“Absolutely superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Absolutely superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had the utmost pleasure when driving through Waihi recently to fall upon this delightful cafe for a quick cuppa. However when we entered the cafe, it was truly relaxing, extremely friendly and clean that we just had to sample the menu on offer there. The food was very tasty, well presented and arrived in a timely manner. To top it all the prices were very good. The staff were very friendly and well presented and made our morning tea stop off a very wonderful experience. Will certainly be popping in again when passing through Waihi in the future.

• Visited January 2014

Hamilton, NZ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently went there to lunch with a friend. The business has now changed ownership, however we thought we would give it a go based on its former reputation. I ordered my lunch only to find it had to be returned to the kitchen. It was tasteless. The corn fritters were like pikelets. The plating did not look too bad. The first initial taste was baking powder, they were dry and had very little corn in the fritters. It was corn kernel only. Tasteless. The bacon looked ok. My friend ordered the penne pesto pasta dish which she had tasted previously and noted it was not as good....again change of ownership.

I explained I was not happy with what I had ordered. I had to call a waitress to the table. At no time did they come and ask if the meals were ok. They took this meal back however the obvious stares from the kitchen and waiting staff was not welcome at all. I then chose something out of the cabinet and was refunded the difference between the two items. The wholemeal based vegetarian pie was more than disappointing. The base was dry and crumbly, some of the veges under cooked. If you want to pour tomato sauce over your food for it to taste good then go ahead. I sent this back advising why I could not eat it. I am not sure who does the cooking however it was not of a good standard and I would not eat there again or recommend it to anyone. Again there were obvious stares and discussion by the staff directed toward me and they were not appreciated. I ordered a latte to which I was told it was $4.70, thinking this would have come out of the money I had paid, however that was not the case. This coffee actually ended up costing me $13.00 and I had not even eaten. If I were to treat my clients like this I would not be in business. This is most unfortunate as the previous owner had an excellent reputation for service and food (Diane). I travel extensively and would have been more than happy with a cup of soup and toast made at home than the food served here. The young waitress who took my latte order was extremely rude and snappy. Prior to even ordering lunch the cafe was interrupted by a large Coke machine being delivered, leaving the doors wide open for those seated next to the doors to freeze. They struggled to get the machine in with two attempts and my friend sitting with me moved out of the way from our table for safety reasons. It disrupted the cafe as people were unable to enter and leave. This went on for about 15 minutes. Surely it could have been delivered outside of cafe hours.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Auckland, New Zealand
“Very good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This Waihi cafe is very good value, with a variety of menu items to suit all tastes. Portions are generous and the coffee is great. Storage space is obviously an issue for the proprietors. The patron toilets are out the back. This means finding your way past the kitchen and numerous stacks of food items, equipment and fridges to get to the loo. The staff do well with the small space that they have.

Visited March 2013