1,709 results
All reviews infinity pool thomas cook man made lagoon lagoon area half board cocktail bar lovely hotel piano player sea view mini golf course fish relaxing holiday evening entertainment sandy beach crazy golf both breakfast and dinner min walk
Selected filters
Reviewed February 15, 2018

Good location - great view on the ocean with rocks and 5 minute walk from a beautiful sandy beach. Although the hotel is big, all the area is pleasant with a nice garden.We enjoyed both breakfasts and dinners - great variety of both local and international meals. Staff was friendly and always helpful. Overall, this hotel is a fantastic place for holidays.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank martina_mf
r2pajarabeach, comercial at R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2018

Thank you for choosing R2 Hotels and your comment.We are glad to know that you had a nice stay.Hope see you soon.R2 Hotels

Reviewed February 10, 2018

Nice location, 5 minute walk to the center/beach. Fantastic view from the pool down to the ocean. Nice and clean hotel, you can find everything you need for a relaxing vacation. Although it looks huge, it's like a small village where it's nice to stay.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Leo D
r2pajarabeach, comercial at R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2018

Thank you for choosing R2 Hotels and your comment.We are glad to know that you had a nice stay,hope see you soon.R2 Hotels

Reviewed February 8, 2018

This is a fantastic hotel - very clean and superb grounds and pools. A five minute walk to beautiful sandy beach where you can walk for a few miles. Not a great deal in the town and a bit grubby, although there is a market a few days in the week.
Meal times - breakfast and dinner are very busy and seating/drinks etc...could be much better.. If you engage with the staff they will make an effort, although I must agree with previous reviews. Drinks are way too expensive which provided some sobriety to our holiday for a change!

Room tip: North side pool view was fantastic for sun on balcony in afternoon
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert N

Thank you for choosing R2 Hotels and your comment.We have noted everything which help us to improve our service and quality.We are glad to know that you had a nice stay and hope see you soon.R2 Hotels

Reviewed February 6, 2018

We visited during the island during first week of February for the 4th winter holiday in recent years. Previously we enjoyed cloudless sky’s and temperatures in the mid 20’s C but this year we encountered cloudy sky’s , cool temperatures and strong winds and indeed some heavy rain and maybe this influenced my commentary.
However we spent the week in shorts and tee shirts with the occasional light sweater and were quite comfortably but bizarrely the beaches were populated by hundreds of our continental cousins garbed in full hiking gear including hats, scarves and gloves. Suffice it to say the hotel staff did admit that it had been the coldest spell for *decades* but it was still significantly warmer than the UK.

The hotel ir staggeringly pretty with a fantastic Italianate facade, wonderful grounds and great facilities. The gardens and pool areas are beautifully maintained but there are lots of steps and gradients thus might not be ideal for people with mobility issues
The public rooms in the hotel are on an epic scale , almost cathedral like and nice places to be

However there were a few drawbacks, the rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean but sadly we found them to be rather noisy. We may have been unlucky with neighbours but there was a lot of residual noise from televisions, loud voices and most annoyingly furtinure being moved on tile floors constantly. I used ear plugs every night but was still kept awake till the early hours on several occasions
Sound insulation sadly lacking in floors, ceilings and walls. Such a pity in a stunning hotel

The resturant was good with ample choice and decent quality, it was a bit hectic at times and on occasion the hot food was not that hot!
In truth we have had better elsewhere

In summary stunning hotel but a bit noisy

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank KFR14
r2pajarabeach, comercial at R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2018

Thank you for choosing R2 Hotels and for your comment.It´s always very important for us the opinion of our clients,we have noted everything which help us to improve our service and quality.We are glad to know that you had anice stay and hope see you again.R2 Hotels

Reviewed February 5, 2018

On arrival (30th Jan) because we came by taxi ordered by Thomas Cook no one to help us. Booking is odd as you are made to sign a disclaimer saying once you have left hotel you can't complain but seeing other reviews wouldn't like the confrontation. Booking in staff very nice and always helpful to our requests for extra blankets, pillows etc. We arrived to a lovely room but balcony a solid wall so paying extra for a sea view that hotel insist it is is I'm sure against trade descriptions act as sitting down you see a solid wall. We hadn't been in room more than half an hour when fellow guests arrived and had a screaming baby and they were arguing. THE WALLS ARE PAPER THIN, we insisted we changed rooms and luckily a full sea view with balaustrades.
We celebrated our 35th Wedding anniversary and hubby's birthday and had champagne in room and at mealtime which was lovely of them to do as wasn't expecting anything.
The hotel
The grounds are gorgeous and pool areas nice but a bit cramped and yes towels left on beds even though not allowed. Getting to the lower sandy pool was too much for us I have a scooter and hubby heart problems, we didn't think it would be such a hike. They really could do with a buggy to help infirm guests down.
Our trip was 30th Jan to 6th Feb (last day here) and weather was chilly well cold but i have never in the canaries seen peopl with coats and blankets on in reception and bars, IT WAS FREEZING in fact we never went to bars etc in evening we went back to room and got in bed to keep warm! It felt like they had aircon on as vents were freezing to touch. We asked about a fire the look back was a smirk! We have 3 blankets and I'm wearing onsie to sleep in. The weather cannot be helped but hotel internally is very cold as leave doors open also in restaurant which creates a wind tunnel.
The restaurant
Goodness if you are with Thomas Cook plus which includes drinks you are served once which as many say takes time as MOST staff are running around and you get missed. They never come back and ask if you want more (which we gave up on and rep knows) also many meals we ate with our starter and main meal plates on table eating dessert. The management seem to have got a underlying agenda that paying customers get looked after with drinks. Monica is lovely always smiling some staff look as if you are a bother to them asking for a drink or cutlery. Alaine Portello chef helped me with getting grated cheese for omelette for breakfast as these are cooked on flat top in one go cut into 3 portions. They only have cubed cheese with ham in as only choice of filling, we were told to get a slice of cheese which we did but on cooking was like eating BLUTACK! It's the first hotel EVER visited where only one filling offered and although not vegetarian don't eat a lot of meat or processed meat.
The restaurant should have like many other hotels had sanitizer on entrance as many peoples hygene is questionable but at least helps. Many people discarding napkins and cutting bread holding bread, other hotels I've stayed in a staff member always around.
As many have said it's a scramble to get food which being not good on feet was taking my life into my own hands as too little staff to organize. The chefs/cooks needed more help as running backwards and forwards to replenish food whilst cooking and cleaning.
MY MAJOR PROBLEM which I made rep aware of CROSS CONTAMINATION I watched a cook SHOVELLING with with gloved hands raw meat into bowl for chef, wasn't a pretty sight, he then shovelled fish for other cooking station (without washing hands) he then dipped his HAND into a spitting tap, then dabbed his hand with cloth then proceeded to put fresh uncooked pizza into oven then cut up cooked pizza. Didn't change gloves and the hand washing wasn't getting any CROSS CONTAMINATION off. I did inform rep
Grounds
We didn't want to lie by pool as individuals had their own music playing on small speakers but only other seating by theatre. Hard seating no cushions and used by SMOKERS. There are some park benches that are great to sit a small while but nowhere else to sunbathe. A few more comfy non smoking sitting and sunbed areas are required.
Rooms
Our 2nd one great view and room nice, bath wasn't good for me and slipped twice and then actually showered in spa. I asked where accessible rooms are and they all are without balconies WHY? The beds are hard but that didn't bother us but PILLOWS atrocious and we have 3 each also using cushion from chairs and cushion from my scooter. Bring a blow up one with you.
On arrival we had lovely mug as present room had tea,coffee kettle etc I have since found not all guests have drink making facilities which is really odd. Has ironing board and iron in room and safe.
Room cleaning fine even had an elephant of towels one day, Our wifi kept going on and off which we then found stronger on patio even though modem in room. Our rep Emily came to our room to help sort out and suggested our firewall. We unplugged the modem but we were still connected (it's free in lobby areas) it was 1 euro a day in room.
Shops
We saw the shop but didn't realise there were more shops around the corner where I bought a fab swimming costume. When I told assistant we weren't told about shops she said theye were struggling as hotel and reps not telling guests about them.
Spa
Had a drainage smell on our first trip but noy 2nd trip, and low and behold the 3 sunbeds in there were nabbed before people changed. One couple did use after 40 minutes but 3rd one wasn't used in the whole 1hr 10mins we were there as person are in pool went into saunas etc. My biggest surprise is that it closes 1pm til 4pm, I would of had treatments during aternoon but 4pm too late.
Reception staff really nice as spa staff
So to sum up
Would I return NO, not as it is. A lovely position and not in a noisy town but with a few tweaks could be a lovely place to visit.
Being kept awake by someone with a tickly cough in next room all night isn't good, hearing everyone's toilet trips and cleaners dragging furniture around. It is the noisiest hotel I've ever been in and I've travelled many continents.
Some staff offhand and if you are British seen as unimportant which shouldn't be.
Thomas Cook clients on full board plus avoided to us to give as little drinks as possible even though paid for. Again never ever in a hotel have we just given up getting a refill. We only had one glass of wine with meal as just couldn't get a second.
Food handling questionable as I write this am in bed with a bad tummy. Once meal over didn't buy one drink in hotel and after losing 7st 7lbs certainly didn't over eat or indulge in too much rich food. I didn't have anything from cooking area due to my previous comments. Stuck to basic veg and tuna already cooked so not a problem due to eating too much but it is what it is and I'm certainly not kicking up a fuss about it.
Thomas Cook Emily lovely but Thomas Cook need to iron out the guests on fb+ and the room allocation as SEA VIEW means sea view not if you stand up leaning over balcony sideways. Also I think hotel definitely gearing toards German guests as hotel has been taken over by German company.
The Royal Palm Sensimar managers are in restaurants and available to talk to and restaurant staff lovely and service with a smile. Comfy areas away from pools and smokers (no smoking in rooms) I suggest the hotel owners go along and stay a few days there to see where they could improve service and quality.
Very sad leaving this review as this could be a hidden gem in the canaries.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple