“Great relaxing holiday”

and 1 more site!
Atlantica Porto Bello Beach
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Family holiday for 6 with ages 11 to 63. Stayed 2 weeks july/ aug and had a wonderful stay.
Great pool. Was concerned saltwater but was not an issue ,perfect temperature,as someone suggested wearing old pair of sunglasses in pool good idea. Greatful for the extra bouyancy by end of holiday!
staff wonderful and hotel and rooms kept immaculate.
Great shallow beach,with plenty sun beds and free pedalos.
drinks were good with cocktails included.lager was not to my taste but others enjoyed.
Kids loved free ice cream and shakes available from beach bar most of the day,great view from here.
Entertainment team charming and do not hassle you.
Eveningsin bar are quiet with most people enjoying board games or watching shows in theatre. Nice mix of nationalities. Kids enjoyed free wifi in lounge area which seemed decent quality.
Food was buffet style but good quality and plentiful.we ate a different meal nearly every night. Restaurants are also Buffett with less choice but nicer ambiance.
Free bus into kardamena was very reliable.
For a quiet relaxing holiday this was a great hotel.accomdates all ages and even those looking for nightlife could find it in kardamena.good value for money.
Noted comments from recent guests re birds and flies. When we stayed was odd fly in restaurant but no more than at home.odd sparrow came in to say hello, but they had good table manners and were no problem.
Aircraft do fly over very regularly but did not bother us.
Overall great staff,clean,decent plentiful food, plenty sunbeds and not too crowded.would stay again as would all family.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife, two kids ( 3 and 1 ) and myself have just returned from a 7 night stay at this hotel. As much as the hotel is nice there was some points which really disappointed us. Here's a summary of our views of the Porto Bello Beach hotel in Kardamena, Kos.

First the good points.

The hotel is very clean. Thinking back there is nothing I can say to detract from the cleanliness of the hotel. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful and some deserve a special mention. Luba in the lobby bar and the chap keeping the beach tidy, were both great with our kids.

The room was a good size and clean with a very large bathroom. Rooms were cleaned daily and towels refreshed daily.

The beach was lovely and although at first it may seem very crowded, I never felt at any point that we didn't have our own space. The water was cold at first, but once you were in was very warm and as other reviewers have stated the beach is very safe for kids with a very gradual increase in depth.

Never had any problems getting sun loungers beside the pool, in fact some days we pretty much had the kids pool to ourselves.

If you do decide to stay here it's well worth a visit into Kardamena town. It won't take you long to see it all, but it was worth a visit. We went in for a few hours and had lunch in a restaurant called Captains - very nice and worth a visit. Free bus in to town was punctual and plenty of them.

Now for the not so good points,..

You've read the reports about flies, it's true. Flies were in abundance wherever you ate. Not so much about the pool or down the beach but very much so in the main restaurant. This became very annoying and off-putting. The small birds flying around the main restaurant didn't help either.

Some reports suggest the food isn't so good and choice in the main buffet is lacking. I am not a fussy eater, but unfortunately I found this to be true. There was no kids menu and the remaining choices were not suitable for kids, so we found our kids having to eat pasta most days for both lunch and dinner.

The pools were saltwater, but we knew this. In hindsight, this would have put us off staying here as it isn't so good for our 3 year old who likes to swim without goggles. On the subject of pools, the water was freezing in the main pool and very cold in the kids pool. Perhaps part of the reason we had our choice of sun loungers !? Can't recall seeing many kids in the pools at all during this week.

I can't comment on evening entertainment as we didn't go to any of it, but the theatre was at the top of the hill between this and the Royal. We did take the kids to the mini-disco though. The animation team although working very hard and very long hours were very impersonal and made no real effort (that we saw) to bond with the kids.

In the main lobby bar (which was very nice) you had to then go downstairs to use the toilets - an inconvenience more than anything, but a severe lack of baby changing facilities.

In general not very many British holidaymakers, which is fine if that's what you want. With kids who will most likely want to make new friends it can be a bit of a challenge.

Also manners ( or lack of ) of some people was to be desired. Although not a fault of the hotel I do think it goes hand in hand with the people who tend to use the hotel.

I do hope you find this review useful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank rk74
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Just got back from the Porto bello today , spent a week there from the 6th of September . I found this a tricky review as I have mixed feelings . Firstly the rooms , we were given an upgrade to a suite which was very nice but even this had a shower over a bath which seemed quite old and difficult to make it stay on the wall . Never bumped into the room cleaner but they kept the room clean and bed linen was changed regularly . Not much more to say about the room really.The pool area is lovely with more than enough sun beds so we found no need to reserve them but some still did . There is a pool bar with a swim up side which you can easily walk into as well . Also there is a children's pool but even though we had no children with us I noticed it has a lack of shade that children need so it wasn't used as much at it could be . This hotel has a private beach which has sun beds , a children's play area and a lovely beach bar which was by far my favourite . There is a lobby bar as well with a veranda and some low key live music on some nights . The animation team worked tirelessly to entertain but didn't hassle you if you wanted to be quite so thank you to them . They also provide you with evening shows and a kiddies early show , please don't expect too much but they try hard . The bar and service staff are all really friendly and I must give a special mention to the girls in the beach bar who make you so welcome and mix you great drinks . THE FOOD , I could always find something to eat but I also found it very repetitive and sometimes not very warm let alone hot. This is supposed to be a four star hotel and even in the other Italian and Greek restaurant it's still buffet style with basically the same food as the main restaurant . There is a fish restaurant at lunchtimes as well , but all the other restaurants have to be booked the day before . My main complaint about the eating areas is the flies !!! Flies everywhere but loads in the fish restaurant , and yes I know we get flies everywhere but what is wrong in finding covers for food ? There was lots I didn't eat because the flies had got there fist and they were all over the food which I found personally off putting . I hope the management read this and don't just shrug there shoulders. Must mention the check in at 1am in the morning we were given our key and then it was left up to us to ask directions to it ? Not good and I actually found the reception area not very customer friendly and the hotel as a whole lacking in information which could be so easily sorted by information sheets in the rooms. Must also say this place is not for people who are not good on there feet , quite a lot of slopes and steps everywhere . In my opinion this hotel is not quite a four star mainly due to the food not being so good , the flies with your food and lack of communication. Lastly the airport at Kos is simply a nightmare no more to say on that . But it's like walking back in time . All in all some of the hotel was good some really not so good but I found none of it great. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Try one near the pool area then you are central.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 4chrissie
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Porto Bello Beach Hotel in June 2012 – we’re both 28 and wanted a nice, relaxing, quiet holiday but with the chance of some night life if we wanted it! We booked this hotel through Going Places in Shrewsbury, we were at the travel agents Saturday and found this hotel, I always check reviews first so I came home and come onto Trip Advisor – most of the reviews were good so we decided to book!! What a great decision that was!! The Porto Bello Beach is a wonderful hotel – it’s really big and apartments scattered all around the resort! The room was really spacious and cleaned very day with fresh lined and towels. Our room was on the ground floor and was close to the pool so we didn’t have to walk far – some of the rooms are elevated slightly but not a great deal! There is one pool at this hotel which is really big and shaped!! It has a swim up pool bar which I love! I was there all day!!! Staying on all inclusive you can get anything and everything from the bars! Cocktails, beers, champagne!!! The pool is a salt water pool which really stings yours eyes/nose/throat if you go under!! Not sure why it’s salt water!? The hotel itself is really big – there are 4 restuarants – the Italian (best lasagne I have ever tasted), Greek, Fish and the main restaurant where your standard 3 meals a day are served! Food was really good in all restaurants – a visit to the Italian is a MUST!!! There was a good range of food in the main restaurant and had different dishes each night! The bar serves on All Inclusive until 1am which is great!! There are TVs in the reception/bar area at night but there isn’t any other entertainment! There is an outdoor ‘theatre’ where the entertainment staff put on different shows each night but that’s only an hour or so – this hotel would be perfect if they had even back ground music playing but saying that we wanted a peaceful holiday and we got it!! The hotel is just across the road from the beach, you walk through an underpass which is well lit at nights! There is a pool bar which serves your All Inclusive drinks and snacks! Lovely location right on the beach – the beach is lush!!! Really clear waters and plenty of sun loungers all free!! A water sport hut is on the beach that we share with the sister hotel Porto Bello Royal!! Really nice lads working here – so friendly!! We did Jet Ski, Parasailing and Crazy UFO couch!! All amazing!! Would definately recommend booking with them – they do deals if you book a few things with them! Don’t take their first offer!!!! People are right when they say the hotel is full of Italians and Germans! Mainly Italians but they are ok, we wanted a quiet romantic holiday for the two of us so it was just what we wanted!! The hotel does a free shuttle bus that runs into Kardamina daily and until mid evening! We took this bus a few times and is great! We went out 1 night in Kardamina and that’s where all the young ones play!!! It was quite busy, full of pubs so it was fun!! You can share facilities with the sister hotel which is next door – they have 12 pools! We went there one day for a look but I wasn’t overly impressed! Myself I found it to be a lot older people and it was really quiet! I like a bit of something in the day!! At the Porto Bella Beach they have an entertainment team which are great, they aren’t pushy to make you do things! Friendly and fun guys!! They do daily aqua aerobics, games etc! They aren’t there for long in the day!!! All in all this hotel is great – great rooms, great food, great staff, would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a lovely, relaxing good holiday!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 23Amy08
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Yep, this place is so good we actually came 3 years in a row, I'm writing this now as we thought we should try something else this year and boy did we realise just how spoilt we have been. We went to Suntopia Tropical in Turkey this year, bit of a boo boo. So here is a long overdue recommendation for Porto Bello Beach.
The 2 big factors were the fantastic food and the so freindly staff, the hotel was so clean and the family room so spacious, 2 balcony's and a small rest area in front of the TV. A lovely clean pool (salt water in case it matters to you) and a great beach (take some bread down and feed the fish, great with goggles). The Canoes and Pedloes are free all day and great fun with the kids. There are other watersports available at a cost. The whole hotel, both inside and out, including the toilets were continually being cleaned. The beach was private and free sunbeds, this area was also kept clean and tidy. Sea was fab for kids, shallow and sandy. All the staff, from management to cleaners were friendly, welcoming and always had a smile. The food was faultless, as with all "all inclusive" the food will be repeated at some point, but the quality was good, there were theme nights and was often a roast at the top end of the food hall. Each night there would be a chef cooking a "special" for that night. Ice creams were avaialble from 10.00am right through for the kids and it was help yourself. Ice cream was also available in the dinner hall at night a big plus for the kids as they often didn't want the fancy cakes on offer. Breakfast were also great, ranging from fresh fruit and yoghurts, to boiled eggs, french toast, full english, continental, and of course freshly made crepes. There was always a huge selection of fresh bread and fruit. There was also a fish restaurant open at lunchtimes and an Italitan and Greek Restuarant - booking was required for these but were all part of the all inclusive. The entertainment team worked hard and very long hours as they also put the shows on in the ampitheatre at night. These were great entertainment for both adults and kids. There is a bus stop just outside that will take you into Kos and the hotel run a free courtesy bus into Kardemena (not that great and beach not very clean ) We didn't do any excursions as we just felt so totally chilled out and relaxed. I just know that we will be back there at some point and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Rob P
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Beautiful hotel, well maintained, thoroughly clean, rooms cleaned every day, along with clean towels, air con was fantastic, when it broke one night they came and fixed as soon as it was reported at 1AM, mattress was a bit hard though.
Fantastic food, wide selection every meal, we never struggled to find something to eat even with a vey fussy 4 year old.
Brilliant pools, absolutely huge beautiful big pool, kids pool good size both very clean.
Private Beach, subway under the road from the hotel to the beach, even a bar down on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just come back from a week at the Porto bello beach, perfect location with beach bar, free sunbeds on beach, great beach, swim up pool bar- (if only one critisism that is the pool bar can be a little slow on serving as there was usually only one serving, so in my opinion should make the soft drinks machine a 'self serve' I have suggested this to the hotel. That aside everything else superb, extremely clean rooms and surroundings. All staff really happy and friendly. Will be returning next year. although we booked with Thomas Cook this year and I believe they are not going into this hotel next year, so will be booking with first choice. The hotel next door the 'Porto bello royal' next door is no where near as nice as the Porto Bello Beach, in my opinion.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank PJAndrews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
#4 of 39 in Kardamena
Kalimera Mare Hotel
Kalimera Mare Hotel
#10 of 39 in Kardamena

Been to Atlantica Porto Bello Beach? Share your experiences!