“Loads of steps”

Occidental Lanzarote Mar
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here 14-28 March in Block 1.We paid for a superior room which gave us a comfortable bed with mattress topper,flat screen tv,coffee machine(useless),shower bigger than a pan lid and toiletries.We paid £6extra per night for this room which I feel was about right,to upgrade in resort was 20 euros per night which was way too much.
Our room was on the 3rd floor but the lift only goes to the 2nd floor so climbing the steps with luggage could be a problem .I found the steps throughout the complex an issue and feel it could be a big issue for older people.
We had no problems checking in or finding a table in the dinning room.The food was varied and plentiful,although how they manage to cook meat so tough is beyond me.One time even the chicken and sword fish was too tough to cut.
While appreciating the entertainments team worked hard we felt the entertainment was poor and needed more outside entertainers.
Public areas of the complex are kept very clean.
The staff were always pleasant and helpful and I felt they were overworked.One day I was on my balcony when the maid serviced our room and it took her 6 minutes.Perhaps time issues were why the bathroom was not cleaned everyday and three times towels were taken away and fresh ones not left and no I do not expect them to be changed every day,everyother day is sufficient for us.
The hotel is some way from the town but for us this was not a problem.The free bus runs several times a day and the walk back along the prom is lovely.We used taxis one night to go into and return from town and they cost between 3-4 euros and were easy to find.
Would I return not sure on that one as the steps are an issue for me but apart from that the hotel did what we expected and the weather was fabulous for the time of year although lack of air conditioning until May is a mistake.Perhaps this is a younger persons hotel?

2  Thank Sheila H
Write a ReviewReviews (5,805)

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just returned on Monday from a 10 night holiday. After staying here in 2009 on half board basis we decided to return visit on an AI option. Having read some of the reviews before leaving I was begining to have reservations about rebooking, but I am wondering now if this was the same hotel people were writing about. I suppose we all view things differently and have different expectations. So below are my findings:

The location isn't central, but my husband and I enjoy the 30min walk along the revamped sea front to the centre, passing the outdoor gym for those who fancy a work out..

The hotel had refurbished some of the rooms (one which we was given 5204) and had spruced up the outside areas. All indoor and outdoor areas were spotlessly clean.

The restaraunt could have done with all the food stations being open and the choice of food could have been more varied. However, saying that we found the quality of food offered to be of a good standard and during our 10 day stay managed to have 10 different main meals in the evening.

We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. The entertinment team worked very hard during the day and the evening shows were very typical of those you get on holidays. Some guest shows from outside and then others put on by the entertainments team.

There are 3 main pools one of which the daytime entertainment takes place and can be quite noisy and rowdy. If you want peace and quite ther is an adult only pool with sun beds down by the tennis courts which is ideal, also near the wellness centre there are two lovely roof sun terraces, which we tended to use.

Overal we had a lovely holiday and we would return again, probably by now offering AI this has now in my opinion made the hotel a 3* instead of its 4* as the AI attracts more larger parties of people whereas before in 2009 it seemed to be more select cliental (probably the snob coming out in me)

Room Tip: We have stayed in block 4 (2009) sea views and pool view. This year block 5 (5204) refurbished roo...
4  Thank JanHNorthamptonshire
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel from 21 March 2013 to 28 March 2013. We always read the reviews on trip advisor but only as a guide as we feel everyone will have different opinions on hotels. Having visited other Barcelo hotels we expected the same standards and level of service at this hotel, but we didn't.

Check in - this was long winded. There were only 4 couples checking in to this hotel when we arrived. 30 minutes later we eventually checked in. Prior to coming to the hotel we had e-mailed the hotel and asked for a room near reception as my husband had a knee operation a couple of months ago so we wanted to be near to everything, this was something they did for us which we really appreciated. Unfortunately, the part of the hotel they put us in had no lighting in the corridors until 10pm in the evening, so it was a miracle that my husband didn't have to have a second knee operation. Also no air conditioning/heating working in room

Restaurant - when we checked in we were asked whether we wanted an early dinner or late dinner. There were two sittings, one from 6.30 to 7.50 and 8.10 to 9.30 (have never heard of a buffet restaurant having different sittings - is the point of a buffet restaurant not meant to be you turn up when you want ?) Anyway, we opted for the later sitting. Before entering the restaurant you have to obtain a chitty to give to your waiter when you go to your table for drinks if you are on an AI basis. I have never heard of this when you are All Inclusive. We also wandered around the restaurant for about 10 minutes and we couldn't find an empty table. Half the restaurant was closed off. We asked one of the Managers in the restaurant where we could sit and he held up his hands. We eventually got a seat. This scenario was repeated for the rest of our holiday at lunch and dinner (breakfast time was OK). Food was not warm, the selection was not the best and some of the meat was not edible. Up until the day before we left, the restuarant only had food carousels at one end of the restaurant which caused congestion when trying to get something to eat. On the day we left, the choices of food suddenly improved and they also opened up the other half of the restaurant and installed more food carousels. They should have done this the week before and maybe our holiday would have been better.

Animation/Entertainment Team - the team were excellent. Activities during the day were fantastic. Evening entertainment was so so, but again the team tried there very best to put on a good show.

Would my husband and I go back to this hotel - absolutely not. Im not sure that this hotel is still part of the Barcelo Group as it does not come up to the standards of the other Barcelo resorts my husband and I have stayed in. This hotel was meant to be a 4* hotel. The best we would give this hotel is 3*.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 7 on the ground floor which is good for people with limited mobility (as long as...
2  Thank Pam R
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location isn't great but we knew that before we went and there is quite a nice walk you can do along the sea front with different exercise apparatus along it (which stopped the kids complaining about the walk!). Shuttle bus service to the beach was very prompt, make sure you get there early as if you get there on time you will miss it.

The food was pretty average but a good variety that is repeated throughout your duration.

The children's entertainment team was absolutely fantastic and worked tirelessly to entertain them all. Our children (son aged 10 and daughter aged 9) have never got involved with the activities before yet they couldn't stay away. Yusef was a star!

The hotel was average overall from an adult perspective, however, my children would go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We arrived home yesterday from Barceló and this was our 3rd visit here!!! We love it here and so do the kids!! My daughter talks about it for months after... An excellent hotel for family holiday. Will definitely be booking for next year again!! Well done Barcelo

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank cheekeyvix
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Lanzarote Barcelo hotel is one of the nicest hotels I have been to. The check in is wonderful with no hassle. If you have booked half board and deside to have full board, it is very easy to upgrade as you check in. The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean. Maid service daily; If you asked for something extra, there was no problem in getting it. The food was good with plenty of choice. The poolside bars and food were excellant and the pools had plenty of loungers to sit. No need to try and get a seat early.Brfeakfast ran like clockwork and the choice was very extensive. I would have no problem in booking this hotel on my own. although there are only 21 other hotel nearby, the bus went from the end of the hotel front and taxis to downtown were easy to get from reception and were very inexpensive. There are a few shops in the area of the hotel - enough to purchase provisions if needed and also a couple of souvenir and clothes shops. I have very fond memories of this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.My holiday was beforfe April last year but I am sure that the standard etc would still be superb.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Went with mixed feelings after reading reviews. We could not fault the hotel, our only fault was the few clouds that kept appearing in the sky on a daily basis. Our check in at reception was smooth, and we had everything explained to us. The rooms were spacious, clean along with the rest of the complex and pool areas. Food plentiful and better than we expected in main dining room (again from reading negative previous reviews). the staff throughout all of our holiday were pleasant and polite. Complex big enough to have space around you when sunbathing and enough sunbeds to go round. We enjoyed the walk into the resort centre a couple of nights along the sea front. Taxi back really cheap 4 euros to include tip.

Room Tip: We were in Block 4 and it was quiet. We would have had a slight sea view but we were on the ground...
2  Thank keeo8
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
#3 of 38 in Costa Teguise
Melia Salinas - Adults recommended
Barcelo Teguise Beach - Adults only

Been to Occidental Lanzarote Mar? Share your experiences!