“Yin & Yang”

Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Cambs
“Yin & Yang”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I visited here mid June '14 with my wife and 2 year old for two weeks of sunshine.

Its probably the most difficult review I've ever had to write for a holiday. Trying to sum up this resort without being unfair but also without being unrealistically generous.

Whilst I don't like to do it each aspect needs to be considered separately;

Grounds and appearance 5*
Immaculately clean very well kept. Frankly faultless.

Rooms 3*
From the rooms we saw 3 single beds (2 pushed together). Exactly the same as you get through the Greek islands and the Med for this price range. We did change rooms to get a bath for our little one as the shower made the bathroom floor too slippery for her.

Pools 4*
3 different pools so plenty of choice as follows;
1. Main pool by kitchens very lively reps all over the place with games and Europop musak. They try to get you involved with games and "Aquagym".
2. Relax pool. Silent, calm, peaceful but very very little shade.
3. Experience pool (part of a different hotel which was brought into Akti) Nicest pool of the lot (typically on the otherside of the resort from us) lots of shade.

Food 4*
Yes repetitive after 2 weeks but what isn't? Fantastically appealing areas and fine once you've managed to navigate around 40 people all walking in different directions at the same time. People have already described the details of whats available rest assured you'll never be hungry.
Shame theres no a la carte option.

Bars 2*
A let down it has to be said. Weak WEAK beer in tiny cups, poor wine, tame spirits and 4 cocktails to choose from. Staff carry out the procedure of serving without ever really seeming to interact.

Entertainment 1*
Its sad really. The Reps try very hard and put in so much effort but the theatre entertainment was appalling. One effort at Mamma Mia was to mime to the soundtrack of the movie. The world cup was on during our visit but they did a few quizzes at the main bar which were good.

The Sea /beach 2*
Sea is beautiful, good luck getting into it stone & shingle beach makes it fairly difficult on the feet.

Surrounding Areas
40 minute walk to Kardamena a very sad and tired looking town (during the day anyway but nice to get out and about a few times). A few nice hotels / tavernas along the beach road which are well worth a visit.

Finally, there is a pretty awful smell which lingers at night around a damp patch of ground next to the main bar. Potentially its drains. I mentioned it to reception who told me it was just water, its not. the bar staff talk openly about it and according to some reps its out of the hotels hands. Its not a reason not to go but don't walk through it.

Summary.
The good outweighs the bad for me. I'd recommend it as its such an easy two weeks and I'm sure most people considering it would not regret their decision to choose here.
Would we go back?

Nah its a big world.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank rwools

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Overall I wasn't satisfied with the hotel, when we arrived at midnight we went strait to are room to get a shower and soon as we put the water on to hot it started coming out orange! I went to reception told them about it and the man said he couldn't do anything at the time and told me to come again in the morning, so that's exactly what I did, when I did this It was a women and she told me it's perfectly fine we just need to run it for a while so that's what we did and there was no change in the colour so in the end we was just forced to have a wash in it, later on in the day I spoke to a few couple that had just recently arrived and I asked them what there water was like and they all said there's was fine and no dis colour too it so at this point I was abit annoyed but just carried on washing in it because I just wanted to get on with my holiday and enjoy my self but it really did make me feel uncomfortable throughtout the holiday. That was my mane problem with the hotel second was the staff they was so rude! They either need to hire new staff or really have serious word with the ones they have because they made me feel I couldn't go out and ask them questions. But if you enjoy being dragged of your sunbed thoughtout the hole of your stay by the animation team then this is the place for you. I personally wouldn't go back but I would go back to th island itself because the weather was beautiful a bit windy to start with but nice! But overall I got the deal really cheap so I wouldn't expect much more but I wouldn't give the hotel 4 stars more like just a 3 at push! Also having to pay for wifi that never connects is a rip off. But the food was beautiful! Really did enjoy the Chinese they do there if I could rate it out of ten it would be ten.

• Stayed July 2014
oxford
Reviewed July 8, 2014

A very good all inclusive hotel !! The food was always good plenty of choice if you can't find something to eat there's something wrong with you !! Fresh pizzas pasta and a griddle bar !!
The rooms were kept very clean and towels every day !! Bathrooms a bit on the small side
The staff always friendly and helpful very good bar staff especially Sophia and Katie and restaurant manager Hercules always polite

Reception staff also were very helpful
Hotel set in beautiful gardens
Air conditioning remotes and pool towels you pay a deposit but is refundable
All in all we had a lovely holiday and would return

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room near facilities otherwise you have a bit of a walk
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
oxford
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just returned 7/07 from the akti this is our 5th visit this year it was so much more relaxed than previous the Russians and the Italians seem to have gone it was great the food as always was fabulous staff wonderfull we were given a room in the annexe which was a trek I went to see the manageress and asked if we could be moved as I'd had my kidney out and it was quite a trek within 2 days we had been allocated room 305 ground floor over the pool this was great there is no faults yet again this hotel is amazing the staff are great and the manageress is very lovely can't wait as usual to return

Room Tip: 305 ground floor pool view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mariecurieOxford
Mallwyd
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Week commencing 26/06/2014 2 families with older children. Excellent food choice every day. Lunch was good plenty of choice and evening meal even better with good white and red wine. Sweets better than any other country/hotel we have visited. If you choose something different each evening you have plenty of choice. Breakfast was excellent also. Pancakes and omelettes.
Sushi and Chinese was fantastic. Rooms very clean and spacious. Choice of 3 pools. The first one was great if you wanted to take part in the animation activities, the second one by the theatre was a quieter one and there was another by the gym. Animation Team very friendly and tried hard to entertain. Lamb dishes good and salads also. Booked a Nysaros Island visit through the travel agent outside the bus stop in Kardamena - 22 euros with pickup from hotel, but the return to hotel went wrong - misunderstanding. We paid 1.80 euro to return by bus (no problem at all). The hotel runs a bus to Kos Town for 9 euros - well worth visiting, Had lunch at Restaurant Select in the main square - lovely and friendly - well worth a visit. Beach at hotel is at bottom of gardens - very slippery and large stones. People did book their sunbeds (free) with towels (before 9am). Kardamena has a lovely harbour - well worth visit in evening on the free hotel bus. You have to pay 20 euros for air con/tv remote which is reimbursed on leaving. Towels for beach - 10 euros which is refunded. Shower a little hot and cold on some days.
Overall a wonderful holiday all inc and would be happy to return tomorrow.

Room Tip: Our room as facing the main pool. No noise at night. Would choose these rooms again. Nice balcony f...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank huwjones792
Ashkelon, Israel
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Low Lights

1. Old rooms with poor furnitures
2. Deposit for remout controls of TVs, Air Conddition (20 eu), pool towels (10 per unit).
3. TVs are poor old type with bad reception and minimum chanels.
4. All internet is with charge, even in the lobby.
5. Staff are overworking and it shows in the attitude.
6. Swerage smell in the yards from used water purification systems in the yards.
7. Shower was very tight and it was like taking a shower in a cofin.
8. Stair, 4 cm from room to the bathroom coused all of us to trip and bang our toes.
9. Lack of pest control caused a masive ammount of huge wasps (Vespa Orientalis) to fly all around.
10. Not sufficient H&S performance.
11. Terible bed with a bad mattress.

High Lights
==========
1. Good food
2. Nice beach
3. Good pool bars
4. Many pools so enough room to all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Arrived on the 12/06/2014.
Travelled since 4am. Arrived at reception very tired about 1pm. The reception girl said we will show you to your room in five minutes after a long check in .
She very kindly just forgot we were there,after forty minutes we got very direct with her and she made some effort to find the one and only porter. He was very a very nice man and said he was sorry but was never told we were waiting
Holiday was boring and the room very dreary and very poor lighting ,just a soap pump for toiletries.
Food was ok. If it was just for a week. We could never get a English speaking channel on the TV. Only the news.
Never go there again.

Sheila seabrook.

Room Tip: Think all the rooms must be dreary like ours was.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends