My partner and I are 3 nights into a five night holiday- this is as good a time as any to write a review whilst the details are still fresh.
I'll start with the not so good.
1. The accommodation is 3.5 stars at a stretch. We are staying in one of the so called VIP rooms, and the signs of wear and tear are evident. Paint coming off walls, dirty walls in some areas, the extractor fan in the bathroom spewing dust when turned on. And rather stupidly, only one accessible power socket in the room, the same one the TV is plugged into.
2. The pettiness you often get with some of the large hotel chains. As annoying as it was to have to pay for wi-fi(and only one device, non-transferable for a week), I thought requesting a fee to use the safe was bordering on ridiculous. You get charged 16 Euros for this service, for a safe that's already physically present in the room, not including a five euro deposit. I refused this service on principle.
3. The fact that the hotel is structured towards German clientele has already been severally mentioned. This was not a problem for us, on the contrary, we found the Germans themselves to be very friendly and extremely pleasant. Besides, unlike my countrymen, they are able to consume sizeable quantities of alcohol without becoming loud and unruly. However, the services are directed more towards speakers of their language. We saw Mamma Mia a couple of nights ago courtesy of the animation team, and it was bordering on surreal watching the animators flit between German, Spanish and English(English 10%). It was good fun though, nonetheless. It's important that people looking into booking this hotel realise that. This was not a problem for us, but I can see how it could be for others.
1. The staff. Universally friendly and extremely helpful. Special mention to the Restaurant staff and the cleaners, who made my wife's birthday celebration a memorable event. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The animation team were very good as well.
2. The location. It really does not get any better than this. The sea view rooms are true sea view affairs, not viewing the sea over buildings etc. I can never get tired of the sound of waves lulling me to sleep. Massive massive sandy beach that stretches for miles. Awesome stuff.
3. The food. Fabulous variety, and always very well cooked. Great variety of drinks as well.
4. The weather has been picture perfect thus far. I can't help a degree of smugness reading about rain battering my beloved Leeds.
All in all a good holiday. Pictures attached.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas hotel is located on the seafront at Jandia, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island of Fuerteventura spanning 25 kilometres. It's the ideal hotel for couples and families with children because of the range of services and facilities on offer. It features 355 rooms and suites with multiple capacities. The Star Prestige rooms are of special note, allowing guests aged 16 and over to access exclusive services, including a VIP zone with a pool and Jacuzzi, open bar, reading room and direct beach access. With the aim of helping guests make the most of their holiday, the IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas hotel offers a wide range of activities and services including a SPA Sensations with incredible treatments for body and mind, free Wi-Fi, all inclusive, two pools, Miniclub, Maxiclub, children's pool and park, fitness room, daytime and night-time entertainment, a bowling alley, babysitting services ($), tennis court, as well as two restaurants and five bars. A little bit of everything for everyone at the Playa Gaviotas hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Playa Gaviotas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Playa Gaviotas Hotel Playa De Jandia
- Iberostar Playa De Jandia
- Iberostar Hotel Playa Gaviotas
- Iberostar Playa Gaviotas Playa De Jandia, Fuerteventura