“Great Holiday 4 Star plus for me ”

SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews so I was a bit dubious about this hotel I have to say I'll be back the food was amazing plenty of choice the pools where great and the staff where happy and couldn't do enuf for you it's in a nice quite area with a great beach with a couple of beach bars and really great walks the shops plus other bars are a 5 min walk from the hotel with free wifi as the wifi is 7 Euros at the hotel and you can only use the wifi in the main lobby and only 1 device at a time the safe is 24.5 euros for the week and you can get a beach towel for a 10 euro deposit that you get back the local bus is 3 euro to Jandia and 22 euro for a taxi to Jandia there's a local market on Weds and Sunday and on a thurs in Jandia there a Safari place up the road for the kids the bus is free there is lots to do totally loved this hotel there are plenty of beds at the pools plus on the the beach I would like to say there are a lot of Germans 'French and about 20% of us GBs had a great time and we meet some really nice German and French friends and a really nice couple from Newcastle O the room was amazing and clean this hotel is modern hotel A Big TY to all the staff from me my Dad and Karen for an Amazing Holiday we will be back next year Happy new year Guys

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Billybeboop

Reviewed December 28, 2013

My partner and I booked a Christmas break at this hotel on the spur of the moment and when I read reviews on here later I really wondered if I'd done the right thing. Boy did I worry over nothing.

The hotel was brilliant, we had a room in what I would term the annex, the Nautllus Beach (probably a seperate hotel at one stage). The room had a side sea view, and we got to see the sun rising over the ocean every morning.

The house keeping staff were efficient and very friendly (although some spoke very little English, but in fairness I speak no Spanish, so why should that mark them down).

We were greated on arrival by Benjamin, and contary to other reviews, this gentleman was warm and friendly, and we were checked in very quickly.

The resort, and lets face it, most of the south of Fuertaventura, caters mainly for the German market, but to be honest It was great being in a resort where you dont see English bars, Sky Sports & full English breakfasts everywhere.

The food was great at every meal time (we were all inclusive), and there was more than enough choice every time , even for a faddy eater like me. Lot of fish (which you would expect from an island), pork & chicken, not a lot of beef though. Breakfast was great, and for the English amongst you, you can have a full English (less the black pudding), but I recommend the omelettes that are cooked to order.

The bar & waiting staff were brilliant & really friendly and even though I knew very little Spanish by the time I left, I never had a problem making myself understood, as most of the staff spoke English (some of them spoke 5 languages (I cant converse in more than one)).

The hotel was right on a beautiful sandy beach, you just have to watch yourself walking into the sea as there are a lot of rocks, but thats only to be expected on a volcanic island.

There are various entertainments throughout the day & evening, and it's up to you how involved you get, the animation team, are helpful in instructing you if you do get involved (I tried the Archery).

It's a quiet resort, so dont expect lots of shops, and certainly dont expect shopping centres like the Trafford Centre. You can always jump on the bus to Morro Jable (half an hour away), or visit the market on Sunday (I believe they also have one on Wednesday as well, but our Wednesday was Christmas Day).

Talking of Christmas day, they had a Gala Banquet, where we were greeted by all the management & staff, served cocktails by them and was then treated to an excellent menu, that included things like sushi, caviar, king prawn, and so much more.

I could go on some more, but my headline says it all for me, every holiday we now go on will be compared to our stay at the Costa Calma Beach Resort, and I fear all will be found wanting.

Room Tip: Side Sea view in the Nautilus Beach portion of the hotel, you get to see the sun rise every morning.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 4elephants
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Im going to give this poor a hotel a good review as it really does have alot of good points.
Just returned this weekend after a last minute deal we booked 5 days before we travelled. I then read reviews on here and thought oh no !!

Firstly the staff on arrival and all the staff working in the hotel are pleasant and friendly. We received a very good service from waiters, bar staff, maids and so on. If you give you will receive its a simple fact of life.

This is an 80% German resort but also french, polish, Italian and other nationalities there. The English are in the minority but so what!! Again treat others how you would want to be treated and you find that there are so many nice people in the world. Lets face it its not exactly a great situation to find yourself amongst a bunch of English holidaymakers if you are a foreigner!! We are not exactly renowned for our etiquette abroad are we? And fact - German people have higher expectations and like quality and i think the standard in food and cleanliness of the hotel meets that.

Food on our previous experience of all inclusive holidays has been ok - at the end of the day for a small amount of money you get non stop food and alcohol so you can't expect caviare but i have to say the food her was very good. There was two gala nights in our 1 week trip an italian and spanish night and the food was amazing. At all other times we found the food to be really good and felt that they tried to vary it as much as possible. I'm vegetarian so choice always limited for us veggies but my partner had some amazing meals. and in between they had snacks available mid morning and afternoon in beach bar. Drinks fab too - really good choice on drinks menu and fabulous cocktails :)

This is a quiet resort so you don't get much night life so entertainment mainly limited to hotel and again this isn't a lot. I guess if you have a family with you that's a disappointment. There was a few shows on and a disco every night and the entertainment team very good at getting people up and enjoying themselves, equally there is lots of chill out areas where you can just sit and chill with a nice drink. The staff conduct the entertainment in 5 languages so hands up to them to be able to do that.

The hotel is right on the beach and it has very good lounging facilities for both the beach and the pool. This is a volcanic island so the beach is sometimes rocky but the views are stunning.

The only thing that we found disappointing (and this is really trivial was there was only one English channel on the tv - sky news) just one English film channel would be good. The hotel is clean and adequate but wouldn't rate it as 4 star accommodation. Its just needs a bit of a brush up as a bit tired in places. Again any problems we had with our room were dealt with immediately so no complaints there. I know some people have mentioned cockroaches and other crawlies - well this is Spain and that's what you get here - that's like saying i took a trip to England and a wasp came into my room! You get crawlies in Spain and you just deal with it like you would at home.

So all in all we felt this was a really nice hotel and really enjoyed our last minute break for some winter sun before xmas.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andrea w
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here for a week in november , it looked lovely in the brocher and on first glances it looked really nice especially the pools are lovely . We checked in at 8 pm and went straight for tea . The food was awful it was cold , they had two full salad bars but the same on each one they had normal lettuce n cucumber but the rest was just stuff thrown together with mayonaise mixed in . This was to be repeated every dinner n tea with fish or pork mainly . They only had chicken once . They had fresh fruit but the apples were going brown n the bananas were green.we then went to the bar where nobody spoke english only german and spanish . The hotel catered for germans not english . On one occasion we were told of for taking cutlery of another table becos there wasnt enough out for us . The entertainment was rubbish they spoke very bad english and the only entertainment they had for my two yr old was 30 on a night dancing to songs that was it . The pools were to cold for her to go in , on the last day the big pool felt warmer . We also had to pay £5 euros each for a pool towel returnable at the end of the week. When it rained on the first day they got wet through. So we asked for a dry one and they charged us another euro each not returnable . So u haveto keep the same one all week . The rooms we were given faced a wall and another block of rooms so nothing got dryed all week cos your patio didnt get any sun . Our little girl was poorly while we were there but the young lad on reception was very helpfull and called the doctor for us . Apart from that we felt like we were outsiders and treated differently to the germans and spanish . I would not advise any english to book this hotel especially with kids , they did have a kids park but it was covered in pigeon poo. Germans will probably love it . I would never go back to this hotel . They cut your all inclusive band of aswell wen you check out .

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Keznand
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I would not rate this hotel as a four star... The pool and gardens are lovely, however that's about as far as it goes. From arriving the reception area was dull and not very welcoming although the check in girl was quite pleasant. The room was dated, the food was tasteless with very little flavour and also cold by the time you'd got it, the beach wasn't as portrayed in the brochure, it was rocky in places not sandy. Also it appeared they catered mainly for Germans with very little British. The resort hadn't got much to offer either just a few shops some of which were never open, and a tapas bar. I feel the brochure was misleading,as in the photographs were quite simply the best bits. Sorry to be so critical but I feel I needed to express my thoughts.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DianeY702
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have just returned from a week at this hotel. rooms are basic but were cleaned everyday.
the food was mostly nice but the restaurant is far too small to accomodate all the guests.
it can get chaotic when getting food from the buffet. it is true that some foods were recycled the next day.. but you do not have to eat them!! there was always fresh food on offer. deserts were amazing and champagne for breakfast went down a treat. here is no botled water on the AI package so water was lukewarm from a machine!! you can buy bottled water from machine at reception, but why would you if have paid to go AI.
the pools looked nice although cold. there was also plenty of sunloungers around.not sure what it will be like in summer.
staff was generally nice but had some patronising guy talking down at me at the beach restaurant when i could not figure out which tea bag was black tea as I wanted an afternoon cuppa on a cloudy cool afternoon. !! Entertainment was tacky and don't expect to sleep before 11pm if your room is close to main public areas.
there is not much to do and see around the hotel. we like walking after dinner and hee was not of that. Bus stop to Jandia just down the road. but beware it is always busy and only runs every hour after 5pm. dozens of people got left behind as the bus was full after waiting for a long time.
not sure how mucha a taxi ride will cost.
overall decent holiday and will go back if the price is right!!

Room Tip: select rooms at back of hotel.. lack of sea view but quiet.. no bar noise till 11pm.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I go sometimes twice a year we love the relaxed atmosphere and all the space the staff are great loads of sun beds lovely beach we love it we go back in march feel like family no complaints

• Stayed: September 2013
#20 of 27 in Costa Calma
SBH Monica Beach
SBH Monica Beach
#6 of 27 in Costa Calma

Been to SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort? Share your experiences!