“Do yourself a favour - Give the Sands Beach Resort a miss”
Review of Sands Beach Resort

Sands Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Uk
“Do yourself a favour - Give the Sands Beach Resort a miss”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My daughter (13) and I stayed at the Sands Beach Resort during the May school holiday week. I have to say I was quite disappointed. We arrived around 10pm, check in was good but there was nowhere except the bar to buy water which cost 1.5E for a tiny bottle!! Having read rather mixed reviews on Trip Advisor I did contact Hotelopia (who I booked the accommodation with) to request an updated room. I also requested (back in Dec 2007) a late check out if possible. We stayed in Plaza Verde 57 (upstairs) and by the look of the other villas this looked like one of the more desirable areas as the pool was bigger by far and quieter (for the most part). The room was huge - pleasantly surprising, plenty of space and seating was no problem. There were chairs for the balcony table, a round wooden table with dining chairs as well as stools for the breakfast bar. The kitchen area was well stocked and the cooker/fridge/microwave/kettle/toaster looked like they were new. There were yellow pool towels and sufficient bath towels for out use. The separate bathroom/wash basins and vanity area was a nice touch and plenty of natural light came through the skylights. The villa could sleep 6 - a double bedroom, pull down bed in glass fronted cupboard and bed settee. Had major problem with bedroom though. 1st night noticed odd smell from bed, was too tired to investigate and thought maybe it was the sheets having been washed in amonia. Maids changed them immediately after call to reception. Next day no change - investigated the smell and the mattress stank to high heaven of stale urine - revolting. Asked at reception for new mattress which arrived 1-2 hrs later but had no apology. Late check out unavailable (which I had to wait until day before departure to discover) but courtesy rooms available for free. Was pleased to discover that our villa was much better than the ones used at that time for showering. The pool area needed updating - green felt-type flooring material which had seen better days and some broken plastic sunbeds (mattresses at an additional cost). Also pool was freezing despite weather being glorious. Heard many other families unhappy with their accommodation too. Seems like the mattress problem we experienced was minor in comparison. Didn't bother with entertainment - heard the bingo when we walked back to resort - bingo caller unfamiliar with some numbers which would have been problematic! On site supermarket good and not over-priced. Was pleasantly surprised with sunlotion prices - well below expectations. Fresh bread and croissants a good buy. Also water very reasonable. I'm not a fussy traveller - i've recently stayed in 2* in Kusadasi to 5* in Sharm el Sheikh but don't bother with the Sands Beach Resort. It might look good on the outside and in the reception but there must be better places to stay. It's top 2* at the most. Go there with an open mind by all accounts but don't go there expecting anything marvellous. Certainly don't pay much for a holiday there or guaranteed you will be disappointed.

• Liked — big villa (Verde 57 was)
  • Disliked — urine soaked mattress - revolting
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (947)
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed July 27, 2008

If you are looking for a great standard of accommodation, great family entertainment this is your place. We stayed in the Verde plaza which had the biggest pool (probably also the coldest!) but we also used the nearby sol pool. Our first week was slightly quieter and there was absolutely no problem finding a sunbed although it got busier the 2nd week. The little private beach was great and very calm both our 5 and 2 year old loved it, particularly trying to catch the fish. The 5 year old attended the mini club which was excellent. The same entertainment crew appeared at night with the kids disco and often the family shows they put on with the same gusto that they had 1st thing with the kids....I take my hat off to them. Particular mention should go to Suzi, Peter and Dmitri who really did do a fantastic all round job.

The apartments were very spacious and clean and lots of wardrobe space. The kitchen was also well equipped. Having beach towels supplied was also an added bonus. The fans in the ceiling of the living area and bedroom were sufficient for us although it did get warmer the 2nd week so for some people they may need to hire an aircon unit from reception.
Reception staff were very helpful (I have seen them criticised in other reviews) and also friendly. I would definitely like to return here and have recommended to friends.
If you like waves then the la Cucheras beach is for you, there were loads of wind surfers which was amazing to watch. My oldest child (and hubby) loved the strong waves but my youngest was scared by the noise.
Costa Teguise is a very windy resort but I liked this and it cooled things down and made the heat more bearable (although I did have to pin my hat on!).
Eating out was generally OK; we never ate in Sands Beach. Most places were fairly similar and should be told that kids don’t just eat pizza, fish fingers and chicken nuggets..All with chips but we got round that by ordering from the main menus and sharing. Liked the Portobello Italian, wee bit pricier but nice food and service. Also tried the all you can eat and drink buffet a los rocos (I think that was the name) just along from sands beach on the right in the Marquee. It was good value....although went up in price the 2nd week of our hols!

• Liked — Space and Cleanliness, Beach and pools
  • Disliked — cold pools!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed July 18, 2008

What a disappointment Sands Beach Resort was. The overall appearance of the outdoor areas is nice, clean, comfortable. However, the villas are less than acceptable. Could have cried when I saw our accommodation. The bathroom was horrible with rust around the bath. The fridge/freezer in the kitchen area was disgusting. There needs to investment made to upgrade these villas to 2008 standards. Wouldn't go back to this resort and it doesn't deserve to be a 4 star resort. I would rate it as between a very good 2 star and a bad 3 star.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank scottieUk
The Netherlands
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed at this resort from 29th June till July 12th, in villa Playa del Sol no 34.
One word....... FANTASTIC. Please ignore the bad reviews as they were totally unfounded and probably made by very fussy people looking for bad things to say about this resort. We were there with my in-laws, my wife and 3 kids ages 3, 5, and 12. we all had a blast with loads of stuff to do. If you want a relaxing yet active holiday this is the place to go. Choose from a variety of organised activities such as.... sailing, football, shooting, water-polo, tennis and much more to keep the calories burning. At nights there were various entertainments for youg and old.
I found the staff very friendly, helpfull, and courteous to our needs.

If I had a bad thing to say about our visit it would be the inflated prices in the supermarkets... which totally had nothing to do with the resort.

Would go back in a heart beat.

Ashton,

Holland

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
chichester
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Me, my husband and our 12 year old son stayed 10 nights over Christimas, we come to Lanazote alot but normally stay in Playa Blanca but we got this hotel from a luxury website and facied a change. First impressions were ok but we went to 3 villas until we were happy as they were quite tatty and to small for 3 of us. Some of the villas are owned and these ones seemed better. This wasn't an expensive hotel but looked so lovely on the internet we choose it. The real problem was the other guests, There were alot of families, alot of swearing and kids throwing patio furniture in the pool. It was differcult to wear a bikini as there was alot of staring from middle aged men and if you said "morning" people would just stare or ignor you even though 99% of the guests were English! We left on the 27th December but packed up and had Christmas Day and Boxing day in a beautiful 5 star which I booked a couple of day prior as I could not stand the place any longer. Not for us!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the other guests
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank maxhenry
manchester
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stayed in the Sands Apts from the 16 June to 30 June.
When we arrived at the Sands beach I was very please with the overall appearance of the resort. Checking in was quick and reception staff were efficient and friendly. ( As they were through out the holiday) Sands Beach is a truly beautiful resort to look at. Our apartments were clean well designed and spacey. We even had two sinks to wash in which I'm sure cuts down on arguments between the sexes. Bathrooms were clean and had enough towels to keep even the Germans happy. Although there was only two of us in our apartment there was enough beds to sleep seven. Yep you heard me right seven. There was a drop down bed from the kitchen area which was brilliant to use if your flat mate snores like in my case. And is also good for sneaking in late on and crashing on should you come in late and not wish to wake others sleeping. Apartments came with microwave, kettle, toaster, hob, hairdryer, and iron as standard. Plus all the plates and cutlery were well stocked and clean.
A TV was provided too and among the channels was a movie channel in English showing a good selection of films from 8am to midnight every day.
Rooms were cleaned 6 times a week. It has been said before in other reviews that parts of the resort needed updating and this is true. And from what I was told it is a on going process. But this should not really spoil your stay as unless your use to 5 star treatment.
Pools and their areas are plentiful and there is lots of room to spread out.
The water in the pools are a bit colder than normal but once your in you easily adjust.
Sands Beach is a very big resort and people with mobility difficulties may find the distances a bit to much. But there are ramps everywhere so if your thinking of hiring a mobility scooter as we did for my dad you will have no problem getting around. Although leaving Sands Beach is another option as the kerbs are pretty bad for driving up and down and you will find yourself driving up and down the roads as my dad did.
If you can get an apt on the resorts beach do so as its the best place in the resort for a view and families. Plus the resorts main pool and bar area known as the Mai Tai is situated here and is a thing of beauty. Food is good, service is friendly and the whole area is lively.
The main beach is not 50 yards behind it and was always empty. Fishing can be attempted on this beach too as there is a jetty to be used. So bring your rods guys and give the wife a rest.
There is entertainment during the day provide by the resort and they will keep your kids and adults who are up for it busy.Usual stuff ball games, shooting, face painting but they also don't pester you to join in all the time so if your after a quiet one don't worry.
Our only complaint of the resort was the evening bar. The only way to access it was via the stairs. Which I'm sure does seem a problem to you but to my dad it was a nightmare it had no bannister either and this was also a problem for people with prams as you either had to carry them up to it or leave them in reception. Please complain to the manager as we did it has been a recurring problem so the staff in the resort tell us and only by people bringing this to managers attention will anything change. But please do not let this put you off. The entertainment in the bar was good for kids and the staff up for a laugh.
The on site supermarket was decent some goods were a little pricey but not all. And the Netto down the road ( turn left out of reception walk 5 min on main road) was convenient and similar in products from UK.
There is a very good Internet room 12 PC to choose from 1 euro 10 Min's and a games rooms downstairs which seemed well stocked but I never used.
I can't recommend Sands Beach enough.
The style the design the people were all top notch for me. Would go again too.

Costa tequise itself was a 3 euro taxi ride from resort apts or a 15 to 20 min walk there is not one street were everything is.So most of the nightlife is spread out in to squares and alleyways.
Good places to eat are The Waterfront on the front over looking the sea very good food best in the resort I'd say. The Lighthouse good food again and safe. Place to avoid is the Very large Tex Mex place on the beach front very poor food in there.
Places to drink are many The Shamrock, Lighthouse, Saxos, The Lively Ladies Bar, most places really depends on your taste the resort is quiet and their wasn't many people in the whole resort so it may feel that your in a bad resort. But bookings are down for most resorts across Europe or so my travel agent sister tells me so don't be disappointed.
Really to find any nightlife stay at Sands beach or wander the streets you will find some great out of the way Spanish bars and some friendly British bars.
Enjoy I know I did.

• Liked — It had style.
  • Disliked — The Bugs.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank karl4
ireland
Reviewed July 6, 2008

After spending 2 weeks here from the 14/06 to the 24/06 I most say I was quite disappointed.I was not advised that it was unsuitable for those with walking difficulties and with the number of steps to get to the beach front apartments it became hard work.
It was also very annoying that there was an awful amount of ants and if you hit the skirting boards any where they appeared in large numbers.The attitude of the staff when informed of ants and cockroatches was that they did not care.We were not the only people to have this problem.For a resort that is sold as a 4 star it was an awful let down!!!!

1 Thank lucyloo1ireland