“Best family holiday ever .....”
Review of Sands Beach Resort

Sands Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Just before I start I'm not one go to the trouble of posting on this site be I really feel like I need to after the best family holiday we have had in 8 or 9 years of family holiday ....
We have just arrived home after 10 nights staying in the sands beach from the 11th July till 21st July and I can honestly say for start to finish it was absolutely brilliant !!! My wife and I are on our mid 30s and have two kids aged 6 and 10 .
The resort itself is spotless and the apartments are extremely spacious .our room a superior room which for the sake of a few quid extra is well worth it .... Had a main bedroom , a pull down bed hidden in sliding wardrobes ( which was great because you can just swing it back up during the day making lots more room in the apartment ) it also had a pull out sofa bed , good sized kitchen ,bathroom and double sinks .The selling point for us was that it was was less then 20 steps to the pool which was great for us ... You could just chill on the patio and watch the kids at all times . We went half board as we had no choice because of such a short notice booking ... But the food for both breakfast and dinner was extremely good .... Each dinner was themed eg.Mexican,European,Asian and so on and the was plenty of fresh fruit and deserts ... The staff could not have been nicer and are great with the kids . There is also a great kids club (The buddy's club) our 6 yr old girl loved it .. The 10 years old boy was happier playing the pool or kayaking in the man made beach ... They had a kids disco every night and some entertainment for the parents..... The complex itself is only a short walk from some great restaurants (La Bohemia) just up the road great steak !!! And also a €3.50 taxi ride to the middle of costa teguise where there are plenty of restaurants and bars...
In regard to the complex itself I would recommend either the plaza Palmeras or plaza Montana because they have great views and close to the shop and reception .

In a nutshell .. If your looking for a crazy party up all night with the kids drinking session book somewhere else !!! But if you want a good FAMILY holiday where like us the kids are tired from daily activities and are fast asleep by 11 or 12 at night so you and the missis can chill on the patio with a glass of vino !!!!:-) This is the spot !!!!!
Regards
Daniel
Dublin ,Ireland .
Palmeras 18 :-)

Stayed: July 2014
15  Thank Daniel C
SandsBeachLanzarote, Public Relations Manager at Sands Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you for your review.

Wow! What can we say - You have said it all. We are so pleased that you all had a great family holiday as this is what creates wonderful childhood memories for you and your children. This is what we are happy to be achieving every day.

We are happy that you all enjoyed our food and our facilities and there was something to suit everyone of every age.

We sincerely thank you for this review as it is exactly what Sands Beach Resort is all about. We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,427)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Robyn Van Persie look alike at reception was exceptionally helpful. Any problem we had, he and a middle aged LADY went out of their way to help. A very spacious lovely Hotel divided into areas of 30 odd apts with own swimming pool, accommodation very nice and comfortable, better than most. Cleaned extremely well on regular basis plenty of sun loungers. Despite observations (below) I would happily return.
Observations / I would be wary of these but would not put me off going back: Stayed in Apts Canarias, pool gets deep very quickly, restricting play area for kids and parental concerns and cold. Daughter used kids club once and then watched a film instead of playing, before she gave up. Bar at night had lots of kids but only 1 pool table to occupy them. internet very expensive E6 per day E25 pw. Large dogs in complex and dog dirt with so many kids about concerned me

Room Tip: Swimming ability of their children for depth of swimming pools. pool gets deep very quickly. I staye...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank aoifesmec

Thank you for your review we are delighted you enjoyed your holidays.
We have resolved the very serious issue of the dog.

Our Buddy Club is open from 09.30 -17.00 every day. There is a full day programme which our “little guests” can dip in and out of throughout the day or go for the whole day. There is free breakfast at Buddy Club every morning at 09.20. Children can join their friends and Buddy for lunch for €6. We have our mini disco in the Soleil Bar at 20.15 every evening and Buddy is a great dancer!!!
We thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon at Sands Beach Resort.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

As soon as I returned from Sands Beach last year, myself and my boyfriend booked to return this year, with my parents, sister, nieces and nephews in tow!

We booked with Jet2 for a self-catering holiday, but for the sake of just over £100 we upgraded to half board. This was the best move we made regarding the holiday. The food was fantastic! I would go as far to say that it was better than the 5* all inclusive hotels I have stayed in in Turkey and Greece. The food was not repetitive and was constantly being changed. In the mornings there were yoghurts, all kinds of cereals/seeds, fruit (dried & fresh), croissants and pastries, cakes, meats, cheeses, bread, omelettes (made as you wish or there is a prepared Spanish omelette - to die for!) and grilled/fried options. I am the fussiest eater I know and I was never short of choices. There is also a hot drink machine, water and fruit juice available.
In the evenings, each night has a different theme - Spanish, Canaries, Chinese, Italian, Tapas, Tex-Mex, Mexican - and there is a grill option where you can choose your own meat/fish/vegetarian option and they will cook it to your taste. The one qualm - the price of the drinks. The bottled water in which you can help yourself to in the mornings is free, in the evening it will set you back €5.

Antonio was brilliant with my nieces and nephews and he took a shine to my youngest nephew Max who shouted 'Ola Tony' for the whole fortnight in which we stayed. All of the staff at Sands are amazing and attentive and you will never need for anything. Antonio also booked a birthday cake which was personalised for my nephew Harry's 6th birthday and it is possibly the most divine cake I have ever tasted!

We were placed at Plaza Verde - 3 rooms all placed within close proximity - which is brilliant for us adults, but not so great for the children. However, the children were happy to relocate every day to the other pools, for which there are plenty, especially Plaza del Sol.

The rooms are constantly spotless and the cleaners take special care within the rooms to make sure everything is perfect. Rooms are cleaned daily and towels are changed daily, if you wish.

The children with which I travelled are aged 1, 6, 9 and 10. The three older children went to Buddy's Club on one day and they did not enjoy it as they said it was quite babyish and wasn't catered to their needs - although, I don't know whether they disliked it because they wanted to dislike it - we all know what children are like!

I don't wish to say much more as I have previously written a post about Sands Beach, last year. All in all a perfect destination!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank BeccaH1804

Thank you for your review and we are very happy that you and all your family enjoyed your holiday and our half board facilities.
Our breakfasts are legendary at this stage with so much choice on offer to suit every taste and dietary need.
We are so pleased you enjoyed our evening meals as we work hard to create choices for so many different people.

We have passed your comments to Antonio and his staff and we are so happy your nephew enjoyed his birthday at Sands Beach Resort.
Plaza Verde is a 30 second walk from the pool at Sol if you would prefer a children´s pool.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon at Sands Beach Resort.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have stayed here three times in recent years. The complex is nicely laid out and the rooms are spacious and well equipped.

The positives:
Kids club is superb. In fact it is the best kids club we have ever used and far superior to many luxury hotels (including princess yaiza)
Kids disco works very well and all the kids love the mascot Buddy and the certificate presentation at the end of the disco
Pool towel rental scheme and use of free buckets and spades on the beach
Convenient to have a pool just outside your front door
Very good shop onsite which stays open til midnight

The negatives
No air conditioning
Cleaning of apartments can be hit and miss. We have experienced excellent cleaners and some less efficient ones
Kids playground needs some sort of shade over the equipment
Pools are very cold (even the heated one down at the Mai Tai bar
Some apartments have insecure bedroom windows which could easily be prised open as the bar to prevent this is missing (this is a worry if you have kids sleeping there)
Staff at reception are very slow at check in and very rude in general. We thought about booking again this year (swayed by the excellent kids club) but the memory of the reception staff turned us off.
Pool towel rental opening hours are erratic. I tried to return two towels on my final day but it was closed. I ended up having to bring them home and forfeit my 30 euro even though I didn't want them. Reception staff would not assist when I tried to explain about the office being closed. I wonder if they would refund me if I returned them next time I go there because despite my comments I may consider returning there at some stage due to the wonderful kids club (but only when my memory of the rude reception staff has faded!).

Room Tip: Be careful with the beachfront rooms as about 10% of them are facing into a wall around the lagoon a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank WicklowIreland

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry you felt you had a bad experience with our reception. We have sent you 2 messages seeking information from you regarding the issues you had. We can go no further in the investigation of these issues until we receive information from you. We can only appeal to you to send us the information we need and we will then update this reply. As it stands now, we have no idea of your particular issues other than the towel issue and we would like to learn from your review. Please contact us.

In answer to your question, Yes if you bring back the towels we will of course refund your deposit.

We would like to make it clear that we value our repeat guests.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to hear from you soon and we will be able to update this answer.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Firstly I should say that we enjoyed our holiday and that we would return to Lanzarote.
There are many positives to this resort - it’s clean, the lagoon is fantastic and the kayaks are a great idea; the tennis court is free to use you book a timeslot and pay €30 deposit for the equipment which is refunded on return; staff are very friendly and dealt with minor issues with lights etc promptly. The swing park is aimed more at younger children but there is a great playpark next to the hotel for older kids with a public tennis court, multi-use sports pitch and beach volleyball court. The hotel also has a luggage store room if a late checkout room is not possible and a courtesy room was available to shower and change in if you have a late transfer. Las Cucharas Shopping Centre is about a 10 minute walk, it’s probably about a mile walk to the main restaurant areas which wasn’t a problem for us as we like a stroll of an evening.

However there are a few issues that we feel should be highlighted to others before deciding on their holiday. There are 2 major points that we were really unhappy about - the first was that we believed that paying to stay at a hotel/resort meant that you and the other guests had exclusive use of that resort - this is not the case at Sands Beach. There are many areas of the complex that are open to the public to use and basically this means that ANYONE could be wandering around that is not actually a guest at Sands Beach. This would appear to be the case as in response to a previous review, Sands Beach responded that the wristband required for swimming at Plaza Verde was introduced to ensure only Sands Beach guests were using the pool. However we would like to know how they can be certain that only guests are using the other Plazas or Lagoon? More than once we heard people who had come in off the beachfront for a wander about to see what the complex was like! Also, the front door at reception was locked between a certain period during the night, as was the bridge at the Mai Tai but the other pagoda-style bridge was open constantly - there was no way of securing access here. Yes, they have 24hr security - one person cycling round on a bike between all plazas isn’t really adequate though if the resort is not secure at night. (On the subject of cycling, we’re not sure it’s adequate to have only 1 lifeguard cycling around to cover the 7 pools and Lagoon on the complex either).

The other point that we were unhappy with was we were unaware that Sands Beach previously operated as a timeshare resort (Lanzarote Beach Club). As such there are apartment owners within the resort and although this in itself is not a problem, the fact that they are allowed pets on the complex is something we would liked to have known in advance. Both my kids are afraid of dogs yet someone had one on the plaza we were staying, not only that but for health reasons one of my children we keep apart from dogs. Moreover we don’t expect to go on holiday to a resort to be kept awake at 1.30am by a dog barking which is echoing around the whole plaza! Not good.

We arrived at night but to no welcome drink as mentioned in other reviews. This was offered to some guests at certain check-ins (a table set up with glasses) but not others so perhaps this is specific to certain tour operators customers? We checked in and were issued with directions to our apartment and given ‘Your Information Booklet’. Upon reading through this our excitement at arriving at our holiday destination began to fade and we began to wonder if we were even allowed to enjoy ourselves! Warnings about the behaviour of children/teenagers accompanying you and a list of rules and regulations such as no ball games & inflatables in the pool or surrounding area, no reserving of sunbeds, no use of radios outside apartments, no washing lines on apartment terraces etc etc. However after a few days we realised that none of this is actually enforced, many people had washing lines up, there were inflatables in the pool that didn’t seem to belong to anyone but all the kids used and the reserving of sunbeds is a major issue! This was a particular problem at the lagoon, many sunloungers left lying unused for large parts of the day with towels on them and you are left unable to use one when taking your kids down to the lagoon. Not good and from another response to a previous review, Sands Beach response was that they got so many negative reviews last year due to removing towels they don’t do it anymore! So this year perhaps you will have loads of negative reviews for failing to deal with the issue and why put out a list of ‘rules and regulations’ telling people not to do it when you are not going to take any action anyway! People are also using the apartment towels (and not the pool towels for hire) to reserve the sunbeds and this is something else you are told not to do in the ‘rules and regulations’. We found getting a sunlounger at the pool in our plaza easy enough (60 sunbeds) but not so easy in other plazas - the plaza next door (Palmeras) had only 23 sunbeds. Surely if everyone on the resort can use any pool then there should be an equal number of sunlongers around each pool.

We stayed in Plaza Canarias in a standard apartment. It was clean enough but tired and dated and not adequate enough if you were truly ‘self-catering’ so should not be described as such (2 hob-rings, no oven and no proper pots). However this may be more a fault of the tour operator as when we booked we had the option of a standard apartment or a beachside apartment but chose pool-side as the majority of us prefer pool over beach. However we were unaware that the beachfront apartments are to a higher standard and note this year that the tour operator offers the superior apartments also - we were unaware these even existed until we got here! If you truly wish to self-cater (which we didn’t thankfully) choose a superior apartment. We also noticed that all the apartments on other plazas had barbeque pits but those on Canarias don’t.

Pools are very cold, Canarias pool in particular. This plaza is an extremely windy area of the resort and sounds like you are sitting through gale-force winds! The pool at the Mai Tai is supposed to be heated but to be honest we didn’t notice any difference. The warmest water was in the lagoon. Also, the Mai Tai spa and waterfall did not work at all while we were there.

We found a lot of sunbeds were broken and some of the patio furniture too. Parts of the complex are tired and need updating but to be fair to Sands Beach this could be an ongoing process as it’s clear Plaza Del Sol has been refurbished. Someone comes round to tidy up around the pool areas at 5.30ish, you feel you are being rushed away from the pool as sunbeds are being cleared up around about you. In other hotels we have stayed in this is done later in the evening. Once the pool guy had gone people were coming back out of their apartments and sitting by the pool again!

The pull-down beds should also be better described by tour operators as we expected a sofa bed. These beds seem to have survived from the timeshare days and are no mean feat to bring down. Fine for us as we are able-bodied but perhaps not so easy for more elderly guests and not possible to be left down as they block access to the kitchen area.

Wifi - Sands Beach this is too expensive in this day and age. €6 per day, €15 for 3 days and €25 per week or €1 for 10 minutes in the Internet Cafe - our roaming charges with our mobile operator were cheaper! However there are plenty of bars and restaurants that offer free wifi and great signal with the ones we used.

Finally, Rosemary who books the excursions is great. Very informative and easy to book trips through. There are Monday/Friday welcome meetings with Rosemary but we didn’t know about these until we happened to be browsing through tripadvisor and saw it on a reply to a recent review! We went down to where Rosemary sits and found a notice about it on her desk but it hadn’t been there 2 days previously when we had gone to book the trips. A subsequent wall notice and leaflets appeared but perhaps these would be better handed out at check-in as not everyone will book excursions but may still attend the welcome meeting to learn about the local area. If you are booking excursions, the prices offered within the hotel are reasonable but do check you won’t get them cheaper outside - for instance, the Fuerteventura express costs €29 adults and €20 kids but outside the hotel you can book with the excursion company direct for €25 adults and €12 kids.

It is rather ironic that we learnt more about what the resort was offering from Trip Advisor when we were at the resort rather than from the resort itself. It would have been handy to know that we could get clothes dryers from the hotel, but the rule book only says no washing lines.

All in all we still enjoyed our holiday albeit that Costa Teguise is too windy a resort for us! However in our opinion the resort is not a 4 star as it currently stands, some areas perhaps but others most definitely not and issues such as lack of /reserving/broken/dirty sunloungers should not need to be pointed out to a 4 star resort.

Room Tip: Opt for a superior or beachfront apartment.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
12  Thank kirkykid
SandsBeachLanzarote, Public Relations Manager at Sands Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your holiday despite all your major issues with our hotel.

We must point out that anyone who is coming to Sands Beach Resort: Please be sure that the room you booked is the room that is suitable to you and your family´s needs. Whether you book with a tour operator or directly, if you have any doubts please see our website where all the room types are described with pictures and videos or contact our reservations department. This ensures that you have the room that is suitable to your family needs.

On the very serious issue of the dog, your comment has been noted and action is ongoing and we expect a satisfactory outcome in the next few days.
While we encourage and we welcome our guests opinions there are some serious factual inaccuracies in this review and it is important that we correct the inaccuracies in this review.
Sands Beach Resort is not “open to the public”. Our Mai Tai bar is open to the public and many hotels have bars open to the public all over the world. Many people come to Sands Beach Resort to have a look around. These people approach reception for brochures and in some cases ask to see the different room types. If we have rooms free we do accompany the people to see the different room types and we make no apology for this.
At the many entrance points of our hotel we have CCTV cameras in place. We are sorry if you did not see it. Had you approached us about your concerns we would have been happy to allay your worries. We would have had our security show you through our total security. Any security of our hotel is set up in consultation with our security firm and the local police. There is a very low crime rate in Lanzarote. We do however urge our guests to hire a room safe and put all valuables in the safe. We also ask that all guests lock the doors of their apartments before they sleep at night.
There were many people who wanted to use our 25m pool to train and this was a fact and we had to deal with it through the bracelet system.
We want to assure our guests past and present that there is not “ANYONE” walking around our hotel. We refute this allegation. If you felt this was the case you should have spoken to our Management or staff to have your fears allayed or reported these people you suspected for your own safety and the safety of others. There were no incidents involving non guests or guests in our hotel.
The current owners and management of Sands Beach Resort have no relation to past running and management of the hotel in any format.
Our information and rules in relation to parents responsibility for their children was sadly necessary due to incidents in our hotel over the years. If you read back through the reviews over the years and you will see why they became necessary. It is a sad reflection of life but sadly they have become necessary. We are sure they do not apply to you.
If sunbeds are needed on any plaza all anyone has to do is call reception on 1210 and you will have extra beds immediately on any plaza.
The cleaning of the plazas is vital. The cleaner has to start somewhere and there is no onus on anyone to actually get up and leave their sunbed. We would have far more complaints if we did not clean the pool areas. We are sorry you felt the need to leave.
We have passed your comment to Rosemary. We would like to point out that you have made an error in relation to your price comparison of the Fuerteventura Express. Last Minute do not sell the Fuerteventura Express that is why we do not use it. They sell Fuerteventura Shopping. That is a ferry on a Friday only and you only have a few hours in Fuerteventura at the market. This costs €25 and we do not sell it, as it is too short to allow our guests ample time in Fuerteventura and it also means our guests have to bring their passports on this trip and it and is something we try to avoid as our passports are important. We use the Lineas Martima Romero Fuerteventura Express as it goes 6 days per week and you get longer in Fuerteventura and you do not need to bring your passport. This costs €29. After years of experience we have decided that this trip offers our guests the longest time in Fuerteventura,the widest possible range of days and the best value for money. So we can reassure our guests that they can book with us for the best value and cheapest excursions. We have checked this out thoroughly.
Rosemary has only started to hold welcome meetings in the last 2 weeks.
All in all we thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in plaza sol. The accomodation was basic but absolutely fine as we didn't do much more than make a sandwich for lunch there. Pull down bed which worked out fine also. Pool right outside front door and never a shortage of sunbeds.
We didn't do full board but we did eat in the restaurant a few times. Both the breakfast buffet and evening buffet were of a high standard with a wide variety of options. There was entertainment in the bar most nights. All the staff were very professional and friendly.
It's on the edge of town but not a major setback as taxis only 2-3 euros. The standard of restaurants in Costa teguise itself was very high with a very nice relaxed family friendly atmosphere throughout - far better than most places in either Spain, the algarve or France where we have visited in the past.
Few things maybe the resort could deal with.
1. Drying facilities for clothes. There are no drying facilities in the apartments. No clothes horses or external lines are allowed. We could not put up our outdoor umbrella as it kept being blown over by the wind. They tell you to use the dryers in the laundry provided -which is ok for when you do a full laundry wash but not for endless drying of swimwear several times a day.
2. Taxis - figured our after a few days the hotel won't use the local taxis. They use a small local company that are mostly unavailable - was told twice when I asked at reception that a taxi would take up to an hour. There is a taxi rank down the road always with several taxis always waiting. Actually anywhere on the island the local teguise taxis are readily available and great value.
So its ridiculous that the hotel can't provide a taxi service fit for purpose - a taxi service from a hotel is a basic fundamental expected service - you guys really need to sort this out especially as you are right at the edge of town.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank edmannion

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your holiday.
Our hotel is a 7 minute walk from the first shopping centre. C.C. Las Cucharas. This shopping centre has a number of good and well known bars and restaurants. The main square the Plaza de Pueblo Marinero is a fifteen minute walk in the same direction. There is a small local market in this square every Wednesday and Friday night from 18.00-22.00 and there is a great atmosphere. There are also lovely bars and restaurants in this square. As you say there is always a taxi for €3.
We agree with you about the high standard of restaurants in Costa Teguise. Our hotel holds an information meeting every Monday and Friday morning at 11.00 in the Soleil Bar in reception to point you in the right direction. Everyone is welcome.
If you ask at reception they will have a clothes line delivered to your room for you at no cost.
Sands Beach Resort apologise to our guests for the inconvenience caused by the local Taxi service. We had an issue with local taxis for three days. The taxis are a public service and this hotels right to offer our guests all transport options has to be paramount. Following talks, common sense has prevailed and everything is back to normal. Teguise taxis are only available in the municipality of Teguise, as are other taxis only available in their municipalities. For example San Bartolome taxis are the only ones allowed serve the airport without first having a drop off there. All the taxis are the same price within their municipality and are controlled.
We thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you in Sands Beach Resort again.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Before I start my review I want to say a big, big thank you to all the hard working staff, from the cleaners to the reception, everyone has a smile on there faces and always greet you politely. But a massive thanks go to the staff at the Hacienda Restaurant and Mia Tia bar. To Antonio, Christina, Sue and all the rest of the wonderful team. Thank you for making our family so very,very welcome, truly fantastic.
Right about the Sands Beach. We stayed there last year at the Plaza Verde and again this year only this year there was nine of us five adults and four children ages from ten to eighteen months. The apartments are very spacious with a fridge freezer,oven even a dishwasher. The resort was great for them as the pools are quite shallow which was great. Around the pool areas the flooring is tiled and when wet can get slippery, quite a few children slipped on these and some comments from people said it was the hotels fault, but in fact the children who did fall that i seen not one was wearing any type of shoe. It is up to us as parents and grand parents to make sure that shoes are worn. The Lagoon is fantastic only about a mtr deep with canoes which are free to use, also by the Lagoon there are toys,inflatables and other thing that children can play with as holiday makers have left behind as we did. If you are going half-board the food in the Hacienda was great, from "full English" breakfast if you want it to continental, fresh fruit, cereals. The evening meals were just as good and HOT!!!!! grilled steak,fish,chicken all grilled to your liking, even the kids loved it, which takes some doing. Would we go back definitely, but not for a couple of years because like i said it is the second time, but definitely would return because all-in-all the Sands Beach is Home From Home. Again thank you..

Room Tip: The Lagoon is great form family's as were the apartments with small pools. The Plaza Verde is mo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank pablo1512
SandsBeachLanzarote, Public Relations Manager at Sands Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you for your review.
People can write reviews but the greatest compliment that you can pay us is to return to our hotel. We are delighted you and all your family enjoyed your holiday and our hotel and its facilities.

We will pass your comments to Antonio and all his team at the Hacienda and the Mai Tai. They are very much appreciated.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your meals at our Hacienda Restaurant . Our great breakfasts are legendary. There is something for everyone no matter what their tastes or diet. We would advise anyone booking to come to Sands Beach Resort to look at the option of breakfast as it means you do not eat again during the course of the day.

Thank you for your review and for considering our hotel a "Home Away from Home" this makes us very proud,. We will pass your kind remarks to all the staff.

We hope we will see you soon.