“repetitious food”

Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited the Beatriz for Xmas 2012, arrived on 16th Dec for 12 days. On arrival we couldnt help but notice that the hotel was far from full and those who were there were the older generation. Not that we found that a problem, just the opposite in fact, they are all so friendly with no agenda. As the days went on, more guests arrived and so far, only one or two screaming unruly kids whose parents prefer to let them be supervised by the staff than take an interest themselves. I have to agree with the majority of Silverheadskiers comments on the hotel, (saves me writing it all) with the exception of the food, we felt that it let the hotel down. We always go AI so were not expecting silver service but we did think that for the price, there should have been more choice on a daily basis. The food served each sitting had enough choices but then they were much the same choices every day. Didnt really bother me too much because I only eat salad at lunchtime anyway. This, I have to say, was brilliant. So many different ingredients to choose from, but hubby does not eat salad or any veg so you can see why it would be a problem for him!!! After having uncooked fish two days running, I gave the show cooking a miss. I agree that the queues at the bars in the evening were unacceptable once the hotel got fuller. The poor (but brilliant) barman in the piano bar was run ragged but never complained and always had a smile for you and most importantly, he always remembered what you drink. The mark of a good barperson. So many people complained to reception as the queues got longer and longer in the entertainments bar, and on a couple of occasions, they did send in a second barman. We ate out at Tekkers in the town about four times during our stay, mainly because we wanted to watch the darts and football, and as has already been said, the only english chanels were the news, not what I want on holiday, too depressing. We will visit the area again, but not to this hotel, only because it is so far out of town and the food not up to scratch. I also agree with Depois as far as the drinks were concerned, it was a long way from the 4th floor to the pool for a hot drink during a cloudy, cold day, we had to put up with bottled water or coke which we bought down town. Views from the room were superb, we got brilliant pics of the sunsets over the sea.

1  Thank Goldie-Pit
There are newer reviews for Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel expecting luxury but I would say its about a 3 star plus and not the 4 it says it is. I feel the biggest thing I noticed was the dining area always smelt exactly the same every night as if the same being cooked again and again.
It is a real trek to anywhere decent. Once out of the hotel it's a very long boring walk to reach the first sight of any life and entertainment. It's not like you can have a mid day wonder about out of the hotel grounds as really is nothing about. You have to walk a long way and on the way back it's al up hill!!! Unless you of course plan to catch buses.
Due to its aim we felt to the older person and location we won't be returning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HolliePolly
Diego P, Director Comercial at Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thanks a lot for your comment,

We are really sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. The owners of the hotel has very recently changed and we are working to solve some of the problems you talk about.

Have our best regards and happy 2013!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

AI not really half board maybe,breakfast fine,10.00 finnishes.,on a day where your in your room, you have to move from your room down the lift walk to the pool bar and back took 12 min. not good for a hot drink but nowhere in the hotel to get a drink unless you pay,spent my meal times asking waiters fo fill food trays that were empty.and it was;nt busy.nice hotel great staff,if you can find some.went in for dinner,got our food plonked down,started to eat then a waiter shouted, not there move to another area.so now i need to have second sight.nob. cesar in the piano works his tail.but in the other bar two staff dont think so.good view from room.good 15 min walk to teguise.bus finnished at 6.00,take a tourch if your out.

Room Tip: near to the middle,keep the walking down take a kettle.
3  Thank debois

Thanks a lot for your comment,

Hope you had a good time with us.

Have our best regards and happ 2013!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had spent last Christmas at this hotel and enjoyed it so much we returned again this year. This time did our booking through Travel Republic, this was fine and saved money on the tour operators price, and we still flew with Thomas Cook. Wish the seats had a bit more room, but having said that we booked in flight meals both ways, now being aware that in flight meals are usually iffy to say the least this was a pleasant surprise both ways, as these were of the best in flight meals I have had. OK not high class but good, the muffins both ways were in my opinion to die for!! We taxied from the airport 24Eurors including tip, and booked a return journey with Last minute excursions at 10 Eurors for three of us, good value in a mini bus.
The Hotel - we have a mini suite, two rooms, one set out as a lounge with a single bed added, complete with cloakroom, and a bedroom and bath room which is quite large. Both have flat screen TVs, and balconys which give sun all day and wonderful views to the sea. The beds are a bit hard for me, but in general OK. These rooms have air con, and are carpeted. Although there is limited English speaking TV. All kept very clean, but do feel in places this is a bit tired.
The main entrance certainly has the woa factor and is wonderfully decorated for Christmas. The entertainment area is in two parts, and gentle piano bar, and the main stage show area, through which a river runs, and full of lots of plants, giving thw whole place an outdoor feel.
There are rooms for games, pool, table tennis etc. and a big screen TV room which never appears to be used. Three lifts serve the six floors, and they are glass lifts so look out over the entertainment area and further to the sea. This is a big hotel and must have about 500 rooms, but at no point does it feel over crowed, the design is such that a feeling of space is created. There are ramps and although not disabled, muyself I would say access for those with difficulties is good. The pool area consists of two main pools one heated a snakk childrens pool and a jacussi. The main pools are large. There is no shortage of sun beds, and the grounds are big, with a Childrens club Large area, tennis court, football area, volley ball area, french bowls area, childrens play ground, squash court(not in good repair), paddle tennis court and crazy golf area, as well as a pool bar and snack area.. Behind the pool bar is the day time entertainment area, for archery, shooting, and other games,.
The entertainment team of Luca, Thomas and Christine (the latter two were entertainers last year) are excellent and the whole fun of joining in means you meet lots of people. Well done entertainers another good fun holiday for uys.
The evening entertainment was better than last year, with more outside persons, and less in house entertainment, a good mix of music and other types of entertainment was provided.
Now to the food, they cater for a lot of people of various nationalities and in general do an execellent job, although I have to agree that the food quality was slightly down on last year. Having said that there was always something good, the salad bar was a dream with everything you could wish for, and the breakfasts were good. Please if you are British don'ty expect everything like a big fry up to be exactly as at home, but try the different stuff on offer, can recmment the omelettes.
Food is buffet style, last year drinks were served at your table, regardless of whether or not you were AI, this year AI was do it yourself.
Last year there was a waiter service for drinks during the evening entertainment, this year it was queue at the bar , and yes most of the time there was a queue, and some were giving the poor bar men a hard time,. It is not them who make the rules with just one person on, and they work hard and are good, so please be patieint.
The spa is wonderful and takes over an hour to go around, but it could do with a bit of a make over, nothing major, just stick the mosaic tiles back in place where they are loose.
No there is no gala meal on Christmas day (but if you read the info and learn travel operators speak you will relise this) but an efforrt is made to make things festive. My husband was Papa Noel for the secod year running and loved every moment.
The staff are good work hard and try to be friendly we think they do a wonderful job.
There is a good mix of nationalities and we love meeting people from other countries and from our own Great Britian, it is not our surroundings that make our holidays good, it is the wonderful and I mean WONDERFUL, people we meet, thank you Beatriz and all the guests for another wonderful Christmas Holiday.
Final comment - think it was better when not AI. personal opinion.

Room Tip: Try and get middle of building not so far to walk
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thanks a lot for your comment!

We are glad to hear you repeated with us and had a good time in Lanzarote. The island in incredible and Christmas is a really good time of the year to be here. Thanks for being so comprehensive concerning the waiter service.

We will send your comments to the direction for their review.

Have our best regards and Happy 2013!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just returned from a Xmas break at Beatriz with my wife and my parents. Although the break was cut short due to my mother's illness, I will review the hotel based on me not having a very emotional and stressful time. The hotel is very very impressive. I have been to some very good hotels but the architect on this building needs an award. The hotel is palatial, the reception area itself is amazing. We were greeted with the biggest Xmas tree I have ever seen. The two bar areas either side of reception are also very impressive and inside the hotel it is full of greenery and impressive waterfalls. The check in was quick and painless!! The rooms were very nice indeed with views of the pool and surrounding areas! The bathroom was huge with separate toilet facilities. Plenty of storage space for clothes was provided along with a TV and safe although you did have to pay 3 Euros per day for the safe and most channels on the TV were Spanish. The room was also cleaned on a daily basis!! The pool area is massive and plenty going on for children. The only downside to the pool is the same as in most Canarian resorts and that is they are absolutely freezing. Why hotels insist on not heating their pools for enjoyment is beyond me! The restaurant area is also quite big and didn't feel too much like a canteen like in some buffet places. The food was nice and plenty enough to keep most people happy with plenty of choice for breakfast and evening meal and all food was warm and well cooked. Special mention goes to the very polite "egg" woman in the morning! Some reviewers mentioned favouritism towards All-Inclusive guests but I didn't witness any of that apart from having to pay for your drinks and sign for the bill.
The location of the hotel could be a problem for some people! It is on the outskirts of Costa Teguise and a good 10 minute walk into town or the beach. For those liking a bit of exercise or a leisurely walk this should not be a problem and there is also a free shuttle bus provided by the hotel. Taxis are also only about 4 Euros!
All in all this is a wonderful hotel and I would highly recommend. I know some people like to be really picky so for those the things I would change is A) Heating the pool B) Change the orange juice for breakfast (rank) 3) Pay for drinks as you have them rather than sign and pay at end of hols ( Expensive too) 4) Stop families shouting "Luke" every 10 seconds round the pool (Hotel can't help that lol )
Wish I could have stayed for Xmas as planned but not to be!!

6  Thank Craig B

Thanks a lot for your comment!

We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked our hotel and facilities. We also hope you liked the island of Lanzarote! It is a pity you could not stay with us during Christmas, as it is a really nice atmosphere here.

We take not from your comments and will send your review to the direction of the hotel. Thanks for helping us to improve! By the way, we will send your message to the "egg woman" in the breakfast, she will be glad of hearing such good comment.

Have our best regards

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Just returned from week AI at Beatriz Costa & Spa. We visited 18 months ago and although we enjoyed our stay, I would say that the quality of the food had dropped a bit since the last visit. That saying, the food was still good, it was slightly repetitive. Restaurant always very clean and staff constantly clearing away plates and replenishing food at buffet.

We found all staff to be very friendly and helpful. Room was cleaned every day and towels changed. Maid was very friendly and helpful and offered extra pillows when she saw I was using blanket under pillow for height.

Entertainment is your usual hotel entertainment and we were always able to get seat as hotel was quite quiet at the beginning of our stay, but even as it got busier nearer Christmas we were still able to get a seat. As the hotel got busier, extra staff were put on the bar to serve, therefore queues never very long.

Never used the spa on our last visit, but did this time and it was excellent, just what you need after a long day in the sun.

Always plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas and sun shades and entertainment staff were not at all pushy like some hotels, if you want to join in day time activities you could, if not, you were left to chill out.

Our holiday ended on 23rd December, but didn't want to go home, wished we'd booked for over Christmas. Many people arriving for Christmas were there for return visits, having spent Christmas at this hotel many times in the past. Many knew each other from previous visits and everyone we encountered were friendly.

Although I have said some things have slipped since our last visit, I have just spent a really relaxing week and feel totally chilled. The Beatriz Costa and Spa is great value for money. We have already booked to return to this hotel at end of February for another week. Can't wait.

If I have one complaint, it would be it internet access. Internet is available free in reception area only, but it is so slow that it took 1.5hrs to download a 40 minute tv programm. As our room was above the reception on the 2nd floor, we were able to get internet access in the room, but you had to sit behind the door to be able to do this.

Room Tip: The spa is a hidden gem, great after a long day in the sun.

Thanks a lot for your comment,

We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It is a pity you could you not stay during Christmas, as it is a really nice period to stay in the island!

Thanks a lot for your review about the wifi. We will take it into account and send it to the direction for their review.

Have our Best Regards!!!

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Was a bit worries as read mixed review and booked this for a few days relaxation with my mum before Xmas. Should not have worried. Hotel was excellent. Staff friendly. Spotless. Plenty of choice at mealtimes and beautiful surroundings. Pool area was beautiful and plenty of sun beds. Constant cleaning. Would definitely recommend this hotel. The spa is excellent. Beautifully done and very therapeutic

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Teguise
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero
Barcelo Teguise Beach - Adults only

Been to Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa? Share your experiences!