel via steps or lift and about a 10 minute stroll to the first sandy beach, passing various bars/restaurants.
The Thomson reps Michael and David were very helpful and informative - enjoyed our half day trip to Mount Teide.
A big thankyou to all the staff for making our week so enjoyable.
We hope to return in February.

Room Tip: ask for sea view.
1 Thank john h
Dear John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review on your last holiday at Spring Arona Gran Hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday with us and thank you for your words on our staff.

Looking forward to seeing you in February.

Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We made the choice to return to Arona Gran after twenty two years and was not disappointed.

As we booked direct with hotel online we got 10% discount had free taxi transfer, free tea and coffee facilities in room, also registering for a Spring card gave us 15% discount on all food and drink purchased in hotel.

From the moment we arrived we were very pleased, our check staff made us feel very welcome with a glass of cava, we had a beautiful room on top floor as requested.

All the staff in the restaurant and bars were very friendly and attentive, the food was excellent with such a good choice, we never found it a problem getting a table as we ate later in the evening the restaurant wasn't packed.

We never had a problem getting a sunbed, but did laugh at the antics of the people that are putting their towels on a bed at 8am in the morning, so was highly delighted if we saw the lifeguard remove their stuff if the bed was unoccupied for more than 45mins. The call service round the pool was excellent likewise the speedy service in the lunchtime snack bar.

We wanted a week to relax and chill out and that is exactly what we did.

We would most definitely return again and will certainly not leave it so long.

John & Sheena

Room Tip: Request a high floor and maybe not too far from lift.
1 Thank Rookie50
springhoteles, Community Manager at Spring Arona Gran Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear John & Sheena,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your kind review.

I hope you to see you in the very near future.

Newton Abbot
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have just returned from my 5th visit to the Arona and feel it is in decline. The bedroom furniture is worn and old fashioned (tiny ants in wardrobe!) the advertised WiFi is only available in reception. You can pay to access it in your room but still not available by the pool. New call service around pool does not work as there aren't enough staff, we never got an answer tho the staff were working hard. The Gym: went in 1st day, no staff, no air con, 1treadmill broken, 2 rowing machines, neither switched on, 1 half cross trainer, couldn't get it to move, 2 bikes, 1 broken. All equipment old and badly maintained.
I read a previous review about dining room staff taking your plate too quickly and agree. The entertainment was a bit dreary, 4 piece band playing very ancient 70's stuff, acrobats, hypnotist, end of pier stuff. Michael Jackson tribute excellent. Audience looked as dead as MJ at times. My sister and I are in our 60's and prefer something a little more lively. The cleaner of our room was 1st class, nice touches. Come on Arona move into the 21st century. My sister has been going since 1980 and I've never heard her complain but she did this time.

• Stayed September 2013
8 Thank Susie p
Dear Susie,

I answer to your queries, the Free Wifi is in fact only available at the Reception are. There is also free Wifi at the rooms and round the pool for all the rooms that book directly through our web site.
Addressing the issue with the Gym, I have to agree with you that the equipment is old, but there are plans to totally renovate it shortly.

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment, and hope that you decide to visit us again sometime in the future.

Yours sincerely

Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed at Arona Gran five times but have not visited for a few years. My rating is, therefore, related to past holidays. However, we are due to stay for 10 nights in October and hope that the negative reviews are more to do with the reviewer's expectations and perceptions rather than reality. We will see and I will review on return.
I am particularly surprised by the criticism of staff as I have always found them charming, polite and professional.

Room Tip: Sea view essential.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
springhoteles, Community Manager at Spring Arona Gran Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Susan,

We look forward to your stay in October,

Best regards

#12 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
GF Gran Costa Adeje
GF Gran Costa Adeje
#16 of 58 in Costa Adeje

Been to Spring Arona Gran Hotel? Share your experiences!