“One of the best hotels I have stayed in on the Canaries!”

SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“One of the best hotels I have stayed in on the Canaries!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel is well situated on the beach, clean, comfortable, moderately imposing interior, excellent staff, who were good humoured, attentive, conversant . The food was sumptious, well laid out, ample, with excellent choice. My room had a perfect sea, pool and palm tree view. The atmosphere was relaxed and suited me, as an individual traveller, whilst also accommodating couples and families.

My booking agent had made an error and there was a heart stopping moment when I found that there was no record of my booking! - However the staff dealt superbly with this - (particularly as I was there on my own).

If you long to remain 'poolside' - then I couldn't recommend this highly enough - for me - the only element lacking was the promenade - which can be found in Costa Calleta and the limited nearby shopping centres which are nothing like those to be found in Tenerife and Lanzarote - Otherwise FAB !!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank happyholidays444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a 7 night all-inclusive stay at this hotel. Booked only 3 weeks in advanced through Thomas Cook flying from Gatwick. As neither of us had travelled to Fuerteventura before and never gone all inclusive we were unsure what to expect.

We had a late check in at the hotel. Flight delayed approx. 45 minutes so we didn't arrive at the hotel until approx. 11.30pm. Most impressed that we were told at reception that a late supper had been laid on for all of the transfers so we took advantage of that having not eaten since lunchtime at Gatwick. Transfer from the airport was quick and efficient.

We were in room 1037 which is on the first floor (lowest available) which does have a sea view .... just !! To view this though you have to be on the terrace and peer out some. This room does not offer views of the pools but it's advantage is that it's in a much quieter part of the resort away from the main bar and entertainment area. If you want one of the higher rooms with views to both pools and the sea I guess these would be an extra charge? Only problem we had with our room was that we had a bit of an Ant problem in the bath. Every morning a fresh half a dozen or so had re-appeared but nothing that a blast with the shower didn't sort.

We were very impressed with the restaurant. We had breakfast and dinner every day and occasionally lunch depending on if we had stayed at the resort that day. I'm a bit of a fussy eater but you cannot possibly go hungry here!! If any food did run out during service it was always replaced PDQ. Shame this can't be said for the drinks barrels containing Sangria. This ran out twice during our stay and it sometimes took until the next service or day to replace. Plenty of tables available. As only 2 of us it was fairly easy to find an empty one. Best trick was to place drinks down first on a table with cutlery and then go off for your food.

Only thing I would say about the restaurant experience is being that a high % of the guests are German I did find that they are not fussed whatsoever about walking into yourself or stopping and suddenly turning around and then walking into you. Not in an aggressive manner but almost in an oblivious way they did not seem to care about this. I'm not anti-German but myself and my partner did find this a tad annoying. Maybe it would be better if the restaurant adopted some sort of pathways around the food tables as it was a bit of a free-for-all at peak times. Staff I found to be helpful and polite and seemed to enjoy being there. Always a bonus.

If you like to spend your day just lazing around the pools then this is the place to go. There are more than enough sunbeds with umbrellas as the 2 main pools are of an impressive size. Pool bar in the middle and the snack bar is on the private beach at the back of the resort. Water not the warmest but its not freezing as I have previously read. The bottom pool is 1.55m in its deepest part with the top pool 1.35m deep. There is also a small pool just 50cm deep for toddlers and a separate pool 1m deep just around the corner. Please note the pool bar does not open until mid-day but the snack bar is open earlier than this.

This resort has its own private beach with sunbeds included. The beach here is not the biggest but it is within seconds of the all-inclusive snack bar which serves drinks. Sea water fairly warm and you can walk out a long way here. The current was very safe for kids but do be advised there are rocks in the sea here until you get past knee depth, then its all sand.

Evening's entertainment was a bit cheesy at times but this didn't matter to us as drinks are free!!

One thing to bear in mind is that this island is very windy which does keep the temperature down some. Although it was sunny every day the wind kept the temperature in the late 20's only.

I would certainly return to this resort perhaps next time with more family or friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robbie1207908
cardiff
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I have just arrived home after a superb 2 week holiday, staying at the Costa Calma Beach Resort..
I would recommend this hotel to anyone...The staff are super friendly and nothing too much trouble...food amazing, location and beach lovely.
The hotel itself is very clean and tidy.We will definitely be returning next year...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wcricket123
Durham City, England
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel from 11th - 18th May 2013 on an AI basis and overall we would rate the hotel as good but not perfect.
Our room was spacious and clean. It had a TV and a little fridge and this enable you to keep a bottle of water in the room cold. The view from the lovely balcony of the room ordinarily would have been very good but for this week they were working on one of the swimming pools directly outside our room and this had been drained. This was our view - workman working in the dry pool - and this included some days of drilling!!.
You were provided with towels for the sun lounger - against a 10 euro returnable deposit - and this meant that you need not bring a beach towel with you saving on the weight in your luggage. Your towel could be refreshed at the cost of 1 euro.
The food was very good indeed both in its choice; available fresh cooking stations and quality. Drinks to accompany your meal were available on a self service basis in the restuarant. All our meals were excellent.
A huge strong point of this hotel were the staff - they were excellent. They were polite; professional; courteous and helpful, without exception.
The drinks on the All Inclusive were fine - with many varieities available and with no limitations - although it did seem that you had to have more than you normally would have had, to have the same effect, if you know what I mean!
The entertainment was perhaps its weak point and at best could be described as average. The hotel mainly caters for the German tourists - not a problem in itself - but with the games of bingo, the numbers in English were the last language to be mentioned of FOUR and at times forgotten. Most entertainment avoided the spoken word - discos; Dancers ( Riverdance) and musicians ( guitarists) - and were as I say average.
The hotel has a fairly quiet location on the south side of the island although you could walk to a little village nearby or take a 3 euro taxi. This was not a problem if you just want peace and quiet and happy to remain within the hotel grounds. It has an excellent beach location and pleasant walks along the long stretch of beach could be had ( including taking in the sight of the chipmunks!)
There were only a few children around the hotel and perhaps this was not surprising as they was not much provision for young children. In the main it catered for the adult guest.
All in all, given that the work on the pool would be only temporary and unfortunately coincided with our visit, I would recommend this hotel based upon the fact that the rooms and the food were excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank James L
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here in October 2011. It's a 45 minute transfer so be patient. We really loved the room, it overlooked the pool area. We were all inclusive and enjoyed the buffet style food. We enjoy this style as it offers plenty of variety.
Pools were very nice and the location was a great. We used the local buses to get around. They were clean and quick.
A great break, we would recommend this resort

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Signaller21
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by a friendly Spanish receptionist, who proceeded to give a a sheet of paper with my room number on, had to find my own way to room! The decor in the hotel was rather disappointing, tired looking, paint/wallpaper ripped in places..the corridors leading to the rooms looked more like prison, no pictures, dark, horrible. Arrived to my room which smelt horrible, not like it had been cleaned for certain. I was located on the 6th floor, above the main bar area, which when I went to bed that night, I could hear every noise. I went down to the reception and was confronted by a German receptionist 'Benjamin' I asked if it was possible to move rooms to a quieter part of the hotel. He replied that it would cost me an extra 30 Euros to do this. I replied and told him that I was prepared to pay this and he rudely waved to me and said enjoy your holiday! of which I then went to contact my holiday provider. The next morning I received a call from a Spanish receptionist who said I could move rooms 'no charge'..

The hotel is set in a very beautiful location, very quiet and peaceful, if you are looking for nightlife this is not for you. The hotel is 80% Germans, the tv's in the room are catered for the Germans, apart from one channel which was sky news. The entertainment was rubbish so ended up in my room most nights.

Food - Ok buffet style, plenty of salads, fish, chewy pork etc definitely not 4* standard I have had much better. Most of the waiting staff were rude.

Safety deposit box's 24 euros, beach towels 10 euros deposit (which you received back provided you kept your receipt).

The plus points for this hotel was definitely the beach, everything else..if you are expecting 4* it isn't, I have stopped in better 3*

Room Tip: Stay away from 6008 6th floor you can hear every noise!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Melanie R

Travelers are raving about these Costa Calma hotels

Atherstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stunning place, arrived at 10pm to a plated supper. Easy check in/out 1st morning got up to stunning sunshine, view from reception where you walk to restaurant/ pools/beach was breathtaking. Wonderful breakfast selection fruit & yogurt/full cooked breakfast/continental. Prosecco, selection of hot drinks/fresh fruit juices on tap. Lunch varied daily & never disappointed, wide range of tastes catered for & a self service bar of soft drinks,wine & red wine & sangria. Light lunch avilable in pool side bar as is cake and ice cream @ 4pm
Dinner varied each night with themed nights, italian, spanish etc. Grilled meat & fish always available. Large selection of breads avaiable for each meal. massive pudding selection.
All drinks served in poolside bar from 10am-6pm then in hotel bar 6-11pm
Entertainment/kids clubs/exercise etc on sunday-friday throughout the day. Each night a different theme in the main bar - bingo/disco/live music etc & the action team were spot on. Superb service. Superb holiday will go again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura
SBH Monica Beach
SBH Monica Beach
#6 of 27 in Costa Calma

Been to SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort? Share your experiences!