“I don't understand everybody else's negativity about this hotel”

Ushuaia Ibiza Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Playa d'en Bossa
london uk
“I don't understand everybody else's negativity about this hotel”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at the Ushuaia from 31st August to 5th September and when I read the other reviews I am confused... I think this hotel is great and was excellent value for money. I think when reviewers say they were ripped off they need to quantify this.. I was not ripped off, I paid €5 for red wine, and €4 for a beer.. typical hotel prices in my opinion.. Ibiza is an expensive island.. have these guests traveled around the island much or are they not comparing apples with apples
- The rooms are cool, and the bed was comfortable.. Air conditioning worked.
Breakfast was excellent with a great choice, proper OJ and fresh pastries, loads of fruit, bacon eggs etc and all buffet style so eat as much as you want.
- i found the staff to be friendly - saying hello and smiling
- Room service knocked on our door at 9pm one night because we had accidentally left our "Do not disturb" light on.. within 15 minutes of returning to our room they were there to offer to clean our room and change the towels.
- Free Wi-Fi
- There are cheaper restaurants and bars around the corner so if you think the hotel is expensive then no one is forcing you to drink here. There were loads of sunbeds, In fact the second "quite" pool" was virtually empty every day.. often we were the only ones by the pool with about 20 sunbeds to choose from !
The parties were good, and finish at midnight as per local laws and as per what was advertised
The hotel is opposite Space so it has a great location
The age range is from 25 to 50 (a few older) and it all felt very relaxed.
The only criticism would be that this is not a "party hotel".. it's a hotel that has parties... But the concept is great, I will definitely come back.. I just wish i could speak to the other guests to understand what their experience was really like.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnny37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I feel this title is perhaps a little misleading, as it may suggest some semblance of intelligent life. So let me put it more clearly, anyone who charges exorbitant fees to their patrons only to have their staff directly insult them, physically intimidate them and generally leave them feeling (as my girlfriend put it after receiving their famous service) "like something the cat s***'s out", are quite clearly sub-human. Repulsive.

It comes as absolutely no surprise to me that the primate who insulted and intimidated my girlfriend when she asked for her legally entitled receipt, is the same gorilla who, later that day, went on to brutally beat a patron to his completely undeserving death, only to follow it up with a few high-fives and some hearty laughter. (Please see eye witness TripAdvisor review - “HOTEL SECURITY PUT YOUNG MAN IN HOSPITAL NEVER GO HERE”)

What DOES come as a surprise, is that such a gorilla was allowed to work there. It seems blatantly clear to me, that complaints of irrationally aggressive and abusive security were rife throughout the many reviews of the Ushuaia Ibiza Beach Hotel. So how is it that this security team were still empowered to mercilessly beat their patrons which ultimately killed someone?? Gorillas that kill, possibly can't help themselves. I can't help but feel that the Hotel management are accountable.

Is this who you want to be staying with in Ibiza?? It's a gorgeous island, please don't do yourself the disfavour of staying here and having it blight your holiday. My time at Ushuaia was the worst of my trip, at least I was lucky enough to live to tell about it.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Richard V
Reviewed September 5, 2011

This was my 2nd time staying in the hotel and both stays were bad, this last one ... errr, i'd say horrible.
Starting with the included in the suite "free transfer" from the airport. They "forgot" to pick us up, cheers for 30 que for a taxi. So we finally make it to the hotel ... and the que to check in at 12:30 in the morning is horrific ... at least we had the entertainment of other furious guests to laugh at .. 1 dude threw his bags down and had a massive strop. So funny. We finally get in our room, which is nice to their credit. Problem was, there was NO A/C and it was steaming hot in there ... we called them 4 times a day ... they fixed it on our last day there with 1 hour remaining in the hotel room ... at 1k/night ... I think i should get air con. Jokers

What next ... surely there can't be more ... but oh yes! So down by the pool, there are so few sunbeds that if you get there anytime after 11am, can't blame it on the German's reserving the beds with a wee towel this time ... there are just not enough beds. Sooo, we sit on the side of the pool ... chatting ... having a couple drinks ... and what floats past .. errrr, a plastic wrap of some drugs ... probably from the pool party the previous night ... I mean, come on! Clean the pool. Good thing they don't allow kids in the hotel. Result there.

Oh yeah, the cleaning service ... we did have a day ... where we lit the cleaning sign up to please clean ... and we they just didn't bother to clean the room ... they had from 10am .. but forgot ... seriously tho.

The parties at the hotel were really good, music stopped at midnight. Next time, i think i'll pay the 50 or 100 euros for the entry to the party and forget staying in the cr*p hotel. Never again will I stay there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank GeezerBird
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed right at the start of the hotel opening and expected some teething problems. Great setting, fabulous rooms, music system awesome, excellent breakfasts - all good until the big events happen and security takes control. Security guys are aggressive and who ever is heading up this bunch of muscle heads needs to be sacked and get some proper control and procedures in place. Keeping control and blatantly kicking peoples faces in is out of order and recently some young waiter has sadly died due to a security guard. Sort Security out and get the service right and this could be the coolest hotel on the planet! Overly cool Ego's and actually managing procedures needs to be addressed.

Room Tip: Supermarket 100m on right out of hotel will save you ££££'s
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Seamaster22
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This hotel has everything you need to have the best experience in Ibiza.

I dont really know where to begin. I am a travel agent in the UK and also read the previous reviews regarding staff and securtiy but I can confidently say they have addressed any previous issues. I believe they now have a new security team at the hotel. You are paying a lot of money for this property, its exclusive, so why would you want any old riff raff walking through!

I stayed in a superior room. The main difference is the size of the balcony and this did make a difference. Our room was behind the stage which at first was a bit of a let down but in reality we had the best views..... the stage is see through behind so you could see everything. The mood lighting in the rooms = excellent. The bathroom with rain shower and cheeky glass through to the bedroom, again was all such a grand design. Even the lights on the mirror were a very nice touch...
I did read that they were supposed to have docking stations in the room and when we got there, there were non. We asked reception who informed us it was only for the suites but they found us one. Im sure this was advertised on their website. For the price of the rooms, there is no need for any of the room categories NOT to have one.

The parties - YES!!!!! all I can say is I do not think I have stayed in a hotel that offers what they do... You are in Ibiza to party and they certainly give the clubs a run for their money. I agree with one of the earlier comments regarding the VIP areas.. If you are staying in the hotel you should get more status when you are there. The rooms are not cheap and the accessible areas should be completly open to guests staying at the hotel. I have heard they are changing the layout of the pool area to make for more dance space.
Their Super beach party is by far one of the best nigts I had. This was after going to Space (right opposite), Zoo project, swedish @ pacha and hedkandi.... The stage, sound system, BIG named DJ's all make this a first choice option. The hotel outside has screens showing the events that go on inside and people were watching in disbelief....

The breakfast was ok, not the best choice. No where seems to know how to make scrambled eggs, so I will not hold it against them.
I did not eat in their restaurant but I spoke to a couple who had eaten in the Japanese and their meal came to approx 100 euros for 2 inc bottle of wine, so not too bad.
Drinks are not cheap, but no where in Ibiza is. The hotels and clubs are all overpriced. Go to the off licence first, have a few drinks before you head out in your room.

The Cabanas and luxury sunbeds give the pool area some real charm. The pool area is quite during the day and when events are on (not every night) it is the best place to be.. Swedish house mafia are residence on a Wednesday and their Super beach party on a Tuesday is second to none!!

I will 100% be going back to this hotel. I have travelled and stayed in many top hotels. If you are looking to party, stay in playa D'en Bossa and enjoy some exclusive treatment, then stay here!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Stephanie H
London
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Just spent a week at Ushuaia and enjoyed everything about the hotel. Previously In Ibiza we have stayed at Es Vive, Ocean Drive and Ibiza Gran (all of which I would recommend too.

The day before we arrived at Ushuaia I decided to read the reviews on here - which rather scared me I have to say. So in response to some of the issues:

Yes the parties are loud (isn't this why you go to ibiza?),
Planes fly over-head (well you are close to the airport but they didn't keep me awake).
Drinks and food (the breakfasts are very good indeed) are expensive (it's a 5* hotel and the cost is what you would expect - but at least this keeps the riff-raff out :)).
Security is tight (well this keeps out the people who haven't paid to stay / party).

The quality of the parties, the design of the hotel, the excellent breakfasts are all worth the price you pay. We are going back in September - can't wait !!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Location is superb - Space ngihtclub is opposite, Ushuaia pool club is right next door, beach is only footsteps away and shops/malls are about 5 minute walk! Included was buffet breakfast and dinner which was FANTASTIC and filling. We waited about 1 hour for our room to be ready - not happy about that. The rooms however were not modern but who says who are going to stay in your room anyway? Hotel needs an upgrade and lifts tool forever. Get the sea view room! Other than that, would reccomend.

Room Tip: Sea view room!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 56 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
ME Ibiza
ME Ibiza
#5 of 56 in Santa Eulalia del Rio

Been to Ushuaia Ibiza Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!