We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Mediterrani in Cala Blanca. The resort was very quiet (mid May 2014) and unspoilt and the hotel was clean and comfortable set in delightful grounds. The staff were generally friendly and helpful, especially the reception staff who were always cheerful. The entertainments couple worked tirelessly days and evenings and there were always a couple of activities each morning and afternoon that they organised. These included archery, rifle shooting, boules and quoit darts and other simple group activities. In the evening there was bingo, quizzes and displays of flamenco dancing as well as live or taped music.. There were always quiet places to drink coffee or beer and read if one desired. The Saga lounge was small but adequate and free tea and coffee making facilities always available. Biscuits arrived at 4.00pm!
The local busses stopped right outside the hotel garden so it was easy to get around and visit lots of other places in the area. Reception had bus time tables and other information.
A stunning but small local beach was just over the road (it had a bar!) and ten minutes up the road brought you to local shops, restaurants and bars. The hotel pool was served well with sun loungers and with easy access to the outside bar if desired although drinks were generally expensive.
The holiday was let down somewhat by the restaurant. The breakfasts were very good and orderable packed lunches were a delight with rolls and fresh fruit and we couldn't eat all that they put in our lunch bag! However, the main meals were a bit of a disappointment. They were remarkably similar each day - lunchtime or evening - and were rather bland. The soups tasted nothing like their description and seemed to be the same, whatever the title, with a grey or khaki colour added. There was very little meat on the menu and those dishes that purported to contain meat were either gristle or lumps of bone with very little meat on them. Most of the fish was very overcooked and, again, very very boney. The deserts were the same each day with the slight variation in that the large chocolate blancmange was in a different shaped bowl or mould. Some of the staff at the restaurant were rather grumpy and lacked any "bedside manner". We often spoke of ordering a packed lunch and eating it instead of a main meal at the hotel. Wine was provided with main meals but (as mentioned in a previous review) was very unpalatable. We felt that the hotel was possibly having to drastically economise on food quality and wine in the current financial climate. Such a shame as the hotel is lovely and in the most delightful position with uninterrupted views to the sea at the back and across the fields and woods at the front.
We would consider a return visit if the food was upgraded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Globales Mediterrani Hotel is located in the friendly residential area of Cala Blanca, 4km from Ciutadella, the former capital of Menorca and 50km from the airport. The hotel a few meters from the beach with its crystal blue waters and just outside the hotel you will find a bus stop with connections to the historical centre of Ciutadella. The virgin coves of the southern coast are only 12km away. The hotel has 180 comfortable non-smoking rooms and are fully equipped and surrounded by tranquil gardens. Most of the rooms have a sea view from which on a clear day it’s possible to see the island of Mallorca. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Globales Mediterrani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mediterrani Hotel Cala Blanca
- Globales Mediterrani Cala Blanca, Spain - Minorca