“Excellent family holiday”

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Truro, United Kingdom
“Excellent family holiday”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

As a family of four with two children aged 11 and 7 we thoroughly enjoyed our two-week stay at this hotel and found it very relaxing and refreshing. Overall the holiday exceeded our expectations and we do wonder if we stayed at the same place as some of the other reviewers because we have such a difference of opinion and for us the good points far outweighed the minor niggles.

The hotel itself was very clean and tidy, and everything was kept to a good standard. We had a first-floor family room on the south side of the hotel facing the pool, which was a nice location. The room was as expected and ideal for the minimal time we spent in it - one tip is that the TV had a USB socket on the back so you can watch your own films from a memory stick. We had a safe for €35 for the two weeks (mainly because we stayed at Egypt last year), but it seemed such a nice place that it probably wasn't necessary.

The restaurants were good and provided an excellent variety of food with some themed nights during the week (mexican and chinese). The kids always enjoyed their meals and even the most fussy of eaters would have found something that they could enjoy.

We spent most of our time on the beach rather than the pool and there was always plenty do there. The sea was warm and was very safe for children as it was still quite shallow even 50m out. It was also quite good for snorkeling as the sea was clear and there were quite a lot of fish about - try feeding them some bread! The pedalos and kayaks were free to use for 30 mins at a time which we frequently made use of. This is also the first holiday where I didn't have to bother about putting towels down as there were always sunbeds free at both the pool and beach.

The splashpark was fantastic and we all had a great time there. The slides were all good and had just about the right level of fear factor for our kids. The staff at the waterpark were all very good, very friendly and keen for you to enjoy yourselves while keeping safety in mind. Our son was 7 (average size) and was allowed on all the slides, although he did have to have his height checked every time. On most of the rides you had to go on a double rubber ring and some people were refused to go on some of the slides because of the weight difference between them and their child as the staff were concerned that if the weight difference was too great the ring could flip over. Lazy river was very relaxing!

In the evenings we either went to the beach bar or into town, so can't really comment of the quality of the entertainment. The cocktails were actual proper cocktails at this hotel with some effort put in and served in a glass - not what we've been used to previously which was some sort of horrible concoction served in a little plastic cup.

We went into Kardamena a few times in the evenings and enjoyed the small shops. The free bus service provided by the hotel was great and saved us spending on taxis, which would have been €9 each way.

I think a special mention has to go to all the staff at this hotel who all worked very hard and were always friendly and helpful.

A couple of things I think worth mentioning are that the pool is saltwater and can sting your eyes so bring goggles. The other thing is that halfway through our holiday they insisted on closed toe shoes and long trousers in the main restaurant and were turning some people away for not meeting the dress code.

We went on three excursions, but used Ticket Travel in Kardamena rather than First Choice, because they were less than half the price. We did the Turkey shopping trip which was good for getting some bargains. Then we did the 3 bay cruise, which was another good day out - Bubble Beach is definitely worth a visit. Then we did the 3 Island Cruise on a boat called Katerina, which was the best of the lot as we had a real character of a chap entertaining us, making this the best day of our holiday.

Having stayed at four holiday villages previously I'd say that this was our best holiday.

Room Tip: Room 248 was on the south side facing the pool and close to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
16 Thank nsl1234
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to have you as our guests!

Thank you for this review at the onset of your stay with us!
Also, of course, we wish to thank you for choosing our hotel!

We hope that the remainder of your stay was just as wonderful as the beginning and we certainly hope to have you return to us with your family, again, in the future!

The Hotel Management.
Atlantica Porto Bello Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel at the end of june. We couldnt sleep for the noisy plumbing. Loud banging/knocking noises every 15min. So annoying,as we had gone away for a rest!!! Pool and beach were good. Staff polite and helpful. Took 4days for handyman to come to fix the broken basin plug[ too late ,we managed to do it ourselves!] Food was a little repetetive and some entertainment other than the outdoor theatre.[ not our cup of tea.] would have been nice or more seating in the bar,as we went to our room a couple of nights as there was nothing to do. all in all we did have a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: choose a high room and not room 701
2 Thank julia m
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Me and my boyfriend spent a week at the Porto Bello Beach from the 21-28th June.
We were greated by very friendly and efficient staff at the reception when we arrived and check in was very quick.

Unfortunately, when we got to our room (119) we were greeted with a roof and a wall for a view. We booked a garden view, this certainly was not that!! What was shown in the pictures when booking was not at all what we were given when we arrived. The hotel was completely full that week so our room could not be changed, luckily the room was only there to sleep in but was still a dissapointment as we felt we had been missold.

Apart from this we had a great week! The staff were so lovely, special shout out to the girls at the main bar!!

Food was great, got very repetitive but we expected that.

Located only 10mins bus ride from Kardemena town which was perfect for us as we wanted to see the sights.

Overall we had an enjoyable week :)

Room Tip: If you book a garden view room, dont assume your get one. Our view was a roof with a couple of pots...
2 Thank Kelly M
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Beach, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review.

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room and even more disappointed that we couldn't change your room due to the lack of availability.

We hope that we will have a chance to host you again in the future and will have an opportunity to choose a very special room for you.

I am really glad that you had an enjoyable stay after all and thank you for you kind words.

Please contact me direct at info@portobellobeach.gr if your future plans will bring you again to our hotel, and I'll personally arrange your accommodation.

The Hotel Manager.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2014

When we initially arrived we were slightly disappointed with the bedrooms, however by simply switching the bed cover from blue over to white made the room appear a whole lot bigger and we learnt to love our room. Bathroom was small and the shower isn't very powerful but you'll get through that, however the curtain was just horrible.. that needs to go!!!!!!
Balcony was also a little on the small side, but were given a room with a fantastic room and like you say they are only for sleeping!

The food was fantastic, huge variety! Would be nice is the hotel did a a la carte restaurant but I guess that is down to you to go out into the town.

The whole hotel's cleanliness was great and the staff were top notch, some of the kindest people I have ever met, especially the waiters/kitchen staff.

The pool area was great, clean again.. Pool a little too salty though!
Always sun beds about to grab.

Beach area was lovely, again plenty of beds!

The spa was also fantastic, we had a body scrub on our first day to help the tan ;) Lovely staff, fantastic job!

The bars were great too, did lovely cocktails!!!!

I highly recommend going into the local town Kardamena and trying the food on the sea front, just incredible!!!!!!

You need to support the locals.

The entertainment in the hotel was the only downside, it was abysmal.. I think it's good for children but absolutely nothing for adults! The only very disappointing side of the holiday.

We ended up out the hotel most evenings due to this..

The bus times are a little funny but there is a local bus that goes back to the hotel and from into the town, except it can skip your hotel if no one is on it coming back so you are better getting it from town to the hotel. A taxi is also only 9 euros.

The waterpark was great, very clean, very new! Lovely staff.. we were a little older which suited us great.

Overall the hotel is fantastic and I would definitely come back in the future with my own children :)

1 Thank BeaThomas4
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2014

A family of 13 of us travelled to Kos in June for our first ever all inclusive break together. We have always stayed in Villas so this was a new experience for most of us.
We booked the hotel wanting a break for a group of mixed ages from 6 months to 75 years old! I must say that we were all very impressed and had a really lovely 10 days holiday. One of the main reasons for booking was the all inclusive and also the water park for the teenagers. We were greeted on arrival by a lovely very happy porter who whisked us away to our room taking our luggage for us on his little buggy! The reception staff were lovely and very efficient.
The water park was great for our age group but I believe that there was not much for slightly smaller children. I think it is lovely to have it included in the package though as the hotel next door had to pay for entrance. There are plenty of chairs and it was not that busy so no queuing for the slides. All I can say from reading other comments is that the staff are there for your safety to ensure that there are no accidents so abide by their rules rather than be rude to them!

The hotel itself was extremely clean and the gardens were immaculate in fact they were working on them while we were there and improving the flower beds daily.

The bedrooms were sufficient for the amount of time we spend in there. Flat screen TVs and the world cup was on so that suited some of our group! but to be honest apart from sleep, shower and get changed we hardly spent any time in the rooms. They are great for family though. We had clean towels every day (slightly excessive I though - every other day would have been fine) and the sheets were certainly changed every other day if not every day. The maids are very nice and everything was always clean and tidy after they had been. There was also a daily supply of shampoo, conditioner etc just in case you forget to take it.. like I did ! They have safes in the rooms but they wont fit a laptop. To be honest I felt my personal belongings were very safe.

The Restaurants were nice. Although I did feel more themed nights would have been good. Although there was a choice of 3 restaurants they did similar food. A word of advise though if you prefer a quiet meal then book one of the restaurants, you can go as many times as you like just put your name down in the morning. The main restaurant quietens down after about 8.15 and is less noisy. The Pizza parlour is brilliant, all of us loved it and the kids corner a good idea. The food choices are great but I decided that what I should have done was rather than have a bit of everything each night was to have one of something that way it does not feel like you are having the same thing each night. But lots to choose from fresh salads and fruit etc and again drink on tap. Its nice sitting outside on the terrace in the morning and at lunchtime. The fish restaurant at lunchtime is really lovely and I wish I had gone there more often. Again all of the staff a brilliant, under the watchful eye of the restaurant manager who in 10 days I don't think had a day off. He was very efficient. I asked for hummus one day and was provided with it the next day, now that is service ! nothing seemed too much trouble. A curry would have been nice though ! :-) but I didn't ask maybe I should have :-)

The beach is lovely, plenty of chairs and umbrellas but people do tend to go down early and put their towels on. It does however quieten down in the afternoon. The water sports on the beach are brilliant. We did lots of sports and the more you book the better deal you get, but great fun and out lot all enjoyed it and kept going back for more rides. We actually got more fun out of the water sports than we did the waterpark and the water park was one of the main reasons for booking. The sea is beautiful and clear and lots of fish around. There was quite often a breeze which was nice as the last few days got really hot.

The beach bar and staff are brilliant. Ice Cream all day, drink on tap and snacks throughout most of the day, good music! This was really a great part of the holiday as we spend a lot of time on the beach, and it was great for the kids to help themselves to drink etc. its nice during the evening as well.

The bar in the evening was lovely but I felt the atmosphere lacked a bit of music, either background music or a singer would have been nice occasionally. But then the World Cup was on so they might not have been happy! The entertainment in the evening if I am totally honest was not brilliant and I think this could be improved, although I am sure they tired hard.

Internet in main reception and sometimes closer to our rooms, beach towels available for a 10 euro deposit refunded at end of your holding, towels could be changed 3 times a week. Courtesy hotel bus into Kardamena which was useful, taxi 9 euros, the usual tourist shops, nice harbour, we tried one restaurant one night which was ok but nothing brilliant, not worth eating out for! Gosh I think that is it ! We didn't have any toddlers so didn't use the kids club so cannot comment on that although it is not run by Thompson or First Choice.

So Porto Bello Beach Hotel, many thanks for such a very happy holiday, for which we will have some lovely motorise for many years to come, along with our 300 + photographs !

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor facing the pool at the end of the resort close to the beach, this was id...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank xjolovestotravel
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is the third time we have been on holiday in Greece and this is the best! Lovely hotel in a great setting. Pool is lovely and big (only complaint, a bit too salty!) and private beach was just wonderful, with a lovely beach bar. Food lovely and varied, as were the drinks, great cocktails. Staff were all lovely and welcoming, special thanks to the cleaner, bar staff and restaurant staff... cannot praise it enough, we will be returning!

4 Thank Julia P
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Beach, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such a positive review.

We really appreciate your kind comments and we are looking forward to seeing you again at Atlantica Porto Bello Beach during your next visit to Greece.

The Hotel Management.
Atlantica Porto Bello Beach.
Amberg, Germany
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We spent a week at Porto Bello Beach.I researched a lot before we booked this hotel. I always try to find a hotel that our whole family would enjoy-nice beach,great pool,slides,....When I saw this one with the new waterpark,my kids were soooo excited!
HUGE disappointment!No kids under 140cm were allowed on the slides! I can understand at some "crazy" ones,but on all!!??The lazy river was way too lazy!You had to push yourself that you would move a little.The splash-pool for the little ones-maybe 5-6year olds would enjoy it.My little boy,2years, did not like it.
The pool at the hotel was very salty,we stayed mostly at the beach,which was very nice.
The rooms are very spacious and clean.Also the landscaping was beautiful.Everywhere flowers,palm trees,...just gorgeous.
The food was ok,but did not really impressed me.There are three specialtly restaurants-you basically get the same as in the main restaurant-maybe 3-5 other things.
Staff was always very nice and helpful.
I can't say we did not had a nice vacation.But, knowing what I know now( esp.the waterpark) I would book a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank wombat231
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Lakitira Suites
Lakitira Suites
#10 of 39 in Kardamena

Been to Atlantica Porto Bello Beach? Share your experiences!