This was our fourth visit to a hotel and location we first discovered in 2005, when the hotel was operated by Riu. The hotel's small size means that it is great for a peaceful, relaxing holiday. The facilities, staff, food and room cleanliness remain generally very good and we have always enjoyed the sea view from the rooms.
A disappointment this time was that our room was located on the first level of rooms, above the kitchen and restaurant, and so we were disturbed by ongoing noise below our room from around 645am. I recommend that the hotel installs soundproofing to prevent other guests experiencing such disturbance. After our first night, we requested a change of room at reception, explaining why. We did not feel that the gentleman on duty showed sufficient concern about our dissatisfaction. He was unable to offer an immediate solution and it was left as a "we'll see what we can do" situation. Reception did not contact us again about this and next morning I spoke to the lady on duty, who said that as we had not contacted them again, they had assumed that we were happy. I was not impressed by this. I said that we would still like to move, but I was informed that there were no rooms available on the second floor and that the only available other rooms on our level were one next door to ours (which would have had the same noise problem) and one at the far end of the hotel, which had a much less attractive view than the room we had been given. The receptionist was very honest about that and when I was given the opportunity to see the room I found that she was right. So we decided to stay where we were. What made this more annoying was that when I had booked the holiday, I had specifically requested a room on the upper floor. I told the receptionist this and she informed me that my tour operator, Sovereign, had not passed on my request. She showed me their paperwork, which confirmed it. I will be taking this up with Sovereign.
I have two other recommendations:
1. The hotel should upgrade its internet services. The wifi is free (just for one week, but that probably suits most guests) but you have to go through the login process every time you wish to access the service: annoying. For those without mobile devices, the hotel has just one, rather old-looking PC (quaintly entitled 'Internet Corner') in the lounge of the bar and access is pay-as-you-go via the insertion of coins. This is very antiquated, not to mention mean-spirited and unattractive. In a hotel which aspires to 4-star standard, wifi and internet access should be like hot running water: always free and always available!
2. The hotel should enforce its rule, stated on the sign by the pool, which forbids the reserving of sunbeds. Towels, bags and other items were regularly placed on the beds from as early as 7am every morning to indicate that they 'belonged' to somebody already. There was no evidence (e.g. the removal of such items) that hotel staff had any intention of doing anything about this childish and irritating practice.
Overall, the standard of the hotel remains very good, although my partner and I cannot escape the feeling that it has lost just a little of the personal touch that was so apparent to us when we first visited the hotel eight years ago. All hotels are of course businesses, but if the guests in a 4-star establishment are made to feel this, then the hotel is not performing as it should.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located near Morro Jable. 2-storey building. Located on the beachfront in Jandia beach (several steps lead to the beach). 300 m from Morro Jable. 1 km from a shopping centre. 90 km from the airport. 200 m from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your XQ El Palacete reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Xq El Palacete Hotel Playa De Jandia
- XQ El Palacete Playa De Jandia, Fuerteventura