“Almost a good resort...if only.”

Lakitira Resort & Village
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reading, United Kingdom
“Almost a good resort...if only.”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Family consisted of one 14 year old one 17 year old a 21 year old with special needs and mum and dad.
Wed for 14 nights. The Wed flight was ok althoug you get to the hotel towards midnight it does mean you can go to bed and start refreshed the following day. The transfer from the airport is 15 minutes and in fact we cleared the airport in less than 20 minutes mark warner staff are on hand to male the transfer easy.
Arrival seemed a bit like hi di hi with several members of uniformed Mark Warner crew welcoming the bus over entheusiastically and I couldn't help but think this was written in the contract somewhere.
Transfer to the rooms was easy the bags being delivered without the need for the tipping.
Only one electronic card key per room .. get further ones programmed from reception ( no extra charge). The card key not only opens the door it also sits in a holder inside the door and in its absence no room electrics work so we found keep one in there at all times and the A/C keeps the room cold and more importantly the small fridge cold.

We had two rooms with ours having an annexe which housed our special need daughter. The room itself was the standard family room with a bathroom. It had A/C which worked well, a small fridge, television ( BBC world News CCN and one cartoon channel were the english language options ) The bathhroom was adequate having a shower attached to the bath although I found that hot water depended on the time of day it was required....forget it at 8am or from 6pm. There was enough stoarge space and a key safe was provided. The balcony had a space drier for tolwels andd the odd garment.
We were on the top floor ( 3) although the sea view was limited it was light and airy and serviced with a good lift.

Hotel:- Reception...a bit dated and suffers from the lack of A/C. The only bit in operation seemed to be to service the staff behind the counters. To sit for nay length of time was sweaty to say the least. There are three computer terminals in here ( not ideal in the heat) cost of hire 10e per hour.
Main bar...opens 6pm to 1am.
Pint of lager 3.50e
any cocktail....5e
Childs cocktail ( e.g Shirley temple 3e)
coke,Fanta (2.50e)
Large Glass of wine 6e
Thus a quick family round before dinner... pint of lager, 2 cokes a shiley temple and a large glass of Rose = 17.50e or about £16..so its not exactly cheap and more expensive than a uk pub ( beer about the same I noted).

Main restaurant....buffet style...a bit crammed when the hotel is busy and lots of children so you have to dodge the child with the plate , There is very limited space on the outside and no tables for 5's so we were forced inside where it becomes very hot and sweat drips down your back when you eat. we found sanctuary in the ineer part of the restaurant next to the serving area which was air conditioned but souless.
The food was ok and even my children could ifnd something they liked/would eat most nights although some are better than others depending on the nights theme. The breakfast buffet in the morning is fine with the usual selection of things to be found. it opens at 07.30 but if you want a fried egg don't bother until 08.30 as they are not that organised. The staff appear to be eastern European waitresses ( especially Hungary for some reason) over seen by Greek seniors. They will tout for drinks business. The same prices are vaild as above but now add on the wine list which would be a minimum of 16e for a bottle of plonk. So put three cokes on and this and so far tonights bill is 41e.
over 14 nights this multiplies out to around 500e just for a pre dinner drink and wine with the meal. As you can sign for everything ( and so can your 14 year old) this will mount up.
Tip 2. Go to Kardemena from the bus at the hotel gate ( 3.20e for a return trip) and stock up....the coke is no 0.6e and the wine ( same as the hote) is a miraculous 6e). Also the bottled water ( you will drink a lot of this) is 1/6th of the price of the Hotel.
You can eat at the Italian (Trattoria) with no cat privinidng you book through reception or eat at the Greek Taverna on site with a charge (1/2 board). We didn't eat of the Greek Taverna but did try the Italian.... Don't.
1) Food very Bland and not much choice
2) Too much of it and you have to order three courses together so do not realise the size of the portions)
3) Understaffed with chefs thus the wait is far too long....we gave up before the sweet course and left.

Other:- laundry room.Basic ok bit no good if more than three guests want to wash anything. 5e per wash with the driers extra. I beleive there is an iron availble at you room on demand but do not know if there is a charge for this.
Hotel shop....ok but pricey.
Pools...two one adult out of the way at the back of the hotel and the family one ate the front...large but a section is often roped off dor diving instruction. The hotel suffers from the towels on the loungers merchants and as the pool area is locked at night its amusing ( if not demoralising) to watch the dawn brigade towellinging up first thing.
Water sports.....seems adequate but as I'm not a sailor and didn't come for the sports I didn't use any of these or the mountain bike hire, aerobics, pilates classes which are available. A large number of tennis courts ( about 8 I counted) which is overkill as these tend to be empty for most of the time. Strangely no fitness centre which I would have used and appears a serious ommission.
My son and daughter had some wind surfing and sailing tuition for a basic qualification....3x 1 hr lessons are 150e
Take your own towels or its 7e for a week per towel or 12 e for two weeks hire.

Clubs two used..the Indie Club for 15 + 16+ 17 year olds
and my 14 year old had his own age group club. His seemd varied and kept him occupied for most of the day of the first week but didn;'t fancy repeating it in the second week.
The Indie club was a hit with my 17 year old daughter and in fact was the reason we booked as few, if any, rival firms cater for the adolescent teenager on the cusp of reaching the age when they no longer wish to go with the family anymore.
Note the Indie club has activities like sailing and windsurfing but internally they are there as a meeting place and psuedo dating agency. Expect you son or daughter to end up in bars and nighclubs in Kardemena until the early hours. Expect the Mark Warner reps to be there too especially on Friday nights as their day off is saturday.
The reps are friendly and helpful although it is to the level where its almost an overdone strength which would suggest its a heavy part of the training. Apparently, for safety reasons, if they are late or appear to be 'under the weather, they are breathalised and if over the UK driving limit are terminated and flown home on the next available flight. Internally its known as being Gatwicked and 4 were lost in the first week I was there which subdued the rest of the reps and allegedly caused the cancellation of the staff show that week.
Car hire Suzuki Jimmy 75e per day ( cheaper if hired for 2 or 3 days)
Hyndai Accemt 65e per day
Don't expect to get four adults in either of them. Roads are ok and the traffic is light (apart from kos town) Kos well worth a visit. kephlos isn;t.....Pili will be recommended as its a village in the mountains...its a tourist bazaar nothing more with tacky shops.
The beauty of the car is you can visit a large supermarket and stock up on the soft drinks and alcohol.

All in all it was wortrh it for the clubs which nelped to occupy my son and daughter. Taking that away i wouldn;t have gone...there is far beetr valuefor money to be had than Mark Warner, If you fancy tennis, hanging off a boat or a windsurfer then its probably for you as you will be tired after dinner and retire early......a good move as if you are waiting round the bar,increasing your end of holiday tab, for entyertainment you will be sorely dissapointed..there isn't any...if you are in the Italina restauarnt its no problem as by the time the coffee arrives you are probably asleep anyway.
Would I come again....only if my children requested it other wise no. Biggest gripe..the mark ups... I expect a modest mark up aroundt the world in Hotels but this is blatant profiteering and is uncalled for . Beaches manages to go all inclusive at premium...Mark Warner ( or Chitty as his real name is) should seriously consider this option.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank horusosiris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I won't reiterate the positive comments above, but we had an excellent holiday, first time with MW, did not disappoint. The negative comments are people being extremely picky.
I would say that DON'T go if - you or your children don't like 'having a go and joining in'. If you don't want your teenagers to socialise till the early hours, and it would spoil your holiday to worry about them. Also one has to accept that Kos is a limited route for airlines, and a small airport, with inevitable delays. You just don't get a wide choice of departure airports and airlines, if you want to travel on a scheduled flight with a non-budget airline, choose another destination.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Golf4313
Dublin
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Spent two weeks here early July with our two young kids aged 5 and 20 months. Best holiday we've had since the kids arrived. Good range of activities and plenty to occupy everyone in the family. Rooms are spacious, clean and functional though not luxurious. Kids clubs and toddler club worked well. We could have dinner on our own everynight in peace in the knowledge the kids were well looked after. Food was good except for the Italian restaurant which was disappointing. Don't understand reviews whinging about price of drink etc. 10 euro for a decent bottle of wine seemed reasonable to me. Kiddies meals are fine, although they try to get everyone in and out in 45 minutes which seemed unnecessary. The Viking flight is a disaster and if you have young kids then take Easyjet or Ryanair, or expect long delays.
Not cheap, but better value than Club Med. Will go back next year.

1 Thank Wintonlad
London
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Enjoyed successful 1 week holiday with Mark Warner on the back of delightful staff (both ‘local’ and Mark Warner), congenial, like-minded holidaymakers, excellent accommodation and great food (varied, fresh and healthy).

Travelled with son (20) who relished windsurfing, aggressive sailing and mountain biking. Daughter (18) engaged in all activities and delighted in taking younger children out sailing. Daughter (15) took part with the Indies (teenage group), as well as all the sports. Son (12) vanished from sight all day with the Kids Club as well as joining us for Academy Tennis and sailing (with probably as many capsizes as anyone else has achieved on more boats)!

Sailing good; invariably some wind, including quite strong conditions in the afternoon. Enough equipment although there were some annoying maintenance issues, especially with the ageing fleet of Darts.

Tennis centre well staffed. Academy programme good. Many opportunities for social tennis and connecting with similar standards for more competitive singles. Some improvements to the courts, nets especially, a little overdue.

Recent less positive comment on this site from someone who neither sailed nor played tennis was a little strange. Why go to a sailing and tennis centre if you don’t sail or play tennis?

The only niggle was the absence of a daily sheet of activities so that we could plan our (very busy) day between court, beach, fitness area, etc as well as a lack of co-ordination between beach and court to avoid overlap of events (e.g. social tennis and racing).

Travel no problem, perhaps because we chose Wednesday flights. Transfer time only 15 minutes, so risk of extended waiting at airport minimised.

2 Thank dhm56
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I travelled form Gatwick on 24th July with my wife and 2 sons aged 16 and 15, flight was delayed for 6 hours and we arrived at resort at around 4 am completely shattered.
The following day we got up late and soon relaxed thanks to the helpful MW staff. My teenage sons met lots of new people and thoroughly enjoyed the week. The resort was full of like minded people. I would reccomend a stroll up to the Hilton hotel for a pre dinner cocktail - Happy hour from 8 to 9 pm. Sit on the terrace and admire the fantastic views.

2 Thank RichardC68
paris
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This was not only our first holiday with Mark Warner, it was our first package holiday, as we have a 13 year old and a 9 year old, whom we felt needed to be entertained on holiday.
Having read some of the reviews we were a little nervous about the place, but we neednt have bothered. The travel arrangements were for the main trouble free, the distance from the airport to the hotel was only 15 minutes, and the arrangements by the Mark Warner team with our bags and room transfer were as good as I have experienced.
The room was a large suite, which perfectly suited our needs, and despite what I read from other reviewers I have nothing but good things to say about the meal arrangements, and we have travelled frequently both in europe and further afield. There was plenty of choice and the food was fresh every day, both our kids and ourselves were completely satisfied with the quality, quantity and variety. We went for the full board option, and watching my son eat for Scotland, I'm glad we did.
As to the activities on site, absolutely perfect, kids had a ball, and we hardly saw them in the two weeks we were there. My son learned to wind surf, my daughter improved her tennis, I learned to dive and my wife learned how to right a boat after it capsized, several times! The facilities were excellent, there was plenty of equipment and the staff could not have been more helpful, both the hotel and Mark Warner staff. It was a bonus that the hotel complex had its own private beachfront areas for kids and for adults, and we felt completely contented with both the beach and pool areas.
The prices for drinks were a little on the expensive side as has been mentioned by others, but no more than many hotels of a similar standard, and we were also able to get the bus into town, which was 10 minutes away, and stock up on soft drinks and wine to offset this cost. My only gripes were that the Italian themed restaurant was a little disappointing, but not enough for me to write the holiday down, and there was no gym, despite all the profusion of classes available. I like having a gym and with a hotel of this size not to have one is, I feel, a sizeable omission.
This aside both my wife and I felt well relaxed after our holiday, our kids were well looked after, made lots of friends, and we will definately come back again.

1 Thank celfrog
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Having been persuaded to do a Mark Warner holiday by my husband, I was extremely sceptical about the whole experience. However, with a 9 year old boy, an 8 month old baby and a hyperactive husband, it seemed to cover everything we needed. Overall it turned out to be a brilliant holiday. The best bits were:
1. the location/layout - having 2 beaches was great as it made the resort feel larger than it was and the main beach tended to be peaceful/no children. Others have mentioned the fact the resort is under the flight path - it is, but it really isn't a problem. The upside is a really short transfer to/from the airport. There were plently of sunbeds on the beach and at the pool, but it might be busy at high season.
2. The childcare was fantastic - the nannies in the baby room really seemed to care and coped brilliantly with my daughter. It's great that they have the same nanny all the time they are there - they even made a diary for my daughter which was a lovely touch. My 9 year old had an absolute ball in kids club - the activities were great and varied and well organised. The staff seemed very enthusiastic too. The evening creche facility was fantastic and there was no sign of crying babies when I was there. You either wheeled your baby into the room in their pushchair or could put them down into a cot. Babies had to be either asleep or calm when you left. I never thought mine would sleep in this environment/in the pushchair but she was so exhausted from her fun day that she slept soundly every night.
3. the activities - there was so much to do if you wanted to - again well organised. Plenty of boats/kayaks while we were there in June. My only gripe is that due to the large number of sailing lessons booked in there is no scope for moving lessons if the weather isn't ideal - my level 1 beginners first day lesson involved sailing (or rather capsizing) in pretty advanced conditions.
4. the rooms in the hotel were spotlesslessly clean, if not huge (we had a premium junior suite), although perfectly fine. I had been worried about being on the ground floor but it worked really well as we could get the pushchair to the room really easily without going in a lift all the time. We could also sit outside the room without disturbing a sleeping baby too! The rooms were modern and well equipped too. The reception of the hotel and main bar were lacking in character but the 2 beach bars were lovely.

If I would criticise anything it would be the baby food and facilities at mealtimes. The fruit purees were excellent and usually lots of greek yoghurt around. However the meat puree wasn't great (most Mums avoided it) and the veg puree really watery. All purees were freezing cold and there was no microwave to heat them up. There was also no suitable breakfast cereal for babies. My advice would be to take some food with you. The highchairs were also not great as the straps didn't always work.

All in all though, a wonderful, relaxing holiday. We only stayed for a week and I wasn't ready to come home!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MrsHappy02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Lakitira Suites
#17 of 39 in Kardamena
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel

Been to Lakitira Resort & Village? Share your experiences!