“Enjoyable Holiday”
Review of BlueBay Lanzarote

BlueBay Lanzarote
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just returned from a family holiday at the blue bay hotel which was enjoyed by all,travelled with children between the ages of 2-6 the eldest had a great time and really enjoyed the childrens mini disco,Oliver of the entertainment team gives 100% and was excellent with the children.All the hotel staff we came into contact with were pleasant and friendly.
I feel as though the pool area certainly needs a revamp,prior too going to this hotel I had read reviews about the missing tiles in the swimming pool and children getting their feet cut, unfortunatley my grandaughter also cut her foot whilst using the swimming pool, and we found the water in the pool to be quite cold.We managed to get a sun bed when needed but found that parasols were sparse.
The food in the restaurant was okay and we always found something to satisfy all our families requirements, but i think for anyone staying for more than 1 week the food may become a litlle repetative,they seem to like chicken and pork a lot.All inclusive drinks option were local brands,but for a few euros you can purchase well known brands from the bar that are given in decent measures.The children loved that fact that they were able to have unlimited amounts of ice cream and juice when needed.
The rooms we had were quite large as were the balcony area,room service was good,although there was no room service on a Saturday,liked the fact that there was a fridge and kettle in the room and tea and coffee was availablle from the restaurant, enabling us to have a morning drink prior to going down to breakfast.
There are plenty of local bars and restaurants that offer reasonable priced drinks and food, we especially enjoyed the local indian restaurant food was excellent.
we enjoyed the lovely walk along the promenade and there are 3 local beaches all within 5 -20 minutes walking distance, also a good park which the children enjoyed.

Room Tip: Request room in AB block near to reception area,over looking the pool and gets the sun all day.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Karneil
Write a ReviewReviews (2,861)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I would give this a 4 star but the personality and the staff really made it into a 5, plus I feel one or two reviews have given it an unfairly low score and I want to balance that out too.

Just got back yesterday and had a great week. Yeah it's not 100/100 but my girlfriend and I were really impressed overall. Great value for money. Like a lot of others, we worried we'd booked a bad deal because of a few reviews on here that popped up over the last few weeks, and there's a lot to take in from the reviews below so I will keep mine simple.

GOOD PARTS:

# STAFF: 5*
great, fun, friendly - notable characters are Yassim, Lisa, Isabel, Carlos, Penelope. warm and helpful, likeable people. personality!
# DRINKS: 4*
unlimited self-service local beer, house wine and sangria on tap, as well as fruit juices and pop drinks. pool bar during the afternoon with same self-service and made-to-order, like spirit and mixer or cocktails, indoor bar during the night open until midnight. lots of drinks and cocktails are free, only really the famous brands that you pay for and they are still only 50% with all inclusive. we didn't spend a penny on the bar except for the final night when I bought a bottle of Brut. BEST part is we worried it would be really stingy but it wasn't at all - you could order a couple of drinks each if you didn't want to keep going back.
# FOOD: 4*
unlimited, themed night every second night, great salad bar, good choice on 2 hot food bars, desert bar is good and there is a bread bar too. food isn't Michelin star but you're only really going to complain if a) you eat so much that it gets samey b) you have really high expectations or c) had better food at a similarly priced resort that focused more on food quality and lacked elsewhere. pool bar wasn't amazing but if you fancy a hotdog or a burger etc between dinner and tea then there are unlimited snacks.
# HOTEL: 4*
very clean and modern. great aparthotel room with a full kitchen which must be great for half-boarders. living room area, mini garden/outdoor bit at the back if you don't fancy the pool. great facilities - gym, spa, all very modern and well looked after.
# BEACH: 3*
location is great - very close. local beach isn't amazing but we were happy and there are cheap buses/rental cars to get to better ones.
# ENTERTAINMENT: 4*
great reps, a couple of really good nights of entertainment too, MTV/football on widescreen in the bar. loads of stuff to do, for kids and adults alike. HOW-TO sessions outdoor, like home-made paella classes and sangria open to all.

NOT SO GOOD PARTS:

# ENTERTAINMENT: pool music wasn't my scene, and was probably the same playlist each day. bit cheesy and old. take an ipod if you like.
# COMFORT: didn't sleep well - not sure what that was about. I am used to a really comfy bed at home so may have been that.
# POOL: really nice but some of the mini-tiles missing in the pool - though we did see the mischevious 4 year olds peeling them off with no parents watching them.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Firstly, ignore all the snobby reviews on here. You get what you pay for, if your going to moan about stupid things pay more money and go to a 5* hotel! People really do complain about everything.

I had a great holiday, stayed for a week here with my friend and we loved it. You really do get what you pay for, we got a good deal so you obviously don't go on holiday with high expectations do you. I was surprised, it was better than expected.

The staff at the hotel are really lovely. We made friends with the barmen and they made our holiday! So funny! Pretty much all the staff are really friendly and do their best to make your holiday enjoyable. We had a couple of problems during our holiday and straight away the staff were up to our room trying to assist.

The food was alright, not much selection but again for what we paid we couldn't complain! We didn't go hungry and even ate dinner and then a couple of hours after at the snack bar!! Give the burgers a go, they look a bit weird but with tomato sauce and cheese are yummy!

The pool area was ok, deffo need to get more brollys, and I was surprised at no matter what time you came down there was always a bed - not like in other hotels where you have to get up ridicously early! The tiles coming off in the pool wasn't a massive problem for us, we read reviews before we came so knew what to expect. Oh and the pool is freezing - it took us a while to actually get in but once your in it really cools you down which is what you need.

Our room was great, we loved having a separate living/kitchen area. Don't know how people can complain about the room to be honest.

Overall, we had a fantastic holiday! Came away with great tans and great memories.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank xdaisyxtilleyx
Reviewed September 20, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Blue Bay Lanzarote Hotel for one week in September 2013. This was my first experience of All-Inclusive and overall I would say it’s not too bad and reasonably good value for money.

Rooms – The room was large and spacious and clean throughout. The balcony was nice to sit out on when the sun was setting. We were in E Block which was on the quieter side of the complex, which suited us fine. The only complaint was the TV, as many channels were not working. This didn’t bother us much but when you’re paying for it, it’d be nice if it was working properly! The room was cleaned sporadically during our stay – I’m certain it was not cleaned every day. Again, this wasn’t a big deal for us as we’re not particularly messy but could be annoying for some. Also FYI rooms are not cleaned on a Saturday. You have to pay to use the safe in the room so we opted not to use it. I really don’t understand why some hotels charge for the safe, it’s quite unnecessary in my opinion. Additionally, there is no free wifi in the hotel which is quite a downside again, in these technological times. 5 Euros for 24 hours was not too expensive however.

Food/drink – there is only one restaurant in the hotel, which got a bit boring, sitting in the same place for every meal, every day. Though dubious upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised by the food. The quality was good overall and the selection fairly wide. I didn’t find the food selection too repetitive during our stay. Drinks overall were a bit hit and miss – the cocktails included in the AI were very nice. The wine was poor and the sangria not bad when mixed with lemonade. The juices were very watered down and not all that enjoyable.

Pool Area – as some others have already mentioned, the pool area needs some serious improvement as it is the main focal point of the resort. We did notice missing mosaic tiles in the pool, generally in the shallower end, which could be an issue for children. I could see that attempts had been made to fix them so it looks as though it’s just a re-occurring issue. The hotel should consider addressing this properly though and maybe re-tiling the pool during the winter time. The other big issue is the severe lack of parasols around the pool. There was easily over 70% of these missing. We were lucky enough that we managed to get one every day, as the peak season has ended, but on the one day we couldn’t, we found this very frustrating. I went to the reception to ask if they had any more and why they didn’t have enough and was fobbed off by the receptionist with a shrug of the shoulders and a ‘what can I say?!’. It is clear from past reviews that this has been an ongoing problem and the hotel really need to address this as it’s quite ridiculous really. This can potentially ruin your day if you’re not someone who wants to sit in the direct sunshine all day. Tip: The sun loungers are the plastic kind, so have no padding whatsoever. After one day of lying on this my back ached so much, we went and bought some cheap lilos from a local shop and these improved things considerably! Take your own lilo or some kind of padding otherwise you’ll be unable to walk by the end of your holiday!

Entertainment – the ‘theatre’ is more like a club-house and overall we found it really cheesy and uninteresting. We only visited twice – once to find a cheesy singer performing and the other time to see a fairly decent dance/gymnastic/magic show.

Gym/Spa – The gym was poor in the sense that the few bits of cardio equipment they had there were not working. The room could easily accommodate one or two more cardio machines as well. The spa is a plus point of the hotel, with friendly staff and a good and affordable selection of treatments. Our visit to the spa was one of the highlights of the holiday.

Staff – Overall the staff were mediocre, the reception staff could afford to be a more friendly and welcoming. The restaurant staff were generally friendly and so too were the entertainment staff.

Location – The beach is a short walk away and there’s some handy amenities nearby the hotel, like a bank, supermarket and bus stops. The town centre is also a 10min walk away which may not suit some but was fine for us. We enjoyed being a bit further out of the main tourist area.

Recommended excursions: The Teguise Market and the Music Hall Tavern show were well worth the money.

Overall – I think for its rating this hotel is generally good value for money. The rooms and food were the most important things to us and we were not disappointed with either of these. I think the hotel do, however, need to invest money into improving the pool area. As this is the main area that people spend time in during their stay, its important to make it safe, comfortable and pleasurable to spend time there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Deeniebobeenie
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 7nights with boyfriend, just back today and had to write a review. Cant understand how anyone can complain, I could not fault anything with this hotel! The rooms, pool area, main hotel area and food area was spotless. The staff were amazing, funny and always willing to help! The food was grand, wide variety and selection available to suit all people, and plenty of it! Self service drinks area with unlimmited supply of sangria, coca cola, sprite, local beer etc! Even some cocktails were included in the all inclusive, and 50% off other drinks for all inclusive guests! 10mins stroll to beach and walkway along the beach which was a beautiful, pleasant walk with plenty to see and do. Already planning a trip with more people next year! :) would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Nelle2012
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Lovely 10 night trip with friends and family. Travelled with children aged between 8-10 yrs- my kids are used to butlins and have never been abroad so it was important that our children had a great time.
Hotel- clean and tidy stayed ground floor block c, no cockroaches seen at all, maid service 6 times per wk, beds uncomfortable and noise could be heard from the rooms above but neither of these factors spoilt the holiday. Everywhere within the complex was a minutes walking distance so you could always nip back to your room no matter where you were within the complex.
Food- fantastic, lots of choice, always hot and as the restaurant closed the snack bar opened, so we never waited for food and we sometimes took snacks back to the room. Drinks including larger, wine, sprits, cocktails and cava on all inclusive. We never waited long at bar and could order what we wanted. Soft drinks and larger were on a help your self basis.
Kids club and pool: the animation team worked their socks of and the kids loved them, my normally reserved kids fully embraced the activities and came out of their shell. Staff in general were very friendly, spoke English and could not do enough to help you. Oliver and Lucy have created lasting memories for my children. The kids loved the pool, they wore hot tuna beach shoes in the water to protect their feet from dodgy tiles and i would recommend these as also perfect for running around the pool area. Pool is cold but the weather is hot so it's just what you need.
Entertainment- cheesy entertainment that could be better but again staff make great efforts to entertain (Salvador, Lucy and Oliver were a 3 man band who kept all activities day and night running), kareoke, kids disco, quiz, bingo, magician, bird and reptile shows, a very good swing entertainer (John Pick) and a few other acts to offer variety but overall more could be put into the entertainment and the room that it is delivered in is very basic.
Shop and spa on site, sports bar 2 min walk, other shops and bars 2 min walk, beach 10 - 15 mins away, main centre around 20-25 min walk but taxi only around 3 euros if you don't use the free beach bus. Local shops sell alcohol and cigs very very cheap. Also shops sell lots of dresses, crocs ect at a really good prices so you could buy some of your holiday essentials when you get there, market day on a Sunday. Don't book any trips with the hotel as they charge more, shop 5 mins down the road offering better prices.
Overall lovely holiday, lovely island, it is a quiet resort and hotel but not too quite and is lovely for families or couples ( did not see any groups) The food, drink and friendly staff would make me come back to this hotel and I felt that I had got my all inclusive money's worth.

Room Tip: Block C ground floor, fab location to everything, away from food area's so no bugs and we still...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lizeetta
Reviewed September 17, 2013

upon arrival it would have been nice for the reception staff to show us to our rooms so that we weren't dragging our suitcases around reading signs. As with other 3* hotels they carry your cases to your room for you. However reception staff were polite and very good English.

The food was fantastic! No fault, I personally have very high expectations of food and was a bit apprehensive as to the reviews I read before I left but I could not have been happier with the service and produce received. There were 3 'themed' food nights during our stay (11nights) which were a huge success even with my boyfriend who can be a fussy eater when it comes to certain foods! The other reviews could not be more valid about the food there was so much choice which was always well presented and kept warm it would come very much to my surprise if anyone was left with nothing they liked. There was always pizza and chips if anyone was really stuck! There was also a snack bar in between breakfast and dinner and then snack time after tea so there was always food available.
The service in the restraunt was fabulous and at the bars!

I would not advise to go to this hotel if you are after good entertainment in the evenings. It was disappointing as this is an all inclusive hotel you would expect good entertainment while you enjoyed the all inclusive bar. For example one night they showed a concert on a DVD, and the music/DVD was too loud in the entertainment bar you struggle to talk amongst friends.

The pool does need some work, missing tiles, needs more umberellas and definitely SUNBED BEDS!!! not just plastic to lie on these were very uncomfortable and most people ended up buying lilos just to sun bathe on!

This resort is quiter than the others so again there are not many bars/clubs aimed at the younger generation which we had hoped for.

ALL INCLUSIVE - all new arrives did not realise what was included on the all inclusive drinks wise, its needs to be made more clear to the guests. for example cocktails were included but some people did not realise to nearer the end of their holiday, thankfully someone told us and we passed on the message.

Rooms - seemed basic, very uncomfortable beds and pillows and no double beds! just singles pushed together - no good!

Room Tip: higher floor as we saw quite a few cockroaches on the ground.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple