“Excellent holidays”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Helsinki, Finland
“Excellent holidays”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We went there indepedently ie not MW customers. What amazed me most was the friendliness and professionalism of the personnel who did their best to make us feel comfortable and relaxed. Excellent animation team, gym program (aqua gym and yoga) and kids' club. Viva salon is also available for all customers and is reasonable priced (for UK standards).
The room was in very good condition and was cleaned every day. Breakfast was rich and dinner was very good and varied. Kids' dinner (or tea) at 5.15pm was a very good alternative for kids, with options suited more to...smaller hands and demanding mouths!
The resort was very busy however, due to its size, we never felt it was overcrowded. What we also found easy was the car rental; we rented the car for a few days and drove around the island. It's a pity to miss the island's rich history!

Two things annoyed me a bit;

a) the wifi provided. Although the fact that it's only available at the reception area is a pretty good excuse to abstain from regularly checking work emails, the connection was very slow and sometimes pretty frustrating. The hotel should look into better alternatives.

b) a somewhat 'unwritten law' that sunbeds can be reserved by just placing your towel on them and leave (both at the pool area and lately at the beach). On many occasions we encountered an almost empty pool area (at lunchtime) and not a single sunbed available which can be annoying to say the least. Unless somebody pays for the sunbeds this tactic should not be encouraged and the hotel could better emphasise this.

Overall, it's been a very good family holiday. If I can, I will return next year and also suggest the resort to friends with kids.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lakitira-Hotels, General Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide superior service and hospitality are represented by all our team members.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the lakitira Rersort and Village in the near future.

The Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dorchester
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Travelled with Mark Warner, to Lakitira, family, kids aged 10 and 12, for 8 days.
Very good holiday, Mark Warner well organised as usual.
Travel good. Very short transfer. Departure delayed, - but not MW fault.
Village room (two floor appartment) very spacious, comfortable beds, bathroom OK, though one shower would not work (there were two bathrooms). However, safe NOT SECURE as not bolted to the wall (could have been nicked in 5 seconds with a crow bar). Occasional noise and fumes from the large diesel generator near-by which cut in when there was a power cut (happened 3 times for about an hour).
Watersports excellent - this is a resort for the more serious sailor/ windsurfer. We had wind every day, include force 5 - 6 for 3 days. Tennis good and mountain bikes good, though most local routes were on road.
Kids cluds good - our kids dipped in and out but enjoyed them. Good family pool with lots of space.
Restaurant/ food good, though somewhat "canteen" like.
Extras in the hotel all UK prices. Our relatively modest incidentals (wine with dinner, few drinks, lunches, ice creams) came to 500 euros. Bottled water very cheap. Ice creams 3-4 euros each; sun cream 13 e. Best value lunch from the bar by the pool - toasted cheese & ham sandwich with crisps 2.5 e. Take beach towels as these are 1e/ day each.
Overall a very good holiday, just beating the Sea Garden (Turkey) where we went last year, though the Sea Garden was significantly cheaper (as all inclusive).

Room Tip: Away from the medical centre (which is next to the diesel generator).
1 Thank Markplus3
Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay at the Lakitira Resort and Village. We value all our Guests' comments and we take them under serious consideration in order to improve the services we provide and achieve our 100% Guest Satisfaction goal.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just got back from our second trip to Lakitira with Mark Warner. Now they have changed to BA flights the times are great and both were on time. Hotel is excellent, clean with friendly staff and great food. We will be going back as long as Mark Warner stick with BA

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank warsash
Lakitira-Hotels, General Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to see Guests returning to our Resort. Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at Lakitira Resort. We really appreciate your positive attitude and great comments.

We will be looking forward to seeing you again!

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Last year my review got over 2000 hits but I did write a pretty damning one but not to do with the resort just the flights.
This year we had the choice of BA from Heathrow or Jet 2 from Manchester. We went on jet 2 and what a difference from last years debacle . The flight was on time ...in fact a wee bit early. Manchester was dead easy and we went just before the scottish school holidays so Manchester was quiet. Jet 2 were fine but you'd to pay for everything and the food choice wasn't great. I'm told the BA flight was better and the food was free. However compared to last year jet 2 was ideal.
We stayed in a mezzanine apartment in the village and it was perfect. 3 beds downstairs for our 3 boys and 2 beds upstairs for us. Sadly our apartment hadn't been refurbished but to be honest it was fine. It was cleaned every day and the staff were always about.
As for Mark Warner.....wish I could find something to complain about but I can't. The staff were brilliant, the childcare fantastic ( our boys are 9, 6 and 2) and to be honest they had such a blast they didn't want to see us at all. As we went before the school hols officially started the resort was pretty much split down the middle with between mark Warner guests and hotel guests . I think I'll hold off until the scottish schools break up next year as the boys maybe didn't have just enough wee pals too play with initially but that was a result of the time we went nothing to do with the resort.
The food as usual was excellent and the puddings outstanding you can tell by my waistline . If I'd a tip I'd suggest don't go for the 7.30 rush. We did that the first few nights and then realised the restaurant was quiet by about 8.30. So we had a drink at the beach bar then had dinner at 8.30 and it was lovely and quiet and not mad scrum for food.
The biking was grand and the exercise class pretty tough. I got my RYA 1 windsurfing and my wife did her part 1 sailing . My 9 year old carried on from,last year and got his part 2.
The childcare staff were a laugh and I've got to give a special mention to Ben Wheeler the watersports coach who was brilliant and a damn good instructor. He had me on the plane on my board and jibing and tacking like I knew what I was doing. He even took some extra time out of his day to finish of my course as we had huge waves one day and couldn't quite finish it. I was so caught up ive decided to take up widsurfing.So Jono give the man a medal.
Will I go back. Yes definitely ...anything I'd change...nope. Although I did see a refurbished bedroom so I'm going to have that room for next year.
If I'd a request for mark Warner it would be don't you have enough of us Scots going out you could do the odd flight from glasgow or Edinburgh . What a difference that would make. My kids enjoyed seeing their pals from last year so I guess we could all get the same flight.
Next year I must do more ...
Cheers Jono and Ben you made that into a great holiday.
Oh yes have to agree with the previous reviewer the wifi is a joke ....but it gave me an excuse not to work.

Room Tip: Go for a refurbished room and stay away from the entertainment end of the hotel. The village is quie...
1 Thank Douglas M
Lakitira-Hotels, General Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to see Guests returning to our Resort. Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at Lakitira Resort and Village. We really appreciate your positive attitude and great comments.

We will be looking forward to seeing you again!

Cheshire
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We’ve just returned from a week at Lakitira and would highly recommend it. We booked with Mark Warner, flying from Manchester with Jet2 which was very efficient with a 15 minute coach transfer from the airport. We stayed in the main resort village in a double room with an added bed for our four year old daughter. We had a spacious balcony overlooking the tennis courts at the front of the hotel. Overall this was a very peaceful location. The room itself was clean and fairly spacious with plenty of storage space, comfy beds, modern bathroom with bath and overhead shower, TV, hairdryer, air con etc. Daily cleaning was excellent and the maids were always friendly and helpful. The hotel grounds are very pretty and well tended, although internally I would say the facilities are of a three star standard, with some modernisation required in places. Restaurant and bar staff are great, especially those at the Barefoot Bar near the pool.

The pool area is excellent with a large pool and a smaller shallow pool for children. There is also a separate adult only pool at the front of the hotel which is much quieter. Sunbeds and parasols are plentiful.

There are four eateries within the hotel:
1) The main hotel restaurant which is buffet style. Plenty of choice for both breakfast and dinner including lots of fresh fruit. Our favourites were the chocolate pancakes at breakfast and the amazing desserts at dinner!
2) The Trattoria which is primarily Italian and serves pizza, pasta, meat, fish and salads – all buffet style. Lots of choice and all really tasty. Again, great desserts! The Trattoria has to be booked in advance but we never had a problem getting a table.
3) The Breeze Bar which is a lunchtime self-service café with all items priced individually. The salads were awesome (€4 for a large plate) and they also served hot options such as filled pitas, sandwiches and pizzas, yogurts and cold drinks.
4) The Greek Taverna which we didn’t try as it is a la carte with 30% off menu prices. It looked lovely but we didn’t feel the need to pay when we were staying half board.

Drinks prices are not too bad: large beer €3.50, glass of wine €3.00, small bottle of water €0.60, vodka and tonic €5.00, cocktail €6.00, milkshake €4.00. Ice-creams are hugely expensive and range from €2.50 - €3.50!

The one thing that made the holiday outstanding for us was the Mark Warner aspect. The welcome meeting was informative with no pushy sales spiel. Our daughter went to Kids Club every afternoon and said it was her favourite part of the holiday – activities included art and craft, obstacle courses, bikes and scooters, windsurfing, sailing, pool games, storytime etc. Her keyworker, Amanda, was brilliant, and she also became very attached to Sophie who was lovely. The evening DVD drop-in (7.30pm – 11pm) was well organised and all children at the resort seemed to view it as an exclusive evening club, all turning up in their PJs with their teddies! The room is filled with individual beds and sleeping bags for those who want to sleep. Kids Club security is second to none, with sign-in/sign-out procedures, passwords, wristbands etc.

Aside from the childcare, the activities provided by MW are extensive and include sailing, kayaking, tennis, aerobics, mountain biking, pilates etc. My husband did several of the mountain bike rides and, as a hardcore mountain biker said they were both challenging and fun. I can also recommend the onsite Viva Health & Beauty Salon where I had a full body massage for €59 which was amazing. The MW staff all seem very young but are professional, polite and helpful and seem to enjoy their jobs. For us they made the holiday excellent in all aspects.

Other points to note: wifi is free but is only provided in a few public areas – it didn’t work brilliantly but was okay; the beach is lovely but the sand gets REALLY hot!; buses into Kardamena go from outside the hotel but are very infrequent so a quick trip into town is not possible; front desk staff were not always very helpful; there are no left luggage facilities available on check-out day – guests are expected to leave their bags unattended outside the front of the hotel which I felt was not particularly secure. Overall, an excellent holiday made particularly brilliant by Mark Warner.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel seemed to be fairly quiet.
2 Thank Flossdaisy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Lakitira Resort. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

We wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Surrey, UK
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We spent 2 weeks here from 08-22Jun13.

We stayed in a junior suite, not really what I'd call a suite, v small but functional. Beware that the 2nd room has NO AC and it can get hot, also the blinds are insufficient at blacking out all sunshine, so your kids are likely to wake early!

The good bits:
1. The hotel and MW staff are brilliant.
2. The food is great (especially pizza)
3. MW childcare and DVD/sleep club brilliant
4. Tennis courts and mountain biking brilliant
5. Pools great (lots of sun beds and only witnessed one ruckus over a bed)
6. Laundry facility with 4 or 5 machines, 5E per wash

The bad bits:
1. Smoking is allowed by the pool, pool bar and other bars. Even around children there are people smoking, the hotel should have a smoking zone and ban smoking everywhere else. We had to relocate on a number of occasions because of this.
2.The Wifi is terrible and only available in public areas. It can take up to 20 mins to get connected and you have to get a code every day! Even when you are connected the connection is slow and it could drop out after a couple of minutes never to connect again. This is in dire need of upgrading and should not be relied on.
3. Lunch is too late at 12:30 in Trattoria, should ideally be 12:00. You don't get much time to give your child lunch and a nap before the afternoon kids club starting at 1430, I'd recommend AM MW childcare if your child is still afternoon napping.
4. High tea finishes too quickly and is only on from 17:15-18:00, when kids club finishes at 17:30! It's a huge scrum and causes anxiety, with often families waiting to be seated. Not a great or relaxing experience.
5. Serious lack of high chairs and booster seats at all meal sittings, appears to be no joined up thinking from booking numbers to kids seating. Again causes major anxieties.
6. MW charge 6E per towel per week to hire beach towels, should be FOC bit of a cheek.
7. The provided bed guards have poor strength and keep slipping out, our son fell out of bed twice, we had to push another bed against his to resolve the problem.
8. The resort is right on the flight path (a positive for the transfer time) but beware of aircraft coming over about every 15 mins.
9. The MW mini DVD and sleep club area for 3 to 6 year olds has a loud disco in the roof terrace area adjacent to it (and accessed by non-sound proofed glazed doors) 2-3 times a week, which can keep kids awake, not v good planning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the blue shutters, these are away from noise but a little bit of a walk. They m...
1 Thank SurreyCarlos
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Finally! MW have sorted out the horrendous flights issue, BA from Heathrow, brilliant!
This was our 11th MW visit and 6th time @ Lakitira. We stayed for 2 weeks from 25th May with the hope that our son, Charlie, would be enthusiastic about the kids club schedules, having only managed to get him to go into kids club for half days previously. Thanks to his key worker Jess and the other brilliant girls, he loved it and after intially not wanting to join in the show prep, became an enthusiastic convert, what did the girls say to him?
Anyway, we love the whole resort, we find it picturesque, the hotel staff are excellent as well, especially reception, main restaurant and Maria at the Barefoot bar.
We prefer to stay in the village and the room we had, had had a bit of a revamp.
A couple of issues, on the 1st night, Saturday the 25th, the main restaurant was understaffed, the core staff were brilliant and worked their socks off, but there weren't enough of them and plates were piled high with unfinished food. This should have been forseen and first time visitors we spoke to weren't impressed! Especially as it was half term week and we were paying a premium!
The 2nd gripe is the kids evening kids club was not running on the 2nd Saturday, we turned up and no-one was there. Its transfer day and the MW staff have the day off (well most of them) but we have never known not being able to drop the kids off - bit of a shock, which also meant parents had to take their children to the restaurant, which had the knock-on effect of long queues of people wating to be seated.
Final gripe - entry to the sea seems to be getting worse! The main beach has always had rocks as you wade in but the kids beach was never anywhere as bad, but it's getting there, are the rocks being imported, or the sand exported?
None of this will stop us going back later in the year, finances permitting, if not, see you same time next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DaveRich7
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and, above all, thank you for your loyalty. It is so heart warming and rewarding to welcome guests again and again, over the years.

We are very pleased to read that your recent stay with us was a pleasant experience and we look forward to your next visit!

The Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Lakitira Suites
#16 of 39 in Kardamena
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel

Been to Lakitira Resort & Village? Share your experiences!