“Below Standard”

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Costa Calma
London, United Kingdom
“Below Standard”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Just returned from a one week all inclusive stay here, i couldn't wait to get home, the hotel itself is ok, seems fairly clean although dated. We checked in easily and was appointed a nice room with a partial sea view, the room was spacious and clean. However it was one hell of a long walk from the main reception. The TV had one english speaking channel which was CNN no british channels at all. The dining room was awful, the food was monotonous, barely warm, they regularly ran out of crockery, tables were not relaid once the first people left, we had to go and bring our own cutlery and serviettes to the table. The pool was freezing and salt water, the one occasion i went in which was on the Sunday i fell ill with sickness and diarrhoea the after effects i am still suffering with on my return home. The entertainment was geared to the German guests, which i suppose was to be expected as there were only 6 other brits in the hotel that week, the guy who did the entertainment was a lovely young man who always had time to stop and speak. There is nothing whatsoever out side the hotel in the form of entertainment, dining etc. This is my fourth visit to the island and it will be the last.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Cypruslover59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Just come back from one week half board at the hotel. Transfer time was one hour from the airport but we waited nearly one hour for our pick up coach to arrive at the airport (travelled with Thomas Cook with transfer included). The reception lady at the hotel who dealt with us was lovely and spoke excellent English. Our room was clean and a good size but not as large of well appointed as other 4* star hotels we have stayed in. The ocean view was between buildings and limited and for me disappointing. The room safe was 2 Euros per night. Restaurant - what a disappointment. You were lucky if you went at 8 pm or later to find any tables laid (after 9 am in the morning for breakfast) and if you tried to sit in quiet areas you were told to move. There did not seem to be enough cutlery or plates at these times. The cheapest bottle of red wine was 19 Euros. We were never offered a drink list so stuck with water - we saw the prices on the last night on a wine list on another table. The staff were in the main useless at both clearing tables and setting tables. One morning, after setting our own table, we went to get hot food and the table had been cleared of all cutlery, glasses of juice and full cups of coffee when we got back. I relaid the table and just got a shrug. I definitely saw a cockroach (pointed out by a German lady) on one of the counters.

The hotel is isolated and there is no promenade though the resort. The beach was down a steep incline (we saw several elderly people turn back when they say the descent) and there was absolutely nothing on the beach except some nude sunbathers.

Overall, beautiful building and gardens, average rooms and poor food/restaurant. We have stayed in many 4* hotels in the Canaries and this was most definitely not 4*, never mind 4* superior.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Teresa R
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Booked a great value all-inclusive last minute trip here in January. Lovely hotel by the sea, very low single room supplement other guest paid nothing. Excellent food and service as would be demanded by the mainly German patronage. Large swimming pool on the cool side. Sea temperatures quite inviting. Quiet in the evening apart from the organised hotel entertainment.

Room Tip: pick the East wing to get the best of the sunshine
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Graham S
warwickshire
Reviewed January 20, 2011

On arrival at my hotel i was met by a very polite male receptionist, I was dealt with quickly and professionally. My room was lovely, I wasonly one of 3 british people but it really didn't matter to me, prodominantly German, but no problem with that.
All the staff were lovely, Food was very nice, reasonable entertainment, I went on my own for 2wks and would definately go back again, felt very safe and comfortable on my own.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank finualakelly
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Very nice hotel, great service and nice people, excellente food, great location, beautiful beaches, but toooo many german guest,. why? we have to change this by booking this hotel from different parts or the world. You would love it, just check yourself ok.

Very clean, good room service, beautiful beach, great location, delicious food, nice service and people, fitness area, all included. What else would we need to enjoy life?

I look forward to return soon,

B.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
N. Ireland
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Firstly, we stayed here for one night only, courtesy of Thomas Cook on account of the Spanish ATC Strikes. My report is based on only that 1 night.
Location - 1 hour from the airport - too far for my liking. Little to do round about and the supermarkets referred to were extortionate and the shopping centre was only 5 or six shops with little to warrant any real attention.
Rooms - We stayed in a 4 person room (apartmen(. This was two beds and two seats made into beds, larger enough for no more than a 4 or 5 year old. A throw back to the 70's if ever I saw one and we cohabited with an army of ants on the tiled floor. That said I'm advised that the two person rooms were much more hospitable.
Food - quality was average, choice was poor.
AI - we arrived just after 4.30 having been at the airport all day and not eaten. Apparently no food is served between 4.30 and 6.30.
Facilities - cold pool, everything small given the number of rooms and I got the distinct impression that most of the hotel was closed to business.
Oh yes, the Germans. Plentiful in deed but I had no issue with them and they had no issue with us. If you're a George Cross fanatic and wear your heart on your sleeve - wrong hotel, wrong resort.
I am usually very tolerant as all my previous posts will show. On this occasion I'm sorry to say the only upside to this trip was that I know that I don't want to go back to this hotel or this resort.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank GCCo.Derry

Travelers are raving about these Costa Calma hotels

West Yorkshire
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Returned from this hotel 24 Nov 2010 after 1 week. I booked the hotel through Thomson in the Forster Square Retail Park, Bradford but was not told by the sales clerk the hotel catered mainly for Germans and it was on arrival the receptionist told me my wife and I were the only British staying their, and they were correct as I found out throughout the week. Even the evening entertainment which was pretty lousy was aimed at the German speaking clients so we both felt like aliens from another planet. On the first night the bar waiter mentioned to me that it reminded him of the British sit-com, Little Britain as I could be the only gay in the village but slightly changed to the only Brit in the village. one German lady (who could speak a little English)actually took pity on us and came over to speak one evening, The hotel must be a 3* not as advertised as 4* but the staff were very nice plus the place was very clean and the food was just about OK. But not to be recomended if you can't speak German, we certainly won't be returning as there is nothing else outside the hotel to visit besides the shore line. Also no rep in the hotel at all for us to compain to. Think twice about visiting the hotel

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple