“Christmas week break”

H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Reviewed December 31, 2012

smart, fresh and clean hotel .
Mainly over 50's customers .
Helpful friendly staff .
situated in a relatively quiet area .
Good food, always plenty available .
Nice pool , great rooftop chill-out area .

Room Tip: high floor , sea view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Liam K

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel may suit many, but it's not my favourite. As the dining room can seat 260 guests, that doesn't qualify for boutique status for me. Yes, it's very smart, with an impressive reception area, but it could be anywhere in the world. My room (overlooking the arrival area in front of the hotel) was fine, but the bed was too firm, and the toilet seat was broken - that is irritating. Why are these things not inspected and rectified? Registration, I felt, was unnecessarily clunky, with a credit card being demanded as a guarantee of not leaving without paying the bill, and with a group took far too long.. Similarly, a card had to be shown on entry to the dining room, and a blank bill is provided to be completed by the waiter. This results in queues. In most hotels the cost is merely charged to one's room, and possibly signed for. The fact that it is child free is good, but expect a fairly senior clientele, who will mainly stay on or near the premises all day, with entertainment to match. If that's what you want, you may find it ideal, but I prefer somewhere with a little character (even if the buffet meals are really good!).

Room Tip: Noisy over the bar - the front is quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank flugelist
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The name was slightly off putting but after reading reviews on Tripadvisor went ahead. we were not disappointed everything was wonderful. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food was wonderful and Xmas meal was superb. Plenty of choice and the freshly baked bread in morning was great. Nice on a Sunday to get fresh bread not something left over from day before. Now all I need is a good diet to help get rid of pounds in weight I put on. Prices for snacks and drinks were comparable with outside, and you knew hygiene was being taken very seriously. Will definitely be back. Excellent location

Room Tip: get a room with a sea view worth the extra rooms on 2nd floor have large balconies with sun loungers...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank warnerayr1
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at Big Sur in November and chose the hotel as it is small, I don't want to be surrounded by hundreds of people on holiday, plus it being an adults only hotel - much as I like children I can do without them on holiday! The reception area is very smart as others say and the staff all very helpful. We paid considerably more to have a sea view room but the balcony being solid with a rail at the top meant that you don't get a sea view if you are sitting down! The balconies need to be refurbished as well, with a glass wall as on the roof-top chill out zone which is a lovely area for relaxing.

The position of the hotel is great as the door on the perimeter garden wall opens out onto the pedestrianised walkway which follows the coast line along to the nearby beach and to further resorts. It was much quieter than I dared to hope for as we had not visited Tenerife before and I was concerned it would be busy & loud, perhaps we were there at a good time of year.

Housekeeping was brilliant, everywhere very clean. Our refurbished room was good, very comfortable bed and the A/C was lovely & quiet but a shame there was only Sky News, CNN or BBC World channels on the TV. They need to upgrade this if they want the 4 star rating we understand the management are aiming for. Also the locked fridge, you had to pay to use this, plus a high charge to use the safe was not a 4 star feature - in fact it made you feel cheated/unwelcome. For 4 star we would expect these to be included.

Food was good with a fair selection, you do get a better selection at a bigger hotel, we have found,so you have to take your choice! The stir fry cooked for you is very tasty. We did feel sorry for the one chef on duty at breakfast. He/she had to toast croissants, make omelettes and cook eggs and bacon all at the same time!
The tea/coffee machine at breakfast is a no-no - too much like a holiday camp! Having to queue up for ages to press a button for hot water 3 times before it filled a cup is not on. I would expect a waiter to bring tea or coffee to the table as we had at a large 3star hotel in Lanzarote. Also the waiters were so keen to clear away the breakfast things as people left the dining room in order to lay up for the next meal, that they didn't clear away used plates etc from people still using the tables. We often had to move used crockery to an empty table. Minor stuff I know but it all adds up to the overall feeling that things could be done that little bit better. The desserts at dinner were disappointing, those rows of little cakes looked lovely but mostly tasted of nothing. More variety here would be good.

The chairs in the restaurant need changing, small wooden and very uncomfortable, they are not 4 star. Maybe they are to make you leave quickly?

We didn't watch the evening entertainment as we preferred to stroll to the nearby bars for an after-dinner drink.

We did use the small gym which is attached to the hotel but I am not sure who - if anyone - runs it. We were lucky that when we first called in there was a member of the hotel staff who showed us what we could use, all free of charge which was very good. After that there was no-one there and whilst we were using the machines on several occasions people walked in but left as there was no-one there to help them. They were certainly losing business with this casual approach. I booked a reflexology session and was not impressed that the girl left me on three occasions to answer her mobile phone! This could be a really useful adjunct to the hotel but it is not managed at all.

So I have tried to give the good and not so good points about this hotel which is what I look for when reading reviews from others. I would certainly return to H10 Big Sur but hope they pick up on some of the improvments which would make a big difference to the overall experience of staying there.

Room Tip: Floor 4 or above with the sea view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank VivBromley
Reviewed December 23, 2012

we arrived and went to reception only to find we had room 123 which was over looking a roof so we asked to be moved they couldnt be more helpful next day we went to room 610 which was lovely and refurbished and over looking the mountains . hotel was lovely friendly clean and close to the beach and shops, lovely food ,we will be going back 7 days to short ... just remember to try get a room above 200 they are refurbished .. have a lovely hoilday

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tony J
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Lovely adults only hotel. Fab entrance, lovely furnishings. Staff friendly and very helpful. Gate straight onto beach. Nice fitness room, spa, hairdressers, massage. Lovely chill,out zone on 8th floor. We are coming back for a break here next winter. Week has gone far too quick.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dawntcbn
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have just returned from a week at the Big Sur and have nothing but praise for.

I first arrived by taxi and one of the staff appeared and took my bag in for me and the first of a nice touch,
The hotel has a big wow factor when you first go in. Its immaculate, modern and a nice cinnimon smell around the place.
Reception told me I had been upgraded to a sea view room but was not one of the refurbished. I actually wanted a new room and was told no problem and could change the next day.
The room i was given was large,clean and had no complaints with. However I would recommened the refurbished rooms as modern, spacious and lots white crisp linens and white leather chair and wall panelling. Very relaxing. Nice touch with plasma TV on wall with Sky news.
Another big bonus was free WIFI in the room

The staff were so friendly and accomodating and a credit to the hotel. All were so helpful and friendly.
The food was good and plenty of choice both at breakfast and at dinner and no complaints here.
I cant comment on the entertainment but there was no loud music and stopped early evening.

Chill out lounge is cool on the 8th floor and very peacefull. In fact, the whole no kids rule was a bonus as very quiet and relaxing.
Few nice touches around the pool area during the day - staff bringing fresh melon and sandwiches for example

This is a diamond of a hotel and definately deserves 4 stars and I can honestly say I could not find one fault in any aspect of the hotel.
I had the most relaxing week in luxury suroundings and was well looked after by all at the hotel.
Would recommend to all.
Older crowd but suited me and was there to chill. I had that and more and intend to go back.

Big thanks to all at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
#12 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
Labranda Reveron Plaza
Labranda Reveron Plaza
#2 of 13 in Los Cristianos

Been to H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!