Rana
LBN Asian Hotel(Kampong Cham)
$41
$34
Monorom VIP Hotel(Kampong Cham)
$16
$15
Daly Hotel(Kampong Cham)
$18
$16
$15
$12
Agoda.com
7 Makara Hotel(Kampong Cham)
$20
$17
$14
$41
$36
All reviewsno electricitypol potrural cambodiabike ridememorable experiencetheir liveseye opening experiencelocal villagecambodia tripher husbandevery mealon footinteresting peoplelocal childrenthe busmosquito nethosts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We spent two nights with this wonderful family. It was a brief but intense glimpse of rural cambodian life. From our initial contact in Australia by email to our departure on the bus our hosts were attentive. The accomadation is an immaculately clean basic elavated bungalow. there is a separate guest bathroom consisting of a toilet, and cold ladel shower both which are more than adequate. The lack of electricity only adds to the authenticity of the overall experience. Kheany is a wonderful cook and her meals were the best - no joke - we had in all of Cambodia. On the first night her mother came and spoke with us via Kheany's translations about her experiences of Cambodian rural life pre and during Pol Pot and how she percieves her community now and the impact it had on her family ,Kheany took us to the local primary school where she introduced us to all the teachers and principal and translated for us so we could learn first handabout the educational system and obstacles , challenges faced by teachers, children and families. It was an eye opener. That night Kheany arranged for a maths secondary school teacher to come and talk to us which further added to our knowledge. Don is able to provide a unique insight into living as a foregiener in Cambodia and their children Nu and Ra are delightful. Our 12 year old son loved being able to converse and play with them both. Every part of our time with this welcoming family was fantastic, educational but also amazingly relaxing and fun. Well worth the 4 hour bus trip if you really want an insight into rural cambodian life.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HMR_11
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I was excited to book with Rana Homestay after reading all the glowing reviews about it. After having a phone conversation and an email exchange with Don, I have to say that I am confused about all the positive reviews since I found him to be very rude.

My brother and his girlfriend are coming to visit me in Cambodia for a short vacation and I was hoping to stay at Rana for one night before escorting them back to Phnom Penh so they can catch their plane home. I was excited to give them a glimpse of the Cambodian countryside in addition to showing them what life is like where I stay in Battambang. When I called to make a reservation, it became clear that we couldn't stay for only one night. I understand and appreciate that they are not opening their home just to make money so I am ok with the minimum stay. And, of course, it is his house so he can certainly make the rules. But I was surprised by the rudeness with which he informed me of the two night policy and that I had no reservation.

I reviewed the website again and found several mentions of one night stays (even a description of what you can expect to experience if you are only staying one night) so I sent an email to Don to let him know how he could update the website to avoid confusion for future visitors like me. I was trying to be helpful, not incendiary but perhaps he has received this input too many times already because I received another impolite response.

For those who do have the time to dedicate two nights at Rana homestay, I am sure you will enjoy meeting and interacting with Don's neighbors – the Cambodian people are amazing!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Haiku M
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at Rana homestay. This was one of our best experiences in Cambodia. We realy loved to stay here in the countryside and do the walking and biking tour. Although it was realy, realy hot temperture, no electricity and no running water... we enjoyed everything!

The owners of Rana made up this great 'concept' to experience a real Cambodia. (with concept I don't mean a fake thing).
They take you for a bike ride and a walking trip through the Cambodian villages, they invite Cambodian people (like a teacher of family member) who you can talk to. They make great meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).

We went there as a couple, but if you're with kids, this is a good experience for them too (they also have 2 kids, a boy and a girl).

If you want to make your Cambodia trip special, you have to go to Rana Homestay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LucAnna2011
Reviewed December 16, 2011

After 2 weeks on the touristic track, this homestay was amazing.

You are staying at a American/Cambodian couple with 2 children Ra and Na. There are 2 bungalows for the guest, which were clean and spacious. There is no electricity or hot water, so it is very back to basic. But that's fine and really gives you the real experience. The food was great. We had some real tasty Cambodian food, made by the the wife.

The tours were also very nice. She will take you to her own village (nearby) by bike or will take you on a hiking tour to the country side. It's all very relaxing and very nice to see.

If you don't mind going back to basic and want to experience the real Cambodia, this is a very nice place to go.

Room Tip: It has only 2 bungalows, so make a phone call in advance
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2011

we were here with our three kids (10,8 and 5) we really loved it here, back to basics, no electricity!!! but really nice food, good conversation and really nice people

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family