“Very nice”

IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Playa de Jandia
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Came back from the Playa Gaviotas on Saturday. Had a great stay. Lovely big room - we booked the suite with two separate bedrooms - the price was very reasonable for such a big space.

The all-inclusive food was lovely and varied. Drinks are great. Hotel is spotless. Staff very friendly. Plenty of sunbeds. Good exercise classes. My little girl loved the kids club - she's been too shy to go to kids clubs at other hotels, but Lorna made her feel very welcome - so much so she asked to go there everyday! The kids club is very close to the pool area too, so you don't feel very far away from your children should they need you.

Plenty of other things for kids to do too - bowling, good evening entertainment and two nice play areas, amongst other things. My girl said she had the best holiday ever! The beach is beautiful - I'd say Jandia has the most beautiful beaches in the whole of the Canaries (well, out of the three Canary Islands I've seen so far, anyway!). Nice quite location. Morro de Jable is a 5 minute dive, or a pleasant 30 minute walk along the beach if you want to venture out of the hotel complex.

The only thing I could fault is the gym - a couple of the things in there are broken...One of the foot straps on the rower has snapped and one of the cross-trainers makes a terrible clanging noise when it goes round. I wouldn't let that ruin my holiday though - minor faults. Apart from that, the hotel is faultless We're considering coming back next Easter, which is unusual for us as we never go to the same place twice!

It is windy, but you've to expect that in Fuerteventura. Great for tanning, anyway! On the way back to the airport we took a car trip inland as we had most of the day to kill. Oasis Park is worth a visit - go early though as the shows finish at 3.30ish. We visited a few of the inland villages, such as Antigua. Driving through the volcanic area is a breathtaking - be sure to drive carefully though as there are a lot of sharp bends a drops!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank JulieFrOrmskirk
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Dear guest,

In first place, Thank you for choose Iberostar Playa Gaviotas for so a important moment like holidays. We are delighted to hear that you felt welcome.

We are glad to read that your child has enjoyed our Miniclub program. The entertainment team work hard with illusion to make our guest feel welcome. Especially the children

Thank very much for your positive comments regarding our cuisine and the amiability of our staff both elements are of prime importance to Iberostar. For us is very important that our guest feel welcome.
It will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities. We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

We went back to this hotel for the second year on the trot, which is something we never normally do. We took a weeks all inclusive option and enjoyed every minute of it.

The hotel is well placed right over the beach with a large pool terrace that has great views. The staff are very firendly and helpful even to the extent that when i left my hat on the terrace one night the following day someone had recovered it and to my surprise it was behind the reception desk waiting for me to pick it up.

There is a pool bar that does salads and hot snacks through the main part of the day and you get the fun of pulling your own beer, which whilst not CAMRA quality is a good San Miguel.

The food in the main restaurant is good and varied. Every night there was a choice of about four different fish dishes and the same number of meat dishs with vegitarian options as well.

The hotel has a "bowling bar" with two lanes. There are also live sports on TV and games tables such as air hockey. This made for an enjoyable diversion in the evening before the entertainment started.

It has to be said that the entertainment was the weakest part of the hotel. The animation team worked hard but it was generally amusing for the worng reasons. It has to be said that the mainly german guests at the hotel appeared to love it so it may be a cultural thing.

The evening bar often had some liveic and singing of the piano man style which was a more relaxing and enjoyable way to finsh the days off. Despite the curse of babel we managed to make some good friends whilst we were there and we really wonder why some people cmplain about our european neighbours. Despite all the urban myths we didnt have a problem finding sun beds round the pool and often didn't arrive until after 10am.

We really recommend this hotel for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday. Be warned through it is really easy to eat and drink far too much than is good for you.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank MNMSheffield
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manage at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you’re your time to write your review about Iberostar Iberostar Playa Gaviotas . It is a pleasure for us to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us especially in so a special moment like holidays.

We are delighted with your powerful and positive words describing our complete services and facilities.

For us is a priority to take care of the visitors properly and fulfill our guest expectations.
Iberostar crew will continue working to improve our services and facilities to make our guest feel welcome. We hope you will have an opportunity to return and enjoy our Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I went with my family for the first time to fuerteventura and we were really pleased with the location. The hotel is situated close to one of the
island's most gorgeous beaches. The hotel offers all amenities you expect from a four star hotel. A special mention to the staff, you make your guests feel really comfortable. Excellent vacation, we would like.to come back!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank ugrua
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for your motivating words. It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole Iberostar Playa Gaviotas area and we are glad to hear that we succeeded. We also would like to thank you for pointing out our staff. We are delighted to hear that you felt welcome in our hotel.

We certainly will keep on working to maintain our high quality service and keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are grateful that you value us so highly. Thank you very much for your motivating comment.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just came back- we stayed from 10-17 of march - me my hubby and 3 girls under the age of 8.
I very much enjoyed the staff, they made our stay pleasant - I loved the entertainers, they gave a good show, some of them are very talented- some shows better then others- our room was very clean, we had a ocean view and sun most of the day!
The food is just ok, nothing too fancy, it's buffet style- but we had acess to the park and palace- I would say park had a better buffet- the only thing I was a little disappointed with was the fact that no one told us that we could go eat at the other resorts- also everything is German and the resort does cater to the Germans - keep that in mind!!!!!
My kids loved the mini club- gave me and my hubby a little break!
The beach amazing, it is a little windy, but we didn't mind!
We had a good time and again thank you to the staff!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Merby746
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Dear guest,

We are delighted to read that you felt welcome in our Iberostar . Thank you for describing with so a powerful words our complete services and facilities.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed our entertainment program. The entertainment team work very hard with illusion and enthusiasm to make all our guest feel welcome. Especially the children

Thank you for highlighting out the personal service and friendliness of our staff .This is very important aspects for us and the key to the success of our services and facilities.

Once again, we would like to thank you for your motivating words.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Made a last minute booking, delighted with the hotel layout, reception staff so polite and friendly and made you the most important person at the moment, location was superb, pool area very well laid out and never any bother in getting the sun beds (no towels early morning) Food was delicious and many many choices enough to satisfy everyone so don't believe what you read in some reviews. Good quality drinks not just local and I like the way in the bar you just can help yourself to a beer. The young ladies in the restaurant welcoming you each evening, always with a smile and a willingness to help if needed, bar staff and restaurant staff so polite and efficient -Considering that as an english couple we were outnumbered by at least 20 to 1 by the german tourists, everyone was so friendly and polite and a willingness to chat to us where ever we were.
My one disappointment for someone with no manners was in the tourist shop outside as you go to the pool, a young Italian lady who was more bent on chatting on the phone rather than serve, I actually waited 10 minutes and bearing in mind she knew I was waiting, she carried on chatting to a point I placed my intended purchases right in front of her and left. One moment but sady it is things like this you take away with you. But reader worry not I would go back to this hotel again, I just would not go to that shop

Room Tip: Booking late I was charged a small extra fee but our room was like a suite, living area, separate be...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gordonmaximus
IberostarHoteles, Director of Sales at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear guest,

In first place, Thank you for choose Iberostar Gaviotas Playa for so a important moment like holidays. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel so much during your stay.

Make our guest feel welcome, give them an excellent service, improve each day an outstanding cuisine and make our guest delight with our hotel facilities are of prime importance to Iberostar.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

had a really good weeks break the staff are absolutely brilliant always a smile and an ola the food is good and thats from a fussy eater the whole place is kept spotless will go back again

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank stevejeannie
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

Dear guest,

First we would like to thank you for your stay in our Iberostar Playa las Gaviotas and for your nice comment. It is a delight for us to read how much you have enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for describing so good with only a feel words our complete hotel facilities and services. We continue working to improve our guest experience in our hotel.

We assure you that we will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

We would like to thank you for your motivating words.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Myself, husband and two friends stayed here for one week at the end of Jan 2012. Really nothing much to complain about although I have discovered that the full blown all-inclusive experience is not for me. Having said that, if this is your thing then I guess it is pretty good.

Staff are excellent, everyone greets you and it is cheerful and sincere. However, as a Brit in a Spanish resort it was a bit disconcerting to be greeted and spoken to in German most of the time. The hotel was full (350+ rooms) and we met only two other guests from the UK. Jandia (not just this hotel) is predominately German. Finding a bar in town that was showing the Liverpool v Man U game on the Saturday was a challenge. Also if you want to escape the AI experience in the evenings you will find the town strangely quiet, I don't know if this is the time of the year or the fact that most hotels are AI so people don't venture out. We did eat out one night at a local restaurant recommended by the hotel (sorry can't remember the name but well known and in the opposite direction from the main town) and this was excellent - possibly the best fillet steak we have eaten.

The rooms are spacious with plenty of storage for two. Bottled water is provided and replenished as required. There is a small fridge in the room. A room safe is provided for a small fee. Beach towels are also provided and changed every two days (a small deposit is required).

Pool area is pleasant and not too crowded. However at this time of the year we found the wind (they don't call this the windy Island for nothing) a tad cool. There were only a couple of days where we were comfortable lying and page turning. Beach is long, wide with yellow (not black) sand. There were more people wind surfing and kite flying than sunbathing though!

Food in the hotel is of a good standard, breakfast particularly good, plenty of choice and an 'egg station' with delicious omelettes, scrambled, fried eggs to order. Fruit smoothies by the bucketfull and excellent choice of breads, pastries, cold meats, pates, cheeses etc etc... pig heaven.

Lunch and dinner also included some excellent dishes - the highlight for me was the fish (always fresh and well cooked) and seafood, the prawns and mussells were delicious. The hotel does have an alternative to the buffet experience, on two nights per week they offer a restaurant 'themed' meal, we booked for both. The first was 'Italian' and was excellent. The second was a 'romantic' night and the food was disappointing.

Entertainment - probably just me but I hated all of it. Found the daytime people asking guests to join in aqua aerobics / archery / zumba / bingo etc etc just irritating. Dropped into the evening entertainment room on several occasions and very quickly left - although I have to say it was continually packed - obviously appealed to the majority of guests.

Now for my niggles - two of them, both really annoying and in my opinion easily fixed. Firstly, the lighting in the bathroom - I have seen this in other reviews and I absolutley agree. The lighting is not great in any part of the bathroom but the room is L shaped and the shower is in the bath in the foot of the L and there is no light - makes the whole thing look really dingy - just put a spot light in the ceiling, not difficult.

Secondly, coffee. I wake in the morning and I need a coffee - I'm not ready to do the whole breakfast thing - I just want a coffee. There is nowhere to get one unless you get dressed and go into the main restaurant. After 10:30, there are coffee machines available in the bar and in the poolside bar - why not have a machine in another public area (reception?) to cater for the many people who want a drink before breakfast. There are no tea/coffee making facilities in rooms.

In conclusion I would recommend this hotel if you don't mind being in the minority and you enjoy the all-inclusive experience. However, it is not for me...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travelbunny011
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your time and effort in writing such a kind comment about our Iberostar Playa Gaviotas. Please receive our sincere apologies for not having met your expectations.

The head departments have been informed about your comments. We will learn about all your comments and try to improve our performance.

Thank you for highlighting out the personal service and friendliness of our staff as well our outstanding cuisine and varied gastronomy. Those are very important aspects for us and the key to the success of our services and facilities.

Kind regards,

#3 of 14 in Playa de Jandia
IBEROSTAR Fuerteventura Palace
IBEROSTAR Fuerteventura Palace
#2 of 14 in Playa de Jandia

Been to IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas? Share your experiences!