“Wonderful little family-run restaurant serving excellent delicious Khmer food at fantastic prices.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leap 24 Restaurant

Leap 24 Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 22 Restaurants in Kampong Cham
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Discovered this little restaurant near the Kazuna Bridge, on the Kampong Cham City side, check out my photos and you’ll see the first two give you a visual of where it is located from the bridge.

First thing that hit me here was the variety and quantity of menu choices. Also the place was pretty much full of casual diners, both Cambodian and foreign. Kampong Cham City is not a hot spot for foreign visitors as is Siem Reap with Angkor Wat, the capital Phnom Penh or the beaches of Sihanoukville or Kep so I kind of expected to find small family owned restaurants and the prices to be lower as well and this rung true here at Lucky 24 Restaurant (Leap is Cambodian for Lucky).

I have attached pics of the complete menu and you’ll note that there are two prices for each dish, 6000 and 12000 riel or $1.50 USD and $3.00 USD, basically just different portion sizes. I was dining with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, both Cambodian born living abroad so I had excellent food critics with me and also wonderful was that we would try several dishes.

We ordered beef lok lak (fried beef in small pieces served with raw onion, tomato and a lime & black pepper based dipping sauce), deep fried fish, beef sour soup (somlah machu kreung sa ko) and steamed rice. Everything was delicious. The lok lak beef was tender and the lime & black pepper dipping sauce was fantastic. The soup was the right balance of tangy tamarind sour and slightly sweet spice paste (lemongrass, fresh turmeric, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, and shallots).

We liked it so much that we ended up returning a second time with our nephew, a local Khmer, who also said that the food was excellent. On our second visit we ordered the fried fish with ginger, fried Chinese vegetable with beef, sour soup with tomato and fish and fried rice with vegetable. Again all was delicious washed down with a beer this time.

Pros: delicious food, good menu variety, very reasonable prices, friendly service
Cons: can’t think of any

• Visited April 2011