“Superb Family Holiday even for Mr and Mrs.”
Review of smartline Ficus

smartline Ficus
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have just recently returned from the Ficus hotel after a family holiday. We arrived on a Thursday night and our first impressions were of a rather plain and dull reception area and a bar area which seemed strange by it's quietness. How wrong we were! This turned out to be the best family holiday we have ever had and we have had a few in the recent years. The food was excellent and the service superb. We were treated to a wonderful holiday. The refurbished apartments where both adequate in space and decor and all offered a wonderful pool view to the front and landscapes of the rugged volcanic Lanzarote area to the rear. Although the food was excellent, the room spacious and spotless, where the bed was changed and made almost every day and towels where in abundance there was one over riding reasoning as to why our holiday was so successful and indeed the best we have experienced. There is little doubt in any of our minds that the entertainments team at the Ficus are quite easily the best we have ever come across. Our ages ranged from sixty four down to one but diverse as this is, we all thoroughly enjoyed both the imagination and sheer hard work of Kimberley, Liam and Jordan. Their work rate was very impressive and the invention they put into some of the shows was unbelievable. The 80's show which they put on for us all was a superb evening full of songs which the adults in our party all related to and enjoyed. Apart from my son in law Jamie, the rest of my family are rather introvert but the team managed to get us all involved persuading my wife and I to enter the Mr and Mrs competition.
Life is, as always, a matter of opinion but in all honesty I find it rather strange to read some of the contributors on the site critical of the food and the rooms, if I had booked a 5 star hotel it may have been valid but we booked a Children's holiday complex, where our requirement for being entertained, wined, dined and most importantly our children and grandchildren looked after safely while being able to enjoy the great pool facilities. These requirements were totally met. Last year we went to the Oasis Village in Fuerteventura, we enjoyed it very much but preferred the size, facilities, food and atmosphere of the Ficus. All I can say to the entertainments team is from Mr and Mrs, Jamie and Mr Selfridge and the family- best of look in the future and may all your dreams come true.

Room Tip: We felt the upper rooms were the best purely from the viewpoint of the view. There are only 3 floors...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Mike F

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in July 2014 with my husband and two kids aged 2 and 4 years. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but we had an excellent time here.
The hotel is modern and clean, the staff are excellent.
Food- There was always something we liked, a large selection of fresh salad/ fruit/ breads etc at all meals, chips, hotdogs, burgers etc for the kids as well as pasta's, and usually a meat dish such as roast veal or roast pork along with a fish dish. It does get a bit repetetive but there are lots of local restaurants nearby which are reasonable. The food was always hot and fresh.
Sunbeds- I read alot on here about sunbed problems. They now chain the beds up at night, I heard a few people moaning about this but I think its the perfect solution. You go down at 9am when they unchain them and get to pick where you want your bed. For us this meant we were right next to the kids pool all holiday, and for those wanting to be away from screaming kids they can be. There are plenty of sunbeds.
Drinks- I found the drinks were fine, the beer is good and the Sangria is tasty, I also enjoyed the vodka. Plenty of soft drinks and ice creams for the kids.
Entertainment- The entertainment team are FANTASTIC they put everything into it and really create a good atmosphere. The kids loved it and its the best entertainment we have had at a hotel abroad.
The hotel is about a 15 min walk from the main stretch on the front where there are lots of bars restaurants and a lovely beach.
I would return to this hotel again.

17  Thank KayRuss2014
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Hotel Staff: Pleasant, quite helpful, very hard working but not very friendly.
Hotel rooms: Nice, big, clean, quiet and comfortable
Hotel pool, entertainment, activities: spot on, catered for kids and adults, Thomas Cook staff made everyone find a bit of fun in their day. Worked long hours and still remained upbeat and friendly.
Local area: A little square nearby was a lively yet family orientated place to spend a couple of hours in the evening, the restaurants and bars were of good quality, if a little pricey sometimes. A street market with lots of different vendors was good, wednesdays and fridays. We didn't venture to alot other bars and restaurants nearby as we were all inclusive, but the couple of restaurants we did go to were lovely. The all you can eat chinese was fab.
Food: Lots of choice, fresh, safe (nothing too sickly, spicy, dry or bland) sometimes choice was too safe, no mexican, indian, thai on the hotplates.
Drinks: plentiful, didn't queue, could get as many as you wanted and ice cream was on tap and was yummy. Alcoholic drinks weren't very alcoholic, but they only used their own brands.
Trips: quite expensive but we hired a car and so saved money and got to see other parts of the island.
Booked with on the beach. Good bargain holiday. Ryan air, stress free, transfer, short and stress fee.

Room Tip: we had ground floor poolside, good for getting sunbeds!
4  Thank WirralWaky
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

After booking our holiday to the ficus I then looked at the reviews on trip adviser and I have to say I was very nervous about my holiday but when I arrived at the ficus it was very clean and refreshing .. When we got to our room it was spotless and had loads of room . Our room was cleaned at least 4-5 times a week and towels changed on a regular basis the cleaning lady was a very nice lady.. Like other people said about the sun loungers there were people waiting for them since half 7-8 to get the sit up ones but there were plenty of the other sun beds all through the day free and I personally think if people want to get up that early every morning for the better sun loungers then fair play to them I think 9 is a bit late to release them 8 would be better .The bar staff at night were so nice and happy and jolly there was one lady I can't remember her name she had no name badge she really is a gem and All ways smiled and had quick talk with you if she could .. The food was good can't complain to much desert was ok main meals were good some times u had to wait as food was still cooking fish was all ways great and the chicken as we were there for 2 weeks we ate out a couple of times but we enjoyed the food at the ficus the kids drinks and ice cream went down great with the kids they really made the most of it.. The pool area was cleaned every night and morning i seen this as our room was right beside the pool the water is cold but lovely once you get in.. There is a lot to do at the ficus I would recommend you have a look around when you arrive as I did not no there was a TV room or any thing till the second last day .. There is a play ground but did not feel comfortable letting my 7 year old around when the sun went down as there is no lights at it I really think there should be lights put up for the kids .. there was only one staff member I think he was a manager that i found not to be very polite he gave me a late check out his name begins with A he never smiled and was very basic with u on the other hand there was another tall man who was very good and very helpful so we approached him if we need any thing..
The entertainment was great fun you would have to get involved to get the full benefits of it as we we're there for 2 weeks we got to see Ben jordon Liam and kim the games they play and songs they sang with the kids were great so energetic I was tired just looking at them :).. Adults time was great they are brilliant at what they do you can really see a team leader with Kim and her and Liam really bounce of each other they were the best for me hope Thomas cook realise how lucky they are to have the pair of them other than them swinging from the lights I don't no what more they could do there. The club house is a bit dated could do with a bit more work but we had a great holiday with our 2 children 7-9 and would have no problem with recommending the ficus at all..a sun care lady was on hand a few days a week that was great as my daughter got prickly heat and the cream she gave worked.. So I would not take notice to the bad reviews like I did as it's a great hotel and great value :)

Best wishes from Dublin

Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank B_dublin1
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Firstly the location of the Ficus, even though there are a few bars and shops just a hundred yards or so away you'll definitely feel the need to venture a little further to see what the Costa Teguise coastline has to offer. Some fantastic beaches, bars and restaurants are only a 10 minute walk away so don't be too put off by the location if you don't mind a short walk.
The rooms have recently been renovated and are a credit the the Ficus certainly exceeding their 3 star rating, they are simplistic in design but spacious and clean with a maid service every other day.
The buffet dining area is a little on the small side and we did find that when certain popular dishes were being served they did struggle to keep up with demand so it was either queue or eat something else. The food though was cooked to a good standard and I have to admit the full English breakfast was consistently enjoyable even though other meals may have suffered from a little repetition.
The drinks are just about passable which seems the trend for all inclusive resorts, mostly drinkable but weaker than you'd hope for, but it's definitely worth trying a cocktail or two on the coastline as there is a lot of competition for your custom so you do get a little more effort used to make you a drink.
The entertainment is provided through a Thomas Cook entertainment team that try their best with little to no resources so it's inevitably it ends up being a little kitsch with a few of the kids shows in the evening being the highlight. There is absolutely no entertainment in the day for the kids and beware if you think you have access to the kids club at the El Trebol as there is massive confusion over who is allowed to go as Thomas Cook are not acknowledging bookings through them which I have queried since my return to only find that the kids club is now listed as an "Airtours" club which it certainly wasn't when we booked. This is just one of many examples of Thomas Cook not representing it's holiday makers either with missing promised facilities or simply a lack of help from the occasionally on site rep. To prevent towels being used to reserve sun loungers the hotel chooses to keep them chained up until 9.00am and although I am in favour of this policy I do feel 8.00am would be a much more suitable time to allow people to enjoy the early sun after all we are on holiday
Overall the Ficus is well worthy of it's 3 star rating and only a few steps away from a slightly higher one , maybe it's association with Thomas Cook is worth a rethink as they are certainly dragging it down.
In summary I would happily return to the Ficus as long as the price reflected the minor negative points it suffers from but this would only be a consideration through any other tour operator than Thomas Cook.

Room Tip: Adult entertainment goes on until about midnight so ask to be away from the entertainment complex if...
5  Thank MagikPocketz
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here april 2014 its a lovely hotel but the location is a bit far out and the nearest shop is the spar which shuts at 10 annoying seeing as we didnt get there til 11. The food was alright what you would expect for all inclusive and the rooms were clean modern and spacious. Free wifi in reception and a nice pool although nobody paid attention to the rule of not reserving sunbeds which was irritating.

Small bar area but friendly staff.

One criticism is the kids club was on the same time as dinner so we didnt get to experience that. Also the evening entertainment didnt allow children on the dance floor or stage which seems a bit strict to me

If I could move ficus to another location it would be better. All in all fairly impressed

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The rooms were spacious and seemed clean enough on arrival. A few days into the stay, ants over the sink and in shower, no change of sheets in the 7 days we stopped. Food was below average, no real choice of desserts which was quite poor and staff were very arrogant and treated people like animals in the restaurant. It was a case of feed them, clear after them and get them out!! One cleaner in the restaurant almost took a fit when a guest opened a door to let fresh air in the restaurant complaining that she had swept up and people were now going to go in and out of this door! That is what doors are for! Sunbeds were an issue (for some people) I saw families waiting from 7am to claim a bed (they were chained up till 9am), very sad really as the sun hits the pool from all angles. This place needs a change of staff for sure!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms were nicer views. No internet connection in any of the rooms unless you pay for it.
2  Thank Dawn O