“WOW”
Review of Avli Tou Thodori

Avli Tou Thodori
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“WOW”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

After reading many gushing reviews of this place and having an ATV which we put too much petrol into, we decided to hit the open roads and check out places further afield. Sat nav in hand we made our way to Platys Gialos Beach. On the beach front, the 2nd restaurant in on the left, was a pretty restaurant with deck chairs outside which are complimentary if you are eating in (or in our case, they let us use them anyway as we seemed like we might eat there later).

We were walking by the entrance when the maitre de welcomed us and told us that this was the number 1 restaurant in Mykonos. We got into a conversation about what on the menu was nice, and he was so confident that his food was special that he took us into the kitchen and showed us the fish that was available - red gills, crystal clear eyes, about as fresh as it could be and no doubt really tasty too.

We took some menus, lay down on the deck chairs and perused. Everything looked interesting and we did not know where to start. As we were taking our time, another waiter came out with 2 complimentary shots of ouzo to "stimulate our appetites"...and it worked. It was a nice gesture and we didn't feel pressured by it.

So by this time the main lunch crowd was dispersing and we got our pick of tables. There are some nice cushioned ones out in the back of the restaurant where it is a little quieter, although sitting under the awnings at the front with the sea breeze in your hair has its obvious charms too.

A little basket of rather nice bread and a trio of dill and garlic butter, olive oil with a splash of basalmic vinegar, and tapanade came to start whilst we waited for our dishes to be cooked.

In the end we went for saganaki covered in a crisp filo with a caramelised fig and nut compote, and pork meatballs in a tomato herb sauce. The portions were good, and the dishes were so nice and very different. We congratulated ourselves on good choices and my partner warned me not to eulogise until we had had our mains too.

No fear, the mussels in finocchio and saffron were wonderful too, and so unusual - a slightly aniseed flavour, but not overpowering and I am not hugely keen on aniseed, so I found this very nicely balanced. The portion also was good sized. I eyed up my partner's calamari with tartare sauce, and we decided to swap for a bit. Also very good and the tartare sauce was fresh and zingy with little hits of capers.

"I think the waiter was right when he said this was the number 1 place" I said, but that was before the complimentary dessert...a large plate of baby donuts with honey and cinnamon. I was more than impressed!

Atmosphere is fantastic, they have chilled out ambient music (we even heard "I will survive" done to a café del mar vibe), the decor is neutral with shots of colour. The toilets are fab (another patron raved about them to us as we went by), and the staff...really lovely, attentive without being obtrusive and the waiter went out of his way to find out the exact ingredients in some of the dishes that I was impressed by.

Our food bill came to a very reasonable 43 euros including some water and a beer.

Could this be the number 1 restaurant in Mykonos? It might just well be!

1 Thank primocat

• Turkish first
Australia
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Petasos resort just a few steps away from this restaurant. The food was exceptional, as was the service by the very attentative waiters. The son of the original owner now has this place is a very nice guy. The view over the ocean is great.

There are lots of restaurants on this stretch of beach but this one really lives up to its number one ranking.

Visited May 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
“The place to eat again and again, until you repeat the Menu tenfold!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at Argos hotel. This being its sister restaurant, we were immediately told at the hotel that being hotel guests, we had 10% off when eating at the Avli Tou Thodori.
At first look we thought this could be the typical "very good looking but not such nice food for tourists" place. How wrong were we!!
After I had a quick browse on Tripadvisor, I noticed the recommendations for this restaurant were over the top, which got me and my girlfriend curious. They're nothing short of the absolute truth.
The food is magnificient, with a variety for any demanding palates, the staff were amongst the most professional, friendliest, nicest people we've ever met, so polite and attentive that they've ruined it for us when going out to eat anytime in the near future where we live.
The Greek dishes are sublime, the typical mediterranean food is excellent, the pastas are better than you'll have in Italy - we can tell you that much!! - the meat is excellent, the fish is fresh and tasty, the salads are incredible. And I won't mention the desserts, as we're currently on a short diet after our "more than 10 meals in 6 days" at this restaurant.
For such service and food you'd expect to pay a real fortune, but in the end the surprise comes with a very very affordable place that provides a supreme meal experience any time of the day.
Even if you're not staying in Platys Gialos, this place is unmissable and we miss it already.
Big compliments for the owner that runs it spot-on, making everyone so welcome and comfortable. We can't wait to sit there again and spend a very nice few hours enjoying it.

1 Thank MValenteRola
“Perfection!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Forget tavernas of old with fishing nets and glass bottles hanging off the ceiling! The Avli Tou Thodori is a fantastic example of traditional Greek cuisine fused with modern European and a relaxed atmosphere. My husband and I and our two daughters (age 9 & 5) stayed at the nearby Argo Hotel (also owned by the same people). When we arrived at the hotel we walked down the beach and were warmly welcomed into the restaurant for lunch. The menu was varied and exciting to read and after our choices were made we were not disappointed with our food. The view across the sea was blissful. We had an excellent lunch which was followed by a very relaxing afternoon on the sunbeds provided in front of the restaurant and right by the sea. The children played happily just in front of where we had sat down. During the afternoon we ordered a fresh fruit platter (not on the menu but should be!) and the children had milkshakes while we enjoyed one of their tasty cocktails. The atmosphere inside and outside of the restaurant is incredibly chilled, the music has a ambient vibe to it and the clientele was a very varied crowd. It was just 'easy' which what you'd hope for a beach side establishment. We ended up eating there about 6 times in the end, lunch and dinner, always eager to sample something different off the menu. And it's still left us feeling that we want to go back for more. The staff are excellent, genuine people and couldn't have been more accommodating. Thanasis, the owner, is also always there to ensure his clients happiness. The story behind the restaurant is very personal to him and I think this really shines through with the efforts he has put in. We even ordered some food for our flight home that he had delivered to the hotel before we left. A very nice touch on his behalf that took the stress out for us. The 10% discount given from staying at the Argo was a great bonus. I don't think the photos uploaded on here give the food the justice it deserves...it's much better!

1 Thank Milou71
“Faultless”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had our last meal of our holiday at this wonderful restaurant. The food was beautifully presented and perfectly cooked. The staff could not do enough for us, ensuring our wine glasses were topped up and that we were happy. They also offered us a dessert to share on the house and a local liqueur to finish off a lovely last evening. I would recommend this restaurant without any hesitation.

Visited May 2013