“Don't waste your money”

Mammis Beach Studios
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Firstly can I say we have been to Greece on several occasions and always stay in 2-3 star accommodation and are used to how Greek hotels are but…

This hotel was truly the most soul destroying hotel we have stayed in. It was in the middle of nowhere, with barren landscape around and an uninviting beach over the road. On arrival we were ‘greeted’ by the owner George and shown to our room which was on the ground floor down some steep steps, first impressions was just that it was another Greek hotel rooms. On further inspection it was a double bed with single sheets overlapping, that weren’t completely clean (they were filthy but had dust marks on), one of the drawers didn’t open on the dressing table and the floor wasn’t that clean. The ‘self-catering’ facilities were truly shocking… a fridge, cutlery and a few plates and cups. A kettle was provided but that was it. We coped for a few days trying to cut bread with a butter knife, then my boyfriend asked for a sharp knife to cut bread and the owner’s wife became moody and insisted we brought it back when we were finished – it was only a steak knife!! The bathroom had a shower curtain (a positive)… the toilet was dirty, with other peoples urine under the seat when my boyfriend lifted it, also urine coloured stains on the cistern. The maid service was the worst, every other day she came and literally just emptied the bins, every 4 days she would change the sheets. She didn’t even bother cleaning the toilet or mopping the floors – disgusting, horrible. I ended up cleaning the bathroom floor with a baby wipe and my boyfriend wiped the toilet – urgh! This hotel only has 21 rooms, so the maid doesn’t exactly have a heavy work load. The curtains are horrendous, so it gets bright sunshine in your room at 6 am, the door is glass too letting the light in. Also there are large gaps around the door so you can hear everything going on outside - including drunk neighbours who sit outside 'talking' at 4am.

The location was horrible – who ever said it’s a 15-20 minute walk must be Usain Bolt… we timed it coming back from the edge of town in the dark (therefore cool) and it was 35 minutes. We do not walk slow and witnessed no one walking faster. Because of this we were forced to hire a quad bike for the holiday as it would be a good 90 min trip to pop in for bread in the morning or anything you want in the room. The breakfast at the hotel is an okay price, however as someone mentioned… other prices are high (if you order tzatziki you have to pay €2 extra to get pitas) and WATCH YOUR BILL. We were definitely over charged by €2 or €3 euros the first day and we witnessed other people be overcharged on their bills. The atmosphere around the pool was poor… hardly anyone there and it felt as though people were running away in the mornings. The pool is salt water – it doesn’t mention this anywhere and for people like me with eczema this means no pool. I went in once and am still suffering from the resulting eczema patches 5 days later. These apartments are WINDY, VERY WINDY – you have to wrestle with your towel to get in on the sunbed then jump on before the next gale force gust. A breeze would’ve been nice, but this was like hurricane Katrina!! Apparently this is normal as the wind blows over the mountains to the sea. This doesn’t create a relaxing atmosphere at all.
The BBQ they do at the hotel is okay – costs €10 and you get unlimited salad, a pork chop and a sausage. The chop was lovely and the salad was good too, there’s also a quiz.

All of this combined caused us to cut our holiday from 11 nights to 7 (at our cost) as we just didn’t want to be there at all. The resort of Kardamena is nice, lots of a nice restaurants; just a shame about this hotel.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are horrible, maybe the first floor rooms are better?
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Twidly

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent 10 days there. Some people return every year for more than 5 times! The pool is nice, the beach is really quiet. The room was clean and cosy with some kitchen facilities. I liked the food in the restaurant. My kids recall George, the host, often, and they want to return back!

Room Tip: Any room is good I suppose
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank anna7us
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very disappointed, very poor def not somewhere for children, we got there and was showed to our shocking room, shower room was filthy, a very small, living/bedroom area especially for three children and myself...my eldest being 16 having to share the same room to sleep and change in has is mum, wasn't great..myself and my 10 year old had to share the double bed, which would of been fine if we didn't have to share it with three of us (my 1 year old baby) because there was no travel cot when we got there, when we asked they brought the most disgusting thing, which had mould and was filthy out..I was disgusted, you wouldn't put your child in something like that. The kitchen was tiny and wasn't self catering ...a kettle was supplied, but they also say you cannot bring your own food onto the resort??? So you have to eat there food, I. Which I didn't or my children fine great. We asked to be moved to a balcony because has you walk out the apartment at the bottom,there are 5 steep steps, in which we were unable to just sit out and watch the day go by because my 1 yr old wanted to climb them all the time, George refused to move us, and said there stairs were not dangerous...Mmmm...not in my opinion. Also when we arrived George came to our apartment and said we needed air con, it was dark by morning once we had read the notice on the door we were shocked to find out that we would have to pay 35 euros a week for air conditioning..disgusting (it should be said and told to you on arrival or before stated ). The beach across the road, is very dangerous for kids..even George came across and told us "not good beach" but why advertise it as different. My son broke his finger slipping on a rock, in the water. Wen asked for a highchair they wasn't sure they had one, they brought out a plastic thing with a string for my baby to sit in, very unsafe no straps..for the rest of our hols he had to sit in bios buggy. On the day of leaving we had to be out for 11:30, our flight wasn't til 7:20 in the evening, to stay in our apartment we would have to pay another 25euros...George said why didn't I want it for my children...another money scam. There was some lovely people we met there. Which made it a better stay..but the apartments are shabby, and I wouldn't ever go there again. To catch a tax we had to pay 8euros. The bus comes before ten, but then stops til 2pm, so it's a rush to get out before having to stay at the terrible place...I ended up paying for a boat trip to go over to bod rum, to be with my parents it was that bad. Please anyone with children do not go here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sammiejay
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We was put in this place after on the beach messed up my booking . As a single mum with my son. The owner seemed determined to get as much money out of me as possible. We were booked for 14 days. But came home after 4. He refused to accept the accommodation voucher which he had said he would. Then demand at 9.30 in the evening that i pay him for whole 14days up front or get out. Had already paid him for the so called difference. And air con. He was even putting up the cost of using the internet while i was on it trying to sort out mess. He had done the same to some young people. And kept their passports unless they paid again. Me and my son returned on next available flight. The hellieday is what my son calls it. The rep was useless. Only help was from local English people.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank bubble1967
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at Mammis Beach between 14th July - 21st July, this is our 4th visit to this place. George welcomed us back home and made sure we had our usual room. This is a family run complex run by George, Renata and their children. The accomodation is a 20-25 min walk into town, which means you have the best of both worlds, nice and quiet in the day and then great bars/ restaurants in the town at night.
The food at Mammis Beach is also excellent, especially George's bbq night, I am vegetarian but he always makes me something special to eat!
Thanks for a great holiday, will see you again next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Snashall
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for a week and we loved it, we are both early 30's and this place was perfect for us and it would suit all age groups too.
Its such a nice complex situated a leisurely 15/20 minute stroll outside of the town along the coast road.
Its a family run set-up and George and his family couldnt be nicer.
Upon our arrival we were greeted by the owner who introduced himself and took us to our room for a walk thru.
The food here is fantastic especially Georges BBQ nite and the Mousaka.
All the food is homemade by George and his wife and its a reasonable price too, some of the nicest meals on our holidays were eaten here.
George is a character and we loved him.
The beach directly outside is sandy but going into the water is a pain because its all rocks below the waterline. However a few minutes walk to the right of the complex lies a perfect one for swimming.
I could not fault this place (ok it could do with fly screens on the windows to keep the damn mozzies out) and for the cost it really is exceptional value.
Dont let the two stars fool you and we would definately go back.
Denis and louie.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DenisG6
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at manmis beach for a week. We wished we could of stayed longer. We had a welcome drink on arrival. George shook our hands and made us feel very welcome. Rooms were clean, food was lovely, prices were fair. We hired push bikes for the week, so we was able to ride in to town within 10 minuets. Would recommend the tajmahal Indian restaurant , it was delicious , very friendly staff. All in all we loved our stay had lots of laughs with George and his wife is such a lovely lady, his daughter and son both work there, they r a credit to them both. The staff also were helpful and gave us there best service.was sad to say goodbye . We will defiantly go back again and again. Paulene and Jim

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank fattypig
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Kalimera Mare Hotel
Origin Hotel Apartments
Origin Hotel Apartments
#17 of 39 in Kardamena
Mitsis Summer Palace Beach Hotel

Been to Mammis Beach Studios? Share your experiences!