“Wonderful holiday”

Cleopatra Hotels Kris Mari
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Yet again the Kris Mari and Kardamena did not disappoint. Our third time in 12 months. This hotel has it dead right. All the staff from the maids down to the management are all very helpful and friendly. We had live music one night, it was brill with the Manager showing not only can he run a superb hotel he can also play a mean lead guitar. We just didn't want to come home. We are planning to return next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have just returned from a week in Kardamena and can not complain about anything during my stay at the Kris Mari. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The hotel areas were smart and well presented. The rooms were adequate and equipped with a fridge, plenty of mirrors and the option to pay for a security box and air con (well worth it). The towels were changed every other day and the rooms were cleaned to a good standard daily.

The pool area was clean and tidy and there was a good balance of people around the pool and people were very friendly. There was never a wait for sunbeds and the selection of drinks and food from the bar was great and the staff were really friendly.

The only slight negative is the bathrooms in the rooms, they could possibly do with updating as they are starting to look a bit tired.

The hotel was very good value for money and I would return if visiting Kos again.

2  Thank emloujen82
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have just got back from the Kris Mari. I stayed for one week and I would most definitely stay here again.i was travelling with my friend and we both agreed this was a great hotel and great location as its literally a 30 second walk to the beach :)

We arrived with three other parties, check in was quick and efficient and we were very quickly in our rooms, changed and ready to hit the pool!

The rooms
Our room didn't have a pool view (but this didn't bother us at all as all we did was sleep here!) the twin room is an ok size, has a small fridge, comfy beds, was clean (and continued to be cleaned throughout the stay), big built in cupboard, safety deposit box (10 euros for the week, bargain price to look after your valuables), air con (5 euros a day - we tried the first night without it but paid for the rest of the week as it was so hot, 40 degrees in day and around 32 at night)
The bathroom is vey basic - but we were expecting it! The shower wouldn't stay in the holder so had to hold it up to wash hair but only had to be in there a few minutes so it wasn't a big deal to us (might be to some people)

The hotel
Lovely clean hotel, nice comfy lounge area, reasonable prices at outdoor pool bar and inside bar, tasty food which was cheap and cheerful. Breakfast is included (toast, cheese, cereal, fruit etc) it's simple but ok for a quick bite in the morning but finishes at 9:30, if you miss it don't worry though because the hotel foods cheap and so are the beach bars near by -paradise especially lovely)

The pool
Great sized pool, especially in comparison to others I've seen in this resort, cleaned every day and never had to rush for a sun bed as there were loads. There are sunshades and umbrellas to provide shade too.

During my stay there were all kinds of ages from babies/toddlers up to elderly people and everyone was friendly and chatting around the pool.

The resort has changed a lot since I last went, it's much quieter in comparison but still lovely! The bars are quiet in the local area, but the main square is a 7-8 minute walk away where the bars are busier! There are lovely restaurants alongside the beach and harbour and we didn't have one bad meal! Fave places were stone roses bar, 1960s bar, paradiso (right next to hotel and great priced drinks) and to eat Yiannis and captains were our defo faves!

On the whole a brilliant week and I would go back in an instant

The pool

On the whole a brilliant week and I would go back in an instant

1  Thank Gemma H
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here on a double honeymoon with my wife, her sister, and husband for one week at the end of July.

The hotel is centrally located but far enough away from the centre of town to avoid most of the 18-30 crowd, although we did experience some issues with noisy guests during our stay.

By and large the hotel is clean, however we often did not receive fresh clean towels during our stay.

Rooms are extremely basic, with paid for air conditioning (5 euros a day) which didn't seem to function especially well. Room safe was 10 euros a week, but was far too small to accommodate our laptops, being only just big enough for the camera and my ipad. The beds were hard as rock and combined with the single pillow and heat (even WITH aircon ) caused us some real problems sleeping throughout the week, especially with my back. During our stay my wife also broke out in a multitude of bites on her legs, during checkout we noted a large number of black dots on the mattress, I don't know if they were bed bugs, but they looked like it to me.

The pool area has plenty of sunbeds available and the pool is generally very clean, the pool bar also has food of both reasonable quality and price. I cannot speak to the main bar, but the staff at both were all very friendly. The only real downside to the pool is the hotel rule that you cannot bring in any food or drink to the pool area, this isn't for health and safety as you can with items purchased from the bar. Now I appreciate wanting to make your bar etc profitable, but when this includes water, which signs stated it did, its going too far (especially in 40 degree heat). I would also not recommend going for the hotels breakfast at 5 euros per person, per day. The selection is relatively poor when you can pick up a full cooked breakfast on the waterfront, 5 minutes walk away for 4 euros, or the same items from Louis supermarket for much less.

Checkout time is at midday however at the end of your stay, you have the option to keep your room until 8pm for 25 euros. As they're were 4 in our party, we reserved our room with plans to move all of our things into the room. The other couple in our party did this, but left a birthday cake in the fridge, noting to the cleaners as they popped out for a morning stroll not to throw anything out, this was at around 11am, and they had not yet checked out. Returning half an hour later ( still half an hour before checkout time) they discovered that their fridge had been emptied of all food including my brother in laws birthday cake.

On complaint and a request for reimbursement the hotel were unapologetic and said if they were to reimburse us it would come out of the cleaners salary. Now I'm sorry but I don't appreciate a guilt trip when the hotel is the one in the wrong. A final note is that as this was booked for our honeymoon by my father in law, he'd requested honeymoon flowers etc on arrival and a sea view, neither of these materialised, although its not clear if that was down to the hotel or travel agent.

In summary, I think we might go back to Kos, but if we do, we will not be returning to the Kris Mari.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peter R
manovrb9, General Manager at Cleopatra Hotels Kris Mari, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Sir,
many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. i would like to kindly bring to your attention that as mentioned in ALL contracts with ALL collaborating tour operators, air conditioning is payable locally and costs 5 euro/night, so nothing hidden there. also it is mentioned that linen change is twice every week. breakfast is continental and for a continental breakfast it is rather rich. regarding the cake incident, it was a mistake, the mistake was recognized and paid for. the phrasing is a matter of taste. the point is that the mistake was admitted by us and we happily paid for it. our hotels are a very honest & friendly product, i feel sorry if we failed to meet your expectations, however i feel that for a 3* BB hotel, our service is friendly and honest. I also believe that there has to be a realistic expectation - value for money. and for the rates that we charge , the level of services is realistically very good, something underlined by our repeat guests (and there are a lot).
many thanks
Manos Hatzikonstantinos
Cleopatra Hotels General Manager

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Travelled to Kardemena for the 5th time with elderly mother and two teenage boys.
Smooth transfer to Hotel albeit, young people on bus were a bit over excited but the language was awful.

Arrival at hotel at 2am, had to fill in forms with all passenger information, and handed two keys for rooms 107 and 108. Two sons had 107 and me and mum 108. Didn’t really take much in as were both very tired. Realised that bed was very hard and pillow was like a hard stone finally got some sleep.

Next morning, down to breakfast – totally adequate, 3 cereals, greek yoghurt, peach slices, bread for toasting (brown and white) butter, jams and honey, rolls were available and also cheese, croissants, and biscuits, juice and water plus tea and coffee. Some mornings there was lovely lemon cake instead of croissants and watermelon instead of peaches but all in all it was refreshing and adequate.

Pool area had lots of beds and plenty of shade and you needed the shade for some days it was 44 degrees.

Two types of sunbeds, padded or mesh, the padded ones looked good but to be honest were so flat it was very hard to get comfortable. The pool bar was very good, food excellent value for money.

Rooms
I’ve stayed in the Classic twice, and the Superior once and I have to be honest that the Kris Mari’s rooms were the poorest as was the cleanliness. During our 14 night stay we had clean towels 4 times and we had to ask twice to get them, don’t think the bedding was changed at all as mum had a small lipstick stain on her pillow case from 2nd night and it was still there when we left. The bathroom floor was never cleaned or was the room one. The mirrors and balcony door were filthy. A.C . is 30 euros a week and although we were promised it free from holiday company this was not the case and had to pay 120 euros for two rooms quite a bite out of the budget. Room safes are 18 euros for 2 wks.

Resort
Party place if you want it, quiet bars if you don’t. Prices are good 2.00 euros upwards for a pint, same for a soft drink, cocktails are 2.50 upwards and a glass of wine was 2.50 also.

Restaurants
We ate out very well and the only meal I didn’t enjoy was at Captains down at the harbour, felt it was too busy, felt rushed and the food wasn’t that great maybe just an off night as I’ve been before and it was excellent before. Ate at Manos several times and although a bit more expensive the food was lovely with either cake or melon complimentary at end of meal. Paradise and Anna’s further along are also lovely. A cheap alternative is the Mediterrean huge portions and excellent value for money. Lunch at the El Greco was awesome and you can use the sunbeds on beach same for Manos, Paradise and Anna’s.

Would I go back to Kardemena, probably not been so many times now and it is getting a bit shabby, lots of bars closed down.

I wouldn’t return to the Kris Mari as the cleanliness really lets it down. The night time bar which i didnt use but did sit in waiting for coach to airport was awful, its inside, dark and stuffy, there is an outside area but is small and one table faces a wall??? Didnt find it welcoming at all

I would give this property a 2.5 but system doesnt allow it so its a 2.for general cleanlness

Room Tip: I requested a room overlooking pool but didnt get one but had a side view to mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kimmiglasgow

Dear Madam,
I am very sorry that we failed to please you.Our company is based on customer satisfaction and contact with our guests. I was present when you asked for towels at the reception once and were given immediately. i guarantee you, if only we had been informed regarding your concerns during your stay , we would have done all possible to please you, as we did, when we were informed by you. However, as i have seen in your comments, you have visited our hotels before and were pleased with the service. the decision to return to a destination or not is 100% yours, however i kindly ask you not to reject a whole resort because of one bad experience.
once again thank you for your comments
kind regards
Manos Hatzikonstantinos
Cleopatra Hootels General Manager

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Returning to this hotel after a break of six years I found things to be very much the same. The staff were all helpful and friendly as usual. My only criticism was about the night staff who appeared to have no control over people returning at 3 to 4 am, they were very rowdy and had to be warned three days running, this would have not happened under the previous management who would have jumped on it straight away, this was also remarked upon by previous guests who had also returned for a further visit. My only other comment is with regard to the cleanliness of the room occupied by my wife and I, the maid who kept the room clean and tidy appeared to lack the same detail when cleaning the balcony, there was evidence here that some one in the past had been sick on the balcony and it had been allowed to dry and it had not been thoroughly cleaned.

Room Tip: If you want sunshine throughout the day ask for a sea facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple