“Just ok”

Portobello Restaurante Italiano
Ranked #9 of 195 Restaurants in Costa Teguise
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
liverpool
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Having read the good reviews (although noting several were by 'first timers') we walked quite a way to eat here.

Positives;
1. Nati the owner is a nice friendly lady whose pride in her restaurant is evident by the time she takes to respond to adverse reviews.
2. Restaurant is clean and tidy
3. Clearly very child-friendly and suited to families

Negatives;
1. On taking our seats we were only offered the A-la-carte menu and not the 'Special 3 course' menu displayed outside. Unacceptable. Customers may be embarrassed to ask for the 'cheap' option.
2. Took too long for waiter to take our drinks order, even though it wasn't busy. I really dislike sitting in a restaurant with nothing in front of me.
2. All other restaurants in this price range in CT have linen tablecloths and napkins
3. At over 12 euros for a seafood pizza I would expect the topping described as 'crab' to mean just that and not slices of seafood stick.

Experience as a couple was average. Would be a good place to go as a family.

Reviewers who rate the restaurant as the best in CT should try El Navarro which has similar prices (recommended only for couples/adult groups).

I appreciate Nati may reply that I should have commented at the time, but there was nothing which she could have done to improve our experience, and in my view that's what TA is for - I have no wish to enter into a negative discussion to spoil my evening.

Still - as Nati says, 25 years in business ...

Visited January 2013
Gina492, Owner at Portobello Restaurante Italiano, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your review which had some helpful tips for us. After 21 years, not 25 years, we do not sit back and just expect and accept our good reviews. They are hard won believe me. We always welcome sensible observations which some of yours were.

We are sorry you were not offered a Set Menu on arrival. We are currently printing some more "Set Menu" menus so we can include them in the body of the menu. We honestly never saw it as "the cheap option" and never will but we do take your point and will give it out. I apologise for the delay in the taking of your drink order and I have spoken to the staff about this as it is vital the drinks orders are taken as soon as possible. Normally they know to do this.

As I always say I do wish you had spoken to me of your issues while here as I can sort it there and then. Trying to work out what happened weeks later is difficult, and your observations helps us and please never see it as a negative to tell me anything that is wrong here. I need to keep all parts of the overall restaurant running well. The customer and their enjoyment of the meal and the overall experience of dining with us is important to me.
My customers are the number one priority in this restaurant and it will always be so.
Thank you for your review.

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great restaurant, loved the food, welcoming atmosphere, highly recommend visiting this authentic Italian.

1 Thank d_gooner1973
west mids
“Authentic Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Excellent food but service slow when full,a little on the expensive side. Authentic Italian menu,excellent home prepared olives. Best times to go when children are at school so not so busy.

Visited September 2012
“Fabulous food, brilliant service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We received a very warm welcome both times we arrived. The staff are friendly and helpful. We plumped for the house wine which was fantastic. The food was all home-made and very high quality and tasty. A great laid back atmosphere with great food and wine and friendly and attentive staff, what more could you want?!

2 Thank K_e_w_83
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Simply the best.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Where to start with this wonderful restaurant.We have been visiting Costa Teguise for over 20 years,and since we found Nati's 20 years ago (because that's what this restaurant is known as by all who regularly frequent it) this is our first port of call for a meal.It is also the last place we eat before we leave for home.We eat here as many times as possible in between.
The menu is varied, freshly prepared by excellent chef's,and served by friendly knowledge staff along with Nati and her son Daniel.If there is nothing on the menu that takes your fancy (hard to imagine) then ask for something else and if this family restaurant can oblige ,they will.
The wine list is sufficient for anyone.Red at the correct temp.the rose and white always chilled to perfection,as is the beer!!
It's not a large restaurant by some standards,but speaking of standards, they are the best.
The best sign of a quality restaurant is if the local's eat there,and they do.
We have spent New Years here and eaten some of the best food ever.
Try the Salmon Carpaccio,any of the pizza's,wonderful veal and the best tiramisu on the island.
Have pizza or pasta ,steak ,chicken or fish it's all excellent.
And if you happen to be one of those very rare people who visit Nati's and find things not to your liking,then let her know.Don't walk out and log on to Trip Advisor and whinge and complain.
Give her a chance to put things right.
We have eaten in other places in Costa Teguise and all around the island but always come back to Nati's.
It's a great place,owned by a lovely lady and her family.They all make you welcome,it's like a home from home for us.
That's why we will be there on 21st February at about 9.00pm for the first of may meals during our 3 week stay.
See you soon Nati.!!!!