“Good in parts,pooor in others”

H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The Oasis Moreque (now H10 Big Sur) has been refurbished to a good standard in the public areas but not all the bedrooms have been updated. Ours, on the 4th floor overlooking the pool, still had the original bathroom suite which was showing it's age.
The dining room (also refurbished) was a little congested in some self service areas. The menu choices were not at all extensive and a little lacking in imagination. In particular we found the sweet selection to be very poor.
The chairs in the bar/entertainment were became really uncomfortable after a very short time.
The usual sunbed problem was in evidence with all the beds being reserved with a towel by 8am with many not being occupied until much later in the day.
On the positive side the hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the sheets were changed twice in a week,the hotel was immaculately clean and is really well located on the seafront promenade.

Room Tip: Opt for a pool/ seaview room at a supplement
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ShipleyDavid

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Holidayed at the H10 Big Sur hotel at the end of Sept '11! Beautiful hotel in an excellent location! We stayed in a brand new room with wet-room bathroom, tv on the wall, lovely decor on the ground floor and even though it was at the back of the reception desk it was really quiet. The lobby is very trendy and the refurbished pool and jacuzzi were a delight in the heat! Although to relax one day and seeing the turkish bath on offer in the basement for 8euro's a head me and my girlfriend booked in at reception and headed down at our designated time. I consider a turkish bath as being rubbed from head to toe on a slab for 40 minutes however the canarians idea of a turkish bath was a steam room and a sauna and we found this out after waiting for 20 minutes sat in a dressing gown!!

Apart from this our stay was excellent and we wouldn't hesitate going again!

Recommended Highly

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor, 3rd floor or 8th floor as these are the only ones to have been r...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Luke B
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and were eager to see the refurbished areas.

The public areas are very impressive and definitely have the wow factor - very cool and inviting and of course as always, all the staff are very welcoming, friendly and efficient and have remained with the hotel - always a good sign.

In my opinion, the dining room has not been well redesigned - having the two hot drinks machine with the juice machine sandwiched in between in a corner beside the cereal/fruit bar made for a hugely congested area at peak breakfast times when we were there. Also the wooden floor of the dining room which I suspect has been laid on top of the previous floor is beginning to lift in several areas - and this is after only a few weeks into the re- opening- poorly done.

We had one of the newly refurbished executive rooms - very nice to look at, but some impracticalities - two tiny wardrobes, with no drawers or shelving whatsoever - nowhere at all to store clothes - not even the bedside cabinets had drawers.The bathroom in our room had not been renewed and there was no toilet roll holder - the toilet roll being stored on the cistern behind - not very practical. There are other niggly things which I won't go on about.

In spite of the aforementioned negatives which I know are mere details, we love this hotel for many reasons and will always return - in fact, we are booked to come back in November. My complaint is not with the hotel at all but I feel that there are many aspects of the refurbishment which are disappointing and I feel that in some cases things have been done as a quick fix and will not necessarily be long lasting.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Isobel1523
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed in the H10 Big Sur (new name for Oasis Moreque) in August, when my daughter and I decided to have a "mother and daughter " 5 day break in Tenerife. Not having been to Tenerife before, we had no idea what to expect of the island, the resort or the hotel, but I can honestly say we were really pleased with the whole experience.

We arrived at the hotel and were immediately impressed with the refurbishment. Before travelling, we had read some reviews on Tripadvisor, and did have concerns about the hotel. On arrival, we knew we had nothing to worry about. The hotel had undergone a very tasteful refurbishment. White leather and shiny surfaces were everywhere in the reception area, and there was a wonderful feeling of calm. The reception staff were lovely - really welcoming and very helpful, and obviously very proud of their hotel's new image. Our room overlooked the pool area and the sea. It was very comfortable and well equipped (tv, fridge, hairdryer, safe) and left us wanting for nothing.

We were staying on a half board basis, and the food in the restaurant was excellent - plenty of choice at all times. The staff were polite and efficient but never made us feel as though they were watching our every move. Breakfast on the outside dining area was a lovely way to start the day.

The hotel has nightly entertainment and this was very good. Sitting in the bar, listening to singers/ watching Flamenco dancing was very pleasant.

H10 Big Sur is in a lovely position, close to the beach and with an excellent selection of shops, bars, etc. right on your doorstep but not close enough to be a nuisance. For two women travelling alone, to have everything within walking distance was a real plus. Also, the resort of Los Cristianos is only about a 10 minute transfer from the airport (about 23 euros in a taxi) and after a 4 hour flight it was so nice to find the journey to our hotel so quick and easy.

So, in our opinion, the hotel deserves a very big "well done and thank you"! We had a lovely, relaxing holiday and will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank ArnoldSolihull
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This hotel is a pleasure to stay at. Here for a week with my husband and cannot fault it one bit. Very relaxing, food excellent, rooms are good very comfortable and clean. Public areas are excellent and ALL staff are friendly and polite. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011
8  Thank AlisonSheehan
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I stayed for 10 nights from 18th March. Reason for choosing this hotel, is its location on the promenade if you go out of the entrance by the swimming pool, you can walk along seafront into the centre of Los Cristianos and beyond. I also opted for this hotel as my daughter works in the area and it was not too far away from where she lives.

I took a taxi from airport took about 20 mins and cost about €25. On arrival at hotel I was surprised to see it was down a slope to main entrance. For people who arrive on a coach, they stop at top of slope and you have to walk down with your luggage.

Check in was painless and reasonably quick. You have to pay for a safe, with a €10 refundable deposit. They will only take cash though for the safe and not a credit card. As I had arrived before official check in time, I was lucky and only had to wait 20 mins for my room to be ready.

Reception area – has some comfortable chairs to sit on, a hairdressers, a small room off it with 2 computers which you can pay for- €1 for 10 mins, a small selection of books to swop, and the tour operators guides to the area. There are also 2 massage chairs which you can pay for, which was about €2.

Room – I had a view over the street which was fine. If you want sea view you have to pay extra. The room itself was fine – as I came in there was a wardrobe which had sliding doors fitted with mirrors. Lots of hanging space, plus one side of wardrobe had about 4 large deep shelves to put clothes on. There was a dressing table with 2 small drawers, 2 single beds – watch out though as they are on wheels and can move easily with bedside tables. There was an armchair and a chair by the dressing table.
In the wardrobe are 2 extra pillows and blankets should you want them.

There was also a TV – if you wanted a remote control you could pay a deposit for it at reception, but to be honest you can operate it by the buttons on the TV. There was a fridge which if you want you can again pay for at reception. There is a fan in the room as well – it really wasn’t hot enough to use it.

The lighting in the room was some of the best I have encountered in hotels, with the light over the dressing table, and the lights over the beds, and the one in the passageway with wardrobes it was easy to read a book and not strain your eyes.

Bathroom – Had bath with shower over bath which could be hand held if you wanted it, a bidet, a toilet, and a handbasin set in a vanity unit with room to put your toiletries, and a towel rail for hand towels. Over the bath was a unit for bath towels. There were sachets of shampoo, bath gel, tissues, soap and a showercap on a tray. Bathroom was a reasonable size.

The bedroom and bathroom was cleaned daily, with fresh towels if you put used ones in bath.

Balcony - had a table, 2 plastic chairs, and a wash line hidden in a box on front of balcony. Also there is a shutter you can pull at night to keep room dark, this shutter has holes in it to allow air in, should you want to leave balcony door open.

Swimming Pool area – The swimming pool is more than adequate size for the overall size of the hotel. There are no shortage of beds and umbrellas and no scrum to get them in the morning. The pool on one side has some palm trees if you prefer to sit there. If you want a mattress and towel you can get them for €1.20 a day from a hut at side of pool. However the attendant is only there at certain time of the day to get them. There is a lifeguard on duty all day. There is a disabled toilet near the pool and other toilets downstairs from pool. There are a couple of cats around, one of which is white with shades of brown, and is extremely friendly and loves nothing more than sitting on your sunbed or wandering around the hotel and being stroked by everyone.

Bar area – The bar is next to swimming pool with tables and chairs on terrace in sunshine, otherwise there is a very large area which is covered and shady to sit in. This area is also used for evening entertainment and in the evenings they bring down plastic type windows to make it more enclosed. The bar has a good selection of drinks, but to be honest I only drink soft drinks and a coco cola is €2 for a glassful. They also serve some hot meals at lunchtime from an a la carte type menu. I didn’t eat here though, but plenty did. Pool bar is open 10am to midnight. There is also an indoor lounge area behind bar with tables/chairs.

Restaurant – I only ate breakfast in here, and there is a good selection. There is a machine which dispenses juices, and the orange looked more like squash, so I kept to apple juice, plus a couple of other choices. There are 2 tea/coffee machines, toasters etc. There is a choice of fruits, cereals, hot dishes for breakfast – these always included boiled eggs, baked beans and then perhaps hot bacon or ham, tomatoes, sometimes scrambled eggs or other items. However just behind this was a chef cooking fresh fried eggs and something else each day – e.g. pancakes or toasted ham/cheese sandwiches. There is also an enormous choice of breads – some by the toaster for toasting, or on the bread table a choice of different shaped rolls, and loaves of delicious bread which you could cut for yourself. Plus a choice of croissants – always plain, and sometimes filled with custard, or chocolate croissants and another type of cake/biscuit. There was also a choice of yoghurts etc. Jam etc was in large dishes which you could put on to your plate.

The tables were cleared quickly and efficiently. One thing which is worth noting is that one section of dining room is clearly marked for disabled with wheelchairs/buggies meaning more room between the tables.

Entertainment – The hotel has a range of daily activities (run about 5 and half days a week), these include an exercise class, French Bowls, Cocktail game, mini golf, billiards, darts, table tennis. While I was there it was run by a young gentleman who was very good and spoke about 5 languages. In the evenings there is bingo every night for a prize of a cocktail and a t-shirt, then a professional show. I was out most evenings but did manage to see the Elvis tribute show and the Parrot show. Other shows include Beatles tribute and a flamenco show.

If you went out of hotel by pool entrance and turned to your left, about 100m away was a lovely cafe where I ate lunch most days. If you turned right and walked towards centre of town, there is a wonderful ice cream shop with about 30 flavours to choose from no more than 200m from hotel, also a supermarket etc., and if you just keep walking there are loads of restaurants to choose from for lunch or dinner, and most have special set price menus for under €10., plus of course the shops.

The market is on a Sunday, come out of hotel by front entrance, turn right and market is about 200m down the road.

The whole of Tenerife is very disabled friendly with ramps everywhere for those with wheelchairs or children in buggies etc.

Please note. The hotel is closing for refurbishment from 1st May to 15th July 2011, and from speaking to the people at reception they are making improvements to the reception area, bar/pool area, plus making top 3 floors of hotel executive rooms. I do hope that the improvements include a coat of paint to the whole outside of hotel which is badly in need of a lick of paint.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and will definitely be returning again in due course. There was also a good mix of nationalities at hotel including English, Belgian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Swiss etc.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
30  Thank Gil57
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 12 nights with my husband and my elderley parents, our friends also came but for just five nights. On arrival our friends wanted their room changing as they were not happy with it. Unfortunatley the hotel was very full so they had to stay in their allocated room. Our room was 127, this room is situated immediatley over the hotels kitchen delivery door, so there was lots of early deliveries and noise. My parents room 128, contstantly stank of seweridge, we did comment about it and we were greatful of the cleaner trying to rid the room of the smell, however she was unsuccesful. The rooms were very adequate, clean and the beds were comfortable. The TV is limited, four english chanels, news, sport, news and some more news. Fortunatley we do not go on holiday to watch TV, but my parents would of liked the option to watch the TV, there is a charge for the remote control to watch the sport and the news. There is also a charge to use the safe in the room, there is no tea or coffee making facilities, you can request a kettle again for a charge. There is also a charge for the sun bed cushion and towel by the pool.
The food was extremely average, as my parents are elderley we decided to go half board so that they could stay in the hotel in the evening. The food was plentiful, but not exactley good, if there was scrambled egg for breakfast and it was left, it would appear again in the evening mixed with pasta, or presented on a salad, same with any hot dog sausages etc., There was always fresh food being cooked in the mornings this was usually fried eggs and in the evinings fish. This was often the best choice. The other "hot food" was at best warm, very nicley presented buffet style. However having said this many people appeared to enjoy the food and did appear to eat plenty, maybe my family are just rather particular when it comes to food? We would often have the salad with the fish that was being freshly cooked. There are plently vending machine style drinks in the morning both hot and cold, however be warned they are vending machines and taste exactley like they have come out of a vending machine!!!. We often chose to eat out, on reflection we should have gone just B and B. or better still room only.
The postition of the hotel is superb, as you leave the back of the hotel you are immediatley on the promenade, which is lovely. The beach is a stones throw from the hotel and there are many benches and seats to rest if needed.
The pool is very nice, there is a policy of no reserving the sun beds, however many many people chose to ignore this and we were disapointed that the hotel staff did not stand by this rule as many people would reserve beds in the morning and then disapear for the majority of the day. There are alot of trees around the pool so there is lots of shade if you require it, however if you are a sun worshiper you will have to keep moving around and there is little space to do this as the reserved beds were often the ones in the sunny spots.
I like cats and this is a good thing, for those people who do not like them, the hotel has a number of resient cats who lounge around the pool area and will when invited come into the reception area and sit on peoples laps and on the hotel sofas.
The staff were nice and spoke many languages, some could be considered cold ie the wiaters, and the pool attendant. The cleaners and the reception staff were very attentive.
I hope that I have given a rounded, fair reveiew, as I am consious what consiquences for the hotel unbalanced reveiews can have, howevere I, my husband, our fireinds nor my parents would ever consider return to this hotel, it was by no means cheap, nor overly expensive. We will returm to Los Cristianos though

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Cleopatra Palace Hotel
#12 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

Been to H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!