“Great base for fab holiday!”

Vitalclass Lanzarote Sport & Wellness Resort
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great base for fab holiday!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We booked Vitalclass because my husand had been on a bking holiday based there. Love the facilities, the link to the spa, pool and fitness centre. Was good place to get out of Costa Teguise from when we had a car to go exploring for 3 days. A bit out of the town and 2 blocks back from the beach - but good if you like a short walk and/or a run every day. Buffet is amazing - didn't need to eat between breakfast and dinner - and after each meal thought we'd never need to eat again! Staff were very helpful. Accommodation really good - a small kitchen - although we hardly needed it with half-board. Only downside was poor internet connection in the room (which you have to pay extra for). Also bedroom window could not be left open at night as it was large window opening on to a walkway. Great location if you like quiet, and like to be a little away from the business of the main resort area. Still easily walkable to beaches and town - may need a taxi at night if out late.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jetta047

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
york
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I am finding this hotel difficult to review. It varies between excellent and an episode of Fawlty Towers. The rooms are excellent - we had a junior suite with sun loungers on the balcony on the top floor. Thanks to other reviewers I emailed for this before we went. Wifi is free for 3 hours a day in reception but we managed to get a signal on the balcony. Some of the staff are lovely and helpful, others do not speak Spanish (only some English and Polish) and work at the speed of continental drift. Watching these girls clear plates away at dinner was worthy of Manuel. Food was not really 4 star but fish and meat was cooked fresh on demand. The walk to town was great if you cut through the parks and joined the main promenade. Luckily we found this out early on but we were told by reception to go along the main road. Not quite the same!
We would stay here again because it is such good value. However, I get the feeling this is a place that is not going to be open for long. Occupancy seemed low and I have never sat around a pool with so few other people - we were always the only people in the pool. The spa and tennis courts were good value at 6 euros. It wouldn't take much for this place to become a true 4 star.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovetravellingYork
Liverpool
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Viticlass Wellness Resort Hotel in Teguise was a strange experience for my wife and I. A hotel with some excellent facilities and the blessing of the great weather of Lanzarote; but also a hotel with poor service and poor atmosphere among the staff.

On the plus side it has good, relatively modern facilities. Nice big room, we had a junior suite that was more like a small apartment. Lots of space in the hotel grounds and plenty of beds around the two swimming pools. There is a Spa attached to the place but we didn’t use its services. It was extremely quiet the week we stayed (the week after Easter) at the hotel which we enjoyed during the day as you could read, sunbathe and relax around the pool. We stayed half-board and the food in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner was decent without being of gourmet standard. Wi-fi system and signal is good too. We had paid £60 per night for our 3-night stay so it was good value from that aspect.

The downsides were the service standards and location. The hotel is a fair distance from Teguise centre so you should be prepared for a long walk. We had a car and this proved very useful for getting around and breaking up the routine. Service was not great and the staff, though mostly very affable, just seemed unhappy and almost reluctant to help. They had waiting staff in the restaurant who spoke neither English nor Spanish (we speak both languages) and were reluctant to do anything other than take away plates. Towels were not changed without several requests, toiletries not given in the bathroom. Other poor touches too – a deposit for pool towels I understand (10 Euros), but a deposit for a TV remote control? Do they really lose that many remote controls to petty theft to force this on all guests?

This may be the place for some. For sun, peace, quiet and value for money it was good. Despite this, we won’t be going back to this unhappy place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElToffeeChico
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Check-in was fairly straightforward. Finding our room was a little trickier. Try finding Room 5002 by following the signs. Not easy. Our room was in fact a junior suite on the ground floor. Nice size lounge with adequate bathroom, bedroom & kitchen. There was just about enough utensils in the kitchen to get by. The rooms appeared clean but the bedroom did smell a bit damp. I don’t know if the room had not been used for a while but certainly needed an airing. The twin beds were the memory foam type. I have never used one of these previously but they were fantastic. The most comfortable hotel bed I have ever had. In fact I have ordered a new bed of this type since arriving back in the UK. On the first night I was having one of the best sleeps in a long while when I woke up needing to use the bathroom. I put the bedside light on & spotted a cockroach on the bedside table. I was unable to catch it & spent the rest of the night sleeping with one eye open. On our second night after returning from an evening out we put the light on & spotted another larger cockroach running from the kitchen to the bedroom where it disappeared under my bed. Another comfortable but sleepless night. This set the tone for the remainder of our stay. We did report it to reception but do not think anything was done. We mentioned it to the maid who gave us a large aerosol fly spray. I could have sworn I heard the cockroaches singing at night (see the film Joe’s Apartment).
We stayed on half board. The best I can say is that the food was OK. Breakfast was disappointing. Scrambled eggs were disgusting & the beans were always cold. The best bet was to get the chef to make an omelette. The orange juice however was delicious. The evening food again was OK. It was a bit hit & miss. Any meat had to be cooked to order, so took a little time. We had salad most evenings. Not the best but adequate. Pasta was cooked to order & this was very popular. I did not try it myself so cannot comment on the quality. The fruit at both breakfast and evening meal was disappointing. I was expecting something a bit better from a Sport & Wellness Resort. One thing not to miss, however, is the chocolate ice cream. Don’t know if I have ever tasted better.
The bar was a bit strange. On our first evening we went to the bar before dinner. Although open there was no one serving. After a 5/10 minute wait we asked reception if the bar was open. They confirmed it was and called a waiter to serve us. After dinner we went back to the bar & again no one serving. After a few minutes a waiter was passing so we asked for a drink which he served. He then disappeared. A few guests did come into the bar but after waiting a few minutes they left. We managed to collar a waiter for a further drink but after that the restaurant was closed & all the waiters had left. We gave up & retired for the evening. I did check this bar every night for the remainder of our stay. Every night it was open but not once did I see anyone serving. As I said, a bit strange.
The hotel is about 25/30 minute walk from the main town but there is a good selection of bars & restaurants about 5/10 minute walk away.
This hotel is OK and I wouldn’t put anyone off going there. However, because of the cockroaches I will probably find somewhere else to stay next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie G
Aspatria, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a base for a cycling holiday, and chose this hotel as there appeared to be plenty to keep our non-cycling teenage daughters occupied, both in the hotel and in the resort, while we were out during the day.

The attached spa, offering a gym, 25m pool, and exercise classes, was part of the attraction at the time of booking. We were rather disappointed when we arrived to find that use of these facilities was not included in the package we'd booked with Cosmos, apart from one complimentary entry to the spa which didn't include use of the pool or gym. Entry to the facilities was relatively expensive (17 Euros for spa, gym and swim, 6 Euros just for a swim in the pool) and involved booking in advance by 'phone, and access was limited because other groups had priority. And our younger girl (aged 15) couldn't go to the classes because she was under 16.

So if you want to use the spa, take extra money and ideally some basic Spanish for making the booking.

That's the good old British grumbling out of the way, and there will be no more of it, because we had a lovely stay.

When we arrived, we walked into a clean, bright, spacious foyer dotted with tables, chairs and sofas, and checked in very smoothly. Our rooms were ... well, accustomed to being delighted with attics in the Alps, we were gobsmacked to find that the two "rooms" were spacious one-bedroomed apartments, each with a separate living room (including a big television), serviceable kitchen with fridge/freezer, coffee machine and hob, and huge bathroom. All very clean and tidy. I note that other reviewers have commented that their bathrooms smelt of wee. Ours didn't. Just sayin'. The beds were very comfortable.

The cleaning ladies cheerfully came in each day and made the beds, emptied the bins, and rounded up and washed our cups and glasses.

The two outdoor pools (there is a third children's pool, which avoided the danger of children drowning by not having any water in it while we were there) were strangely unused. I'd expected them to be standing room only. "It's because they're not heated," a seasoned Canary Island visitor explained. The water temperature could be described as, "it's lovely once you're in, it really is". And the pools are big enough for all but the strongest swimmers to swim reasonable lengths. Not that that's what they're for, of course, but when the spa pool is 6 Euros per dip ...

The dining room is nice and spacious, and meals are buffet style. There's no allocation of tables, and table settings are a knife, a fork, and a paper napkin. We went half-board. There was a generous time window for both breakfast (7.45am-10.30am) and dinner (6.30pm-9.30pm) and always plenty of food.

As rookies to sunny island holidays, we were well impressed with the range and quality of food at dinner, particularly the cooked-to-order meats and the salads and puddings. One of our girls is an extremely fussy eater and she found plenty to eat and was even inspired by the presentation of foods to try some unfamiliar dishes. The hot food was mostly lukewarm, apparently because this is how Canarians prefer it.

Breakfast wasn't quite up to the same standard, but there was something for everyone - lots of cooked options, freshly-made omelettes and Scotch pancakes, cold tortilla, not-particularly-good bread with cheeses and cold meats, a small choice of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, cakes and pastries. And coffee that was like engine oil.

The desk staff were helpful with booking excursions (they gave us a leaflet when we booked in - the girls went on the Grand Tour and thoroughly enjoyed it) and solving glitches. There's free internet access in the foyer for three hours a day, and it's not expensive to buy unlimited access if you want it. There are lots of power points in the foyer to plug in your laptop, 'phone or whatever.

There were two resident feral cats around the hotel, not hordes of them as we'd been led to expect. They were cautiously friendly.

The hotel is on a main road but the accommodation is set well back behind the foyer and was very quiet. The road itself wasn't all that busy while we were there. It's a bit of a walk to the beach and into town, but we wanted to be out of the centre so it suited us well. Costa Teguise probably has its "Lanzagrotty" areas but is mostly lovely, with wide streets and lots of greenery (cacti and palm trees, mostly), clean beaches and good pavements.

We hired road bikes from http://www.tommys-bikes.com/ and were very pleased with the bikes and the service. It was SO lovely to get our comedy tan lines started off for the year after the dismal weather we've had in the UK! Cycling in Lanzarote is just fabulous. Challenging - you're always going up or going down, though never very steeply - but the roads are mostly well-surfaced, local drivers are considerate, and there are plenty of delightful little eateries selling inexpensive snacks and drinks. And as for the views ... well, on the first day I came back thinking, "What an UGLY island, with all that barren craggy blackness and spiky plants and no proper trees." But by the end of the week it had grown on me.

We'd definitely go back to Lanzarote, to Costa Teguise, and to this hotel. But we'll go and cycle on some other sunny islands first.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Technosaurus
Tipperary
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Family of 5, with kids aged 10,8 and 6 stayed for 9 days in March 2012. We really enjoyed our stay. Location is quiet area approx 10/15 minutes walk to beach and 'downtown' Costa Teguise.
Nearest supermarket and/or coffee house only 7/8 minutes walk.
Although our kids enjoyed their holiday immensely it is not a kids resort per se. There are no activities or kids clubs provided - entertainment was self administered.
As indicated in the name the theme of the hotel is very much wellness and fitness. Many of the guests were amatuer triathletes on a warm weather training break. Very good gym and 25 m indoor swimming pool provided facilities to aid this training. So many days our kids at the smallish oputdoor pool to themselves.
We stayed Bed&Breakfast and the breakfast food was good with a chef freshly cooking omelettes and eggs on request, to go along with buffet food.
We had evening meal 3 nights in the hotel which was also decent but I reckon would get a bit tiresome after a few nights in a row. There were plenty of good, affordable restaurants down in the village that we walked to on the other nights. One slightly irritating note was the charge for dinner in the restaurant was the same for kids as adults (€15). (Ice cream must be getting v expensive!)
We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was spacious but I would agree that the design of the buildings is not great - no windows in toilet/bathroom and bedrooms windows opening onto corridors. However it was spacious enough for our needs and quiet for sleeping time.
Paid for wi-fi but signal kept dropping and had to relog in. Wi-fi is designed to be a revenue source for the hotel rather than a service to guests (Ryanair model) - not great.
In summary though. Vitalclass did deliver. Helped by lovely weather, we had a very nice time with lots of exercise thrown in, motivated by all the fit, healthy bodies at breakfast time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Donjob
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Evaluation in a nutshell: mixed feelings. I'll let you know the pros and cons and you decide based on what you're looking for.

Pros:
- Room: We stayed in a Junior Suite and it was simply great - made a huge difference to the quality of our holidays. We had private, huge terrace, where you can sunbath just like the mother nature created you. It was very spacious, clean and quiet, and even had a massage chair available for free.
- Dinner: I am mentioning just the dinner, as breakfast's place is rather in the "Cons" section... Dinners were good, with high quality food and decent variety. Not anything amazing but still deserves a +.

Cons:
- Customer service: The hotel should show more trust for its customers. I can understand a card number and your ID copy as a guarantee but the procedures of Vitalclass go much beyond that. Signing a blank cheque is an abuse, in my opinion, and I agreed just not to lose precious holidays time for quarrels.
- Breakfast: Unlike the dinner, breakfast had low quality and the variety wasn't amazing too. Pity, as for us it's our favorite meal during holidays. I would prefer even smaller choice but of high quality food.

Overall, we left very satisfied because of our private solarium and great weather. Nevertheless, the hotel should take some simple measures to complete the customers' satisfaction.

Room Tip: Choosing a Junior Suite makes a huge difference. Highly recommended if you like to enjoy a private...