“A different and quiet lunar wonder island”

Melia Salinas - Adults recommended
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Being on the island of Lanzarote, one of the islands in the Spanish Canary Islands chain in the Atlantic Ocean and a ferry ride away to the Moroccan coast of Africa is truly like being on a lunar landscape. The island is covered in black lava rocks and black sandy b eaches. We truly enjoyed the sites. We stayed at the 5-star elegant hotel, Gran Melia Salinas in October and the weather was warm and pleasant every day of our stay. I was surprised because I didn't know that it actually stays warm throughout the year. The sea was not cold and the pool inviting and spacious. Many Europeans are there who return year after year. The food in the restaurant was delicious and fresh every day, breakfast as well as dinner. No problems. I love paella and they had it every single day, done differently each day! A treat. The staff very kind and the hotel has an Avis car rental office there, if you don't take the car from the airport. I suggest you rent for a few days and tour this incredible island that God has kept a secret. Houses are all stuccoed white in all the pretty and quaint villages. Camel rides are available to the volcanic (dormant ) areas--just spectacular. Behind the main area of the lobby where the music entertainment takes place, there is a smoking-area that is not intrusive to non-smokers. I truly enjoyed smoking my c igars there. Yes, I do want to return to that island and to that hotel. I booked the breakfast from home, but the dinner meal plan I booked when I arrived there. This island also produces great wines and you can drive to the vineyards to sample the wines and buy souvenirs of the vineyard complexes. The wines are also available in the local stores. I liked the wine called Rubicon, but others are also very good. Local goat cheese is great, buy it on the country roads as you tour. Driving the island is safe and truly worth it. The beach is sandy and rocky because of the lava rocks that dropped everywhere in the past. The only thing I resent about European beaches in front of the hotels is the chair-and-umbrella rentals that are ubiquitous: 3 euro per chair and also 3 euro per umbrella. Being accustomed to free lounging in the Caribbean, this is something that I find strange. If you stay awhile, per couple that's 9 euro a day, it adds up!

Room Tip: Higher up the better, facing the pool. There are elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank senorsdoll

Reviewed December 16, 2011

This was the fourth time we have stayed at Gran Melia Salinas, Costa Teguise (8th to 15th December 2011) and this says something as we seem very rarely to stay more than once at any hotel. We have had two holidays in Lanzarote in December and we find the climate ideal: warm enough to sit outside in the day but never oppressively hot. Not too hot either to play tennis or go for long walks on the strangely beautiful cinder and lava fields.

The good points: the hotel is clean, quiet and attractive with its lushly planted atrium with the delightful singing of frogs in the water among the palm trees in the evening. And we love the influence here of the artist Cesar Manrique who has left his mark so indelibly over the landscape over the whole island. At the Gran Melia Salinas there are his wonderful sculpted murals which are sufficient reason alone to visit the hotel. The food is generally good, and we like the buffet style of the meals. There is a very wide choice of food if not a great deal of variation night by night. Service is much as you would expect it to be for one of the most expensive hotels on the island, and I would compliment in particular the chambermaids who kept our room spotless and made up the beds very promptly every morning.

A special comment about - and compliment for - Patricia: you were briiliant in the way you looked after so many of the guests, not least ourselves. You are so enthusiastic and so professional and we are in no doubt that you have a glowing career in the hotel industry ahead of you. Our last evening (Wednesday 14th December) was made particularly memorable when you encouraged us all on to the dance floor. Management take note: you have an absolute gem here, and I make that remark objectively: my comments are completely unsolicited.

And no mice here either! The resident cats - mostly (fortunately) outside - see to that. But I am something of a cat enthusiast. Others may not be so enamoured.

On the downside: I guess it must be a result of the recession, but it was very quiet. I had the impression that the hotel was not much more than one third occupied, and this had its effect on staffing levels and entertainment which were curtailed relative to our previous experiences here. And the hotel is beginning to look its age (I think it opened late 1970s). We missed the pianist at the entrance to the dining room. The grand piano is still there, moved aside and gathering dust. But it may be of course that we took our holiday in low season, and that things will be very different over the Christmas period.

But my most negative observation - and I may get some stick for saying this - is the absence of dress code, particularly for the evening dinner. OK, so I am rather conservative, old fashioned if you like (but my wife and I are in our late 60s, so you might allow us that), but if I am in a quality restaurant I dress accordingly, and for me this means a long sleeved shirt and tie, and a jacket too if it is cold. I do this not only for my own pleasure, but as a mark of respect for the other guests and the staff. So to be blunt, when I see other guests (mostly English, I am ashamed to say) pitching up in T shirts, jeans and trainers I am very unimpressed indeed. Come on Gran Salinas management - do credit to yourselves and your fine hotel by insisting on decent dress, and banning mobile phones from the restaurant as well. If you let these standards lapse, you will do no favours to your reputation. Please don’t let that happen.

I don’t go a lot on shorts in quality restaurants either. Worn by people of my own generation they are frankly hideous, especially if they draw attention to the wearer’s obesity or gross varicose veins. Enough to put you quite off your food if not actually to throw up.

But thank you. This was, as with the three previous occasions we have stayed with you, a memorable holiday. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and feel rested, fit and well fed.

(Next time - can you let me look inside the Observatory? I'm an amateur astronomer and would love a look at the Canarian night sky.)

Room Tip: We've always had a Junior Suite. Well worth the extra cost. Beautiful sea views, and the noise o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Tomtiger
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights. I cannot say anything Bad but for sure it is not a 5* resort even though it claims to be. Maybe 20 years ago it was but it really does feel tired and dated particularly the rooms. Breakfast is good...not had dinner here but judging by the reviews this is bet avoided...

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Benjanousek
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We're just back from a week in this hotel. The physical hotel is lovely, particularly the pool area. The rooms were not 5 star, but spotless and bright. The service was lacklustre. There was just no feeling of welcome whatsoever, or any feeling that anyone was in charge or gave a damn. That's not to say anyone was rude, but no-one engaged us at any time bar taking an order and delivering the drink/coffee etc, with the exception of the fantastic lady in charge of the aqua-aerobics.
The food was average. The fruit and salads were good, but anything hot was almost always lukewarm just sitting under the lights (for example the bacon for breakast and the churros which I thought I'd treat myself to on the final mornning were both lukewarm to cold).
€63 for two of us for the dinner buffet, not even including a bottle of water, was actually daylight robbery given the average quality of the grub. You'd get a serious meal in a local restaurant including some vino for that amount.

Room Tip: We had a "Classic Room, Sea View" and it was a fine size room with a nice balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsMac1975
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went back to the Gran Melia Salinas for our third stay in a decade, this year and even stayed in the same room, but not by request! However, it has been substantially upgraded since our last stay and is now part of the Royal Service, which gives you access to an exclusive pool area with free drinks and snacks.

The Gran Melia is a very comfortable, friendly, yet modern hotel - architecturally it is stunning having been designed by Cesar Manrique, and offers a great experience for families and couples.

As there are just the two of us we chose a suite, which comes with the Royal Service - which is included with all suites and villas. From previous experience we knew half board was a very good option, so despite the range of restaurants ate in the Buffet every night. In past years the buffet has laid on several themed evenings - Catalan, Italian, Mediterranean and so on, but they seem to have dropped this, which is a shame, but not an issue - the cooking is done in front of you and the food always fresh.

Even the roast pork had loads of crackling!

On four out of our seven nights there was a cabaret in the bar, which showcased acts from an 'Il Divo' style group, who were excellent, through acrobatics, magic and musical cabaret. As with our previous stays, each show was professionally presented and very enjoyable.

We've noticed on each of our visits that by far the highest percentage of guests are Spanish-speakers, which gives the hotel a very good atmosphere - Several of the big tour operators have plaques in the hall, but as we've never found the hotel in one of their catalogues, we always book direct.

Drinks are pricey, but it's a five-star hotel, and compared to costs in the South of France are actually reasonable.

The only downside is having to fly Thomson airways - who really should give you somewhere to put your legs, or SleezyJet at ungodly o'clock.

There's enough to keep you occupied in Lanzarote for about a week, but you do need a hire car.

Room Tip: Go for a suite and go half board
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bigwordsmith
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Had a very relaxing week here. Standard room had comfortable beds, lots of hanging/drawer space and a nicely secluded balcony with a good view and very comfortable chairs. Bathroom was spacious, with a good, powerful shower (+ bath). Pleasingly good lighting in bedroom.

Breakfast buffet was good, with lots of fruit available + sliced cheeses, (cheap) hams, and cooked items. Pleasant outdoor area available, with good service.

Evening buffet always had lots of choice, and varied nicely from day to day. Finding a seat was easy, and there were no significant queues. Several types of meat, and also several types of fish could be cooked to order while you waited. A good selection of imaginatively prepared vegetables. One or two pre-prepared items (e.g. paella) could be only luke warm and therefore had to be avoided. Tables nicely spaced, with some outside. Good service.

Reception staff cheerful and obliging. Price higher than many hotels in the area, but you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pwjm
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in October 2011.

Our suite was on the first floor - it was above the dining room and entertainment area. It was noisy at night and there was a strong smell of food in the corridor- bread in morning and fried fish in the evenings.

We had great trouble charging ipod laptop etc- found out why towards the end of the trip. The rooms only have electricity when there is movement in the room. So charging problems could be sorted but being too hot at night could not- as if you didnt walk the air con went off.
Biggest laugh was the whirlpool bath on one of the balconies. We had just installed ourselves in the tub when the jets and all the power went off. You had to hop out of the tub and run into the room to switch the power on again. Took the luxury out of the whirlpool balcony bath pointless really!

Staff once you caught one were helpful, but it was the first 5 star hotel I have stayed in where you are not seated for breakfast and a drinks order taken and likewise for the evening meal. Strange.

We ate at the Buffet twice in the evening despite trying to select the fresher food we were both ill after each occaision. We never saw anyone checking the temperature or replacing food that had been out too long. There was food being cooked fresh but often there were 20 minute waits for this.

The adults only area was fab, and really made the holdiay for us and was the redeeming feature.It was a shame that the area was not kept properly ordered one of the lounging canopies became a dumping area for lounger cushions not being used. This meant that the guests were cramped into a smaller area and not in keeping with the luxury feel.

The tropical garden in the centre of the hotel is stunning.

The weather in the end of October was good able to sunbathe every day but not burn needed a light weight jacket at night.

Good holiday just not the best hotel we have stayed in. We would go back if there were no other adult only places available.

Room Tip: Avoid even numbers and the first floor - noisy and smells of food.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
#12 of 38 in Costa Teguise
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
#2 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Melia Salinas - Adults recommended? Share your experiences!