“Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Los Cristianos
newcastle
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

My friend and I have recently returned from a week at Sol Princesa Dacil on an all inclusive package. The hotel although needing a little updated was very enjoyable.
The food was average with the same meals daily with chicken, pork and fish
being the main dishes but you would not go hungry. My main problem was that on
the last day of my holiday my friend and I were relaxing in the garden area when
someone managed to get into the garden through the mesh perimeter fencing and
once into the garden managed to steal my bag. On inspection the fence and wall
are badly in need of replacing. I immediately contacted the staff, who although
rang the police for me to speak to them, were not in the least bit helpful.
I informed them that within the bag was the key to our room and also the
safe key. They agreed to replacing the door key but would not change the
safe key until my friend and I had walked the perimeter of the hotel to see if
the bag had been dumped. I am 63yr old and my friend 69yr old. However, we did
as we were told and walked for the perimeter and looked in every bin but
unfortunately the bag was not to be seen. I reported back to the hotel staff
who then agreed to change the safe door. When this work was completed
I was then informed that I could not have my deposit returned as they charge
when you loose your safe key. I tried to explain that I did not loose it but it had
been stolen from their secure garden. No notice was taken by the staff which
then left my very angry. I will not be returning to this hotel again. What
I will say is that they need to completely renew the fencing and make their
property secure, next time it may not be a bag stolen but may be a child as the
play area for the children is also accessed from the garden.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank bernadette069

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
GLASGOW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

Just arrived back from this hotel this morning should have been last night but thats another story flights cancelled, anyway stayed half board for a week. Agree with janeli37 but we were on the front of the building and the noise was terrible the men came to empty the bins saturday morning at 3.42am other mornings there were vans delivering things very noisy we were wishing we were on the pool side. the restaurant was ok at the begining of the week but by friday and saturday it was too busy. Friday night my husband went in to the queue to get two cokes and by the time he got back I had eat my dinner why dont the have two queues one for half board to pay and the other one for AI to sign. the ladies who came to clean the rooms very nice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrissie018
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed in this hotel half board for a week. Great location, five minutes walk to lovely clean beach, plenty of sunbeds and not too busy. Not a bad selection for Breakfast, however, evening meal was mostly a choice of cold or lukewarm plus no free drinks available at evening meal time, had to pay 7 euro's for a bottle of wine. Went away feeling hungry.

Rooms were very clean and towels were changed daily. Bit noisy if you are facing the pool area and want an early night as entertainment goes on until around midnight. Prices for drinks around the pool seemed to be quite expensive and served in plastic cups, not sure if this is the same at all Hotels now.

No air conditioning but you could hire a fan if needed although found that in the evenings it wasn't particularly warm so fan not needed. Did pay for a fridge though which cost 39 euros for the week plus a 20 euro deposit.

During the day we found that best to buy a large bottle of water from one of the back street supermarkets.... 50 cents for one litre whereas along the beach front it was 1 euro just for a small bottle.

Apart from all the extras you have to pay for I would recommend this Hotel because of location and cleanliness, even if a little dated.

Room Tip: If you prefer an early night then best to ask for a room facing the front of the Hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank janeli37
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

We arrived at sol princesa hotel on the 28th june. The receptionists were very polite and helpful and spoke a bit of english. The room was nice only bad thing was the tv was in spanish and the beds were hard. But each morning we had clean bedding and fresh towels. We stayed bed and breakfast but wasnt much for the breakfast so ate out. The hotels pool is nice but 5 mins away from las vista and the beach was amazing :) overall very happy with the hotel and where it is situated. Only thing that we didnt like is the men trying to sell you things on the beach front and each pub/bar asking you to come in-very annoying.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank hay1ey89
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Spent a week here all inclusive in a superior room which was well worth the extra for the air conditioning and extra space although the balcony was very small. The food was OK it often didn't look very appertising but it tasted all right.

The main problem was the service in the bar in the evening. There was a seperate area for AI and if someone wanted to pay for their drinks then the staff would serve them straight away simply leaving the AI people to wait. There were never more than 2 staff on and often one of them would go missing. On the Friday night there was a mass influx of guests and the queue for AI was often around 20 people it took over 30 minutes to get drinks!! There was lots of complaining going on but the service never improved. Service was slowed down by the staff having to enter the drinks on the till, print out a receipt and then waiting for you to sign it !! Never come across that before!!

On our final night the management had obviously come up with a battle plan and actually put a line of chairs at the end of the queue and assigned a young trainee to move them along and prevent other people joing the queue. This was done at 22:55 when AI is supposed to be available until 23:00. Some quests who had only just arrived were told by Reception they could get a drink at the bar and the trainee allowed them to join the queue. There was only one bar man (dead slow and stop) and he refused to serve them. In the end they had to pay for drinks which he was more than happy to sell them. Don't know if they got a refund the next day when they complained.

If you want to be treated as a second class citizen then go AI to this hotel. There should be one common queue at the bar and people should be served in order.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a superior room.
1 Thank daveblu
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

We had see this hotel many times on our visits to Tenerife and though we would treat ourselves to half board instead of self catering as we always do. What a mistake. The hotel itself is fine, staff friendly, rooms clean although in need of updating, pool and bar area good. The food on the other hand was awful. If you are a vegetarian all you will get is either salad, potatoes, peas or carrots and plain pasta. The restaurant opened at 18.30 pm and we dont like to eat late so were there no later than 19.00 pm and the food was just about luke warm if you were lucky. The choices were uninspiring, boring and pretty tasteless. We will certain go back to Tenerife but not to this hotel and we will definitely be going self catering again.

3 Thank STANNI60
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Just back from one week's stay at Princesa. The hotel was very clean and the staff were helpful. Pool was nice & quiet during the day, didn't need to rush down early for a sunbed. I had emailed the hotel to say it was our anniversary and they put champagne & fruit in our room, lovely surprise for my husband. The room was very hot so had to hire a fan €25.The food was varied and found that there was always something to eat. The wine was superb, always helps! Didn't stay in hotel for evening entertainment so cannot comment on this. We went out to a few local bars, the Red Lion was a favourite of ours, brand new, had acts on every night. We got a taxi to the Corner Bar to see Scottish Comedian, hilarious! There is a restaurant called Rodo, it has a huge salad bar and then the waiters come round with EVERY type of meat until you are fit to burst....excellent. Little Italy is a brilliant place to eat too. Prices are not as expensive as we thought for Tenerife.I would recommend this hotel and Tenerife and will definately return.

1 Thank JanineManderson
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#23 of 57 in Costa Adeje
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,550 reviews

Been to TRYP Tenerife? Share your experiences!