“Highly recommended”

Lakitira Resort & Village
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have recently returned from a 2 week stay at Lakitira, our first visit to the hotel and also experience of Mark Warner. I am not normally one to write reviews however having had such a fantastic holiday I actually feel compelled to on this occasion!

We booked our holiday through Travel Designers, who are an Independent Travel agent, local to us is SW London who had been highly recommended. What a difference it makes to book a holiday with a company who actually appear to be interested in your requirements, listen to your needs and are knowledgeable and able to give helpful information and advice and a range of recommendations to suit our needs travelling as a family with a toddler for the first time. We were offered a few different options which ticked our boxes, activities, childcare and children's facilities and within a 4 hour flight but we are very glad we chose Lakatira on their excellent advice. One of the team had travelled there herself so was able to give us personal tips which really helped. The price was also highly competitive and having returned we definitely felt we got excellent value for money!

Flights with WOW air, which I have to admit we were initially wary of were actually fantastic with ideal times from Gatwick, on time and very friendly, helpful cabin crew with quite a sense of humour which is a refreshing change. Just a 15 minute transfer once we reached Kos makes it ideal especially when travelling with young children and we were settled into our room at the hotel in little over an hour after our flight landed

The accommodation is very clean, spacious and functional, nothing special but then it does not claim to be. We booked a junior suite as recommended to us and had more room than expected, perfect for 2 adults and a toddler and much larger to similar room types I have stayed in at other hotels. Rooms were cleaned daily and all the hotel in general was kept in immaculate order, including the beautiful gardens

This really is a gorgeous spot, with 2 beaches adults and children around either side of the bay, absolutely ideal for the watersports offered, especially for relative novices such as ourselves. The Mark Warner team were great and we thoroughly enjoyed learning to sail and windsurf in relatively calm, warm waters.

This resort really came into its own for us on the childcare which was superb and our 18 month old was upset leaving each afternoon. The kids clubs are large and spacious with a huge range of toys and activities and the structured programmes keep even the most active and adventurous toddlers, of which our daughter is one interested. The childcare team were brilliant, I really cannot speak highly enough about them. The pyjama club in the evenings is also a great addition allowing you to drop them off for a few hours and enjoy dinner alone if you chose.

If I was to say anything negative it would only be that over a 2 week period the food was sometimes a little bit uninspiring and sometimes a little bland, although I guess this is due to the number of children in the resort.It would also have been good to have a room service option as there were a few evenings when we would have been more than happy to just chill out in the room.

Overall this was a fantastic holiday and if not to Lakitira we will certainly be returning to Mark Warner next summer, with a group of friends and booking all our future travel with Travel Designers

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lucy L
Lakitira-Hotels, General Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Lakitira resort and Village. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

We wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back!

With kind regards,

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We booked the last week of the season, the oct half term and can honestly say it s the best hol my 8 yr old daughter and I have experienced together! The mark Warner staff were fab and there was no sign of their standards dropping on the last week!
They even arranged a get together for parents travelling on their own so no sooner has we arrived we made lots of great friends throughout our stay..
Loved the tennis academy, the coaches were great, and a really good, fun time with the other tennis players.. Including the organised social tennis and fun mixed doubles tournament at the end!
My daughter loved having a taste of the sailing and achieving her RYA 1 as well as all the other wonderful activities ..
The hotel staff kept the resort spotless, even when a storm ripped through the resort during the night, by 7 am all the debris blown in by the winds had been swept away and the pool cleaned, as if it has never happened!
A very happy mother and daughter, thankyou !

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Kensingt

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at Lakitira Resort and Village. We are very pleased to read that your stay with us was a very pleasant experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had 1 week at this fab Mark Warner resort at October half term. Childcare was fantastic. I have a ten year old all action boy who loved the Kidz club where he could try out sailing ,windsurfing,tennis,kayaking,football,rounders etc.He also did a junior paddy scuba diving course. My husand did a sailing course which he thoroughly enjoyed. My 15 year old daughter went to the Indie club and loved it, having breakfast and dinner with all her new friends was great for her and us!

For breakfast was a huge choice of hot and cold dishes there was also the lady who made fresh omlettes for me every morning.Each evening there were varied dishes on offer in the buffet restaurant, being a non meat eater there was plenty of choice for me as well as the meat eaters in my family.

The evening entertainment was what you would expect at a family resort. Quizzes,Kareoke and Discos.

All the staff were helpful and polite.
A lovely holiday for all the family.

Room Tip: we stayed in the village which is a bit dated but apparently they are refurbishing for next season
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Edwardo07
Lakitira-Hotels, General Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide superior service and hospitality are represented by all our team members.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Lakitira Resort and Village in the near future.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed FB with Mark Warner for two weeks in July. Food is not bad and the option to dine in various on campus restaurants breaks the monotony. The MW beach staff and the hotel entertainment staff were fantastic they couldn't,t do enough for you and they were genuinely enthusiastic about what they did, I think the previous review is harsh saying they were amateurish, this was part of the comedy factor and if they took themselves seriously it wouldn't be half as good.
The rooms were clean and basic if you are staying in one of the villas. Bit disappointed we were told we had a tv but we didn't' (would have booked the hotel otherwise).
Sailing equipment was good and the instruction was excellent whatever your level. Child care from MW was excellent, both flexible and acommodating. The staff are a credit to the organisation-which is what you expect because MW are bloody expensive.

The cleaning staff were friendly (our cleaner arranged the soft toys on the kids beds each day in a different order which intrigued the kids-small thing big impact:-). The restaurant staff in all the restaurants were helpful and friendly.

Negatives- the hotel don't have enough lifeguards around the pool (one person for two pools with lots of kids around) this problem was highlighted when one guest pulled a 2 year old child unconscious from the bottom of the 3m section of the pool luckily a A&E consultant happened to be there on holiday to give CPR for 10 mins (child survived but was very lucky).
The quality of the Internet access is appalling and expensive. I needed this for business and this was a major problem, in so much that we won't come back here because I can't work in the evenings. The reception staff laughed at one lady who was trying to send and email for 30 mins. This is also an issue, the hotel are let down by the reception staff who are singularly rude and unhelpful-they forget they are in a service industry and they are letting their colleagues down who try so hard in this resort.

Room Tip: The villas are more rustic and secluded, but don't have a tv which might be a problem if you hav...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank A S
Lakitira-Hotels, Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay at Lakitira Resort and Village. We value all our Guests' comments and we take them under serious consideration in order to improve the services we provide and achieve our 100% Guest Satisfaction goal.

With kind regards,

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just returned from a week at lakitira, first time abroad with my 2 year old and will be back next year with.

Flights were fine, which was a relief after reading reviews.

Rooms clean with garden and sea view. Not a fan of the wet rooms though. Right opposite laundry room which was convenient.

Kids clubs were great with my little one, would recommend the drop in movie night which allowed a peaceful evening meal, kids beach very clean and close to pool, new playground which went down a treat.

Breakfast and dinner were good, would have liked to see a bbq in the main restaurant like the old days. don't go full board, u can get a good lunch at the beach bar for 5-6eur. Wine was ok, we were tempted to go into town and buy some but in the end just drank what was on offer.

Tennis coaches were a little thin on the ground. Not the atmosphere that such a large centre should have. Some of the classes looked a bit overpacked with a lot of people standing in queues. Not ideal. Had a few hits so was happy to get out on court.

Seems to be very little interaction between staff and guest out of the staffs working hours now. Used to be a regular event where staff would join guests for drinks and dinner. think this is due to guests having to pay now to take staff which is pretty tight from mark Warner.

Overall a great break with perfect weather. See you next year

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Alexlouis
Lakitira-Hotels, General Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Naturally, as a solo travereller with a burning desire to learn to play tennis, MW was my first choice as I had read countless rave reviews regarding their tennis facilities and coaching. Their website was swish, enticing, clearly laid out with excellent images, very sleak and easy to use. I however was flabbergasted at their eye watering 'single room TAX.' One week in Lakitira, half board, was a staggering £1255!!!! Ridiculously this was £5 MORE expensive than if I were travelling with a friend. Still, I had heard great things about their tennis, so I signed up, and three weeks later I landed in resort.

First impressions?
What on earth was my money being spent on. My room for the week was 'functional' and thankfully clean, though a far cry from the suggested 4*.

The inclusive dinning facilities resembled a brightly lit motorway services, with the emphasis on quantity rather than quality this, however, didnt seem to deter the ardent and surprisingly obese guests (clearly not signed up for the full MW experience) hell bent on getting their monies worth.

Annoying little extras like 2.5 Euro for 30 mins wifi, only available in striking distance of the reception, 7 Euro to hire a beach towel or 14 Euros to buyand a 15 Euro supplement to dine in a quieter surroundings.

Evening entertainment was provided on several nights by the MW 'Animation' team (why are all MW staff soooooo young?) which was slightly reminiscent of a show for a collection of elderly relatives who enthused wildly in an attempt to mask bewilderment  and grave disappointment.

The waterfront team (all young again) work hard to keep everybody safe and at times things can get dangerously chaotic. I tried my hand at the two free windsurfing sessions, this delivered the bare minimal and resulted in me being rescued 'Baywatch stylie' as I made my way to Turkey...... If i had wanted to learn to turn, then more money would have been required.

The tennis team (again all youngsters) had a bad week, one man down due to a mophead incident, left Shaun over stretched and new recruit Michael a little bamboozled. My experience? Disappointing. I won't bore you with the details, however, it appears that I wasnt the only beginner in resort after all, the others had enjoyed a lovely week bonding over basic tennis steps, where I spent a week in over pitched lessons that left me never wanting to swing a racket again. Luckily, but after some serious negotiations, my disappointments were acknowledged and a reduction in fee was granted.

An overwhelming feeling of discontent left me wondering, what exactly did my extortionate MW holiday fee pay for?

The buck(s) literally didn't lie with the staff, after a few drinks a number of team members where more than willing to disclose the other side to Mark Warner. On average each youngster works a 55 hour week over a six day period, for which they recieve a princely sum of 90 Euro. Ok all board and lodgings are included, however, a retainer of 30 Euros a week is also held and not released until the season has come to and end, that's on a par with the third world! Shocked? Try this one....... A private tennis lesson costs 35 Euro for 45 mins....... Have a guess how much of that fee is paid to the coach? I believe is was 2.5 Euro!!!!!!!! Now knowing this, does anyone else in here now question the MW ethics? Do you still think your holiday was good value for money?

All in all my MW experience was very disappointing, a far from what I expected or what was portrayed by their website.

I did however make a few good friends which helped ease my financial pain and ethical quandary ..... and one last thing........ need a top tip as a solo traveller? If you insist on going Mark Warner then to sweeten the feeling of unjust, invent and book a fictitious companion for the week, not only will it will save you £5 but this can then be used to tip a deserving team member!
Shame on you Mark Warner.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank SbC_12
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've just returned from another visit to this fantastic location. If you enjoy watersports, particularly windsurfing, visiting Lakitira with Mark Warner is a winning combination, with one of the windiest sites in the Agean, great service, friendly staff and a good hotel.

The good points of the hotel are:
# wonderful variety of food in the Terrace restaurant, and the opportunity to dine outside under the stars
# first rate food hygiene (I have eaten everything here, with none of the stomach upsets that I have had at other destinations).
# acres of beautiful grounds
# quiet location, but with a regular bus-service to the nearby town of Kardemena.
# simple style and relaxing decor
# spacious rooms, mostly with large balconies, and all with a fridge and tea-making facilities
# excellent room cleaning service.

What was not so good? If you get a room in the village, although it has more character, the standard rooms are a bit restricted on storage space, and the decor rather dated. Also some of the balconies are small, and in some cases there are minor maintenance issues, such as dim lights, or slightly erratic toilet flushing.

We travelled with Mark Warner. In recent years they have made some adjustments to keep prices affordable. However, the important aspects of the holiday seemed as good as ever. I did not have any issues with half-board (not sure how I could have eaten much lunch after giant breakfasts anyway) or having to pay for wine (it's easy to go to Kardemena and buy supplies if you need to, and for water, the Lakitira shop sells 9 litre packs of water for under 2 euros).

Our visit the flights were at excellent times, during the day, and precisely on schedule. Watersports on a warm blue sunlit sea are fun and the Mark Warner watersports team were friendly and helpful and safety cover excellent. In terms of windsurf kit, they operate a policy of gradual replacement, so if several reasonable windsurfers were going out, only older kit, past its "sell-by" date was available. This could have loose footstraps, slippery surfaces and damaged padding, making it difficult to use and more likely to cause injury. Also, small battened sails proved to be in short supply. The sailing kit seemed in better order and more plentiful and sailing tuition and clinics were pitched to a higher level than for windsurfing.

From my calculations, for an activity holiday, the combination of Lakitira and Mark Warner was probably better value and far more relaxing than trying to put a similar holiday together yourself (so long as you avoid the expensive peak periods). If you were to arrange your own holiday at Lakitira and then pay separately for activities that could very soon prove more costly.

Room Tip: Ask for a roomhigher in the building if you would like a view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Swambi
Lakitira-Hotels, General Manager at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

The Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Lakitira Suites
#1 of 1 in Agios Fokas
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Mitsis Norida Beach Hotel

Been to Lakitira Resort & Village? Share your experiences!