“Really nice hotel”

Hotel Garbi Ibiza & Spa
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Playa d'en Bossa
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Just got back from a weeks stay in Ibiza, chose this hotel from previous reviews and I would say most of it is spot on. We stayed in the suite which had a beautiful view of the ocean,"definitely worth the extra cost", as the interior looks very modern and clean. We also stayed in the standard room for 3 nights due to flights being canceled from hurricane irene in the states, " which was sufficient but not as nice as the suite, balcony views were less than stellar, curtain drawn showers, smaller tv, weaker blow dryer, brown interior (not white like the suite). Personally this suites me fine but if you want to impress your partner then step up to the suite or superior rooms. The staff were very friendly, made our dinner reservations and called taxi's when we needed it. Nice bar and pool area, you could also stroll right to the beach and rent a bed and sun cover for 7 euros each. We had breakfast one morning and both thought the food wasn't that good, no biggie as we party too late to get up for breakfast anyway. So if you're planning a trip to ibiza consider this one, its smack in the middle of everything, and close to the airport," Definitely staying here again for my next trip back to Ibiza."

Room Tip: get the suite
1  Thank tantroe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed September 2, 2011

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Garbi and were totally impressed with our time there.
The hotel is top quality and exactly what you would expect from a 4* hotel anywhere in the UK (normally you hear that 4* standard in Spain is not the same as it would be in the UK but this is not what we have experienced here).

We booked late and stayed in a standard room with street view. On arrival in the room there was a problem with the door: this was fixed immediately, we called reception and they sent a maintenance guy to fix this straight away which he did, and apologised profusely for the inconvenience.

We were really happy with our room - good sized, reasonably comfy beds and pillows, adequate sized and clean bathroom and a nice large balcony. Despite having a "street view" our room had a side on view to the sea and was very pleasant all round, (we had been concerned at not having a pool view since there were none available when we booked but needn't have been - the room was really lovely).

The hotel was great all round - the pool area is luxurious and we never had any problems getting a sun-bed contrary to what some of the previous reviews have said. The beach area is also very pleasant as is the beach restaurant which is great to catch a drink in after a hard day lounging in the sun. The only thing I would say here is that the service at the beach restaurant isn't quite as great as it could be on the outside terrace area overlooking the beach...this was the only element of service that I saw within the Garbi that let it down...

Reception staff = excellent, all are really friendly and cannot do enough to help you. The same is to say for the hotel bar (inside) where the service was always provided with a smile.
Breakfast was busy, (the hotel was fully booked when we were there but the ONLY time we ever noticed this fact really was at breakfast - we assume a large number of guests spent a significant amount of time on daytrips etc since nowhere else in the hotel was ever busy). However, there was a varied choice available (fruit/cereal/pastries/cold meats/hot selection etc) and the staff were totally on top of it all at all times - there was never a dirty table to be seen and always places available.

The maid service was also impressive - having come to Ibiza for a couples holiday but also to experience some of the clubs, we did have the odd lie in (!). However, it seems that housekeeping in the hotel work all day everyday and the days where we had been clubbing the night before and woke up much later on, there could be no sign of the cleaners anywhere but the room would always be spotless when we returned later on in the day.

One final thing to mention is the spa: it is to die for and was also empty on the 2 occasions we visited. You must make sure you pay them a visit if you go - its open until 20h so is a nice place to go at around 19h.

Overall we loved the Garbi, its a great all round hotel with a good varied mix of guess staying...we will return.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

Really loved this hotel from the minute we checked in. The staff were always friendly, accommodating and very helpful. The hotel itself was spotless, especially the pool area and gardens. The room was clean, spacious and had a good air con system which was not noisy. The room had a lovely balcony which overlooked the gardens.
The breakfast was a great selection and with a friendly host. It is in an excellent location in that it is close to everything - restaurants, bars, clubs, beach, shops but doesn't suffer from the noise of all the attractions. The hotel itself is quiet and restful. The restaurant on the beach is a tad expensive but the food is delicious for lunch time snacks. Particularly the gazpacho soup which was to die for ! I didn't venture to explore the hotels Spa facilities. There is also a nice mix of nationalities who stay here and age groups. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I cannot recommend this hotel enough, From the smart decor, superb cleanliness, excellent service, friendly, helpful staff and perfect location.We were surrounded by everything we needed.The hotel offers so much in terms of amenties and extra facilites. I particularly enjoyed the swimmingpool and spa to relax in and my eldest sons enjoyed the evening cocktail bar by the sea, right on the beach. The location was perfect and the rooms spotlessly clean as I like it, unlike someother Spanish hotels we have stayed in before. The beach in front is alos very nice. I would definatly recommend this place to my family and friends who are planning a trip to Ibiza.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This was our first time in Ibiza, for my girlfriend and I. We wanted to get a hotel where we could relax but somewhere that was close enough to some of the clubs.
Most of all I didn't want to end up at one of the disastrous places we'd heard about.
So we opted for the Garbi, even though it was a little pricey for somewhere where we'd just sleep and sit by the pool.

Corrections from other reviews
Some reviews have said the staff were rude, not the case from what I saw. The wifi is fine if you're worried about it free to use and worked by the pool and from our room. Breakfast is good but the other food seemed overpriced and not particulary great.

The good bits:
The hotel is really clean. The pool is a good size and deep. The communal parts of the hotel are modern and there are lots of well decored places to relax. Breakfast is good and should be taken advantage of if you can get up (or not go to bed) before 10am.
Most of all the location was perfect. Right on the beach, 5 minutes walk to bora bora and the jet apartments
is 3 minutes, both are hard to stay away from!

The bad bits
The staff at the bar seem very busy in the afternoon and it can take around 15 minutes to get a drink which is more complicated than a lager. The hotel is probably a top end hotel for the area but in comparison to other hotels ive stayed in it seems overpriced, but that is Ibiza on the whole (€14 for a vodka & coke in the clubs)

Conclusion
I'd come back here certainly. I'd try and get a better price maybe but other than that the hotel was pretty much spot on for what we were looking for.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was our second time holidaying at Garbi and unfortunately it has to be the last with no plans to neither return back nor recommend it to our friends or family.

In comparison to the year 2009 when we stayed at Garbi for 14 nights there was no improvement in any areas and unfortunately we didn’t enjoy the hotel as much as in July 2009.
Garbi hotel is beautiful, it’s in a very good location and has fantastic sea views but its food, service and strange customer mix is not matching it's four star category.

On arrival to our room there was a flickering neon light in the bathroom which was really annoying and guests should not expect it to happen in **** hotel (especially when checking-in in the late afternoon at 5pm). To add to our disappointment I was looking for a phone number to call Reception to report it but couldn’t find any reference related to use of the phone, internet or TV. When I questioned this on the Reception desk I was told by a young Receptionist that they are awaiting new brochures to be printed. That’s a very poor answer in the highs’ of the season in the middle of August. When I questioned it via email to the manager the manager replied that as I stayed there two years ago I should know how to use the phone and TV.

The fact that there weren’t any envelopes, pens or papers I didn’t even mention to Reception desk as I thought that if you can’t get the simple standard things right then I shouldn’t expect anything of 4 star standard as in other European hotels.
There were no amenities such as shower cap, nail file, cotton swabs, sewing kit, shoe polish utensils, body lotion, tooth brush, tooth paste etc. The airline I flew with to Ibiza has lost my suitcase for seven days and therefore things like this would be appreciated (and expected in a first class hotel).
The bed sheets weren’t changed daily, there were only two pillows in the room but the overall room cleanliness was good. The only regard I had was to the fact that the staff never cleaned around the sink and the bath. I had to clean it daily myself which is ridiculous considering that as a guest I am paying 280 EUR per night.

The food in the Restaurant was very disappointing. We found that in seven days there was a very repetitive menu predominantly catering for more 'common' travelers eating burgers, fried fish, chips, sausages and breaded chicken and sausages. Compared to two years ago when we loved the food at Garbi the food quality, variety and standard went massively down and we would personally never recommend anyone paying for the dinners at Garbi Restaurant.
The service in the Restaurant was incredibly slow, we had to always stand up and waive at the waitress to be attended and when she arrived to our table with drinks we had to pay immediately. On the first night I ordered a bottle of red wine, when the waitress opened the bottle there was a piece of cork in my glass and obviously I declined to taste the wine. I expected her to open a new bottle of wine but she only took a new glass and poured rest of the bottle to the new glass. This would not happen even in a two star establishment.

On another note we have to praise the Restaurant manager for amazing customer service and the fact he remembered us from two years ago. He was very attentive and polite and tried to manage the rest of the staff who seemed to be quite uncoordinated and inexperienced.

On our last day we felt very embarrassed and humiliated by a member of the Reception team. We booked to stay at Hotel Garbi in Ibiza because we are frequent travelers, like comfort and welcoming atmosphere. Hotel Garbi as a superior establishment delivered on all our expectations in 2009 but totally failed this year.
My partner ate breakfast at the hotel and felt very sick in the afternoon. We though it could have been caused by the food served in the Restaurant as we have not been eating anything anywehere apart from the Restaurant on that day (or previous day) and therefore we went to report it to the Reception desk. We asked whether they had any spare room available to lay down because he didn’t feel well and we were due to fly back to London. He was refused the request by simply shouting ‘No’ and when we questioned this the Receptionist replied that he likes to give short answers to his guests. I personally believe that the level of customer service in a four star hotel should be more than just ‘short answers because the staff likes it’! The comfort and convenience of the guests should be hotel staff’s prime concern.
My partner then threw up seven times and suffered from severe diarrhea.
He walked up to the Reception desk and asked whether anyone else reported any problem because we wanted to establish the core reason why he had stomach pain and trace back the food. Receptionist has dismissed our claim and told my partner that he ‘Should not be drinking alcohol the night before’ whilst pointing his finger at him and aggressively defending the hotel’s kitchen. At this point there were several other guests at the Reception and three more staff listening to this conversation. It was embarrassing, humiliating and we felt disgusted with the way we were spoken to!
We received no apology or empathy and all the Receptionist was concerned about was that he needed to defend Hotel Restaurant.. He couldn’t express himself with his poor English and instead of listening and trying to understand the problem he went on patronizing and humiliating us.
When I complained about this to the hotel manager he replied to me that I should not be accusing hotel of serving 'out of date' food. He replied with a very arrogant message saying that no one else felt sick and other six hundred guests ate breakfast and didn't have any problems. That is completely understandable and the cause of the illnes could have been virus or something else and not the food but to get completely harrassed for politely questioning something in a four star hotel is unacceptable. Hotel manager did not express any sign of empathy and replied to us in a very rude manner.

Please do yourself a favour and dont spend your money in GARBI. There are other hotels where they will treat you like a guest and not like an intruder.
If you expect four star quality service go somewhere else. Don't get fooled by it's design look. That doesn't mean anything if service fails to deliver on expectations.
We will never return back to this hotel.

2  Thank TomasSWERIGE
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Good hotel by the beach,which has its own spa. Superb service and excellent staff. The food buffet verity & quality is very good especially the salads & fresh fruits.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Barcelo Portinatx - Adults only
Aguas de Ibiza
Aguas de Ibiza
#1 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio

Been to Hotel Garbi Ibiza & Spa? Share your experiences!