“Just what we needed!”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Camberley
“Just what we needed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was our first holiday with MW after a few years. In recent years we've been with sunsail & clubmed. This was perfect for us - a half term break with lots to do for our 12 year old boy and an opportunity for us to relax. The Mark Warner guys are brilliant so professional, so enthusiastic even in the last week of the season. We didn't see our son all week,I read 3 books, went sailing - just perfect! Weather was great we were lucky maybe! Bedroom in hotel was lovely - modern, well equipped, v clean. Food good - we liked lunchtime buffet. Wine good for 10 euro a bottle. G&T seemed watered down and expensive for 4.5 euro. Slightly frustrating that they didn't have enough boats at times but it was a busy week. Hope to go back next year.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank leopold25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

We have recently returned from MW Lakitira in Kos. We have been there of 4 other occasions in the last 10 years but this was our best ever stay. We went with a big family group and we all came away feeling it was an excellent holiday with lots of happy memories.
We were highly impressed with the MW Tennis coaching, which is well organised and professional. We play a lot at home and have had scores of tennis lessons but nothing to compare with the young coaches at MW. They were great, and I'd like to mention Josh, Charlie, Sean, Doug and Jack, a real credit to British Tennis.
Another highlight was the diving. After doing the free try dive taster in the pool I did open water course with Jane. Despite the fact that I am not a partularly strong swimmer I had a wonderful experience which I will do again on future holidays.
We also did sailing and fitness classes and would like to Thank Bianca and Gregg for making them such fun.
The hotel is spacious, very clean and all staff friendly. We also love the food which is fresh and healthy, although for a change went out of the resort on a couple of ocassions.
And finally the location is bliss, we loved it and will go again!

2 Thank HertfordshireMacs
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

This is our second Mark Warner holiday, last year we went to Portugal. Both resorts were completely different but I would highly recommend Mark Warner holidays. Basically, the biggest advantage is the child care. Imagine having dinner every night with your husband with no kids... need I say more. For us, holidays are about getting time to relax and enjoy the sun. Kos was perfect for us for a number of reasons. My husband works very long hours and although he wants to spend time with the kids we want to spend time on our own too and he likes to get fit as he never gets the time during the week. So he spent all morning playing tennis and windsurfing whilst I got the time to sit by the pool. The kids loved it. My 3 year old got to go kayaking and sailing and the staff were excellent with her. She suffers from excema and they washed her skin off after every beach and pool visit. She loved the creche and met lots of other kids. We even met the parents. Normally we do not like speaking to other families on holidays and keep to ourselves, but we met so many amazing like minded people. Generally everyone around us was in the same boat, middle class, one or 2 small kids, looking for sun and time to relax. Every afternoon a bunch of parents met by the kiddies pool and all our kids played together. There were no nasty children or unfriendly parents. The kids fought over pool toys etc , as they do and there were no embarrassing situations as everyone respected each others children. Plus there is a bar right next to the kids pool so you can drink and relax whilst the kids swim in a shallow pool. The buffet food is definitely not the best. However we ate many times in the Italian restaurant and the food there was excellent. Fresh thin crust pizza, fish, pasta etc. Plus you get waiter service, so the food arrives hot. Twice we paid supplements for the greek restaurant and lobster night. Both were excellent. The alcohol prices are really not too bad. 6 euros for a cocktail and you can get away paying 16 euros for a bottle of wine. We have experience worse prices abroad. The ice-creams are outrageous though. Also, we did not bother going full board as we enjoyed going to the cafe section and getting fresh salads. The down side for us was that we never received any information when we arrived. No booklets or maps telling us about the hotel or how anything works. So when you go to the cafe, you pay for bowl or plate size and everyone wonders around on the first day not knowing what to take and how much. But it is amazing sitting by the beach eating lunch. Tor airlines is horrendous. Make sure you take your own food. Luckily many reviewers have said about delays etc and I did have food for the kids. On the way back, we were in row 10 and the over priced sandwiches had already run out and there was nothing left for the kids to eat. Plus the airport was even more expensive. 3.50 euros for an orange juice for the kids.

All in all I would recommend this resort. It is quite big but everything is close by. We stayed in interconnecting rooms in the hotel, which were very clean. We had coffee facilities and a fridge which was great. My husband loved the tennis but I found everyone a bit too serious, so only played a few times before retreating to the pool. There are loads of planes flying over, but if you have a good book you hardly notice. I found the adult pool to be particularly noisy, so stayed to the beach. We had no staff issues and actually found them to be excellent. Except if your child cries in the evening creche you cannot leave them until they are settled. So many parents had to take their kids out, but generally after a few nights everyones kids were in the creche. The other families were brilliant and we met some fun people. They also have a kitchen available with free milk. I never saw this mentioned in the brochure and only discovered it after a few days. So at night, you can warm up your kids milk and it is on the way to the different creches. I did actually take milk with me, just incase. The cereal selection is not very healthy and my kids lived on the fresh fruit and yogurt. Keeping in mind we went the first week of September, which is out of season , I am not sure if I would go when the hotel is full. I am not interested in queuing on holiday and we never had any issues whilst in Kos.

We are already planning our next Mark Warner holiday!!

4 Thank Danidurbs
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed in Lakitira Resort for one week in September 2011. It was a great holiday! The hotel is clean, the territory is big and green, there are several bars, three restaurants, two pools and two beaches (the one is shallow, the other is more deep). The room was cleaned properly. The food was rather invaried but tasty. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the airport and about 5 to get to Kardamena by bus. I think the only disadvantage of this hotel is an expensive and very-very-very slow Internet (we couldn't even use skype or check e-mail).
P.S. Lobster Party on Friday in Taverna was fascinating! It is surely worth visiting (12 euro per person without drinks).

Room Tip: Rooms on the 0 floor are practically underground.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nakoikaci
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

We have literrally returned from our holiday today and feel so incensed by the last 24 hours that we want to ensure that others do not suffer in the same way... This was our second visit to Lakitira. We visited at the same time last year.
First the positives - The resort location and hotel are very good with a very good food buffet in the main restaurant.The hotel staff were superb. ( not MW staff)
The beach staff were friendly and very helpful. (MW staff)
Child care was superb, as good as last year! ( MW staff)

I have to say that we took a sneaky trip with Neilson in May of this year to Lemnos on the recommendation of friends and thus M.W. has lost its way.

They appear to want to charge their clients for absolutely everything they possibly can!
They also cannot decide who their 'market' is and very unsuccessfully mixed 'single' Club M.W. clients alongside families in both the hotel and on the plane. M.W. reserved part of the restaurant for the Club M.W. from the opening time of the restaurant which left some 'families' waiting for tables. The 'Club' clients often did not come in to the restaurant until much later and thus these tables could have been available.
They also need to consider their clients who holiday with them with children. All the clinics and courses start at the same time as the child care opens. I was always late running from settling my son to get to the clinic. I always missed the first 10 mins of the course/clinic. I did suggest that they should stagger the start of either to allow people to get from place to another but was infomred that no one else had given such feed back. On speaking to other guests they stated thay had the same issue and had highlighted it. The MW Club clients were disgruntled by my lateness. I did speak to the Beach Manager who offerd to change this but nothing was done.

However my biggest issue was with the flight home. Having had a good holiday, feeling relaxed and ready to go home, I was then informed that our flight was delayed due to the need of crew needing 'rest'. There wasn't a MW member of staff in sight just notice boards with information stating thet the delay was approx 5 hours but we would be updated again. Talking to hotel staff this had been a regular occurrence throughout the season. We were catered for with lunch and did eventually leave for the airport. Once on board our flight we were told we had missed our flight slot and had to wait a further 30 mins on board a very hot and busy plane. You cannot imagine what traveling with a 3 yr old can be like at this time. However we were lucky there were a number of babies on board and the 'Purser' was totally intolerant and rude! Like wise the MW Club client sat in fron of me who had possiibly had a late night the night before. He was rude to both me and my son who I might add was particuarly patient and well behaved. MW I would suggest you consider separating families and adult onlys between the front and back of the plane.

Would we travel with MW again? I am not sure. Definitely not if they continue with this airline. We had picked this resort for the convenience of transfer times and flight times since we also had a 5 hour car journey form Gatwick. Yesterday we did 19 hours traveling! I need another holiday to recover!

I would also agree with hellyob's comments. It was interesting the majority of Neilson clients in Lemnos in May were ex 'disgruntled' MW clients. It was the little things that made that holiday and highlighted MW's failings.

Room Tip: Ask for the hotel. However they will not reserve a requested room. Allocation is on arrival.
11 Thank Wendy H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our kids are 8 and 6 and they loved the kids club. Great introduction to sailing and windsurfing. Also loved the pool games and all the other activities on offer. DP got hooked on the sailing& windsurfing and was quite good by the time we went home. All of this meant I could sit by the pool all day and read books (yeap no word of a lie - first holiday ever since DC's)

It did seem that kids of all ages seemed to be having fun especially the teens.

In the evening the kids went to the cinema club and we sat in the bar overlooking the beach drinking far far too much but again a first for us.

Thought the Hotel was great and the buffet really good value.

Top tip do think about booking full board just makes life so much easier.

The Mark Warner staff were amazing very very helpful.

Didn't try the tennis or bikes as far to energetic but they looked good if so inclined.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend was the airline awful awful awful TOR AIR
huge delay on the way back. To be fair MW were great in trying to make the best of a bad situation and in fact we got an extra days holiday

Am definitely going back and would really recommend to anyone with children.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank J C
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

We have 3 children (8,6,5) and went to Lesvos with Neilson last year which we loved.The formula of tennis/sailing/kids clubs in Neilson worked really well for us all and we decided to try Mark Warner this year. The accommodation was fine but we weren't in the room that much so it didn't bother us . ... The main gripes were small details that wouldn't have cost the company much but left us with a feeling of being short changed...1. No water was provided on the tennis court (Neilson have water coolers on the courts) .. 2.Kids at Neilson were given a handy little colour coded backpack on arrival with the name of their section on it with a rash vest and sun hat ...Not so at Mark Warner 3.We were on a full board basis yet there was a charge for a coffee after lunch 4.additional charge of 10e for ropey bike for bike trek 5. The shop on site was a complete rip off and there was a feeling of being held to ransom .. We had to buy a rash suit for our youngest at a cost of 50euro and a life vest for 40euro..all the other guests we spoke to felt the same and it was nearly a game in the end who could find the most ridiculously overpriced item ....6.the main restaurant was very busy and if you wanted to avoid the queues and eat at the quieter( but very average )taverna there was a 10e charge per person.... 7.We were delayed by 12 hours on the way home which we now realise is a common occurence with Tor air ....On a positive note , the kids club was excellent and we met some really nice people but our lasting impression of Mark Warner is one of a company who are milking their customers, who are already paying a premium, at every opportunity...... Please take note Neilson and keep the small touches that make a big difference.

• Stayed August 2011