“Friendly and attentive staff, fantastic food, amazing surroundings, the best holiday”

Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Playa d'en Bossa
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is my first ever review on Trip Advisor, but after recently returning from a fortnight at the Grand Palladium Palace I felt compelled to write a review in response to some of the neigh sayers.

My wife and I booked our trip to the Grand Palladium nearly a year ago and at the time we were almost put off by the talk of "French Gypsies".

After spending a fortnight there I can safely say that we saw nothing of the sort. Fair enough the hotel had a large amount of French guests, who by virtue of their nationality can appear rude at times, but to label them as gypsies is nothing short of racist. The hotel had an equal amount of German, Dutch, Spanish and English guests.

By enlarge the French guest we encountered were friendly and well-to-do. Indeed a number of them had their families and nannies with them, so i cannot Imagine that they stepped of the nearest camp site. If you do not want to encounter other cultures whilst on holiday then perhaps you should consider centre parks next year!

In stark contradiction to the previous reviews I have read the rudest behaviour I witnessed during this holiday was on behalf of the British people staying in the hotel. It seems that some of my fellow countrymen believe that just because they have paid for an all inclusive holiday, they have the right to be rude to the hotel staff as part of the deal.

I suspect a few of those ignorant fools have already give their two pennies on this site. Well guess what? If you're rude to hotel staff, chances are they're going to be rude back!

The hotel was clean, the staff were attentive and friendly; and the food was world class for an all inclusive.

We had an amazing family holiday in the company of other nations.

Ibiza is a laid back island for laid back people. Playa d'en bosa is hectic, if you are uptight then it's not for you. Go somewhere else!

And one final thought to bare in mind. This hotel has never claimed to be a 5 star. The sign the door says 4 and it's a very good 4 star. If you're travel company has said otherwise then take it up with them.

Thank you to all the Grand Palladium staff for all your hard work

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FiestaHotelGroup_FHG, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Adam,

We would like to thank you for rating us 5/5 on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted you did enjoy your stay with us and that your experience was to your satisfaction.
We hope to welcome you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
jersey
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked 2 weeks here in August 2013. The hotel is low rise and attractive with a spacious atrium and front desk. Check in was quick and the receptionists were helpful and smiled a lot. The room was average size for a tourist hotel. We had a room in Block 4 which is quieter than Blocks 1 to 3 and suited us. Ground floor rooms have no balcony and people can walk past your patio at any time of day so best to avoid.

There are 4 pools, 2 of which are advertised as adult. In practice only 1 is really an adult pool as the other is quite shallow (max depth 130cm) and is used by children and their parents. The big adult pool has all the activities and is surrounded by sunbeds squashed together tightly. The shallow "adult pool" is quieter and has more room.

There are plenty of sunbeds but not enough umbrellas hence the need to reserve yours early every morning. Despite the wishes of the hotel not to do this everyone does and if you don't you wont get an umbrella.

The 4 restaurants are good. The buffet restaurant has themed dishes every night which range from seafood to chinese to sushi to international. There are always pizzas, pasta, hot meats and fish, a roast and enough to keep the fussiest eater happy. The 2 a la carte restaurants are good but not as good as they could or should be. The organisation is ludicrous as you cannot book a table so take pot luck on getting one. If you can't you have to go back to the buffet. The service at the a la carte restaurants is erratic and we actually had 2 meals mixed up during our stay. The advantage is you can eat outside but you can't get the best all inclusive wine (well we couldn't) at either of these restaurants. Try the lamb cutlets at the Mediterranean and the chocolat parfait. The people who greet you are useless; try to speak to the Head waiter who knows what is going on.

There is a near-the-beach restaurant serving lunches which we enjoyed. There are cooling breezes and a selection of salads and fried meat and fish. There was paella every day. It is advertised as being on the beach but it isn't.

The hotel is very clean. However the cleaners don't start work until 8 in the morning which means walking round them if you want an early breakfast. Room cleaning was usually efficient and we had regular fill-ups of bath stuff and minibar contents. Towels are changed daily, sheets every 2 days. All the staff were very friendly and work hard. You don't need to tip early to get good service.

Playa den Bossa beach is lovely when there is no-one on it and awful when it's full. There is no promenade so you have to either walk on the beach or inland on a dusty road to get to the other end. There are thousands of sunbeds, which makes for a very packed scene. At 7 euros a bed and 10 euros a brolly per day this can get expensive. It's a bit like the Blackpool of 25 years ago.

Don't go on the Spirit of Ibiza tour as you will spend most of the time on a bus!

The hotel entertainment team work hard and produced 4 shows during our stay which were great fun. Take them as being amateur and you will enjoy them. And they're free. Take some mozzie spray as you might end up with a few bites.

Now the clientele. Well we went in August, French holidays, and there were a lot of French guests. Many were very nice, some were not and this reflected in the behaviour of their children as well. There are also a lot of Jewish guests which is not a problem until you combine the French and the Jewish and this produced a quite large clique of guests who behaved as if they had priority over everyone else. We were intimidated out of our sunbathing position around the pool for example and there were regular arguments between several of these guests and the hotel staff. Not what you expect on your holidays.

Finally, this is not a 5 star hotel by any stretch of the imagination. It's 4 star and how it got 5 star billing is a mystery. Maybe the criteria need to be explained better or reviewed. We have stayed in better 4 star hotels in the Maldives, Kos, Cyprus and Barbados so don't be fooled by this rating.

Room Tip: Block 4 is quieter than Blocks 1 to 3.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jerseyman56
FiestaHotelGroup_FHG, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is unfortunate to read that your experience at A La Carta Restaurant was not of your satisfaction. We operated with high standards of in quality service and we would like have the opportunity to demostrate you how good our service is.
We take your suggestions into account and hope to welcome you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My young family and I stayed here for two weeks 14-28th August. We could not fault the entire hotel and its staff. From the security guards, maids, to the waiting staff and animation team, all incredibly friendly and polite throughout our stay. We were a little worried after reading some of the trip advisor reviews re: French gypsies but we need not have. The hotel guests were mainly French, Spanish and German and we found them polite, friendly and quite fashion conscious young families, and not at all like we had been led to believe.
The hotel has two a la carte restaurants which is based on a first come first serve basis, we never had any problem getting a table. I feel this is a much fairer service as in previous experiences people are greedy and book up all the tables a week in advance. We were very impressed by the high quality, with dishes such as carpaccio of beef, sirloin, lobster, all delightfully presented. You could tell waiting staff were sometimes overwhelmed at the end of the night which could mean you could wait a long time for deserts but given the quality of the food we were receiving as part of an all inclusive we were never disapointed.
The buffet restaurant had an amazing choice, including fresh salads and selections of meats, with a speciality every night. We even had sushi made freshly infront of us.
Our young daughter absolutely loved the minidisco, by the superb animation team which was multilingual and she was able to join in. The hotel is immaculately clean and the maids were never disgruntled if you asked them to come back later, nothing was ever a problem.
The absolute best thing about this hotel is how relaxed its staff are there was no wannabe hitler maitre d bossing staff around making you feel uncomfortable. We loved this but I guess some people like a pretentious atmosphere.
The only flaw I could really find is that the bedroom decor could do with being a bit more chic if its want to compete with other 5 star hotels, I probably wouldn't say this was a 5 star, as 5 star is virtually impossible with all inclusive. Its more an incredibly good 4 star. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends and would definitely return.

2 Thank kirsty187069
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing you nice review with us and for rating us 5/5 on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted you did enjoy your stay with us. I hope to welcome you next year again.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We visited Ibiza for the first time this summer and it was very spontaneous as we were invited by friends about a week in advance. They were staying at the Ibiza Grand and since there was no availability we had to find a different hotel for 2-3 days and then switch.

Our agency recommended us with the Grand Palladium saying that with the Ibiza Grand these were the 2 best Hotels on the island.

After a long check-in process we were given hand bands and were told that these were for the restaurants, which are all inclusive. This was a big surprise as my agency didn't mention anything to me about the hotel being all inclusive. Then the reception staff organized for the buggy to drive us to our room. In this short drive we passed by the pool which was very busy to say the least, mostly with families and their children.

When finally getting to our room, which was a junior suite, the bad has just gotten worse. Our 'Junior suite' came with 3 identical separate bedrooms with 3 identical and separate bathrooms. At this point my wife and I just broke down and laughed.

I called my agency informing them about us not being happy with the hotel they chose for us and with the room we ended up getting. By the time the agency got back to us we were already at the reception with our luggage. We were told that these are what their junior suites are like and since the hotel is fully booked it is impossible for us to get a different room. From my side I informed them that we will not be staying at this hotel, to which they answered that I will be carrying 100% of the cancellation cost. This led to an argument I won't disclose here.

The receptionist didn't look very much surprised when I told him that we were leaving and that my agency will deal with all the financial matters. He left to the managers office and told us to wait. After a good 10 minutes a different lady turned to us and asked for the armbands and then said we are free to leave, and so we did. All in all we were in the hotel for about 90 minutes.

I mean where is the common sense when giving a couple a room that has 3 separate bedrooms in it?! On top of that the room looked very old and tired and more like a 3 star hotel, which is unacceptable for the price we paid.

It's been more than three weeks and I still don't have a final answer from my agency about the refund, as they are still negotiating this matter with their spanish partners. The funny thing is that the hotel claims that we just stood up and left without informing anyone and without checking out. Needless to say this is very untrue.

As we have not really stayed at the hotel, my purpose is not really reviewing the hotel but more like saying publicly that this hotel might not be a good fit for everyone. Especially for couples looking for an intimate and relaxed holidays and also for someone that is used to the more luxurious side of 5 star hotels.

We continued our visit in Ibiza at the Mirador for 3 nights and then at the Ibiza Grand. They were both lovely hotels and I will try and review them in the near future as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Guy3103
Dear guest,

I am sorry to hear that you did not stay with us. It is not common to deal with this kind of situation. Our company prides itself on provinding great service which is why I was so dissapointed to read your post.
I am sorry that your agency has not been able to satisfy your needs. Please contact us by email : guestservice.palaceibiza@palladiumhotelgroup to know more about the day of your arrival to find out if we have charged the cost upon cancellation.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

Zonhoven, Belgium
Reviewed August 31, 2013

First time in Ibiza. We (my parents and me) took a taxi from the airport, which was about 5 minutes (10 euros). The check-in at the reception went very smooth. Very soon we were shown our room. This was located in block 2, facing the nature reserve, which was very quiet. Although we had also view of the airport, we could not hear the planes. The room was big enough for 3 adults. The cleaning staff worked very hard, since our room was spotless clean every day with each day some new towels.
The hotel domain was also very clean and lovely decorated. There are two big pools with enough sunbeds for everybody. (If there are no sunbeds available anymore, you can ask the lifeguard and he will get some for you.) Arrive early when you also want a parasol. We only used the big pool where the animation team organized the activities and it was my opinion that this pool could be cleaner.
The hotel is very close to the beach. This is a public beach and you have to pay for the sunbeds and parasols. Therefore we used the towels, which you can get from the infohouse (adjacent to the tennis courts), to lay down on. These towels can be changed every day. The beach bar (portefino) was quite a walk from the beach if you wanted some drinks.
The restaurant was big and if you prefer to eat very quietly, I suggest to go to the back since there was less noise. Service at the tables was very good. At breakfast time the staff offers you coffee as soon you were seated. At lunch or diner, they bring you soft drinks or wine as you ordered. The food was very tasteful, with a lot of choice. If you don't like anything they are serving, you are a difficult eater. Breakfast: lots of eggs cooked or baked at different ways, pancakes, churros, bread, cornflakes, fruit... Don't forget the champagne, very nice! At lunch and dinner, there are pizzas, hamburgers, pastas and french fries for the little ones, and lots of choice in different kind of meat, fish, potatoes, rice, ... Also the saladbar was nice. Each evening there was a theme: mexican, oriental, ... The dessert buffet was delicious. At Wednesday there were 8 different kinds of cakes. The chocolate one was my favourite, very tasteful! Portefino (beach bar) also served lunched, but we didn't made use of it. At Thursday there was a (Hawaiian) party with barbecue at the beach bar. The mojito's which were served at this party were very tasteful. The other free cocktails at the resort were not my taste. Not all the cocktails are free, but it is possible to upgrade your all-in to get more choice. However although I didn't liked to cocktails listed in the menu, it is always possible to ask for eg. rum-cola, gin-tonic, ... Also the sangria was of very good standard.
This holiday was very great but what makes it more perfect is the hotel entertainment team! They all worked very hard, were always smiling and very friendly. There were a lot of different daytime activities which were well supervised. I especially enjoyed the aqua gym! Also the other activities such as water polo, water volley, beach volley, rifle shooting, cocktail games, ... were fun to watch or to participate. Each day at around 12 am they served you some fruit and promoted the night time activities. Each evening there was a mini-disco which was very fun to watch. At our stay we saw three shows: Mamma Mia, Moulin Rouge and Lion King. These were from good quality, better than other shows we saw at other resorts. We would like to say thanks to Ruben, Nacho, Harry, Lacha, Zolts, Alba, Sofia and the others for a wonderful vacation!

2 Thank DorienB89
FiestaHotelGroup_FHG, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Dorien,

We would like to thank your for rating us 5/5 on Tripadvisor and for your nice review.
We are delighted to hear you did enjoy the dessert buffet and the shows. The entertainment team work very hard to satisfy our guests.

All our staff look forward to welcoming you next year, specially our entertainment team.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We arrived at 11.30 am. local time after early morning flight from Manchester. Three rooms booked, one ready, others from 3.00 pm. Reception staff, half looked like they were under training and had to ask other 'older' staff for advice, a simple task booking in, but some looked like they had been chosen for their looks and not ability. On one occasion when I had to phone reception, I tried for 5 minutes but got no answer. When I walked to reception, there was no one present at the desk and had to knock on the access door to get some attention.

The rooms we had booked were spacious [block 4] with a view if the children's pool area, all what you would expect of a 4* hotel, beds are very comfortable, but wardrobe space has been compromised for access to the adjoining room bathroom. The air-con was a must have, as these balconies get like an oven in the afternoon.

Only having one bar in the evening for the size of the hotel was limiting, but they made up for this with extra bar staff and waiters. The lounge area was not adequate, as you were expected to sit outside and enjoy the various entertainment programmes that took place. On the one evening that it rained, the lounge could not cope with the numbers of guests trying to find a seat and having to compete with the entertainment team for space.

The main dining area was very clean and well attended by staff. All very pleasant and greeted us every time we dined. A good selection of food with a different theme every night, only the Pizza area repeating every lunch / dinner. We chose to eat in, as the terraces are favoured by the fag puffing French. Only the adults dined outside, they tend to leave their broods to fend for themselves, annoying other guests with their LOUD conversation and plates piled high with all manner of food, only to be picked at,[ what do these people do at home] much to the discuss of the waiters. The children were just as bad. We went in the middle two weeks of August. I would warn all potential bookers to avoid August as this is the French / Belgium main holiday period. they have an arrogant attitude to other nationalities staying there and also to the hotel staff, that the hotel is their domain and you intrude at your peril. Heated exchanges were common in the dinning room and around the pool area, with staff and other guests, sometimes with their spouse.

Pool areas. Main concern being that some families put two sets of towels down, opposite sides of the pool so they can get the best of the sun all day. It was common to see towels out at 9.00 am. and parents you had seen on the other side of the pool during the morning using beds on the other side of the pool after lunch that had been idle all day. One main concern we logged with reception was the ugly 'sun cream' scum that collects on the edge of the children's pools, as some children were slipping and falling. This gives a unclean appearance and pool staff only give it a quick rub with some form of pool chemical that fails to work. A regular 'jet-wash' would do the trick, but this is a big hotel group who know best practice.

The two outdoor a la carte restaurants are very good. Booking was not essential but the staff don't like too many going to one and the other being underused. We had to insist on the restaurant we wanted to use. As most of the seating areas are outside, there are problems with limited tables if you all have to eat inside.

All in all we had a very good holiday, Rooms clean and house cleaning staff very good. I would happily go back to this hotel, but not in August. I do not use hotels very much but prefer to holiday in rented villas. We were here for a large family holiday that was an exception. But as Ibiza has a limited sun year and villa prices are scary, also with some locations taxi drivers will not venture because of the distance and quality of some roads.

Room Tip: Do not ask for rooms on the ground floor. No balcony just a patio, security could be a problem as p...
2 Thank PeterVistas
Leeds, UK
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We recently returned from a fortnight's holiday at this hotel in Ibiza. We were a large family group comprising five adults, five 17/18 year olds, and one 13 year old. I booked the holiday through a well known tour operator over a year in advance, and paid around £18,600 for the holiday, our last as an extended family before the teenagers head off to university etc. At the time the telephone representative asked me if I wanted to request all the rooms nearby given it is such a large hotel comprising five different blocks. I replied that given we no longer had small children this was not essential, but it would be nice if we could be in the same block....BIG MISTAKE!

On arrival at the hotel we were shocked and disappointed to find all five rooms allocated to us were in Block 1, first floor, which has an extremely poor outlook for this standard of hotel. The balconies adjoin and overlook the large flat roof over the Reception, Bar and Restaurant areas. The roof is dirty, and is covered in several air conditioning pipes and outlet grills. The edge of the roof was bordered by a wall which obscured any distant view which may have remained. Our own particular balcony adjoined a high wall at a 90 degree angle which housed an air-conditioning grill and threw heat directly onto our balcony.....I genuinely believe this is the room with the very worst outlook at this hotel, particularly insulting to me as I had paid for this holiday! From these rooms you could have believed you were staying at an inland industrial location, and certainly they were nothing like any of the Internet or brochure photographs. When we complained to Reception Staff we were told it was our own fault for requesting rooms together.

Despite repeated discussions with Reception Staff and our Holiday Representative over many days and involving several broken promises, it became clear to us that the Reception Staff were either unwilling or unable to relocate our five rooms from this small substandard block of some forty rooms to any of the other four large superior blocks comprising around a hundred rooms each! After six days of perseverance our own room was eventually changed to an acceptable room with a pleasant quiet outlook (but not before spending a few nights in a room with defective window seals resulting in loud plane noise at all hours!). At this point we decided to put up with the remaining four rooms in Block 1 and try to enjoy the remaining eight days of our holiday.

I completed a Feedback Request form at Reception which supposedly went straight to the Hotel's senior management (the Director). I made three suggestions to avoid the Hotel from disappointing its clients by placing them in Block1 first floor. (1) Landscape the roof with flower tubs etc and keep it clean. (2) Charge supplements and award discounts for different room locations. (3) Change the current policies of deferring problems rather than dealing with them.....it is soul destroying to be asked repeatedly by Reception Staff to come back at a later time or day, and prevents guests from going out and enjoying their holiday.

I received no acknowledgement for my Feedback Form, despite ticking the box to request feedback. On my return home I completed a Fiesta Hotels Online Questionnaire and to date have received no feedback from that. Whilst on holiday our Resort Holiday Representative completed a long complaint form on our behalf, but to date I have received no feedback from them. I have followed it up with an e-mail complaint, but have been told they could take 28 days to respond. Sadly all I want now is compensation for our ruined holiday!

On a more positive note we enjoyed the following aspects of this hotel:
The food choice and quality was excellent in all the dining venues, and we used them all regularly.
The Bar, Restaurant and Housekeeping staff were all lovely and provided a high standard of service.
The all inclusive bar service and drink availability was excellent at both the Pool Bar and Main Bar.
The facilities were all excellent and plentiful.
The grounds and gardens were nicely kept.
The Entertainments team were enthusiastic and hard-working.
The hotel location was good for a group comprising both teenagers and older adults, ie close enough to the action if you want it, but far enough away not to be disturbed by it if you don't!

Room Tip: If you wish to enjoy time on your balcony avoid Block 1, particularly first floor, which has a very...
2 Thank Leeds_UKTara
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having taken the time to communicate me your experience with us.

In August the hotel was fully booked and we did not have availability to change many rooms. The reception team do their best trying to satisfy all the requires but it always depends on the availability of the rooms.

In relation with the request form you completed, I am astonished to hear you did not receive our answer. It is not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided and for this reason I have searched your letter being not able to find it. Please accept our more sincere apoligies. We always answer all the requires trying to understand all the suggestions of our customers.
Once again, accept our excuses that your stay was not completely satisfying. We would like to assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa d'en Bossa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,038 reviews
Santos Ibiza Coast Suites
Santos Ibiza Coast Suites
#12 of 33 in Playa d'en Bossa

Been to Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!