“Nice quiet resort”

Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Retford, United Kingdom
“Nice quiet resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I came with my friend we are in our 20s and both thought the hotel was great. Location was amazing every room has a sea view. We always found somewhere to sit around the pool and the staff there were very friendly and helpful. The only negatives I would say was that the rooms were abit dated and in definate need of some tlc but really wasnt a problem We were outside most of the time! Some reviewers here have too much time on there hands nit picking. The bar area and evening entertainment was ace and we found a turtle in the bar pond on the last day random! All in all would definitely go again and seems a great safe place for familys too! Plus they did red slushies at the pool bar BONUS!

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank jasmin t
GMTeguise, Deputy Manageress at Hotel Grand Teguise Playa, responded to this review, May 25, 2016
• Renovated rooms on the 4th, 5th and 6th floor.
We will continue working on the improvements of our facilities and guest satisfaction.
I’m taking the opportunity to let you know that it would be an honor to see you soon again in our hotel and to know once more your personal opinion.
Laura Diaz - Deputy Manageress

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,124)
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have visited this hotel three times now, and each time I have returned hoping things may have improved. I will give you my honest feedback based on my stay in May 2013 with a friend.

Positives

LOCATION - This has got to be the best situated hotel in Costa Teguise, as every room has a fantastic sea view and hotel is central to the shops, restaurants, bars, beach etc.

FRIENDLY STAFF - Most the people in the hotel are friendly, smiley and will go out their way to assist.

BAR AREA - There is a lovely bar area where they hold the evening entertainment, which has a rotating floor, which is a great feature. Lovely stream running through with fishes in.

COMMUNAL CARPETS - Hooray, at last......after having read about the old, damaged carpets in the communcal areas, they are finally replacing them. Whilst I was there I was woken up at 6.30am with banging outside my door, went out to have a look, and saw carpet fitters.

Negatives

FOOD/DRINK - I am sure the manager will respond to this by saying there is plenty of food choices, however the food is very very budget and basic for a 4* hotel.

If you are a vegetarian avoid this hotel at all costs, unless you want to starve.
The sloppy salad area has various mixed things in it, and I was forever putting things on my plate then finding ham or whatever meat in it.

They had cheese, however no cheddar, edam or blue cheese, again only cheap stuff, which was really not edible.

I love fish, but all week, I only saw one proper grilled fish, the rest was either in a sauce of some kind, or cold fish, or sardines which were filled with so many bones they were a real choking hazard.

The coffee and tea was disgusting out of a machine, and the fruit juice at breakfast was foul, and also out of a machine.

The glasses you are given in the breakfast room are so small as if they don't want you to drink! The waitresses refuse to give you a bottle of water at breakfast time, and if, like me, you drink a lot of water, this is very annoying.

All week they didn't have any watermelon, only either tinned fruit, or canteloupe melon or bananas, apples, kiwis that you had to cut up yourself.

The cooked food looked sloppy, was warm, tasteless and was used the following day in salads and other disguised dishes. All the hot food was cooked using too much oil too.

Tables were left for ages uncleared and plates and drinks sitting on tables. sometimes took up to 10 minutes for someone to get a drink too, which I consider too long.

BEDROOMS - The bathrooms are extremely old and dated, with chipped/cracked tiles, mould between the tiles, plastic shower/soap dispensers falling off the wall, poor plumbing - brown water/water pressure terrible. The air con. hardly works.

ENTERTAINMENT - Although the animation team try their best and entertain with games during the day, some of them do lack enthusiasm. In fact one blonde girl we only saw of an evening presenting the certificates. She seemed to leave the rest of the work up to the others.
The nighttime entertainment was dire. They used to have the shows on the main stage, now they have moved it to the other side, which is a real shame. The entertainment last May was great, this has really gone down hill now. Also the music played afterwards is the same old piped songs, really should have someone there taking requests, encouraging people to get up and dance.

Room Tip: Room 4 and above
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank cojoba
Biurnemouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just returned from very disappointing holiday at this supposed four star hotel which at times seemed less than 3 star! Travelled as 3 adults ( myself and two grown up children) got charged as a party of 3 adults but put in room with two beds plus small, broken metal bed that a child would struggle to sleep comfortably in. Only 2 glasses to drink from (never changed or washed). Only two chairs on balcony etc - third person clearly got raw deal deal.

Food adequate but repetative and clearly recycled. Went half board (big mistake) and had to pay for even water at dinner . Made to feel like potential criminals by staff hovvering over us to ensure we didn't help ourselves to things we weren't entitled to. Have to say most restaurant staff quite rude and stroppy with the exception of a guy called Rothendo who was always welcoming and helpful.

Biggest bugbear was having to pay 5 euros PER PERSON (not per room) per day for WiFi and even charged to watch TV and not having any tea/coffee facilities available in rooms. Very irritating only being able to drink this at limited times . Also being charged for sea view when ALL rooms have sea views,

Hairdryers like something out out of the ark which didn't go down well with my two girls - be sure to bring your own if your still have your own hair. Also toiletries disgusting so bring own supply.

I won't even get started on the carpets!

The positives; good location and well kept communal grounds poolside although swimming pools were freezing at all times.

Gym stunk to high heaven and had just a few pieces of equipment in it. Not useable at all

Ate out often and found the town and restaurants good value and welcoming.
Won't be going back anytime soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Debra B
GMTeguise, Deputy Manageress at Hotel Grand Teguise Playa, responded to this review, May 22, 2016
Sincerely
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my partner in may half term for 4 nights (Monday-Friday) and this was not long enough!
The hotel looks very grand from the outside and the lobby inside is even more impressive. There is a revolving bar and a little pool with a bridge which are all lovely features.
As we arrived before check-in time we were given our AI wristbands and told we could go and use any of the facilities and keep our luggage in the luggage room. This was great for us as it meant we could go and wander round rather than just waiting around for our room. We went back to reception early to see if our room was ready, and it was which was great.
The room was great for our needs and the view was absolutely spectacular- the best I have ever had in a hotel! However, when we arrived in the room there was red tape over the toilet which we thought meant it was out of order. My partner went to ask at reception about this and they said they would send someone to look at it. This never happend, but it didn't matter too much as we figured it out ourselves!
We had never been AI before and found it to be fantastic! The drinks and food were excellent and in the evenings we would get a drink and take it to our room with a bowl of peanuts and sit on our balcony looking at the great view- paradise!
For those that have moaned about the carpets in the hotel (I myself prefer to go and enjoy my holiday rather than pick at the little things) they will be pleased to know that these were changed whilst we were there, and it did look great.
The pools are quite cold, as stated in many of the reviews, and not many people were going in them. I only went in on one of the days, but once you were in it was lovely! My partner went in them nearly everyday. We managed to get a sunbed everyday around early afternoon and there was usually always plenty available.
Overall a fantastic stay and I would not hesitate to go again- we are already looking to go back again this year!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank vizii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were really dissapointed by the place. It's very old fashioned - clearly the management has run out of money or spent it elsewhere.
There is no way this is four star - we had a drink in the Albatross hotel down the road which is four star and was so much better - book there instead!
We had to spend €105 Euros to move rooms from the third to the fifth floor - would have argued with the particularly rude woman on the reception desk but my 11 month old baby was my consideration.
Rooms are small and pretty old-fashioned.
On the plus side most of the staff are friendly - not their fault that the owners of the hotel aren't prepared to make the place modern and up to date.

We won't be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the hotel. I am in my 20s and travelled with my partner. To be honest, the only negative was the weather!!

At first we were a little nervous as we realised we had booked during English school holidays! Thankfully there were only few children at the hotel which did not disturb our stay (sorry to any families offended!!)

Rooms: Basic, but very clean. We requersted a double on an upper floor and were given a room on the fourth floor. The views were the best i have ever experienced!

Food: We opted for All Inclusive. There was not as much a selection as experienced in other AI hotels, however, this could be due to staying off peak. I noticed there were further food carts which were not used. The food was delicious and there is always something to choose from. I am quite fussy but there was always salad, chips, fish, meat and Aioli! Delicious. Drinks were served at the table and all staff were efficent and friendly. I have noticed a few comments below which mention the staff do not speak very good english...You're on holiday in Spain, not Cornwall. They were friendly and polite. Plus, a cheeky 'Gracias' and 'uno cola por favour' doesn't go a miss!

One thing to note is that the snack bar only did cold snacks. I think we were slighlty spoilt last time we travelled so this was a disappointment.

Drinks: I had Sangria most nights which was lovely. The bar staff were very friendly. I also sampled the wine and cava which was nice too.

Entertainment: The animation team were very enthusiastic and the kids loved them! Ina was brilliant, always happy and trying to get everyone up, be it on the dance floor or aqua gym. they put on a couple shows which were great and the mini-disco for kids proved popular. throughout the day there were activities for adults/children. I chose not to get involved as it was a little too chilly!!

Location: the Location was great! right on the beach in the centre of town! 5 stars!!

All in all, we had a great stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Room away from the atrium. All with sea view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AmyDSco
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Check-in; At first they checked us in a garden view room which was run-down & after arguing with reception & showing our email confirmation for pool view, eventually got the correct room
Food; it was freshly made, tasty and hot but limited range
Animation; very basic & amature
Location; close to shops, restaurants, play areas for kids and beach
Pools; salty water & was regularly cleaned
Staff; were not rude but would benefit if they wear a smile
Entertainment; every night they had some show or programm but it was very loud
And finally, in all the hotels i have stayed, in-room saves were free of charge, not here

Room Tip: don't book anything but pool or sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family