“Very very disappointing-shame on Thompson/First choice” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Lanzarote Mar

Occidental Lanzarote Mar
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Hull
“Very very disappointing-shame on Thompson/First choice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have always booked min of 4 star hotels for my family summer hols. I must say that this hotel falls well below what we should expect when booking 4 star. I totally agree with 38HelenF_15 review. The broucher suggests a large pool area, which is simply misleading (nice lens photography :you should work as estate agencies!). There is one main family pool area which during the day is surrounded in every square inch by occupied sunbed with litter everywhere. The smell of junk food filed the air. The other so called pools are just splash pools suitable for toddlers and one adult only pool (away from the main area). It took my young son about 20 minutes to explore everything the hotel had to offer and then looked deflated. The hotel is grubby with chewing gum under tables, filthy chairs, wires hanging from the piano bar ceiling and staff who never smile. My so called superior family room was advertised as having a wii but when we explained it was not there the hotel said they had upgraded us to this room so we forfeited the games console. This was a flat out lie as we booked a superior room in England. There was no table on any of the balconies and the hotel said "we don't do tables". The pull out bed for my second children was a tatty MDF box on wheels that was rolled under a cheap sofa bed. The rooms look tired.The Air con makes noise but does little else.There is a distinct lack of quality around the hotel. The all inclusive finishes at 11pm which after experiencing the entertainment (like gate crashing a back street social club) was the last straw. We lasted one day before requesting a moving (thanks to Amber in the UK at Thompson and shame on our local unhelpful rep.) . In conclusion, if you have experienced 4 star like the Princess in Maspalomas, Riu in Cape Verde, or the holiday villages then you will understand my dismay at this rating. I must say as consumers we should be more critical of the stretching by holiday providers on the hotel ratings system. It is suppose to help us make informed decisions not to help them sell us something that clearly is not what we are wanting to purchase.

6 Thank holidayspeak2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

we stayed at the Barceló from 8th to 22nd august ,I cant believe some of the rubbish people write about the hotel .I did have a few gripes ,which were no air conditioning in the piano bar and the entertainment venue ,and no free wifi . I found the staff very helpful at the reception always polite .the bar staff worked very hard and are a credit to the hotel ,especially the lovely lad at the adults only bar and the piano bar ,just take some time to chat with them and see for yourself ,we went with first choice/thomsons Vicky was very cheerful ,but don't book trips with reps ,if you go to reception and ask for a brochure ,they will book you trips with last minute .com much cheaper ,we went to teguise market for 8uros for 2 of us .Thomson were charging 32uro only difference you go to pirate museum ,we were given a choice of times to go ,we decided to go at 8.30 you get an English guide and some local history ./landmarks .it is a good time to go as you get 1hr in the market before the crowds arrive ,and there is an amazing British bakery that sells homemade cakes like carrot cake /Victoria sponge /English tea .we went on the catalanza cruise well worth the money .I think the hotel does its best to please everyone .their is the piano bar and adult pool for a bit of relaxation ,and those with family the main pool and butlins bar as I called it .while we were there I witnessed arguments over reserving sun beds poolside ,so a note was posted to everyone telling them they would be removed .so next morning the sun bed hoggers were out early sat on their beds even tho the sun didn't come up till after 8.30 /9am .it was so funny watching them .we never had a problem with beds as we went to adult pool and you could get one anytime of day .or you could always get a bed on the upper terrace ,I go on hol to relax not get up at god knows what time to grab a sunbed .sad people saying I do because he does .they need to get a life ,I enjoyed our time here .but probly wouldn't return as the location was to remote for us ...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lhappyhols
Knutsford, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We ended up at this hotel, as our original choice was overbooked. Admittedly this didn't get our holiday off to a great start, however, it took another down turn when we were sent to the Barceló.
To summarise, we only stayed from 11pm on the Monday night to mid day on the Tuesday before we thankfully got transferred but considering it was supposed to be a 4 star.....
We asked for food on arrival ie just a sandwich, as we hadn't eaten since earlier in the afternoon, but were told in no uncertain terms, food service stopped at 10pm.
The en suite bathroom was grubby looking and tiles were cracked.
The air conditioning in our room was so noisy it was like sleeping on an airport runway.
There was no kettle or facilities for making a drink or even keeping one cold as there was no fridge.
The bar staff were just ignorant and served people at the bar who arrived there during the time I'd been stood there, not a smile in sight!
Overall the whole place looked like somewhere offenders may be locked up in, the décor was dingy and shabby and looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the 1980's which is probably why the lighting was kept to a minimum!!
I wouldn't have left our dog there and couldn't wait to get out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 38HelenF_15
Sutton Coldfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Having stayed at the Barceló Varadero in Tenerife we knew how this type of hotel works but the Lanzarote was a better standard.
Pools are great. However they say they have 5 pools - one is in the Barcy club and just a splash pool. My kids are 11 and 7 and loved the 3 pools we had access too (the other pool is adults only) The slides were great and kept them occupied and also the tipping bucket in the kids area.
We had a standard family room which was really spacious, quiet, we weren't overlooked and suited us for the amount of time we intended on being in the room. Air con was a bit ineffectual though.
Pool bar was really relaxed - entertainment bar was great - or the Atlantico bar was nice for a pre dinner drink or some more relaxed music in the evening
again though lack of air con in the entertainment bar - the entertainment staff were constantly dripping with sweat when performing.
The entertainment staff - what can I say - they work so hard - day time activities from mini golf tournaments, aqua aerobics the inflatable climbing wall and human table football and then at night putting on very professional performances - Ricardo was brilliant as Michael Jackson. They all got involved and did a really good job. Audience participation for Mr or Miss Barceló or Man V Women or Mr & Mrs watch out if you don't want to get involved!!
The food in the restaurant was very varied - if you didn't like one thing you try another - so much to choose from. Always lots of fruit and salads and cold meats too. Snack bar food was simple but served a purpose if you didn't want to got to the restaurant.
Love the self service bar again. Also the fact that you could have cava at breakfast if you wanted - or at any other point in the day up to 11pm!!
I used the serviced bar quite a lot as they made up a good sangria - still all inclusive. Staff were really friendly and looked after you.
Very relaxed.
Good area - nice walk down to the town along the promenade but if you didn't fancy that as it is quite a long way the free hourly shuttle bus was great.
Have a walk to Playa de Jablillo and take some bread to go and stand in the sea and feed the fishes - a great experience - take your snorkels it is worth it.
Had a lovely time - would I go back to Lanzarote? - not sure - but if I did I would certainly revisit the Barceló . x

3 Thank Clare B
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Barceló Lanzarote would not have been our first choice as we normally travel as a couple and the hotel is geared more for the family, as we were in a group aged 12-75 the all inclusive option was best for kids as they can pick and choose whatever and whenever they want to eat and drink and it wont drain your bank account.
There is a haven of tranquillity 'the adult only pool,' this provided a chance to escape the chaotic main pool area, you had to pay for drinks at the adult pool bar but it was worth every cent for the peace and quiet.
Food quality was very good, the main meat and fish dishes were cooked as needed as was the breakfast, - so much better than pre cooked re heated food as is the norm for most hotels with higher ratings and prices.
Drink quality was dubious, local tasteless spirits and mixers and flat cheap beer which didn't deter most from pouring it down their throats, - the shop outside the hotel sold most bottled beers and fizzy drinks if you want the real thing!
The room was ok, separate bedroom, lounge and bathroom with adequate facilities, nothing special, clean and just somewhere to sleep and await the next day of your holiday.
Costa Teguise town is a pleasant 30 minute walk away, there are many bars and restaurants and a lovely beach to spend a day or two messing about in the sea, the hotel provides a free bus if you aren't up for the walk!
Escape the madness and go on a few trips, the all day south island tour with Customer Travel includes lunch and a great tour of the Timanfaya National Park - Volcano's and stunning scenery.
The water park with loads of slides and pools is also worth a visit and lunch is included if you book with Thomas Cook.
Overall a good get what you pay for holiday destination.

3 Thank kcsun23
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I can't understand how people can slag this hotel off. We paid a little extra and stayed in a superior family suite as we did last year. Room very clean, fresh linen & towels regularly. Entertainment team worked tirelessly morning, noon & night to entertain kids and adults and always had a smile on their faces. The pool bar was always well stocked with food, drinks, cups & ice cream. (not sure why some people have said this wasn't the case) there were only a couple of occasions when we had to wait for more food to come out which was no more then 5 mins and given that were only 2 people working the bar all day I think that's a pretty good turn around! (Some people have no patience!) evening entertainment was all tongue in cheek sometimes slapstick comedy but it was all part of it and was funny. The entrainment team worked hard all night getting everyone up dancing and getting everyone involved. Somebody mentioned not being able to get a drink (even water) after 11pm. It does say in the brochure that the bar is only open until 11pm. After the bar was shut we went over to the pool bar to fill our bottles up with water as the coolers were still full and ice cold. Couldn't fault the restaurant at all, plenty of variety for breakfast, lunch & dinner time and staff were always friendly. All in all we had a fab 2nd time there and will definitely be going back. Some people need to remember that it's rated 4star not 5!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Skates2609
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Ok I'm not sure why people slag this hotel off so bad all I can say is maybe there a bit fussy I have stayed in a lot of 5* . We stayed at the hotel last week for a week me my partner and our 5 year old little girl we checked in to the hotel about 9 pm check in was very smooth no problems at all we were shown on the map were our room was and told that the restaurant was open until 10 so we could get something to eat we were in block 1 room 1106 we had booked a superior room the room was very specious beds really comfortable the view was not the best from the balcony we looked over trees but how often are you in the room we had a sofa that was turned in to bed which was not really suitable she ended up in our bed the next day I went down and told reception and they put a full size bed which was great the problem sorted straight away the towels etc changed every day maids always said hello.
The beds we didn't find a problem always got beds before 11am even later they never let you put your towels down until 8 AM so people saying you had be up 6.30 - 7 am not sure what hotel they were staying in if you wanted a bed around the pool they were hard to get but it's like every hotel everybody wants to be a close as possible but were ever you are you were never far from the pool I mean even if you were right on top of the pool you still wouldn't let your 6 -7 etc year old in the pool on there own well I wouldn't
The entertainment team were amazing they worked very very hard to make both children and adults happy during the day there was always something going on and of a night they were just as good they had the children up dancing for mini disco then the show which all the children sat around the stage watching were good then when that finished they had them doing there dance they did and then a another disco until 12 playing all recent songs and few old ones.
Kids club was great did all painting, colouring, played games had there own pool, play area with slides face panting and the girls were brilliant looked after her felt safe with them with them and they had 2 sessions a day not been to many places that have that.
Now the only problem was the food it was not the best breakfast was great everything you need to start the day off, but lunch and evening meal not too good they had pasta, chips something food the children nuggets n beans they always had fresh fish and meat but that was it really pretty boring and what they had for tea last night u tend to have for lunch but the pool side bar was nice hot dogs burger chips etc the larger was one the best tasted brill and had spirits wine when ever you wanted I loved the idea of pour your own great you didn't have to wait to be served and the only time was when it was getting to 11pm and people stocking up because the AI finished there was a bar man called ALBERTO who worked very very hard and another bar man and girl who worked hard in the entertainment area.

Well I'm sorry to go on for so long I have wrote a few reviews so I hope this helps I tell the truth of what I thought I think negative comments are harsh and people should think before they write but I guess everybody has there own opinions the only reason it wasn't a 5 was the food oh and the hotel was spotless !!!!!!!

7 Thank Emma S
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,371 reviews

Been to Occidental Lanzarote Mar? Share your experiences!