“Not as good as it was”

Description: Opposite Pension la Paloma
Essex
“Not as good as it was”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have eaten at La Paloma several times and taken others with us on several occasions.
I love garlic chicken and my husband has always looked forward to the rabbit dishes - not something you can get everywhere. On our latest visit, I had been going to have the chicken but was tempted to have a lamb shank by the waiter as he kept pushing it as a 'special today'. I thought it tasted as if it had a 'twang' to it but thought it was just a different sauce maybe. How wrong I was - should have listened to my instincts and not eaten it. From about 4.00am I was being ill and rushing to the loo. Of all days we were going on a booked excursion to Gomera on a coach too! I had to have more than the recommended amount of Immodium tablets to be able to go on the trip. We wouldn't eat there again, which is a shame as it was one of our regular places. However, I'd just recommend to others not to have any daily specials that are being 'pushed' by the waiting staff. It was obviously something that had been hanging around and they wanted to get rid of. Also, we missed the outside waiter who has been there several years - we spotted him another day working in another restaurant. Several other staff looked different too, so we wondered whether the restaurant had changed hands. Shame.

• Visited January 2013

• Finnish first
Northampton
“What a lovely welcome”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Find this little restaurant in a back street just off the front by Burger King and you will not be disappointed. What a really friendly reception you get with non of the usual heavy sell or pictures on boards. The food was well cooked presented and enjoyed by me and everyone around me. As a single traveller I was really made welcome and returned three times each one a delight. Try the giant grilled prawns if you feel like pushing the boat out , magnificent.

• Visited April 2013
Lerwick, United Kingdom
“Great food, friendly staff!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stumbled upon this hidden gem by chance away from the hustle and bustle of the harbour area. The food was excellent and our waitress was very friendly and helpful. Well worth a visit!

• Visited April 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An absolute must for tapas”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We love this place, went three times on our recent visit. Staff are friendly and the food was fantastic. Excellent value for money. To me this is a traditional tapas restaurant not to be missed.

Visited April 2013
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Great food, friendly staff, great value for money”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Visited this year after stumbling upon the restaurant last year. Its in the maze of streets in the town and well worth tracking down. The staff remembered us from last year, despite only having visited for 1 meal and gave us a very warm welcome.

Food is traditional tapas or a huge selection from their a-la-carte. We opted for the set meal at 19.95Euros for 2 persons which is a selection of about 10 tapas including vegetarian/fish/meat/chicken dishes. We added about 4 extra tapas and this fed 4 people. Food was excellent again. Well worth a visit. Service is excellent.

• Visited March 2013