Kn Hotel Matas Blancas
$176
$155
$121
  • Breakfast included
SBH Taro Beach(Costa Calma)
$192
$144
H10 Tindaya(Costa Calma)
$179
HotelsClick
SBH Monica Beach(Costa Calma)
TripAdvisor
Morasol Atlantico(Costa Calma)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewssteam roomwalk in wardrobepool arealast minute bookingsnack barhalf boardvaried and tastyplaya esmereldaroof terracebuilding workfishbreakfast and dinnervery pleasant stayjunior suiteour night staygreat poolshuttle bus
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Returned to the hotel Best Age on 29th September 2012 for another 2 week stay. All the staff were pleased to see me on my return and treated me like Royalty! Once again the hotel was immaculate and the food and drink was of good quality and plentiful, also kept hot. The weather in the main was superb, mid 30s most days and the wind was not as strong as when I visited in August. The hotel was fairly busy but you still had your own space and were well catered for in the dining area. The spa and sauna area were good, not too many people about when I used the facilities, about 6 in the evening.The beaches were not as busy and without the world cup in full swing, this suited me fine.
I was surprised at one review where the comment was made that the beaches were boring and not worth the visit? I personally feel that the beaches are one of the reasons why I come here. You can walk from Costa Calma to Morro Jable along 17 kilometres of probably some of the best beaches in the world, and sometimes not see a sole, bliss! Most days I walked for miles and never tired of the area. There is not much to do in Costa Calma and if you visit the busier Morro Jable you will soon run out of things to do, so, if you are looking for a busy time then the south is probably not for you. But if you are looking for peace and quiet and somewhere to chill out and reflect / charge the batteries then this is for you. The hotel has a no children policy, and while I love my children (the youngest of four is now 24!) and grandchildren, this makes for a very quiet and peaceful break amongst responsible adults of all nationalities and walks of life, who in the main, are happy to become your friends for the holiday duration and sometimes beyond. If you are considering this hotel I would say give it a try, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've booked again to go back in January! Again I didn't use the pool but the area did seem very tranquil. Would like to thank in particular Pilat, Vicente and Bari for looking after me so well.

Room Tip: rooms 208 to 218 and 308 to 318 have good views over the pool and Costa Calma, also very sunny.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank phil654
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Lovely clean and modern hotel. Comfortable rooms, excellent facilities. The food was varied and plentiful, something for all tastes. Free buses to the beach and zoo (definitely recommend the zoo). Very helpful and friendly staff.
We stayed in mid October so it was very quiet. Most of the other guests were German but the staff also spoke English.
The beaches were lovely, but be aware that there will be nudists!
The hotel is great if you just want to lounge about (either around the hotel pool or on the beach), I would not recommend it if you want a buzzing nightlife or central location.
The only thing I would change is that the wifi is only available in the reception area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hazelp83
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at the best age hotel dor two weeks in september and it was very peaceful and relaxing. We were recieved by very friendly staff at the reception that were very helpful with things like buses, car rentals and places to go.
Our room was beautiful we stayed in a themed suite ( all of the suites have their own themes ) very spacious and clean. We were also equipped with all the necesities. The rooms were cleaned daily and the sheets and towels changed every couple of days. Very satisfying and they also have a laundry service to send your clothes too when needed.
The pool area was very well looked after, clean and peaceful. There were also more than enough sunbeds so no races in the morning to save one!!
The food was well selected and the presentation was beautiful, it tasted good too!! We were very impressed with the great selection of foods for every nationality. It was well spread out so that nothing went cold and there was never an empty tray left for long. The service was superb and have absolutly no complaints in that department. The managers are friendly and efficient and would love to send a huge thank you to all of the staff for making sure our stay was a comfortable one. Will definatly be coming back in the future. Fantastic place for a peaceful stay under the sun.

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank vicky6009
Reviewed October 7, 2012

First of all I would like to say that for the amount of money people spend on their holiday and the fact that most people only get the chance to go away abroad ( if you are very lucky ) maybe once a year I find it unbelievable that a lot don't do their research into a hotel and the area more thoroughly.

Yes this hotel was in a quiet area of Costa Calma, which was a huge bonus for us. The hotel and area around was really really quiet and adults only. Spot on.

We love going to hotels that have a mix of nationalities and I am finding some comments about 'the Germans' absolutely unbelievable. This is 2012 isn't it?

We were on a full board plus, breakfast, lunch and dinner with drinks.
Breakfast was good with a lot of choice, hot food, bacon, beans etc. Pancakes, pastries, cold meat and cheese, cereal, fruit and a variety of drinks ( cava as well ).
There was a machine that you could have fruit juice out of which wasn't great but there was a guy doing fresh fruit juices as well which were lovely. This was our favourite meal out of all 3.
This was taken at the main restaurant which did get very hot and was a bit canteen like as people have said before.

Lunch was also a small buffet eaten in the Pool Bar.
This had a small selection of salads,hot food and fruit and ice cream for desert. The paella that the Chef did was absolutely lovely.

Evening meal ( in the same place that we had breakfast ) was also buffet and there was a huge selection to choose from,. Yes it did get a bit monotonous but who doesn't get fed up of eating 3 meals a day?
It was a bit poor that the dress rules weren't adhered to though.

Staff and service in both places were excellent, especially the pool bar and were always friendly and worked their socks off.

The room was fine and clean and roomy, no probs there. Bathroom had a small bath, overhead shower that you could use to wash hair in the bath instead of being completely fixed to the wall. There was also a hairdryer and a few toiletries ( which were a tad measly ).

The only negative was our cleaner who was pretty awful. We had another cleaner the one day who did a fantastic job.

You can hire pool/beach towels which you leave a deposit with reception and then get back at the end of the holiday. So it's really not worth adding extra weight to your baggage allowance : )

The Pool area was great. Absolute peace and quiet and always alot of sun loungers to use all through the day. There really is no need to 'reserve' them even though some people did.

I can't comment on the entertainment as we tended to sit on the balcony with some wine in the evening, but i think it was very low key and relaxed. There were things like bingo, a Spanish singer etc.
There were 2 very loud British couples that seemed to think it was okay to practically shout over to each other next door on their balconies, so if people complained ( no matter what their nationality was ) then so be it.

There's a courtesy coach to the beach which is good. The beach was lovely and had a snack bar ( we didn't try that though ). After going on that we decided to hire a car for 7 days which i would highly recommend so you get the chance to see the rest of the island and also the other beaches further up. One of which is absolutely stunning, vast with golden sand and warm sea water.

You can hire a car from reception, very quick and efficient.

The shop in the hotel is excellent and owned by a great couple. The prices are extremely reasonable compared to the shops in the area and other hotels that we have stopped at.

Overall this place was ideal for us, we absolutely loved it. Yes there were things that I would have liked to have changed, view from balcony etc, but the positives hugely outweigh the small insignificant negatives.

If you want complete peace and quiet, no reserving of sun beds, excellent staff in an adults only hotel, then I would highly recommend the Hotel Best Age.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank srsmith73
Reviewed October 2, 2012

**Long, In depth review - With snapshot**

This holiday was for myself and my girlfriend, we're 34 and 26 and wanted a relaxing beach break.

Firstly, if I could have, I'd have given this hotel 3.5 stars out of 5, but as that's not an option I've rounded down - I'll explain why in this review.

Snapshot:

The hotel is around one and a quarter hours from the airport via coach transfer.
A large beer in the snack bar costs 3 euro. A burger with chips costs around 3,5 euro.
The beach is 10/15 mins walk away.
Nightlife is very, very quiet but not non-existent.
Pool, staff, breakfast, main room area - all excellent.
Bathroom, location, evening meal - in need of improvement.
Hiring a safe is 13 euro for the week. Internet is complimentary in the lobby if you have a laptop/smart phone. 1 PC in reception has slow internet access for 1 euro per 10 mins.
Clientele mostly German.

Ok, that's the snapshot - now the review:

Upon arrival, we were greeted at reception by Sina who is by far the best asset this hotel has. Speaking four languages fluently and with excellent customer service skills, she is a great choice as the first person you meet when you arrive. We checked in and were given room 373. I'd requested a room with a view and this has obviously been taken into consideration - our room overlooked the ocean in the distance and a great landscape overall.

The room was a decent sized double (with two large singles (almost doubles)), with a couple of bedside tables, a large mirror, two wardrobes, air con, a tv and various storage spaces. The bathroom was a bit on the small side and you needed to close the door when you were in the bathroom to be able to walk to the shower. The bathroom was in fact one of the main points which lowered the score for this review - during our 7 day stay our toilet broke and started leaking (repaired quickly) and the shower sprayed water everywhere if you moved the shower head. Additionally, the shower over the bath didn't have any sort of partition or screen, so water ran off you all over the floor everytime you showered.

Other than the bathroom issues, the room was very clean, very spacious and had a lovely balcony which we sat out on most nights before going out (or staying in!).

The other main negative factor was the location of the hotel. It is situated in a residential area on top of a hill. The hill itself isn't a massive issue (I walk up a steeper incline to go to the post office at home!) but the surrounding area is a bit dismal, comprising of wasteland where people take their dogs to the toilet and people doing roadworks. Surprisingly, the same wasteland is used for a market on a Wednesday and Sunday.

The beach is 10/15 mins walk from the hotel and is a lovely sandy beach where the sea is warm enough to swim in. Although the hotel runs a bus to the beach near Hotel Esmerelda, I wouldn't recommend the trip - there's nothing there and the beach is exactly the same. Additionally the buses back only run at 12,1,3:15 and 4. We got stuck waiting for a bus for two hours :(

One tip for the beach is to take some bread with you, wade up to your waist and drop the breadcrumbs into the sea - loads of fish will come and swim around you as you feed them :)

The nearest places to eat and drink are at the bottom of the hill, about 10 mins walk away. Here's a brief summary:

Tapas place on the right as you hit the bottom of the hill: Great food, great service. Reasonable prices. Recommended. The bar next door is also good (beer at 2,5 euros!).

La Jardin pizza and drinks (left at the bottom of the hill and across the road): A lovely, lovely setting for a bar, decent service, decent prices - beware that service is auto-charged at 7% here though.

Pizzeria next to the supermarket (bottom of hill, on right): Great pizza, best I had whilst I was here.

Chicken place next to supermarket: excellent chicken but waiter doesn't speak English, so Spanish or pointing is required. Half a chicken for 6/7 euro with chips. Brilliant. A little dog came and befriended us while we ate - of course, we shared :)

Beach bar: This is on the beach nearest to the hotel, follow the cove round to the right and keep walking. It's called Aureolas Snack Bar. Great service, great food and drinks, lovely view.

You can go further afield for food and Sina will recommend a steak restaurant and tapas place (which sadly we didn't make in the end).

The snack bar in the hotel is decent and reasonably priced. The guy who runs the place is very friendly as is one of the main bartenders who also works in the lounge bar.

In terms of the hotel food, we went B+B and found that the breakfasts were excellent. Loads of choice, everything always hot and well cooked. We ate breakfast in the hotel every day before we set off out.

Unfortunately the evening meal which we tried on one night only was pretty disappointing. As one reviewer has already pointed out, the hotel has a dress code for evening meal dining but this is never enforced which meant loads of people in shorts sat next to people in evening dresses. Additionally, the room for breakfast is the same for dinner, totally unchanged. As such, it was more like a staff canteen than a dining room.

On the evening we ate, the temperature in the room was so hot that people were opening windows and sweat was running down the back of my neck. The food selection consisted of five main choices, of which I had chicken (not as good as the store next to the supermarket) and lamb chops (very little meat on them at all - mostly fat). If you have the choice, I would eat out instead of paying extra for the evening meals. At 14 euro PP, it's overpriced for the quality of the food and the setting in which you eat.

Entertainment in the hotel is good, with mini-golf, table tennis, tennis, squash, pool table, card games, dominos, board games etc. On a night they have guys playing keyboard, or guitar.

Without being xenophobic, the other minor negative for this hotel is that the majority of the guests are German. in fact the majority of the south side of the island is geared towards German tourists and most bars will be showing German football or playing German pop music. I don't have an issue with that, but there is a definite cliq in this hotel with the German population and they seem to go out of their way to ignore anyone who isn't German.

Additionally, on the second night we'd been there, myself and my girlfriend were told to be quiet by a German couple when we were chatting on the balcony at 9pm. On our final night when we were listening to music with another English couple (again on our balcony) at a reasonable level, a different German couple rang reception and complained. I appreciate that people want to relax and have a quiet time, but expecting other people to sit in silence on their holidays seems a bit drastic.

The main pool area of the hotel is lovely and has loads of sun loungers along with bed type sun loungers which are really comfy. The hotel has two swimming pools, one of which is two-tiered. The water temperature is decent and its great for a swim when the temperature is high. Beers and drinks from the snack bar can be taken in plastic glasses anywhere in this area. This part of the hotel is probably the best part and is great for just catching some sun or chilling out around the snack bar/pool. There is also an onsite spa with free jacuzzi and sauna which I thought was excellent.

The hotel has a small shop on site run by a friendly Indian family. Although prices are generally much more expensive than the nearby supermarket, it has everything you need at short notice (including stuff you wouldn't think of, like headphones, usb memory sticks etc!). Where possible, I would recommend stocking up on food at the supermarket and rely on the shop for essentials like bottled water.

Overall, this is a tough hotel to review. Had it been advertised as a 3 star hotel I would have given it at least a four star rating. As it claims to be a four star hotel, I've had to take that into consideration, especially when other four star hotels in the area (we popped into Esmerelda to have a nose) are significantly better quality. Some aspects of the hotel are great (the staff, the pool, the general design and scenery of the grounds, the breakfast and snack bar) but some are definitely in need of review (bathroom, guest etiquette, evening meal).

If you're looking for a relaxing, quiet break where you don't mind a lack of nightlife and you don't mind being looked at like you're in a German zoo, this is a great place to wind down and get some sunshine. You could quite easily stay for a week purely in the hotel grounds with short excursions to the beach and the nearby eateries without running out of options.

If you're looking for something with even mild nightlife or for a base of operations that's near a significant 'centre', I would recommend looking elsewhere. It's a lovely hotel in parts with lovely staff, it's just built in the wrong place!

Hope this helps you decide. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Dave and Nic.

Room Tip: Rooms in the row of 373 have a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple