“Not 4star yet!”

H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at Big Sur in November and chose the hotel as it is small, I don't want to be surrounded by hundreds of people on holiday, plus it being an adults only hotel - much as I like children I can do without them on holiday! The reception area is very smart as others say and the staff all very helpful. We paid considerably more to have a sea view room but the balcony being solid with a rail at the top meant that you don't get a sea view if you are sitting down! The balconies need to be refurbished as well, with a glass wall as on the roof-top chill out zone which is a lovely area for relaxing.

The position of the hotel is great as the door on the perimeter garden wall opens out onto the pedestrianised walkway which follows the coast line along to the nearby beach and to further resorts. It was much quieter than I dared to hope for as we had not visited Tenerife before and I was concerned it would be busy & loud, perhaps we were there at a good time of year.

Housekeeping was brilliant, everywhere very clean. Our refurbished room was good, very comfortable bed and the A/C was lovely & quiet but a shame there was only Sky News, CNN or BBC World channels on the TV. They need to upgrade this if they want the 4 star rating we understand the management are aiming for. Also the locked fridge, you had to pay to use this, plus a high charge to use the safe was not a 4 star feature - in fact it made you feel cheated/unwelcome. For 4 star we would expect these to be included.

Food was good with a fair selection, you do get a better selection at a bigger hotel, we have found,so you have to take your choice! The stir fry cooked for you is very tasty. We did feel sorry for the one chef on duty at breakfast. He/she had to toast croissants, make omelettes and cook eggs and bacon all at the same time!
The tea/coffee machine at breakfast is a no-no - too much like a holiday camp! Having to queue up for ages to press a button for hot water 3 times before it filled a cup is not on. I would expect a waiter to bring tea or coffee to the table as we had at a large 3star hotel in Lanzarote. Also the waiters were so keen to clear away the breakfast things as people left the dining room in order to lay up for the next meal, that they didn't clear away used plates etc from people still using the tables. We often had to move used crockery to an empty table. Minor stuff I know but it all adds up to the overall feeling that things could be done that little bit better. The desserts at dinner were disappointing, those rows of little cakes looked lovely but mostly tasted of nothing. More variety here would be good.

The chairs in the restaurant need changing, small wooden and very uncomfortable, they are not 4 star. Maybe they are to make you leave quickly?

We didn't watch the evening entertainment as we preferred to stroll to the nearby bars for an after-dinner drink.

We did use the small gym which is attached to the hotel but I am not sure who - if anyone - runs it. We were lucky that when we first called in there was a member of the hotel staff who showed us what we could use, all free of charge which was very good. After that there was no-one there and whilst we were using the machines on several occasions people walked in but left as there was no-one there to help them. They were certainly losing business with this casual approach. I booked a reflexology session and was not impressed that the girl left me on three occasions to answer her mobile phone! This could be a really useful adjunct to the hotel but it is not managed at all.

So I have tried to give the good and not so good points about this hotel which is what I look for when reading reviews from others. I would certainly return to H10 Big Sur but hope they pick up on some of the improvments which would make a big difference to the overall experience of staying there.

Room Tip: Floor 4 or above with the sea view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank VivBromley

Reviewed December 23, 2012

we arrived and went to reception only to find we had room 123 which was over looking a roof so we asked to be moved they couldnt be more helpful next day we went to room 610 which was lovely and refurbished and over looking the mountains . hotel was lovely friendly clean and close to the beach and shops, lovely food ,we will be going back 7 days to short ... just remember to try get a room above 200 they are refurbished .. have a lovely hoilday

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tony J
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Lovely adults only hotel. Fab entrance, lovely furnishings. Staff friendly and very helpful. Gate straight onto beach. Nice fitness room, spa, hairdressers, massage. Lovely chill,out zone on 8th floor. We are coming back for a break here next winter. Week has gone far too quick.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dawntcbn
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have just returned from a week at the Big Sur and have nothing but praise for.

I first arrived by taxi and one of the staff appeared and took my bag in for me and the first of a nice touch,
The hotel has a big wow factor when you first go in. Its immaculate, modern and a nice cinnimon smell around the place.
Reception told me I had been upgraded to a sea view room but was not one of the refurbished. I actually wanted a new room and was told no problem and could change the next day.
The room i was given was large,clean and had no complaints with. However I would recommened the refurbished rooms as modern, spacious and lots white crisp linens and white leather chair and wall panelling. Very relaxing. Nice touch with plasma TV on wall with Sky news.
Another big bonus was free WIFI in the room

The staff were so friendly and accomodating and a credit to the hotel. All were so helpful and friendly.
The food was good and plenty of choice both at breakfast and at dinner and no complaints here.
I cant comment on the entertainment but there was no loud music and stopped early evening.

Chill out lounge is cool on the 8th floor and very peacefull. In fact, the whole no kids rule was a bonus as very quiet and relaxing.
Few nice touches around the pool area during the day - staff bringing fresh melon and sandwiches for example

This is a diamond of a hotel and definately deserves 4 stars and I can honestly say I could not find one fault in any aspect of the hotel.
I had the most relaxing week in luxury suroundings and was well looked after by all at the hotel.
Would recommend to all.
Older crowd but suited me and was there to chill. I had that and more and intend to go back.

Big thanks to all at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank chef007_10
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I recently stayed in the Big Sur (what's in a name) for 10 days. At the airport the taxi driver did not know the Big Sur at all. Ah, we then said the Moreque, and then he grinned and drove us straight to the hotel. So Moreque people : why in god's name have you changed the name? You have already done this a couple of times in the past, first it was the Melia Moreque (in 1973), then the Belroy Moreque( in the 80 thies), also the H10 Moreque. Now it is the Big Sure. Are you sur(e) you about the name? Everybody still calls it the Moreque!
In total we have been 24 times in LC , where of 14 times in the Moreque (we spent our honeymoon here in 1973). I have seen many different types of rooms and the reception in 4 different locations (i still vividly recall the steel bridge between the street and the first floor reception). Now with the upgrading of the upper floors, things are much nicer. But now the bathroom could do with some upgrading too (shower heads and valves).
One thing that bothers me is that you have to pay the hotel room in advance (i came with my family in two rooms) and have to sign the restaurant bill even before you sit down for diner. They obviously don't trust you. So why should i trust them? They must have had lots of bad experiences in the past! (greetings to Silvia and Sandra)
The quality of the food has improved considerably now. The coffee stand is a bit crowded at times and the ice cream corner is only accessible by one person at the time. The lighting spot above the coffee machines is a bad idea, it reflects onto the shiny surface of the machine and you can't see a thing (i took the liberty to adjust these). The dining room has only tables for 2, so finding a table for 4 is difficult at times. Joining 2 tables is only possible if two adjacent tables become vacant simultneously.
The really good thing about the hotel upgrade is the airco, silent and effective. They didn't have that in the old days!
And what are those bedside furnitures doing in the room. They remind me of the stack of wooden sticks that i put in my open fireplace to start the fire! Normally bedside furniture has a drawer to store small items such as cell phone transformer or other small stuff, but here : nothing can be stored. Room for improvement here, guys!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank AntwerpPipo
Bigsur_10, Gerente at H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear guests,
Thank you for your kind comments that you have placed on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel, and for being a valued repeater guest of our hotel for nearly 40 years now, wow!!
Please be assured all your comments will be shared with all the team, here at the H10 Big Sur. Great to hear that you particularly enjoyed the newly refurbished rooms, public areas, food offer Breakfast and evening meal as well as our service, even if the taxi driver didn´t knew the new name of our hotel!! After the complete refurbishment of the hotel with a modern, fresh, mediterranean design and a touch of vintage feel deserved a name according to the new image and our property decided to call it: Big Sur Hotel Boutique.
Thank you once again, for your valued feedback and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel.
Kind regards

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The H10 big sur is a lovely adult only hotel,food excellent something for every one,rooms spotlessly clean,staff friendly and polite,traveling at this time of year does mean there are quite a lot of oldies on holiday (but why not) think we was the youngest in our early 50s,entertainment was ok more for the oldies but still there was something on every nite..the only gripe is that you struggled for an English cup of tea in the dining room,in your bedroom there was a fancy coffee making machine but once used you had to pay 1 euro per cup and why they charge 16 euros for the safe for a week I will never know because the safes are in your room and electronic. Out side the hotel lovely and flat for walking was paying 95cent a pint yes under a euro ,the bars was very quite at this time of year in Los Cristianos but more lively in Las Americas but more expensive as well .another enjoyable holiday and would recommend the hotel but not suitable for groups of young girls or lads.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is above floor 2, the rooms have been refurbished above this level,and ask for a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank woody22Uk

Dear guests,
Thank you for your kind comments and constructive feedback that you have placed on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the H10 Big Sur Hotel Boutique.
I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, enjoyed your Breakfast and evening meal, the newly refurbished room, complimentary Nespresso Coffee machine. As always, we are so happy to read that our friendly and helpful staff were able to deliver a positive experience during your stay with us. By the way, at this time of the year are travelling mainly older people, younger people prefer the summer, Easter, Christmas season and the average age of customers is considerably lower.
Thank you once again for your valued feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have just come back from the H10 Big Sur. I had a wonderful stay for one week.The staff were very helpful and realy looked after me.The room on the first floor was clean and overlooked the front of the Hotel. I don't think the first floor had been refurbished but there was nothing wrong with the room. I didn't stay round the pool but walked to the beach which was not far daily.The food was very good,the meat, Bacon in the morning, fish and meat in the evening were cooked infront of you.I noticed two photos on stairwell were of Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor who had stayed in the hotel a number of times. The hotel is very relaxing and the staff cannot do enough for you,I would recommend staying at this hotel and will be returning soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank GlamorganBiscuit
Bigsur_10, Gerente at H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear guests,
Thank you so much for writing this excellent review on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your time for sharing your experience at the H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please join us again when your travel plans bring you back to Tenerife!.
Director

#12 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
Labranda Reveron Plaza
Labranda Reveron Plaza
#2 of 13 in Los Cristianos

Been to H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!